Heroes for Hire - Price Update (5/19/17)

Options

Comments

• Storm of fire
    Storm of fire Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I picked up five Heroes for Hire (I think) at 2500HP because I didn't care about the extras, I just wanted better coverage/wanted to get out of a sticky situation. I thought it was an excellent solution for just that kind of situation where you might be stuck at 5/5/0 or 4/4/2 and champ/placement/vault rewards and/or bonus heroes weren't going to work in your favour, especially for characters not in tokens that aren't otherwise available.

Mildly disappointed and sad to see the 2500HP store that was offered to me go, but not surprised.

I was going to pick up War Machine blue since mine is missing that colour when it popped up available for purchase for me tomorrow, but that's not looking likely anymore with the higher price point.
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    broll said:

The sinic in me suspects that if the 3600 did sell more, it's only because it was given as the only option to a larger group of players.  

Sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. Why in the world would they deliberately rig the results by offering the 3600 to significantly more players so they could claim it was more popular, instead of just charging 3600 from the start? What possible benefit is it to them to offer people a 2500 deal, knowing that they were going to change it to 3600, then rigging a test (that they didn't need to do in the first place and that no one asked for) to produce the results they wanted, ticking people off in the process? Are they just masochists who get their jollies tweaking us? Or are you claiming that it wasn't deliberate and that everyone at D3 is so monumentally stupid that they don't understand the concept of using buy rate rather than number of purchases when the populations are unequal?

• scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm not saying their testing method was good. I'm saying they genuinely wanted to test it, and it looks like their results point towards more buys at 3600.

That's different than saying they never truly wanted to test it and are now lying to us. 
  • genapp
    genapp Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    Options
    This is frustrating. I would've bought at least a couple times at 2500 if I'd been offered that amount. 
  • GritsNGravy
    GritsNGravy Posts: 114 Tile Toppler
    Options
    As a player that had the 2500 offer, this makes me happy.  The value in CP and ISO is much better.
  • irwando
    irwando Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    astrp3 said:
    broll said:

The sinic in me suspects that if the 3600 did sell more, it's only because it was given as the only option to a larger group of players.  

Sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. Why in the world would they deliberately rig the results by offering the 3600 to significantly more players so they could claim it was more popular, instead of just charging 3600 from the start? What possible benefit is it to them to offer people a 2500 deal, knowing that they were going to change it to 3600, then rigging a test (that they didn't need to do in the first place and that no one asked for) to produce the results they wanted, ticking people off in the process? Are they just masochists who get their jollies tweaking us? Or are you claiming that it wasn't deliberate and that everyone at D3 is so monumentally stupid that they don't understand the concept of using buy rate rather than number of purchases when the populations are unequal?

Given the quality of other changes, my money says its more they thought they were testing correctly but don't actually have people who understand how to properly run A/B testing in this scenario, nor is the system built for it.  
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Just one more thing.

Giving every player two options: 2,5k and 3,6k is a good way to determine if players feel that extra stuff is worh extra 1,1k hp. It's simple, it's transparent and quite consumer-friendly.

Offering a single option for a customer at random, doesn't serve that purpose. If there is no 3rd option - all the axtras priced at, 1,1k hp, this tactic is used to determine how high can they push the cost for people to still accept it. You can't directly buy 4* covers with hp, so players can either desperately spend up to 3,6k hp per one cover or not get that cover for hp at all.
    That is not consumer-friendly at all and just a way to maximize profits.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I was going to pick up War Machine blue since mine is missing that color when it popped up available for purchase for me tomorrow, but that's not looking likely anymore with the higher price point.
    Damn, I need War Machine Blue to finish mine off too.
    I've pulled THREE War Machine Reds in a row as a bonus covers...
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    Options
    astrp3 said:
    broll said:

Simple answer is: for money.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    astrp3 said:
    broll said:

This is a fair point, I probably went to far into crazy town there, but I'll never believe more people bought 3600 then 2500 unless they produce statistics.

Also your last sentence is probably correct, RNGsus knows they've been proving that in spades this year...
  • liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Didn't buy any at 3600. Will continue not to.
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Alsmir said:
    Simple answer is: for money.

Sorry again, but your "simple" answer still seems ludicrous to me. I agree that overall they did this to make money, but how do they make more money by running a fake test with a lower offer and rigging the results than by just offering 3600 from the get-go? The explanation that they did it to make us think they care seems even more far-fetched. Am I to believe that there are players who normally would not have bought the 3600 offer but were prompted to do so by the warm fuzzy they got from D3 doing a test then making them an offer they would not otherwise have accepted? If any players would be so prompted, I'd think they'd be more players who were ticked off that they jacked up the price on them or didn't give them both options. If you were just trying to push people into buying by making them feel like you cared by running a poll, wouldn't offering them both prices serve just as well? You can't say "no, then people would know about both offers and be ticked off" because the whole conspiracy theory that they were doing the poll to give us a warm fuzzy requires that players actually knew they were doing testing (which I find questionable).