v2.0 Release Notes *Updated (4/28/17)

Options

Comments

• shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    Options
    spesler said:
    This whole scarcity of runes thing is a red herring.  Heroic encounters remain one of the best ways to grind runes (they don't seem to have eliminated that yet.)
    It is rather boring playing the same deck over and over, tho. Maybe it's just cos I grew up in the 80s, but I do find it odd that people just take it as read these days that games should include grind and that it should be as tedious as possible.

[edit] That said, grinding QB currently isn't a whole lot less tedious, I'll grant you
  • deletedgone
    deletedgone Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    Options
    You didn't play Dragon Warrior or 8-bit FF?
  • deletedgone
    deletedgone Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm kidding, but I share your sentiment.
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2017
    Options
    naphomci said:
    With the new QB, how many runes will we get per win? Also, (for clarification on the screenshot) is it 1 ribbon per win @Hibernum_JC
    It is 1 ribbon per win, and you now get 100 Runes per win in Training Grounds.

Essentially, doing 4 wins per day nets you a very healthy amount of runes + 15 Crystals. Doing the first 3 wins nets you more Runes than before if you did 3 wins in Quick Battle, but it drops off after that. Getting 3 wins is a very low investment and will greatly help newer players get more Runes quickly.
    I have to ask: did you actually read what you wrote? This might be one of the most nonsensical posts I've seen. Let's examine it:
    1st round - Old: 300, New: 250
    2nd Round - Old: 300, New: 350, total - Old: 600, New: 600
    3rd Round - Old: 300, New, 450, total - Old: 900, New: 1050
    4th Round - Old: 300, New 15 crystals, total - Old: 1200, New 1050 runes + 15 crystals
    5th Round - Old: 300, New 100, total - Old: 1500, New 1150 + 15 crystals.

The only time this new system "will greatly help newer players get more Runes quickly" is if they played precisely 3 rounds. Your statement is a plain mathematically falsehood.
    Here's the thing - your math is a bit off.

1st round: 100 for winning + 250 as a reward (total 350)
    2nd round: 100 for winning + 350 as a reward (total 350 + 450 = 800)
    3rd round: 100 for winning + 450 as a reward (total 550 + 800 = 1350)
    4th round: 100 for winning (total 1450)
    5th round: 100 for winning (total 1550)

Rewards get lower compared to the old Quick Battle after the 5th round (plus you get Crystals at 4, which is a good steady income of it).
    Aren't you leaving out the current QB placement reward?  Lowest tier reward for 1001 to 3000 is +200 Runes, which you will achieve with a single win.  So:

1st round: Old 500, New 350
    2nd round: Old 800, New 800
    3rd round: Old 1100, New 1350
    4th round: Old 1400, New 1450
    5th round: Old 1700, New 1550
    6th round: Old 2000, New 1650
    10th round: Old 3200, New 2050
    20th round: Old 6200, New 3050
    30th round: Old 9200, New 4050

(Of course somewhere in those 10+ games you will be climbing to higher reward tiers)

Are there going to be improvements in other sources of Runes?  My own personal experience is I know a lot more players who are challenged acquiring sufficient Runes to level the PW's they already own vs. being unable to purchase a particular PW due to lack of Crystals.
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Wait please. There is 14 one color and 9 dual color pw. 16*160k > 2,5m runes. 8500 qb. I know that people can grind that, but normal human beings don't.  Especially taking into account plans for deck slots. So runes for standard players, which there is majority of - the statement is ot true
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,230 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Szamsziel said:
    Wait please. There is 14 one color and 9 dual color pw. 16*160k > 2,5m runes. 8500 qb. I know that people can grind that, but normal human beings don't.  Especially taking into account plans for deck slots. So runes for standard players, which there is majority of - the statement is ot true

It's a deliberate attempt to slow down the pace of the game so that you can't level, attain rewards, or complete collections as quickly as you can now--and I'm using "complete" very loosely there. Considering the tedium of this pace, it's very possibly a death knell. 
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Honestly, they shouldn't be trying to slow people down, but to give people a good end game activity. Jewels and masterpieces failed that role magnificently 
  • ifsandbuts
    ifsandbuts Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Options

Ohboy said:
    A reminder that the 250 rune heroic Encounters are still there if rune grinding is your intention. 
    Call me a conspiracy theorist, but the "Story" content can be accessed from choosing QB from the menu (and vice versa).

