Comments

• Justyce
    Justyce Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Options
    As a way to help us get rares can you start selling rare packs 
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Options
    With the new QB, how many runes will we get per win? Also, (for clarification on the screenshot) is it 1 ribbon per win @Hibernum_JC
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Can we also discuss what a event decks restrictions?
    Few examples: 
    Cast no supports - what about pw when you have to add supports just because pw limits?
    Cast no more than 2 supports - how many in decks will be appropriate? 
    Energize x - how many cards or pw abilities are required?
    Win with 90 life - so no Sorin allowed?
    Adding such limitations is bad for game. But it's nothing new isn't it? 

• tfg76
    tfg76 Posts: 258 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Two statements caught my eye here:

"That’s right - you will now only fight decks made for the current event, and no longer a random selection from your opponent’s roster"

Was this ever how it worked? So they somehow picked a fitting opponent for you, and then a deck from his roster? That explains a lot of the bad matchmaking people are complaining about, and seems like a completely ridiculous plan. To be honest, I wish they'd just get rid of matchmaking and instead have tournament tiers ("Beginner", "Advanced", Expert") that were open to anyone, but had increasing prize levels and where you could meet any other submitted deck/planeswalker, regardless of planeswalker level or how many bad cards they had chosen to play with over time (== mastery). That would also encourage people to stop sandbagging their mastery or planeswalker levels. Make the best deck you can and win!

"Ensure that your deck fits within the deck building restriction for the event"

I like the sound of this! We haven't had deck building restrictions yet, and to me, it's much better to say "play with at least three werewolves in your deck" than "play 3 werewolves", since the latter leads to such strange gameplay. I'd also love to see "play only commons", "play only with cards from Kaladesh block" and so on. D3: learn from Wizards here - they've always used deck restrictions to maintain healthy and interesting environments. Maybe a "Legacy", "Classic", "Standard" kind of thing is called for in MtGPQ as well?

And, fitting with the previous statement, perhaps the "Beginner" level of events were limited to one mythic per deck or max level 40 planeswalkers or whatever.

• Hibernum_JC
    Hibernum_JC Posts: 318 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Szamsziel said:
    Can we also discuss what a event decks restrictions?
    Few examples: 
    Cast no supports - what about pw when you have to add supports just because pw limits?
    Cast no more than 2 supports - how many in decks will be appropriate? 
    Energize x - how many cards or pw abilities are required?
    Win with 90 life - so no Sorin allowed?
    Adding such limitations is bad for game. But it's nothing new isn't it? 

So as of now, the only restrictions on nodes are Planeswalker-color based. There are no restrictions on putting specific cards, card types, etc in decks.

In the future we may implement more restrictions, such as rarities or sets, but for this very moment it's just restrictions based on colors.THEMAGICkMAN said:
    With the new QB, how many runes will we get per win? Also, (for clarification on the screenshot) is it 1 ribbon per win @Hibernum_JC
    It is 1 ribbon per win, and you now get 100 Runes per win in Training Grounds.

Essentially, doing 4 wins per day nets you a very healthy amount of runes + 15 Crystals. Doing the first 3 wins nets you more Runes than before if you did 3 wins in Quick Battle, but it drops off after that. Getting 3 wins is a very low investment and will greatly help newer players get more Runes quickly.
  • toastie
    toastie Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    @Hibernum_JC Care to address why the last two updates have made it harder to get rare and mythic cards, and if this was the intent? This feels like a giant middle finger to dedicated players, and make me less excited about playing the game.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,230 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    tfg76 said:

like the sound of this! We haven't had deck building restrictions yet, and to me, it's much better to say "play with at least three werewolves in your deck" than "play 3 werewolves", since the latter leads to such strange gameplay.

I wanted to point out that this is a great way to reframe objectives so that they encourage use of cards from new sets, without causing tedious matchups where people spend most of their time stalling so that they can get their Nth vampire out.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    madwren said:
    tfg76 said:

like the sound of this! We haven't had deck building restrictions yet, and to me, it's much better to say "play with at least three werewolves in your deck" than "play 3 werewolves", since the latter leads to such strange gameplay.

I wanted to point out that this is a great way to reframe objectives so that they encourage use of cards from new sets, without causing tedious matchups where people spend most of their time stalling so that they can get their Nth vampire out.

Whoah! Once again we're making assumptions here. What's more likely, that D3 have changed the code on objectives? Or that they're just being slightly unspecific with their language in this thread, and the objectives will work in exactly the same way as before?
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    Options
    naphomci said:

Essentially, doing 4 wins per day nets you a very healthy amount of runes + 15 Crystals. Doing the first 3 wins nets you more Runes than before if you did 3 wins in Quick Battle, but it drops off after that. Getting 3 wins is a very low investment and will greatly help newer players get more Runes quickly.
    I have to ask: did you actually read what you wrote? This might be one of the most nonsensical posts I've seen. Let's examine it:
    1st round - Old: 300, New: 250
    2nd Round - Old: 300, New: 350, total - Old: 600, New: 600
    3rd Round - Old: 300, New, 450, total - Old: 900, New: 1050
    4th Round - Old: 300, New 15 crystals, total - Old: 1200, New 1050 runes + 15 crystals
    5th Round - Old: 300, New 100, total - Old: 1500, New 1150 + 15 crystals.

