***** Doctor Octopus (Classic) *****

Comments

• astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    Jarvind said:
    Jarvind said:
    Who's the Spider-Man that's secretly Doc Ock? Superior? That's my guess.
    Well, I was half right.

As for how the clue relates, I've been told it's one of the lines used by the Alfred Molina incarnation in the 2nd Tobey Maguire movie, though I haven't bothered to find it.
    Thanks @Jarvind!  That's... incredibly obscure.

"Stop me if you've heard this one!" was also the title of a one-page story/feature in Spidey Super Stores #21, which featured Doc Ock on the cover. I don't know if the actual feature mentioned Doc Ock, since I haven't seen it or if this is what Molina was referencing in the movie.
  • Cthulhu
    Cthulhu ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 410 Site Admin
    Tried to put a hint that wasn't too obvious, stop sign has 8 sides.  Putting his abilities up now.  I can put the old ***** unknown coming soon ***** if that's what you guys want, I thought i'd try something different by putting the quote up and the preview for a change
  • Cthulhu
    Cthulhu ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 410 Site Admin
    His powers are up!
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm no where near a 5* player so I could be wrong but he looks very underwhelming. Maybe not SL bad, more Hulk bad.

His black only stuns for 1 turn no matter the covers? That's Mordo lame. His blue at 8 would have been better at 6 to make it spammy. His green is confusing but it makes up for being different and cool cause I love "I Win" cards in MtG. I'm curious on the 5* players opinion of him.

At this point, I'll hoard CP until SL and Doc Ock leave.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm no where near a 5* player so I could be wrong but he looks very underwhelming. Maybe not SL bad, more Hulk bad.

His black only stuns for 1 turn no matter the covers? That's Mordo lame. His blue at 8 would have been better at 6 to make it spammy. His green is confusing but it makes up for being different and cool cause I love "I Win" cards in MtG. I'm curious on the 5* players opinion of him.

At this point, I'll hoard CP until SL and Doc Ock leave.
    The stun is per turn while the countdown is active with strike tiles and damage at the end. Tentacles damage can't be too low. The Tentacle tiles sound like special tiles that maybe can't be matched, and that damage ramps up pretty high (players will not be satisfied with that, preferring instant gratification).
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    Doesnt say cant be matched so it probably can be matched. Im also surprised the black isnt like strange where it does damage per turn.
  • spectator
    I also wonder if the aoe green damage always goes off when the countdown resolves regardless of which phase the power is in
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    spectator said:
    I also wonder if the aoe green damage always goes off when the countdown resolves regardless of which phase the power is in
    I'm pretty sure all of the effects from earlier phases carry over on the nuclear reactor tile. It says "upgrade" each time.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    spectator said:
    No. The initial damage is from power activation. It doesn't start doing damage per turn until upgraded. The way I'm reading it:
    Activate, immediate damage, place CD. It becomes Phase 2
    Phase 2, heal per turn, 8 AP to go to Phase 3
    Phase 3, adds damage per turn, 6 AP to go to Final Phase
    Final Phase, match it when it's at 1 to win

It's confusingly written, that's for sure.
  • spectator
    Im not talking about the damage per turn in phase 3, im reference the aoe damage when the countdown reaches zero. Cumulative effect would be nice
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    When in the comics do the tentacles become more useful when Octavius becomes incapacitated?  Aren't they linked to his brain or something?
  • Cactus_Jack_87
    Cactus_Jack_87 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    @Cthulhu can you confirm that each phase incorporates the previous phase's power, or is it upgraded to a completely different power? For example, at phase 3, is it doing burst healing, AoE damage, AND counting down to do AoE damage?
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2017
    zodiac339 said:
    spectator said:
    No. The initial damage is from power activation. It doesn't start doing damage per turn until upgraded. The way I'm reading it:
    Activate, immediate damage, place CD. It becomes Phase 2
    Phase 2, heal per turn, 8 AP to go to Phase 3
    Phase 3, adds damage per turn, 6 AP to go to Final Phase
    Final Phase, match it when it's at 1 to win

It's confusingly written, that's for sure.

spectator
     said:
    Im not talking about the damage per turn in phase 3, im reference the aoe damage when the countdown reaches zero. Cumulative effect would be nice

I believe spectator is right. Most power descriptions that state a damage value when placing a CD, it is meaning that for when it resolves, not when placed (i.e. War Machine red).

Which makes sense, say you just can't get enough additional green to Upgrade the reactor tile. If it somehow counts all the way down to -0- in its initial phase, you still get the stated small aoe damage once.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pairs well with Star-Lord.

Wait... he DOES pair well with Star-Lord o.O
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, I was excited a little about this character, but after seeing more detail of his powers, I'm very disappointed.  Let me explain:

10 Black Power - not as good as Dr Strange's blue stun for 9 AP.  If Ock's tile gets matched away, then you don't get the full 3 turn stun, unlike Dr Strange.  Plus, you won't get any damage or strike tiles, unlike Strange which damages every turn.  Strange also drains enemy AP for added defense.  So, this power is a bad version of Strange's, but it is black, so I would expect better damage output but lesser stunning than a blue power.

