Answers To The 8 Questions About Vaulting (5/2/17)

Options

Comments

• jgomes32
    jgomes32 Posts: 381 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    A few things 

• With 50+ (60?) 4* you have no excuse to make those latest 12 as pve rewards. Change Pve rewards to vaulted only.
    • Add a Vintage token for PvE progression and interceptions. Change to 4 only (while at it make Elite 3 only).
    • Make a 5* only token.
    • More iso.

Should new players be focusing on a smaller pool of heroes now? (also #6)
    Well maybe, but they should have that choice. If you're gonna make them choose this system requires a huge change. Right now they are kind of forced to focus on latest.

Is this change designed to encourage hoarding?
    In short yes. Last week i went on a pull rampage (300cp approx, 20LT). Pulls could have been much worse, i got lucky. Already up to 500cp. But i'm finishing Nova > Riri > maybe hulkbuster with pvp progression cover if there's time. With a 40k iso average per day i cannot pull anything for maybe 2 weeks, by that time you'll be rewarding Mordo as Pve rewards and he's already fully covered thanks to vaulting. Add another 10 days of hoard... This shows to me once again that the major issue of the game is iso. There's just not enough available to finish everything in time. D3 keeps finding "new ways to make us cover characters faster" (vaulting, 7 days progression, champ, BH and vintage to some extent, etc) in addition to normal progression/reward/tokens/tacos but nothing in regards to iso. It doesn't matter if i have every character fully covered but non-champed and wasting covers. So yes, hoard is inevitable. 

• revskip
    revskip Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I just want to throw out there that not everyone is dissatisfied with the vaulting system and bonus heroes.  I for one like it, it has changed which characters I champ to an extent but has allowed me make serious progress with covers for the newer characters.  

Prior to vaulting I would never be able to finish a newer character in less than 9 months without super-competitive and borderline unhealthy play in PVE and massive HP expenditures on shields when I dipped my toe into the PVP pool for the cover at 900.  I generally get top 100 in new releases and am in a competitive PVE alliance so usually end up with 2-3 covers in the initial PVE and 1 more in the next event.  With the vaulting change I have been able to get everyone but Coulson (12 covers) and 4Fist (6 covers) to max covers and have been able to champ 5 of the non-vaulted characters in just over two months.  That kind of quick progress is great.  

Bonus heroes has also helped my roster greatly, getting my Nova in position to champ after terrible luck with RNG.  Nova was the first 4* I rostered, way back when noob brackets were still a thing I managed a top 5 finish and had all three covers in his first event.  I then went about 400 days with only an additional 4 covers.  Bonus heroes plus the boss event that just passed allowed me to finally champ one of my favorite newer comic book characters.  It also helped me get my Iceman to max covers, he had also suffered from poor RNG in the old system.  I've drawn bonus heroes at slightly less than 5% (exactly 4.6%) but that has been plenty to help my older characters get to the point where putting ISO into them isn't a total waste.  

My one real complaint with vaulting is that older characters really just don't have enough avenues to be earned.  It was nice to read that you are aware of that complaint and that it is being looked at.  
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ok here my 2 cents again

1) colorless covers -  should done before any changes to tokens nothing hurts more than 6th+ color cover sold
    2) 5* should never expire: they are already impossible to get unless ur whaling it
    3) more iso gaining: Double iso or make no prize lower than 250 iso
    4) Double CP progression for 7 day event: we are getting prizes for 1 event instead of 2 (3 and 4 day event)
    5) A true 3*/4* token - what elite tokens should have been
    6) Legendary Vaults:
    a) Latest - same - latest [3 (5*) + 12 (4*)]
    b) Classic - same - non latest 3 (5*) + latest 12 (4*)
    c1) Vintage - New -  non latest 3 (5*) + non latest 12 (4*)
    c2) Vintage - New - Let us choose which 3 (5*) and 12 (4*) - I like this option most
    7) rotate 3* every season

• Lord_Mephisto
    Lord_Mephisto Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Maybe this is crazy and I don't know the feasibility of these ideas, but, if the real intention is reducing hoarding and increasing the chance of maximizing characters, it could work...

