Heroes for Hire - Price Update (5/19/17)

Options

Comments

• scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Qubort said:
    broll said:
    scottee said:
    Why would they lie? If they wanted to just make an expensive package to "make more money", they wouldn't AB test. They'd make only the 3600 package. Forumites are such conspiracy theorists.
    To give the illusion of caring about what we think is best.  It will probably work for some.

Clearly it worked for Scott

Ha, no. I actually have zero expectations that the devs should be doing anything to help the players. I think that's the difference. Most of the forum sees themselves playing a game against the devs, and changes are either in our favor or theirs.

I see the devs as the game makers. Their changes are neutral, as we're all playing the same rules, and the competition is against other players.

I've been F2P for the entire 3+ years I've been playing and have never given the devs a dime. They make the game. If players like it, we play; if not, we leave. It's up to them to make the game in a way that they make money and pay the bills. I'm under no obligations. There's lots of free games I can choose to play instead, or spend my time in other ways.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Options
    astrp3 said:
    Warbringa said:
    You are assuming that the resources for group A and B are the same.  

You are right. I AM assuming that the resources are the same because if the groups were randomly and properly sampled and of sufficient size, they generally would be (the odds of them being skewed enough to substantially affect results, are increasingly small as the sample size increases, to the point of being negligible).

Even if they weren't, however, it would not affect, my main point, which was the counter those who seem to be saying that D3's A/B test (assuming they did one) is invalid simply because they didn't offer everyone a choice, even if it was done properly and proper controls were in place. My point is that, with a properly conducted test, you don't need to offer everyone both choices to determine that one choice was preferred.

Would not a scenario where many more people from group 1 being placed in the 3600 pool skew the results?  In this situation would not the preference be incorrectly measured? If group 1 was the largest representative group and more of them happened to be put into the 3600 pool I think that would go against your argument that the majority actually does prefer the 3600 when clearing anyone in group 1 actually has a preference for 2500 (per your outline of the group).  As far as sample size, it probably isn't as large of a number as we think.  The only real sample size is willing buyers a much smaller group than overall players most likely.
  • Pessi
    Pessi Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I didn't buy because it was 3600hp. However I might have if it was less. Meh. Whatever, swings and roundabouts
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Warbringa said:

Would not a scenario where many more people from group 1 being placed in the 3600 pool skew the results?  In this situation would not the preference be incorrectly measured? 
    Yes, but if they did proper sampling that wouldn't be the case, which is why I stated that I was assuming group A and B had roughly the same percentage from each group. If the groups were very small, it might be the case that there were more from group1 in group A, but AFIK, everybody got one of the offers, so it seems unlikely to me that the 3600 groups were so small as to make skewing likely. In addition, the greater the disparity between the % of purchasers in the various groups, the less likely it is that there are differences in preferences, resources etc., assuming sufficiently large groups and random sampling (if you flip a coin 10 times and get 60% heads, it could be random deviation - if you flipped it a million times and got 60% heads, I'm going to be taking another look at that coin and/or your methodology).

And even if they didn't, it would only show that their conclusions were wrong due to improper sampling, not simply because they didn't give everyone a choice (which is what several people seem to be claiming - i.e. that the ONLY way to get accurate numbers is to give everyone both choices).

• StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 746 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I was in the 2500 HP group and bought 2 covers to fully cover characters, I was thinking about buying some 12th covers for a couple of 5/3/3 builds but that is now very unlikely to happen. I'll probably only use HfH to get the final elusive cover for characters, so thanks for making that decisionfor me. I can understand why it was made, even if I don't understand how there was an element of choice in the matter when only ever getting 1 available option in the store, but whatevs... Thanks for the 300 HP too!

Maybe with the extended prizes in PVE there will be more reason to spend HP in the HfH store and it can be a more viable way to get 4* covers, but I appreciate the changes you're willing to make for now. Keep it up, please.
  • BlackWidower
    BlackWidower Posts: 250 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    My first reaction was *nope*.  Then I saw that there was a selection of covers you could buy.  Then I know that I will get a IMHB red tomorrow and if I buy a IMHB black for 3600, I would be able to actually cover something as opposed to the billions of cards that are sitting doing nothing... it was actually a good choice... I then got a buddy reward for spiderwoman who was dying on the vine, which allowed me to cover thanos 3 beyond 182 and a chain of events that followed.

