***** Doctor Octopus (Classic) *****

Comments

• SangFroid
    SangFroid Posts: 177 Tile Toppler
    Thanks for the report DrDevilDinosaur!

This makes Ock a lot more interesting now!
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    You'll get more flexibility with Green Goblin as his partner too since you can use his yellow to reduce the CD tile counter to 1 and match it. Bringing another tile swapper like Coulson or Mr.F and it should be easy to match the CD tile. 
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker

Ugh, follow up report: it appears I was mistaken.

I played a few more matches in pursuit of getting that I Win Button, and had a few opportunities to match away a fortified reactor. The reactor is created on any random basic colour tile, so I think the first case it must have been on Green and I just hadn't been paying too much attention to my AP levels.

My other theory is that perhaps the reactor was matched by an enemy rather than in a match I made.

In either case, I feel like there's definitely a mismatch here between the wording of the ability and the behaviour of the tile. It states that the Green AP should be gained if the reactor is included in a match, and the power reverting to Cunning Scheme is triggered by the tile being destroyed - this specifically implies that tiles can be matched but not destroyed.

I will keep on testing

• SangFroid

Based on the clarifications about Fortified tiles it should work as you originally reported

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/65102/additional-info-about-fortified-tiles-5-31-17#latest

• HobieCat76
    HobieCat76 Posts: 73 Match Maker
    Cthulhu said:
    Tried to put a hint that wasn't too obvious, stop sign has 8 sides.  Putting his abilities up now.  I can put the old ***** unknown coming soon ***** if that's what you guys want, I thought i'd try something different by putting the quote up and the preview for a change
    @Cthulhu - I actually really liked that you used the clue quote as the placeholder instead of the "unknown coming soon."  I just found this particular clue to be pretty obscure and just needed it explained to me.  All cool.
  • SangFroid
    I was able to pull a green Ock and tested with 5*HE and it did not grant the green AP when matching a fortified power plant. Only able to test it once so far will try again but not looking promising...
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Looks like fun to play, though not very practical. Black is kind of a really bland version of Carol's black with stuns instead of damage. I'm unsure on blue - I assume Tentacle tiles will be unmatchable a la Eye of Agamotto/The Silent King, but even then you need a lot of blue to get any real mileage out of it. If they're not it's just really bad.

Green is certainly interesting but holy hell dude. Insta-booming it with Carol would be viable - nearly 30k AOE is nothing to sneeze at - but I can't see ever getting the insta-win unless you literally build your whole team around that one move, which will be slow and inefficient, which in turn is not a good strategy. Between this and Gamora's black, I really hope these absurdly convoluted instant kill moves aren't going to become a regular thing.
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2017
    SangFroid said:
    I was able to pull a green Ock and tested with 5*HE and it did not grant the green AP when matching a fortified power plant. Only able to test it once so far will try again but not looking promising...
    Edited: I misread the power description. This seems to be a bug then. It should grant you green AP, according to the new fortified tile behavior.
  • robertbah
    robertbah Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    I tested it many times but no green AP was returned. Furthermore, the final win condition is not automatically reach when the counter is 1 and you need to match it away. In that case, fortified reactor prevents you from achieving the condition.

http://http//imgur.com/a/ZIz3Q
  • robertbah
    robertbah Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    I just paired him with coulson and I reach his win condition on the first try. Don't pair him with GG but coulson for the obvious reasons. 
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    The irony with his green power is that even if you don't match it away at 1 turn left, you'll probably still get the instant win with 28K team damage (unless you're fighting max-champed 5*s). 
  • bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Jarvind said:
    I assume Tentacle tiles will be unmatchable a la Eye of Agamotto/The Silent King, but even then you need a lot of blue to get any real mileage out of it. If they're not it's just really bad.
    As far as I can tell, the Tentacle tiles are not inherently protected in any way.
  • seraphiel
    seraphiel Posts: 56 Match Maker
    450+ CPs later, zero draws of him from the event. So never mind, I guess. Just one more gaping hole in the roster. ;)

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Can anyone confirm that his insta-win is useless on wave nodes because it only clears the current 3 opponents?

That works for deadpool's super whales, but this mechanic is so much more complex it should end any match instantly.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2017
    seraphiel said:
    450+ CPs later, zero draws of him from the event. So never mind, I guess. Just one more gaping hole in the roster. ;)

When did you run this 450CP? Since you just made a recent post, I hope you weren't pulling for Ock outside of his special 10% rate store. 
    He's not available in Latest Legends until sometime Thursday (I believe). 
  • seraphiel
    seraphiel Posts: 56 Match Maker
    seraphiel said:

When did you run this 450CP? Since you just made a recent post, I hope you weren't pulling for Ock outside of his special 10% rate store. 
    He's not available in Latest Legends until sometime Thursday (I believe). 
    Hah, no, it was definitely in the supposed 10% store. I only use CPs in the new release events; ISO drops are too low for me to bother on either of the other draws. Usually I get at least one of the 5* covers out of 400-500 CPs for the new releases, but not this time. :P
  • Uninspired
    Uninspired Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    Vhailorx said:
    Can anyone confirm that his insta-win is useless on wave nodes because it only clears the current 3 opponents?

That works for deadpool's super whales, but this mechanic is so much more complex it should end any match instantly.
    I managed to complete the cunning scheme in a wave node and didn't win outright, going to the next wave instead. There were only three characters left, so I have no idea what completing the scheme does if there are 4+ characters left in the wave.

I assume one benefit of this power is that it gets around things like airborne characters avoiding damage or Elektra's black, both of which should stop whales. Not that I expect either situation to be common, but it would be disappointing if it couldn't even overcome those.
  • CCW1208
    CCW1208 Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    Have anyone tried oct blue passive power before?. I used thanos and octopus together in wave node. Thanos stun enemy and octopus. But octopus tentackle did not make any move. Is it bug or just I misunderstand his power????
  • Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    CCW1208 said:
    Have anyone tried oct blue passive power before?. I used thanos and octopus together in wave node. Thanos stun enemy and octopus. But octopus tentackle did not make any move. Is it bug or just I misunderstand his power????
    You have to use the active part at least once. Passive works only if there are friendly tentacle tiles on the board (one auto-match per tentacle tile when stunned)
  • KJB Agent
    KJB Agent Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Vhailorx said:

I managed to complete the cunning scheme in a wave node and didn't win outright, going to the next wave instead. There were only three characters left, so I have no idea what completing the scheme does if there are 4+ characters left in the wave.

I assume one benefit of this power is that it gets around things like airborne characters avoiding damage or Elektra's black, both of which should stop whales. Not that I expect either situation to be common, but it would be disappointing if it couldn't even overcome those.
    That is disappointing.  With a description like "he wins the battle!" and the complexity of the power it seems like it should lead to an outright win.