The first would be creating a "wildcard cover" that could be used to redeem any cover for any character, even the newest.

The second would be removing the colors from the drawn covers. We would receive a cover for a character that could upgrade any power for that specific character.
  • Gmax101
    Gmax101 Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Not everyone was dissatisfied with the old system of an increasingly diluted pool that nevertheless included all non-limited characters, but the devs saw enough complaints that they felt they had to address it. It shouldn't have to take universal complaints for vaulting to be fixed, and "but some people are okay with it" is not a good reason to not address it.

Universal... nope.

Heavy majority of forumites... yeah I'll agree to that.

But it is well known that the number of forumites is a low % of the players in the game.

You only have to look at the all the people talking about Top 100 placing in events... well, that's just 10% of the players in the event, within a specific CL bracket.

It is no shock that a lot of the dedicated players on the forum were against Vaulting, but there were some in favour. If for no other reason than they recognised the risks to the long term game they like to play.

Some were even in a position where vaulting helped them do exactly what Vaulting and Bonus Heroes were designed to do, make it easier to get the newer characters serviceable and make it easier to get the specific older characters they like.

They didn't do Vaulting because a few people complained about dilution... they did vaulting because dilution obviously a problem that was just going to get worse.

Up here, in the lofty heights of 4* and 5* land, we often forgot that MOST players are playing with 2* & 3* and the odd 4* and this most definitely has let them get a functional 4* faster.

The essentials argument is one. But there are newer 4* in the boosted rotation, and one or two decent covered boosted 4* can make it possible to compete in PVE in SCL 6/7 even with out the 4* essential... and SCL 7 you will earn it.

• Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just cant understand how this is so difficult. Make Vintage Heroes available all the time and add tokens to progression in all PVE and PVP. Job done. 

I've fixed the problem in two sentences. 
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just cant understand how this is so difficult. Make Vintage Heroes available all the time and add tokens to progression in all PVE and PVP. Job done. 

I've fixed the problem in two sentences. 
    no on wants another ave to get 2*'s
  • Ayasugi-san
    Ayasugi-san Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Gmax101 said:

Up here, in the lofty heights of 4* and 5* land, we often forgot that MOST players are playing with 2* & 3* and the odd 4* and this most definitely has let them get a functional 4* faster.

I'm not in the lofty heights of 4* land. I'm one of those players they say they're trying to help get into 4* land faster, and I'm feeling very pressured and limited by vaulting. I'm feeling like I have to rush to get characters that I want champed, that I'm wasting covers chasing a character that's about to leave tokens because I don't have enough ISO to champ everyone who gets fully covered faster, and that once I have a couple characters champed I'm basically forced into using them for most battles. And with OML being nerfed because of overuse, I'm also afraid of having my 4* champs nerfed because I and most other newer players will be using them a lot just to survive.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    sinnerjfl said:
    Pylgrim said:
    sinnerjfl said:
    Pylgrim said:
    If you make IW your 4* BH, you can expect to get her fully covered in less than 40 pulls. If there was no vaulting/BHs, it would be somewhere in the vicinity of 90 pulls.
    Or you could pull zero bonus heroes as well because the % is so low.
    5% is one in 20. Without vaulting, there would be 46 4*s in the pool, so the chances to get that particular character would be 1 in 46. Which one is lower?
    Thats not the point. The point is before you had at least a possibility of getting that character even if the odds were lower.

Now with Bonus heroes it's more than likely there is no possibility of getting that character because Bonus Heroes doesn trigger much if at all for 4*'s.
    I'm sorry but you clearly are not understanding what I am saying or how the feature or probability works. "Heroes trigger for 4*s" by the amount I said, 1 in 20. You may feel that it is less than that and maybe have experienced a run of over 20 pulls without a bonus hero but that's how probability works. If you feel that that is a low frequency, I am telling you that without vaulting there would be even less frequency.
  • Yoik
    Yoik Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I do not mind the Vaulted changes and welcome the Bonus heroes idea. It works for me personally but I can certainly see how it affects negatively the larger population base.

