Additional Info About Fortified Tiles (5/31/17)

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
Hi Everyone,

There have been some questions lately regarding the changes to Fortify tiles, introduced in the most recent update, so here is Anthony from Demiurge with some more information:
Previously, Fortify tiles functioned very similarly to Locked tiles in that matching the tile did not do damage, give the player AP, or activate tiles that have effects when matched or removed. In R127, we expanded the use of Fortify tiles to increase their value and make them more versatile. 

Matching a fortified tile will behave as if you matched tile, but it will not be destroyed. This means that any tile that activates when matched will now be able to be matched twice! We are excited to design powers in the future to further take use of these changes. 

Below is a list of some of the Trap and Countdown tiles that will be directly impacted by these changes:

Trap tiles
  • Daredevil (Man Without Fear)'s Ambush Trap tile - Deals damage, creates an  Ambush Trap tile, and the original Trap tile remains
  • Nick Fury (Director of S.H.I.EL.D.)'s Demolition Trap tile - All trap tiles are removed (no change. The destruction of the Trap tiles happens after the match has been made)
  • Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew)'s To Love and Fear Trap tile - Deals damage and the Trap tile remains
Countdown tiles
  • Medusa (Inhuman Queen)'s Entanglement Countdown tile - Create 2 Attack tiles and the Countdown tile remains.
  • Daredevil (Man Without Fear)'s Billy Club - Gain AP and the Countdown tile remains.
  • Rocket and Groot (Awesome Mix Volume 2)'s Atomic Bomb Countdown tile - Deal Damage to the enemy team, your team, and the Countdown tile remains.
  • Deadpool (Uncanny X-Force)'s Countdown for What Countdown tile - Deals damage and the Countdown tile remains

Comments

• Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Wait, what? Who fortifies trap tiles? C4ge?
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Okay, I guess we know how Doc Ock's green is supposed to work now - Supervillain Team-Up starring Green Goblin!
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    edited May 2017
    Okay, I guess we know how Doc Ock's green is supposed to work now - Supervillain Team-Up starring Green Goblin!
    I considered that, but you still have to unfortify it and match it. GG + Quake blue for the win? 

EDIT: I see zulux post below makes this moot. But damn, 10 turns is a long time. I have never seen a Maggia Don black 10-turn resolve... ever.
  • zulux21
    zulux21 Posts: 249 Tile Toppler
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    I considered that, but you still have to unfortify it and match it. GG + Quake blue for the win? 

Pffffftttt...
    you don't have to unfortify it, you get all benefits of matching a fortified tile as if it wasn't fortified now.

but yeah I didn't realize you could fortify traps o.O

also. I think Hawkeye 5* + 3* daredevil could be fun on a wave to go crazy with blue :P
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    How often do you fight a Don whose trap tiles are automatically fortified every turn, though? It's not easy to get rid of countdowns when Norman's around. Still doable, even when the tile gets accelerated, but not automatic.
  • RemoDestroyer
    RemoDestroyer Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    So if a random red basic tile gets fortified with Daredevil in the match I'm guessing that's the trap.

Same with Fury and J Drew.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone,

There have been some questions lately regarding the changes to Fortify tiles, introduced in the most recent update, so here is Anthony from Demiurge with some more information:
    Previously, Fortify tiles functioned very similarly to Locked tiles in that matching the tile did not do damage, give the player AP, or activate tiles that have effects when matched or removed. In R127, we expanded the use of Fortify tiles to increase their value and make them more versatile. 

Matching a fortified tile will behave as if you matched tile, but it will not be destroyed. This means that any tile that activates when matched will now be able to be matched twice! We are excited to design powers in the future to further take use of these changes. 

• Deadpool (Uncanny X-Force)'s Countdown for What Countdown tile - Deals damage and the Countdown tile remains
    XFDP/DD double damage? Seems like a buff! Nice!
  • rubix_qube
    rubix_qube Posts: 69 Match Maker
    Are these fortified trap tiles? Seems to defeat the purpose of a trap if everyone knows where they are.
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    If traps don't count as special tiles (see Gamora's instant kill), Cage shouldn't fortify them.

My guess would be that a special tile gets fortified, then unspecialed (by Jean Grey's purple, for example), then the fortified basic tile gets a trap placed on it.
  • bowla33
    bowla33 Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    @brigby - C4ge does not fortify Spiderwomans trap tiles, so it appears there is a bug? His yellow power will not fire with only traps on the board.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sounds like this is a change for a future toon. No one currently fortifies traps. And trying to get a trap on an empty fortified tile sounds like a ridiculous exercise in frustration not even worth the mention in the OP.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Or 5*Hawkeye - do people forget that he can fortify up to 3 tiles a turn?
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Are these fortified trap tiles? Seems to defeat the purpose of a trap if everyone knows where they are.
    Only slightly.  Not knowing where they are is one problem, knowing where they are but having to clear them twice (and remember where it as after the first match) is another.

My guess on why they mention fortified trap tiles is either this:

There are/can be instances where a tile is fortified as a special tile, that special inside of it is removed without matching it (an interesting way I found out last event is using 4Cage to fortify Daken's strike tiles and then Daken's blue to remove the strike inside them), then the tile becomes a trap tile
    or they have a character coming up who will do fortified trap tiles (but I would think the above is the more likely)
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Sounds like this is a change for a future toon. No one currently fortifies traps. And trying to get a trap on an empty fortified tile sounds like a ridiculous exercise in frustration not even worth the mention in the OP.

THIS.
    Everyone, please be careful for others reading this thread. 
    No one currently in the game fortifies Trap tiles.

Yes, a rare circumstance may occur where a newly placed trap may land on a standard-fortified tile (which happened to previously have a special, then it was removed by a power). That's around a 1 in 64 chance of happening.

Now, the news about fortified CD's staying on the board while also qualifying for their matched-power is great, and MUCH more likely to happen.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    bbigler said:
    Or 5*Hawkeye - do people forget that he can fortify up to 3 tiles a turn?
    Only countdown tiles.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Hi Everyone. That's correct that currently no characters are able to directly fortify trap tiles. Having said that though, it's also not impossible for a trap tile to be created within a fortified tile.

(You're all pretty clever. I'll let the community figure out the method for that one :p )
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    So if you were fortifying R+G's bomb tile in order to prevent Groot matching it away and causing self damage, that won't work any more.  But in exchange for that, the bomb can explode twice now.
  • SangFroid
    SangFroid Posts: 177 Tile Toppler
    Brigby

Can you confirm that this is the intended effect for the new 5* Doc Ock. The current wording is pretty nebulous.

If Ock's countdown tile is fortified and it is matched is the intended behaviour that it will generate green AP and remain on the board?

Before investing in a very hard to aquire character it would be nice to be sure.