After 89 days of playing...

Options

Comments

• GreenyBoy
    GreenyBoy Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Zeus, I still say you have too much time on your hands lol.

Congratz bud, great accomplishment. Glad to have you on my team.

As for scaling... 1 champed 4* in a 3* roster is manageable, but carefull when you add more... Make sure to add the really good ones like Iceman, Jean, hulkbuster, etc (with vaulting, don't ask me how).
  • mrPuzzleQuester
    mrPuzzleQuester Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
    Options

First, I’d like to congratulate you on champing a 4* so quickly - everyone here can agree it’s very impressive. But the fact that everyone is so surprised/impressed with this says a lot about progression (or lack of progression) in the game. 

From parsing through OPs comments he/she plays about 2.5 hrs a day and spent “A few hundred, including 3 months of VIP. CAD, not sure how much American it would be” for a single champed 4*. IDK what the rest of OPs roster looks like but I’m sure there are lots of gaps considering there are 40+ 3* & 4* characters and a good portion are vaulted. This seems like a lot of effort not to mention time/money spent for a small portion of the game. The huge roster along with essential character requirements for PVE/PVP makes the game quite difficult for new players to get into as they probably can’t compete early on. 

Again, I’m not discounting OPs achievement at all but just trying to point out the absurdity of progression in this game - it takes quite a bit of time, money not to mention RNG luck to progress. 

• Ezrius
    Ezrius Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Options
    ...Day 702, just champed first 4* yesterday...
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Great point mrpuzzlequester:

What does it say about a game when 220+ hours played + several hundred dollars spent = champing a single member of a 50-character tier that is not even the highest tier of play?
  • Partyof5
    Partyof5 Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    Great point mrpuzzlequester:

What does it say about a game when 220+ hours played + several hundred dollars spent = champing a single member of a 50-character tier that is not even the highest tier of play?
    It says the game is an addiction that the developers are using to their advantage (i.e. making money). What does this say about the players?  We are the addicts and D3 are the dealers. 
  • ECOcrush
    ECOcrush Posts: 86 Match Maker
    Options
    I'm not totally surprised. Since 4*s and command points have gotten easier to get hold of, it seems like the "randomness" has gotten even less "randomy" - even with *** characters.

I feel like the past few weeks I keep seeing Kamala, 4* Blade and Medusa. None of which are favorited characters for me. And of course my Blade and Medusa aren't champed yet so I'm having to sell 4* covers I already have 5 of just before they expire. I favorited Blade a few days ago hoping to get the colors I'm missing soon because I have another one of his excess covers hanging around and don't want to have to sell it again.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yes, this is unusual, but he's not in 4* land yet, just knocking at the door.  It takes a diverse roster to really compete at a 3*/4* level.  But the point is that progression now is much faster than it used to be.  Back in 2014, progression was slower than a snail.  I was playing everyday for hours and it would still take 6 to 12 months to max cover a 3*!  Max covering a 4* was a pipe dream back then.  Perhaps that's why I quit later that year.  Here's my history and progression rate if you're interested (as best as I can remember):

Nov 2013 to Aug 2014 (9 months): D3 introduces Boosted List and Changes Max Levels
        2* - max covered/leveled just the better half of them
        3* - rostered most, max covered about 4, none max leveled
        4* - 2 covers for XFW, nothing else

May 2015 to Sept 2015 (4 months): DDQ introduced
        2* - rostered all, max covered all, max leveled about 6
        3* - rostered all, max covered about 15, max leveled about 10
        4* - rostered most, highest character XFW had 8 covers
        5* - 2 covers for OML, nothing else

Feb 2016 to March 2016 (2 months): Champions introduced
        2* - Champed about 6, rostered all
        3* - Champed about 17, sold some to champ others
        4* - No Champs, rostered most, XFW and IW had 10 covers each
        5* - 3 rostered, about 5 covers

Sept 2016 to Present (8 months): Shield Rank introduced
        2* - Champed all 13 (farming them now)
        3* - Champed all 43
        4* - Champed 12, rostered all, new champ every 10 days (more or less)
        5* - Rostered 12, total covers = 33, Hoarding LT and CP (currently at 123 LL pulls)

Yes, this means that I've quit 3 times but still came back again and again.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I get the feeling that with vaulting plus champing and other positive features, it is not that extraordinary for a new player to champ a 4*. It does seem like that to us, veterans because conditions were very different back in the days when we were only 3 months into the game. I'd like to hear more from other people in the 100- days range to get a better idea of the current new-player experience.
  • TheZeusBear
    TheZeusBear Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2017
    Options

First, I’d like to congratulate you on champing a 4* so quickly - everyone here can agree it’s very impressive. But the fact that everyone is so surprised/impressed with this says a lot about progression (or lack of progression) in the game. 

From parsing through OPs comments he/she plays about 2.5 hrs a day and spent “A few hundred, including 3 months of VIP. CAD, not sure how much American it would be” for a single champed 4*. IDK what the rest of OPs roster looks like but I’m sure there are lots of gaps considering there are 40+ 3* & 4* characters and a good portion are vaulted. This seems like a lot of effort not to mention time/money spent for a small portion of the game. The huge roster along with essential character requirements for PVE/PVP makes the game quite difficult for new players to get into as they probably can’t compete early on. 

Again, I’m not discounting OPs achievement at all but just trying to point out the absurdity of progression in this game - it takes quite a bit of time, money not to mention RNG luck to progress. 