I appreciate the response from D3. It is measured, slightly blinkered but with an open invitation to effect cause.

As a longer term player 1230 + ish. At the point of vaulting I already had most of the vaulted toon’s champed. This left me with the newer toon’s to level up and champ as I went.

A couple of months down the line from that faithful day I’m now sitting at 41/48 4 stars champed. I have 7 left at various levels of coverage.

It has changed how I play the game, as now for me the by-product of vaulting is for me to hoard. It just does not make sense to do anything otherwise.

The danger of pulling a useless cover for the newer toon’s I have left is too great. Now when I get my 7 toon’s left all levelled as high as I can get them. I will look at my hoard and if it is more than 250 ledge pulls and there are some half decent 5 stars now available I will blow the lot. If not I’ll keep going.

So as a player who is in some ways in favour of vaulting I still have an issue with how it effects things and the way things are even though it is not the intention of D3 to encourage hoarding it certainly makes sense for quite a number of players.

I feel like I am forced to hoard because of my roster and what is available and because of the iso I receive in comparable levels required to get my roster to a place that I would not need to worry. I tend to get 30k a day.

Of course these are all 1st world problems but that’s what we are talking about here.

• pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thank you for the original post.  It's good to know we are being heard, but it is equally important that a) it works in both directions by giving us more details/reasoning behind changes in a timely manner and b) something positive results from these discussions.

There are several in-game mechanics already in place that address several concerns.  Yes, people say increase the rewards (myself being one of them), but I also know from game design that early players will literally be swimming in iso if that unilaterally happens.  There has to be just enough to keep you wanting more so that if you want to whale up faster, you have that option, but also that you aren't left out to die in the desert with no water if you don't want to pay.

The CL ranks are a way to address this.  Obviously, as a player with multiple champed 5s and 40 champed 4s, my iso needs are greater than a 2/3 transitioner.  However, if the game design mission statement is that a player, regardless of tier, should be able to champ one in-tier character a week (so if I am in the 4/5 tier, I can do one 4* a week whereas the 3/4 transitioner can champ one 3* a week) then the CL iso rewards should reflect this.  Yes, legacy players should earn more because it costs more.  A lot more.

Regarding access to vaulted characters, as has been discussed many times, add a second permanent token for vaulted characters.  Let the players decide which token they'd rather pull.  And get rid of those 2*s.  There's so many avenues towards them that during the two events per offseason that we now have access to vaulted characters, it's almost feels mean to only pull 2*s from those rare tokens.

As has also been stated above, the need to hoard ends immediately upon the end of cover expiration timers.  I even had to sell 2* covers for my farm because a dupe was at 5/1/5 and I had 14 covers for that character in my inventory and the timers were going to expire.  I'd love to spend my hundreds of CP, but the reality is that I'd just be wasting covers if I did and we all work too hard in this game to waste anything we don't need to.

Thanks again for your time and consideration.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    irwando said:
    Did not address the ISO shortage / need for much more ISO in a shorter period of time.

Did not address the fact that vaulted characters are still required for missions and newer players are even more hosed.

Here's the thing  I have 20+ champed 4*s.  If all the 4's were in the same pool I would level newer ones slower, but overall every pull would have a high likelihood of a cover I could use.  Now I 'm at a 50-50 chance of a cover for a character I don't have champed and have low on my priority to get champed.  So now I'm hoarding tokens and CP, something I never did before.

So your change means I open fewer tokens, not more.   yay.
    There is no ISO shortage, your ISO needs are less now than they were before.  You now have at most 12 characters that need to be champed to open with no waste, previously you had as many as 27.

Essential characters are still offered as rewards for placing in the previous event, as well as for progression during the current event - just like they were for all of us.

Previously you were 20/47, now you are 6/12.  If you think you need to be hoarding now then you definitely should have been before.