***** Doctor Octopus (Classic) *****

1235»

Comments

• Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    It should, I'm sure the wave node thing was an oversight/coding-nightmare, but it should have been better implemented. 
    I'm hoping to find that you get the green AP when the CD is matched when fortified.
    Just got this green power last night, so I'll be playing around with it today.
  • Over__Flow
    Over__Flow Posts: 59
    Doc has now been available for some time and I can say that I never found another player using one(either champed or undercovered). I think I am the only player using him at the moment(he is one of my 3 champed 5*).
    This alone talk more than anything else about how disliked/underpowered he is.

As I used him for pvp/pve here are my thoughts:

First the bug that does not give green AP when fortified reactor(I suppose it is the same for the 1 turn win condition) makes him worse than he should. Maybe he would be better but not a lot.

Black power is nice, stun is handy but awful vs BP and strike tiles are quite big. I find it better when you have a teammate that can fortify it. I think he would need black AP cost lowered to 9 ( most of the time it end up being better using c4rol black...) and/or make the tile fortified at rank 5.

Blue power may be nice but it is so costly that it is hard to use fully. Even with some blue AP battery you need big amount of blue to deal real damage. As tentacles can be matched you want most of the time to stack AP before launching, which kind of defeat the purpose of the passive. To me it needs cost reduction to 6 blue AP and/or upped damage and/or fortified/non matchable tentacles and/or a passive way to generate tentacles(for example when you do a match 4 etc).

Finally green power. It is kind of fun but as efficiency goes...it can only be useful with the use of c4rol yellow. Getting a 20 to 30k aoe is really nice, but out of boosted week you really do not want to bring a 4* to 5* fights. I think the 10 turns countdown fits the character so I would keep it but with the green costs it is hard to use, not even mentioning other phases that are a joke. I think he needs costs reduced to 12/3/3 or only initial cost lowered to 12 then the heal being true heal and the phase 2 damages upped.

I really hope doc will be upped soon...even if that means I will not be anymore the only doc oc player...
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards

Blue power may be nice but it is so costly that it is hard to use fully. Even with some blue AP battery you need big amount of blue to deal real damage. As tentacles can be matched you want most of the time to stack AP before launching, which kind of defeat the purpose of the passive. To me it needs cost reduction to 6 blue AP and/or upped damage and/or fortified/non matchable tentacles and/or a passive way to generate tentacles(for example when you do a match 4 etc).
    I agree with most of your criticism of him (at least on paper and fighting against him, my Doc Ock only has two green covers), and I think the blue power is the one that's the most ripe for a redesign.  I think he should start with a couple tentacles on the board at the beginning of the match, but need to use blue to create more.  Also, perhaps the cost should be based on how many tentacles are out -- the more tentacles already in play, the more expensive it is to create more.  Maybe the cost should start at 4 AP, plus 2 AP per tentacle in play?  So that would be 4 AP at 0 tentacles, 8 at 2 (which is how the match would begin), and 12 at 4 tiles... but wait, at 12 AP that's a pretty high cost for not being able to make further ones.  Fine.  Let's add an additional effect.  If there are 4 in play, also have it fortify up to 2 friendly tentacle tiles (only one at 4 covers) when used.

Did... did I just make blue good?  Or simply overcomplicated?
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hmm. Fun change to tentacle tiles. "Moves 1 enemy special tile symbol toward an active tentacle at the beginning of your turn. If an enemy special tile is next to a tentacle tile at the beginning of your turn, destroy it, dealing damage and generating AP." It wouldn't be able to move tiles themselves, just move the enemy symbol on to an adjacent basic tile, moving around or between team up and friendly/enemy specials.
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    I'm taking parts of dayv idea and running with it. Give superior science a passive, "at the start of the match, create 4 fortified tentacle tiles." This is doctor octopus, not doctor six legged insect. Blue can remain the same after that and would be incredibly useful
  • CCW1208
    CCW1208 Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    I suggest change octopus blue passive power like
    1. Matching tentacle tile would generate ap: Lv1 generate green and black 1 ap. LV5 generate green, black , blue 2 ap. This would make octopus self accelerate his power and become good allies
    2 Or Matching tentacle tiles could decrease counting . LV1: decrease one,  Lv5: decrese counting to zero. This could be make octopus dangerous than before. 
  • Grizz875
    Grizz875 Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    How long does it take to get a buff for a character? Right now he makes Hulk look amazing
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,215 Chairperson of the Boards
    Is there such a thing as an optimal build here?  Mine is 4/5/4.  I sure don't want to champ him as my first champed 5, but I have a blue and a black on my vine.  I feel like I want 5 greens.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not that he's as awful as people make him to be but he needs some tweaks.

Make black cost 9 AP, that tile is not even fortified.

Blue needs to cost 7 AP, tentacles should be fortified because you need to multi-cast blue to get good damage out of it. The whole free moves thing needs a total overhaul.

Green is a big mess, it costs way too much with all the phases, that CD is too long as well. Its just not practical to ask the player to gather something like 27 green AP, seriously, who thought that was a good idea?
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    *Updated article with details of new ability rework
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2019
    Thanks for all of that work, champing him this weekend!
  • Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 546 Critical Contributor
    Has anyone else used the new Doc Ock-thoughts on his rework?
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Glockoma said:
    Has anyone else used the new Doc Ock-thoughts on his rework?
    Mine doesn't have enough covers to be usable, but I've seen people using him with America Chavez in PvP from time to time. The combination kinda make sense, since you get two rewards for one match-4. 
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    I have him at 420, I really enjoy his update, his green is quick and when played correctly can do a lot of damage or keep your health up.  His blue is solid but too dependent on matches to be great, black does nothing for me.  With a good green/blue feeder (IM40 or Vulture) he is a very solid pve toon now.  
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just played against a team with him in the Captain America PvP.  My Cap overwrote his last tentacle tile with the blue Peacemaker countdown tile.  Apparently, the tentacle only has to be on the board at the start of the time the ability is used, rather than the end of it, as Doc Ock was not stunned, even though there were no longer any of his tentacles on the board.

Not sure it's overly important, but something to keep in mind.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a question. With his reactor tile if it’s fortified and I match it I should get the damage and keep the tile correct? I believe I matched the fortified tile and nothing happened but wanted to make sure I didn’t miss it because that would make him a natural pair with Green Goblin.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    I believe so but I have not paired those two up.  You should get credit for the match so the game should count it as "destroyed" even though it remains on the board.  
  • Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 546 Critical Contributor
    I have a question. With his reactor tile if it’s fortified and I match it I should get the damage and keep the tile correct? I believe I matched the fortified tile and nothing happened but wanted to make sure I didn’t miss it because that would make him a natural pair with Green Goblin.
    I actually considered this quite a long time ago and requested clarification by the Devs. I was promptly returned with it being accurate due to the wording clearly stating “destroyed”. Therefore no effect occurs when matching it as a fortified tile.

Trust me, not what I wanted to hear either; would have been an exciting team.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    Glockoma said:
    I actually considered this quite a long time ago and requested clarification by the Devs. I was promptly returned with it being accurate due to the wording clearly stating “destroyed”. Therefore no effect occurs when matching it as a fortified tile.

Trust me, not what I wanted to hear either; would have been an exciting team.
    Actually the wording is “if matched away...”. I guess when fortified it gets matched, but not matched away. Makes sense.