8 Blue Power - the damage ratio is below average for the 1st use, then above average for the 2nd use.  If these tentacle tiles can't be matched away, then this is a decent power, but if they can, it's just meh.  You need a blue AP engine to really make this work (8 Blue AP for 26K max damage).  The passive ability is pretty lame since he has to be stunned for it to work.  But if you built a team around this entire ability, it could be good though, being an AP engine and a cheap nuke.

13 Green Power - this reminds me of Bolt's green power that can deal 27K team damage, but at the expense of using all AP, but it's more similar to Thanos' green team nuke for 20K (which is much easier to use).  The biggest problem here is the 10 turn counter!  10 turns is an eternity in this game.  Some matches only last 10 turns.  The Doc could easily be downed before those 10 turns are up.  The best solution to this problem is 4*Carol to instant expire the tile.  But if you want to go with his overly complicated scheme......

....you would need a green AP engine, like Rhulk/3*Widow, and someone else to move specific tiles for matching, like Coulson/Fantastic in order to get to the final phase and match the tile for the instant win.   I suppose this isn't a terrible idea since it provides team healing and enemy team damage during the countdown, but 10 turns is forever.  You'll need some stunning and/or AP stealing to survive that long. 

My conclusion: he's a difficult character to use, requiring a specialized team to justify his existence, which means that he's near the bottom of the 5* pack.  This is frustrating to me because I'm planning to open my LL hoard before 5* Hawkeye leaves, but that means I'll also get Star Lord and Ock at the same time.  I think he needs to be re-worked to the following:

10 Black Power (reworked) - this needs to be his solid power, since his other power's are niche situations.  So, make it a 4-turn CD tile that stuns every turn AND deals 3000 damage AND creates 600 Strike tiles, each turn until expired.  Yes, this is good, but it's supposed to be good since his other power's are difficult to use.

6 Blue Power (reworked) - simply reduce the cost to 6 and the damage to 5000 each and this becomes a legit ability.  The auto-matching when stunned can remain the bonus if you pull it off.

10 Green Power (reworked) - make it an 8-turn fortified tile and require 6 Green to upgrade to phase 3.  Leave the rest the same.  It's still complicated, but more practical. 
  • SangFroid
    SangFroid Posts: 177 Tile Toppler

Final Phase costs 0 Green AP: (PASSIVE) All his work has led to this perfect moment.  If Doc Ock’s Nuclear Reactor is matched away when it’s timer reads “1” he wins the battle!  If Doc Ock’s Nuclear Reactor is matched at another time, gain 18 Green AP.  If it’s destroyed, this power becomes Cunning Scheme.

So the way I am reading it is you need to let the countdown sit out for 9 turns, upgrade it twice, and then be lucky enough to be able to match it on exactly the turn it is at 1 for the autowin criteria......

While I am certainly not in favour of a simple criteria for an autowin this seems pretty unlikely

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sure. If it just expires, though, it's a pretty big AOE (bigger than Phoenix Force or Quasi-Sonic Scream, although no board shake), so if you can speed that up you'll get reasonable value.

Owing to the change to Fortified tiles it would seem that if you fortify the tile and then match it yourself, you gain the 11/14/18 Green AP and the tile isn't removed, which would put you pretty well on track for Final Phase. Might combo well with Green Goblin for that reason.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sure. If it just expires, though, it's a pretty big AOE (bigger than Phoenix Force or Quasi-Sonic Scream, although no board shake), so if you can speed that up you'll get reasonable value.

Owing to the change to Fortified tiles it would seem that if you fortify the tile and then match it yourself, you gain the 11/14/18 Green AP and the tile isn't removed, which would put you pretty well on track for Final Phase. Might combo well with Green Goblin for that reason.
    Fortifying the tile and then matching it sounds awesome, but Green Goblin and Powerman are not the only people that can fortify tiles, don't forget 5*Hawkeye.  Why does everyone forget that, he's awesome!
  • SangFroid
    SangFroid Posts: 177 Tile Toppler

28,753 AOE is big but for 13 green and 10 turns it does not seem remotely good in comparison to Quasi Sonic Scream or Thanos Green.  If you managed to pay the extra 14 green and then got an additional 3305 AOE for all ten turns I would agree but that is not likely to happen and you would still be way better served by a double Thanos Green.  Having the burst healing upgrade blocking you from the AOE is bad.  If they were reversed it would improve the skill immensely.

If the fortify/matching green generation works as you propose that could make the skill a lot more interesting.  My gut instinct is that it wont work that way though and will only grant AP when it is matched "away" as it says in the final phase description. Hope you are right here and I'm wrong.