Heroes for Hire - Price Update (5/19/17)

Options

Comments

• liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    fmftint said:
    revskip said:

People still quote something Ice-X said a very long time ago.  
    On this, I think people like to misquote or edit out Ice-X's full thought: "You're supposed to lose health..." in reference to fighting Galactus or Boss Battles, but all you usually get is the spun up anti D3 slogan: "You're supposed to lose"
    The only one misquoting him is YOU
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/33616/on-galactus-run-1-game-feel-vs-ultron

You're supposed to lose.
    Read the whole post. 
    He says "You're supposed to lose" in a variety of tone deaf ways. Lose the match, "lose the health packs," "going into a battle you may well lose." I think this is also a debate you're going to lose, at least here, where the outrage over this went on for months.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Options
    fmftint said:
    revskip said:

People still quote something Ice-X said a very long time ago.  
    On this, I think people like to misquote or edit out Ice-X's full thought: "You're supposed to lose health..." in reference to fighting Galactus or Boss Battles, but all you usually get is the spun up anti D3 slogan: "You're supposed to lose"
    The only one misquoting him is YOU
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/33616/on-galactus-run-1-game-feel-vs-ultron

You're supposed to lose.
    Read the whole post. 
    He says "You're supposed to lose" in a variety of tone deaf ways. Lose the match, "lose the health packs," "going into a battle you may well lose." I think this is also a debate you're going to lose, at least here, where the outrage over this went on for months.
    I'm not here to rehash an age old argument and can't add anything new to what's already been said. I don't see it your way. I see the bigger picture. There is a difference of opinion. I'm not looking to debate or to "win".  It's this attitude towards crushing dissenting opinions that will drive players like me away from the game (at least, from these forums) before any minor tweak D3 introduces. I'm here for game news and tips on how to put together winning teams in the current meta for my current transition stage. I'll pass on the the tough talk and unsolicited lectures that inevitably lead to joystick measuring contests and who can get in the last word before the thread is shutdown. No thanks. Happy gaming to you
  • liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Good gaming to you too!
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,923 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Three things

1. I am like every other poster here (with one exception- I read every post) who preferred 2500 and thinks this change sucks.

2.  Had the 2500 offer.  I passed on Elektras first cover and figured because I'm Iso-starved I'd just get her second one to put me at 13. Will NOT be doing that now.  Wish I'd of got it back then but oh well.  Won't be supporting 3600.

3.  I purchased 2 or 3 at 2500 and feel fortunate I got that AND the 300 HP kickback. Feel really bad for those who never got the 2500 deal. But hey you got the "better deal"!  Right?  Right!??  (No)
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm not too surprised at the outcome.  For the lower price to have "won", it would probably have needed to see three or more sales for every two of the higher priced offer.

I suspect that the number of people taking up either offer were a tiny proportion of the user base, consisting mainly of the whales who would accept either price.  In that sense, it isn't too surprising that they picked the higher one.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is like the cinemas charging 2-3x the ticket price for popcorn and drinks. They know the ticket profits goes to the studio so they have to earn their profit else where. But instead of lowering the prices to drive up sales quantity, they rather maximize profits over volume. Less stock to hold and transactions to handle? But here it's all digital and more volume surely be the better option business wise 
  • Kevin61
    Kevin61 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I made one purchase of the Heroes for Hire store at 2500 HP and that was for my final Winter Soldier (purple) cover.  That allowed me to champ him as I had a red cover waiting for the reward from the next champ level of 3* Cap.  I will not be purchasing any further covers from this store.  3600 HP is not worth it for me.

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I want to reiterate that this was not a good test because players only had one choice.  If all players could choose between 2500 and 3600 offers, then I bet you would have different results.  I had the 3600 offer, even though I wanted the 2500 offer.  I still bought the 3600 deals because I had the extra HP and needed those covers.  But that doesn't mean I prefer the 3600 offer!
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Yeah I think their big issue was saying that people "prefer" the 3600 to the 2500 option.  Logically speaking, most people would only buy this item for the 4* cover, not the other paltry rewards so yes, I think most people would prefer the 2500 option if given both choices (which is not what the test was).  That is not what the devs were actually looking for with this "test".  What they were looking for is what will people pay for these rewards and apparently enough people bought the 3600 bundles compared to the 2500 bundles that they feel confident that people will still buy the 3600 bundles going forward.  It is a classic example of a company letting customers set the price point.  They feel that vaulting will push more people to buy that last cover or two for vaulted 4* to complete a character.  They are probably right in the long run.
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Warbringa said:
    Yeah I think their big issue was saying that people "prefer" the 3600 to the 2500 option.  Logically speaking, most people would only buy this item for the 4* cover, not the other paltry rewards so yes, I think most people would prefer the 2500 option if given both choices (which is not what the test was).  

Well, I don't think any law of logic is violated by people preferring the 3600 option, but maybe that's not what you mean by "logically speaking." As for a split test not testing preferences, I posted my disagreement with that earlier (I think such tests clearly can measure preferences) and did not receive any argument to the contrary that I found plausible (I don't find extraordinarily unlikely scenarios like, "maybe they randomly assigned people to groups and by random chance, significantly more people from one category ended up in one group" any more plausible than flipping heads 80 times in a row).