Initially, I thought *nope*.  Then I was actually one of them, and it actually worked out for me.   I doubt this will be the usual (and I still hate it, but this did actually work out for me).

*removed profanity and attacks - Ducky
  • BlackWidower
    BlackWidower Posts: 250 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Oh and I could have just played PVP and shaved about 7 years off my life dealing with the frustration of dealing with the *nope* who stalk PVP with their alliances and pounce on anyone the minute they get near 900. 

So, you wonder why people actually buy this tinykitty at ridiculous prices.

*Removed attacks on other players - Ducky
  • keitterman
    keitterman Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I wasn't gonna buy at 2500, or 3600, but this process does make me very concerned with how D3 makes decisions.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I wasn't gonna buy at 2500, or 3600, but this process does make me very concerned with how D3 makes decisions.
    Its simple, they calculated how many players are willing to pay 2500 and how many 3600. Naturally higher cost means less buyers, but in this case, the difference was not significant enough.
    All in all i doubt this will remain the same in future...
    Tho i must agree the way how the gather feedback is funny - they made polls about "how likely would you reccommend", but instead of making poll "what cost would you prefer for packs", they rather come with double standarts.
  • TheLadder77
    TheLadder77 Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    Options
    mpqr7 said:
    I'm skeptical that people would choose to pay more.

Is there an option so that I can remove this store from my list, so that I don't need to see it, since I'll never use it?
    Yes - uninstall the game.
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I remember when I first started playing this game you could purchase any 4* cover for 2500 gold hero coins.
    They took this option away from us saying they wanted to slow the game down.
    I was absolutely furious and complained constantly in the alliance chat room.
    I said, how could they turn down money and said they'd regret that decision.
    Sure enough year and a half down the line it's back and repackaged.
    However, I'm still furious. Theyve brought it back but added 1110 on top of it.
    It's extortionate with a capital E.

They've slowed the game down so much it's ruined the game for me. Having to Sit their night after night hitting nodes a minimum of 4 times is unhealthy. This isn't the Marvel I grew up with, they wouldn't encourage an unhealthy lifestyle?

In closing I will NOT be purchasing anything for 3600, you guys have totally ruined a once great game.
    Nowadays I can only muster enough energy and enthusiasm to complete the Deadpool daily quest.
    #congratulations

• Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Most likely they looked at the data and found more cash or HP was spent on the 3600 HP packages.  The way it was presented was a little fishy, but it's a common practice for businesses to test prices by selling things for different prices in different stores.  There's nothing wrong with a business trying to maximize profits.

The funny thing to me is I would prefer the 2500 package, but today was the first day I bought it, for 3600, after a month of having the 2500.  It wasn't the price or the extras that influenced my decision, just the fact that I finally had an opportunity to buy a needed cover for a 5/5/1 vaulted character.
  • fun_and_gun
    fun_and_gun Posts: 120 Tile Toppler
    Options
    is everyone presented with the same cover color each day?  I ask because almost all the char covers offered are for covers I already have 5 of.  how is that going to entice me to splurge?
  • Style55
    Style55 Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Options
    As someone who made 3 purchases (Carol when she was 10/13, Gwenpool, because I had her at 12/13, and Drax because he was the only 4* I was missing) at the 2500 price point I can say that I will not be purchasing any at the new price introduced unless I have one of the meta defining 4* characters at 12/13. The additional iso in this new package is not a huge bonus nor are the extra elite tokens. 
  • MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    With relatively few exceptions, the prevalent view on the forums is that the "extras" in the 3600HP bundle aren't worth 1100HP.

But I can accept that they are to some people. 

So offer those extras in a separate bundle. 1100HP for 2CP, a few tokens and what, 10k ISO? Some people will buy those by the truckload. Who cares? If they find that to be a good value, then by all means, let them have it. 

But if you want to actually sell more 4* covers (or heaven forbid, use this to help mitigate the negative effects of vaulting!), set the price at 2500HP. In fact, if you want to strip ALL of the extras out of the 2500HP offer and sell just the cover, that's fine.  People will still buy them.

I know d3 has to make money too, but this is just crass. 
  • Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    Options

I am mostly indifferent to this, but I do have a little pro/con list...