Who says they aren't wiping bith? Story doesn't use their "event programming" (or whatever he called it in the update notes) and he said that is the only system they will be using going forward.
  • Hibernum_JC
    Hibernum_JC Posts: 318 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Ohboy said:
    A reminder that the 250 rune heroic Encounters are still there if rune grinding is your intention. 
    Call me a conspiracy theorist, but the "Story" content can be accessed from choosing QB from the menu (and vice versa).

Who says they aren't wiping bith? Story doesn't use their "event programming" (or whatever he called it in the update notes) and he said that is the only system they will be using going forward.
    I haven't had a lot of time this weekend (and neither today, to be honest!) but I can at least confirm that we're not removing Story Mode whatsoever. The Heroic encounters will remain in.
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I haven't had a lot of time this weekend (and neither today, to be honest!) but I can at least confirm that we're not removing Story Mode whatsoever. The Heroic encounters will remain in.
    Any intentions to modify mana runes gain there? (to "keep it consistent across activities")
  • Yvendros
    Yvendros Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Concerning event deck slots, any chances they can be saved between event instances?  of course i don't know how events are coded.  if the event is completely deleted each time, it makes sense why we couldn't have this.  

but i know i'll always use the same vehicle deck for certain events.  and i don't really fancy remembering how to rebuild those each time...
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yvendros said:
    Concerning event deck slots, any chances they can be saved between event instances?  of course i don't know how events are coded.  if the event is completely deleted each time, it makes sense why we couldn't have this.  

but i know i'll always use the same vehicle deck for certain events.  and i don't really fancy remembering how to rebuild those each time...
    I saw posted elsewhere that they decks will not be saved event to event without buying the planeswalker deck slot. However it DOES mean you can more easily craft your event deck while leaving your preferred planeswalker deck in tact. I do think that's a major plus.
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yvendros said:

I also think that the new deck slots and easy copying
    into events is so that those players can save event
    decks between events.

HH
  • losdamianos
    losdamianos Posts: 429 Mover and Shaker
    Options

• Yvendros
    Options
    wereotter said:
    Yvendros said:

I saw posted elsewhere that they decks will not be saved event to event without buying the planeswalker deck slot. However it DOES mean you can more easily craft your event deck while leaving your preferred planeswalker deck in tact. I do think that's a major plus.
    hmm, that would make sense. i forgot about the copying feature.   
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I very much hope they haven't replaced a system where we have to constantly rebuild our decks with a system where we have to rebuild our decks a little bit less.

3 Permanent deck slots for Ob or Kiora really doesn't sound like enough to keep me from having to save and rebuild decks. In the meantime, I very much doubt I'll need 3 for Jace 1 or Garruk.

My expectation is that the deck slot system has not been designed with the convenience of the user in mind.
  • naphomci
    naphomci Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options
    @Hibernum_JC
    You took the time to correct my math (which itself omitted the runes from ranking in QB, so your math was also off). Can you please respond to the other issues? How is it better for newer players to take the reliable source of uncommons/rares? How is making the system "better" for players who only play 5 or less rounds a day better overall?

Perhaps what the community needs to do is start going to Wizards of the Coasts. They generally listen, and are quite protective of their IPs. Maybe if this community complains enough about what is happening here they can actually try to get implemented some of what the community is concerned about.
  • Yvendros
    edited April 2017
    Options
    naphomci said:
    You took the time to correct my math (which itself omitted the runes from ranking in QB, so your math was also off). Can you please respond to the other issues? How is it better for newer players to take the reliable source of uncommons/rares? How is making the system "better" for players who only play 5 or less rounds a day better overall?

Perhaps what the community needs to do is start going to Wizards of the Coasts. They generally listen, and are quite protective of their IPs. Maybe if this community complains enough about what is happening here they can actually try to get implemented some of what the community is concerned about.
    please don't be asking them difficult questions.  they don't want to explain to us why they're actually slowing the accrual of all currencies.  they evade this question every single time.  they're probably not allowed to answer.

edit1: sorry JC, didn't mean to tag you.  tags work in quotes too apparently.

edit2:  thanks all for answering the questions you DO answer.  :smile:
  • Yawgmoth
    Yawgmoth Posts: 67 Match Maker
    Options
    Any word on this update fixing the rewards for most events? They have gone completely tinykitty in the last update and have been this bad for a very long time despite all the outrage. For me a no change will probably mean uninstall...
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @yawgmoth I'll miss playing your decks with this update. Is anyone else sad that we won't see Brian, Mersicide, Kilpher, Ultradaved and whoever else after this update? I can guarantee I won't miss Kilphers Kiora,but Yawgmoth's decks were fun, as were some of the other people's that I faced.