Updated today.

https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/TheZeusBear/

Pretty much all the 3* and 4* in packs at the moment, I have covered decently. Whatever is vaulted... barely anything. Most single covered vaulted 4* are from 3* rewards.

• TheZeusBear
    Options
    Day 113, champ #2. Medusa with 3 extra covers on her. Next up to bat is Luke Cage.

Luckily, Riri and Spider-Woman still aren't my main pulls. 11/12 respectively.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't want to do down your achievement, which is very impressive, but this is a good demonstration of what I dislike about vaulting. The ability to quickly cover a certain subset of characters is making everything a bit more homogeneous.

I have 20 champed 4*s but most (16/20) are older ones that have been in the vault since it was implemented. I have a pretty broad selection, I even have a champed Elektra and she's pretty good fun while she's boosted this week, but I'm almost certainly in the minority here. Climbing through the higher points of the simulator and teams are almost exclusively composed of some
    combination of wasp, blade, medusa and carol. They're all excellent and strong characters but the lack of variety is quite disappointing. There are various ways of beating those teams, they're not that hard to defeat but the repetition is becoming boring. Maybe this is temporary and PvP will become more diverse but with PvE already a seemingly never-ending procession of battles against the same opponent the last thing we need is for an already grindy game to get grindier (cromulent verbiage permitting). 
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Well, I hate to be that guy, but money does make a huge difference.

Quite recently, I made a fresh start on my phone (Steam player here), and after ~3 weeks of relaxed play I don't even have a 2* champ (close, though). Most importantly I'm struggling to even roster all the 2* and few other characters.

Technically, you could just earn it by playing a lot, but not really. Rewarda for both progression and placement are super bad in low CLs, especially CP. Just the amount of 5* covers suggests a LOT of tokens opened.

Honestly, congratulations, I hope you enjoy your newly champed characters.

At the same time: that is not a typical new player experience, unless he spends a lot of money and dedicates a massive amount of free time.

Edit.:
    More about new player experience.

It's fine if you don't mind spending money. Roster slots will halt your progress really soon and you will get stuck for a long time.
    Low CLs give lousy rewards, especially cp and hp. You won't be earning much towards LTs or roster slots. You can either keep farming XP to slowly gain access to better CLs or you will get stuck.
    You get standard tokens instead elite, and standards get useless after first week of play. Newbie brackets help those commited enough to grind and it's easy to nail top places for extra covers, but without spending $$ you're stuck with not enough roster slots.

Surely, dropping few hundred bucks fixes most problems, but how many players are willing to drop that kind of money for match-3 game they just discovered?
  • smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Wow! I have fully covered and champed my first 4* after around 2 years of playing :P
  • NNCSavage
    NNCSavage Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Nice work and congrats!
    A little cash, a lot of hybrid play, and helpful advice are big helps. Plus having the the RNG in your favor is never a bad thing either.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Alsmir said:
    Well, I hate to be that guy, but money does make a huge difference.

Quite recently, I made a fresh start on my phone (Steam player here), and after ~3 weeks of relaxed play I don't even have a 2* champ (close, though). Most importantly I'm struggling to even roster all the 2* and few other characters.

Technically, you could just earn it by playing a lot, but not really. Rewarda for both progression and placement are super bad in low CLs, especially CP. Just the amount of 5* covers suggests a LOT of tokens opened.

Honestly, congratulations, I hope you enjoy your newly champed characters.

At the same time: that is not a typical new player experience, unless he spends a lot of money and dedicates a massive amount of free time.

Edit.:
    More about new player experience.

It's fine if you don't mind spending money. Roster slots will halt your progress really soon and you will get stuck for a long time.
    Low CLs give lousy rewards, especially cp and hp. You won't be earning much towards LTs or roster slots. You can either keep farming XP to slowly gain access to better CLs or you will get stuck.
    You get standard tokens instead elite, and standards get useless after first week of play. Newbie brackets help those commited enough to grind and it's easy to nail top places for extra covers, but without spending $$ you're stuck with not enough roster slots.

Surely, dropping few hundred bucks fixes most problems, but how many players are willing to drop that kind of money for match-3 game they just discovered?
    Before I'm "that guy" too, I'll congratulate the new player on their obvious love and commitment to the game.

Now I'll be "that guy" and say what a lot of people already know or are thinking:

This is exactly why our complaints/concerns about things on the forums are ignored. Does anyone think things are going to improve when the game is still drawing in new players that are dropping hundreds of dollars at the start? You know the answer to that.

Attracting new paying customers sends a clear message that everything is running smoothly. Maybe we should all just stop even discussing features we don't like.
  • TheZeusBear
    Options
    Day 118. 3rd champed, 4* Luke Cage. 

To a mod, if this isn't the appropriate forum to document days played/champs, can you move this topic to right section? Thanks! 
  • TheZeusBear
    Options
    Day 123, 4th champed, 4* Carol

Next few champed will be much slower, 2* farm is non-existent and have tons of 3* on vine I need to champ.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    @TheZeusBear
    Moved to Suggestions & Feedback, as it has become feedback regarding personal progression
  • TheZeusBear
    Options
    Day 127, 5th champed, 4* Blade.
  • TheZeusBear
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Day 141, champed 4* IF. Got side tracked champing 4 2*, will champ the rest of 2* before going back to leveling 4*