Additional Info About Fortified Tiles (5/31/17)

2»

Comments

• Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    @SangFroid
    Based on the following quote from the announcement, I would say that yes, it would generate green AP and remain on the board:
    Matching a fortified tile will behave as if you matched tile, but it will not be destroyed. This means that any tile that activates when matched will now be able to be matched twice!
  • SangFroid
    SangFroid Posts: 177 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2017

Brigby said:
    @SangFroid
    Based on the following quote from the announcement, I would say that yes, it would generate green AP and remain on the board:
    Matching a fortified tile will behave as if you matched tile, but it will not be destroyed. This means that any tile that activates when matched will now be able to be matched twice!

Currently from the times I was able to test it, it does not grant the AP

• DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    SangFroid said:
    Brigby said:
    @SangFroid

Currently from the times I was able to test it, it does not grant the AP
    This is a major disappointment! I thought this could have been a tactic usable for Docock. If this doesn't work, Docock will be worst than I initially thought

@Brigby : could you please see with the devs if this is a bug or working as intented?
  • Brigby
    @SangFroid @DrNitroman
    I just spoke to the developers about this issue this morning, and they will be investigating as to why the new mechanics of fortify tiles aren't working with Doctor Octopus (Classic)'s countdown tile.
  • SangFroid
    Brigby said:
    @SangFroid @DrNitroman
    I just spoke to the developers about this issue this morning, and they will be investigating as to why the new mechanics of fortify tiles aren't working with Doctor Octopus (Classic)'s countdown tile.
    Thanks @brigbythat is great!
  • MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Why is it when a fortified special tile is removed the tile itself remains fortified? Is this a bug?

I've noticed when bullseye removed power man's special tiles those tiles stay fortfied. Does that still count towards the bonus of his yellow power?
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Brigby said:
    @SangFroid @DrNitroman
    Thanks @Brigby , it's nice to know that you are here to forward our questions to the devs! ;)
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why is it when a fortified special tile is removed the tile itself remains fortified? Is this a bug?

I've noticed when bullseye removed power man's special tiles those tiles stay fortfied. Does that still count towards the bonus of his yellow power?
    Probably because Bullseye isn't destroying the tile: just removing its status as a strike/protect/attack tile.  I've noticed the same when overwriting a fortified tile with Captain America: the fortified state remains.

As for Luke Cage's yellow power, the fortified tile no longer contains a friendly special tile so I wouldn't expect it to count for his power.
  • Brigby

@MaxxPowerz
    That is intended behavior for the tile to remain fortified, even after a special tile within it has been removed by an ability.

Fortified tiles are not considered special tiles. Based on the description of Luke C4ge's yellow, I would expect that once the special tile has been removed, it no longer counts towards the additional damage.
  • MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2017
    Special case: when you move a fortified tile to make a match-5, and the fortified tile is the *middle* tile of the match-5, it will be destroyed and replaced with a critical tile. 

Obviously, it would be nice (but unlikely) to end up with a fortified critical tile, or to somehow get the critical tile and also keep the special tile intact (but no longer fortified). Not sure if this is deliberate behaviour or not, but it is what happens. 
  • dstann
    dstann Posts: 55 Match Maker

That is intended behavior for the tile to remain fortified, even after a special tile within it has been removed by an ability.

@Brigby What is the point of a fortified tile if it doesn't protect the special tile within?  I always thought there sort of abilities should destroy the fortification while leaving the special tile, like when the fortified tile is matched,
  • SangFroid
    dstann said:

@Brigby What is the point of a fortified tile if it doesn't protect the special tile within?  I always thought there sort of abilities should destroy the fortification while leaving the special tile, like when the fortified tile is matched,
    It protects it from being matched away it just doesn't protect it from powers
  • dstann
    dstann Posts: 55 Match Maker
    SangFroid said:
    dstann said:

I understand that I just think it should.
  • Brigby
    edited June 2017
    @dstann
    What SangFroid described as the intended functionality is correct. When it comes to whether it should protect from abilities, well that would be a judgement call from the designers. 

I can pass along the idea to them, and they can take it into consideration. In addition, if you're interested in discussing this idea with players, then feel free to create a thread in the Suggestions & Feedback section. Thanks!
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    dstann said:
    SangFroid said:
    dstann said:

I understand that I just think it should.
    Fortified tiles would be broken if they were that strong. Letting powers get through them 1) keeps them in check, letting players have a way to deal with them and 2) keeps abilities strong/useful. Things that completely shut down powers should be extremely powerful and rare. There's no point in playing with this wide variety of characters if they can be made useless by something simple like fortified tiles. We already see combos like Medusa/Carnage for their strength with special tiles, they would only get stronger if fortifying their tiles made it so powers couldn't be used to counter them.

It's like invisibility, it's powerful, but it has weaknesses to keep the game balanced, and to prevent the mechanic from becoming the most important thing in the game.

Now, I could totally see a boss event where the boss fortifies tiles, and has a passive ability that says "Fortified tiles cannot be targeted by enemy powers" or something. It could be an interesting challenge for a single fight. But it's too significant of a change to apply to the entire game.