As to how they actually tested, I don't know, since they didn't post any details (I don't think they ever mentioned "A/B testing" either - I think someone on the forums brought that up).  Nor do I know if more people bought the 3600 option than the 2500 option or, if so, how many, since they didn't post the results. They certainly didn't post enough details for me to draw any firm conclusions, nor to use those conclusions to further conclude that the devs are (or are not) deceitful or don't (or do) understand how to do preference testing (don't know if I can say the same for some of the arguments on the forum).

Having said that, my guess (which is just a wild guess that I'm not going present as ascertained fact) is that the 3600 offer was more profitable, not necessarily that more people purchased it, but I could very well be wrong (though sales volume and profitability are not unrelated).

I also prefer the 2500 option and can't fathom why people would prefer the 3600 option, but then again, I'm pretty hardcore so the rewards other than the 4* cover amount to far less than I earn in a day. That may not be the case for others, especially newbies/casual players (who may represent a much larger percentage of the player base than they do the forum base or the commenter base). 

I find the sale prices for ISO absolutely ridiculous but they've had them in place for as long as I've been playing (ca six months) and I suspect for a lot longer. If most players valued them the way I do (i.e. not at all), I can't imagine they'd sell many and I'd think they would have changed the pricing. The fact that they haven't makes me wonder if newbies/casual players actually value ISO a lot more than I do (confession time: I actually did buy ISO in the first couple of weeks I was playing before I started playing PvE or was able to complete DDQ and wised up). I was originally skeptical that newbies would value a single 4* cover much, since it is really almost unusable, but then I remembered that back when I was in 1* and 2* land, I thought 4* covers were the bee's knees - and they actually weren't completely useless before I started champing my 2*s.

• Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options
    astrp3 said:

Claiming that people bought the 3600 offer only because they had no choice may explain whey they bought the 3600 offer but it does not explain why significantly MORE players with the 3600 offer chose to purchase it than did those in the 2500 group (assuming that this was actually the case).

I assume it's not the case. Why? Because they seemed to be very careful in NOT saying that more 3600 were purchased than 2500. The statement says 3600 was "preferred".

My guess (that's all it is since everything about this game is a bloody secret) is if there wasn't a significant difference in 3600 sales vs 2500 they'd go with 2500. If folks willing to pay it, why wouldn't they charge that amount?

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,602 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bbigler said:
    I want to reiterate that this was not a good test because players only had one choice.  If all players could choose between 2500 and 3600 offers, then I bet you would have different results.  I had the 3600 offer, even though I wanted the 2500 offer.  I still bought the 3600 deals because I had the extra HP and needed those covers.  But that doesn't mean I prefer the 3600 offer!
    They don't care which offer you prefer. And they don't want to see how the offers compete against each other. None of that is useful information. And it's why all the people saying the test was "bad" are wrong.

They wanted to see the viability of independent offers, and tested them at the same time by splitting up the player base. Lets them get to implementation faster by doing simultaneous tests instead of two back to back tests.

If the offer is capable of surviving on its own, and meeting whatever metrics the Devs determined was necessary to make it worth keeping in the game, then it doesn't matter if people would "prefer" other options.
  • Phillipes
    Phillipes Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Options

My guess is that the 3600 came close to the 2500 raw number of sales and they concluded people are indifferent to the pricing. I wonder if the 2500 group as a whole are annoyed and refuse to buy the 3600 in masses and sales drop like a rock...
    You are right!
    I was the one who has opportunity to buy cover for 2500 HP. I bought this package 3 times.
    Other thing in that offer were ****, I would buy that particular cover even if there were that cover alone.

Now, price is 3600 HP, I would not buy from this store anymore.
    So Im very very disapointed by this change. :'(

• WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Second me...bought 4 covers for 2500hp each....but now I WILL NEVER buy for 3600hp  >:)
  • Felessa
    Felessa Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Options
    WEBGAS said:
    Second me...bought 4 covers for 2500hp each....but now I WILL NEVER buy for 3600hp  >:)
    Yes, this, I bought it 4 times for 2500hp too. Now I probably won't do it again for 3600hp because I don't care for the additional 4x 2*, 1CP and ISO :| . As many have stated, most of us are buying it exclusively because of the 4* cover, not the other stuff.
  • Brian522
    Brian522 Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I believe it. Been a lot of good surprises that have come with the few I've bought.
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options

When determining if I should buy from the HfH store I just find the answer to:

"How much HP will it cost to buy a specific 4* cover?"

It used to be 2500HP, because I got lucky with the pilot groups, now its 3600HP...   I'd have considered myself lucky if there was another pilot group with no extras and just cost 2200HP, if given the choice between all three it would be the cheapest every time.

I'd be lying if I said I would never buy it at 3600HP, there are probably scenarios where I would... far less than 2500 though, but I guess we'll see...

• Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think it all comes down to whether its the final cover or not. At 3600HP, I would buy the final cover if it was for a vaulted character that I was desperate to finish. 

At 2500HP though, I'd have bought a lot more covers, lots more that weren't the final cover. 
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think it all comes down to whether its the final cover or not. At 3600HP, I would buy the final cover if it was for a vaulted character that I was desperate to finish. 

At 2500HP though, I'd have bought a lot more covers, lots more that weren't the final cover. 

a 5/5/0 is actually more pressing for me to purchase a cover for than a 5/5/2, and I'd just let a 4/4/4 go without buying from the HfH store...   but I can see the rationale for other systems...
  • Arphaxad
    Arphaxad Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options

120 command points is easier to come by than 3600HP.