Pro:

• MPQ has another source of revenue.  More money for them, means I get to keep playing.
    • I'm happy for people that found value in the stores and were able to purchase something they wanted.

Con:

• I personally don't find value in the stores.  I think spending 3,600HP, or even 2,500HP, to be overpriced for what I saw offered.  It kind of bums me out that the market would bear this price, as I was hoping it wouldn't do, and a lower priced option might one day arrive.  :(
    • I get a little more annoyed each time I have to tap the "next" button to bypass yet another store I won't be shopping in, just to get to the token(s) I do want to open.  Maybe you guys could move this to the end of the list.

That is all.  Thanks for reading.

• nickaraxnos
    nickaraxnos Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Vaulting came and the majority of the people in this forum was against it. But few stated that we dont represent the player base of the game so the devs know better what players want,
    Nerf of oml came and the majority of the players in here said its was a bad move. But the devs know better because we dont represent the entire player base.
    H4H came and from the beginning most of the players was annoyed from the different prices. Guess what. The devs know better.
    Now they say the player base is willing to pay more so they give us only the option of the 3600. Almost everyone in here are saying they prefer the 2500. Guess what. We are not the player base.

We must be rare species. Real people with common thinking are outside this forum.

• genapp
    genapp Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I wonder if I'd be as upset about this if I didn't visit the forums. Reading that several people on here that were offered the 2500 option were able to fully cover some of their, what I assume to be vaulted, characters hurts just a little. I had the 3600 option. Given that my 4* BH drop rate is sub 2% I would've probably jumped at a few of the HfH covers at the lower price point. 

I'm pretty sure I'll keep reading the forums regularly but just maybe ignorance would be bliss. 
  • Bloody_Marvel
    Bloody_Marvel Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It's unfortunate... I was waiting for a yellow Carol Danvers cover to make a purchase, since all others were either of no interest to me, I already had champed, or they were colors I had 5 covers for.

2,500 HP was a good amount for me, cuz I'm buying it for the 4* cover, not for the Iso-8, Elite tokens, or CP.

I'm also in the camp that doesn't think 1,100 HP more warrants the extra 4 Elite tokens, 6,000 Iso-8 and 3 CP (can't remember if we got a CP for 2,500 HP).

Having said that however, the price bump on this doesn't diminish my enjoyment of the game at all. It doesn't change gameplay, it doesn't change rewards, it's just a new option that I probably won't be making use of, or at the very least will be using less often than if it still were at 2,500.
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    +have the purchase of an Hero For Hire bundle count towards bonus intercepts(or whatever they call it now) like a dead drop or a bugle. It's enough IGC to merit a little bonus for the FTP crowd who earned it from grinding.
    +kill three of the elites and give us Heroics. quit being miserly with them!
    +I bought the Initial bundle because it was The Defenders! , I would be more likely to purchase the bundle if it also had a guaranteed cover of the needed 3* as well. also Themed bundles: Inhumans, Villains, FF4(a bagman cover!),Mutants, Team Cap.
    +3200?  more Iso? always more Iso. 5cp? 
    +Have a permanent gallery, like a vending machine, where the colors cycle{can we get colorless covers already!?!}. So I can whale to completion 
    +redeemable tokens for the hero for hire store, can be cashed in for whichever toon you want when it comes around

I think its pretty much a rip off that I had to pay 3600, and other people got it for cheaper. The 300 back is meh compared to the spread but its like an Elitetax-kicker: I got a lil back I didn't expect. Honestly, the next time my favorite character(The Thing{or is it bagman?}) comes around I'm gonna buy it, again(djKhalid:"ANOTHER ONE!"). I can't pretend I'm not on the hook with this game;
     next time a sale comes around I'm gonna spend more money;
     next time a 5* is released I'm gonna blow my cp;
     next time they tinykitty up a wolverine nerf I'm STILL gonna play him(#B&WLogan)
    It just feels like when your friends tell you how much a pack of cigarettes cost and you look at them like:
    -you waste SO much money!
    and their like
    --yea but I want my cigarette when I wake up in the morning and after a meal.
    and then I'm all like :
    -Yea but I can quit anytime I like, just let me grind out the Gamora release and uhh I should finish the season -for my alliance. And I have a medusa cover thats gonna expire I should really try for...

So until Joe Camel is released as a Devil Dino variant make mine MarvelPQ!