The only time this new system "will greatly help newer players get more Runes quickly" is if they played precisely 3 rounds. Your statement is a plain mathematically falsehood.
    @Hibernum_JC
    I completely agree with @naphomci . The numbers speak for themselves. Saying that this is a better way for new people to get runes is a blatant lie. Call it what you will, but the only conclusion I can make based on this is that D3 is once again crippling the flow of in-game currency to the player base. It reeks of greed.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Here's a thought. Deck slots will cost 45,000 runes, and less runes will be given out in QB, so there will now be even less reason for players to level their new planeswalkers up to level 60.

Playing below level 60 in events in order to get easier opponents and easier objectives is a pretty clear exploit. Is anything being done about this.

I fear that locking the 3rd deck slot to lvl60 PWs will not be nearly enough.
  • madwren
    Options
    shteev said:
    madwren said:
    tfg76 said:

Whoah! Once again we're making assumptions here. What's more likely, that D3 have changed the code on objectives? Or that they're just being slightly unspecific with their language in this thread, and the objectives will work in exactly the same way as before?

I was just commenting that I like the idea that tfg76 put forth. I'm pretty sure that no card-restriction functionality has been implemented in this patch.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    Options
    shteev said:
    madwren said:
    tfg76 said:

Actually, we did get a response on this just a couple replies above. It sounds like we aren't, as of yet, getting new objectives.

I think there's another bit of a disconnect between what players are griping about and what the developers understood us to mean. Complaining about non-event decks doesn't mean complaining about playing against decks that weren't entered into the event, since we had no way of knowing if the deck was entered or not, I always assumed not, but it was a complaint about being matched against decks not crafted to play in the event.
    So as of now, the only restrictions on nodes are Planeswalker-color based. There are no restrictions on putting specific cards, card types, etc in decks.
  • Hibernum_JC
    Hibernum_JC Posts: 318 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2017
    Options
    naphomci said:

I have to ask: did you actually read what you wrote? This might be one of the most nonsensical posts I've seen. Let's examine it:
    4th Round - Old: 300, New 15 crystals, total - Old: 1200, New 1050 runes + 15 crystals

The only time this new system "will greatly help newer players get more Runes quickly" is if they played precisely 3 rounds. Your statement is a plain mathematically falsehood.
    Here's the thing - your math is a bit off.

1st round: 100 for winning + 250 as a reward (total 350)
    2nd round: 100 for winning + 350 as a reward (total 350 + 450 = 800)
    3rd round: 100 for winning + 450 as a reward (total 550 + 800 = 1350)
    4th round: 100 for winning (total 1450)
    5th round: 100 for winning (total 1550)

Rewards get lower compared to the old Quick Battle after the 5th round (plus you get Crystals at 4, which is a good steady income of it).
  • Yvendros
    Yvendros Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I also have other good news to share with you guys.

Good news indeed!  It's heartening to hear that you guys are actively working on our concerns.  :)
  • madwren
    Options

The potential exploit you warned us about yesterday with Event Decks (setting a troll deck when stopping playing) has been fixed.

You now will only match against your opponent's last PLAYED deck, not set deck. This means that for you to match against a troll deck, your opponent needs to have played with it (and most likely denied themselves objectives, which is good for you in the long run).

We'll continue to improve the matchmaking as things unfold, but I just wanted to make sure this was noted so that it can alleviate some of your concerns.

Good news indeed. 
  • naphomci
    naphomci Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2017
    Options
    naphomci said:

Here's the thing - your math is a bit off.

1st round: 100 for winning + 250 as a reward (total 350)
    2nd round: 100 for winning + 350 as a reward (total 350 + 450 = 800)
    3rd round: 100 for winning + 450 as a reward (total 550 + 800 = 1350)
    4th round: 100 for winning (total 1450)
    5th round: 100 for winning (total 1550)

Rewards get lower compared to the old Quick Battle after the 5th round (plus you get Crystals at 4, which is a good steady income of it).
    Sorry, I didn't realize the 100 were regardless of progression. However, this still belies the statement that this new system "will greatly help newer players get more Runes quickly." The only way that statement is true is if the new player only plays 5 rounds a day. Considering that isn't remotely enough to level up at the higher levels, it just isn't mathematically true that this system allows greater rune collections faster. 

And while the 15 crystals as nice, it does not replace the guaranteed uncommon/rare and packs, which is the real harm to new players. Now, every 4 days they can buy a pack and not even get 1 uncommon--let alone a rare. Trying to sell this as good for new players is blatantly disingenuous--and that is coming from someone playing the game less than 2 months.
  • Infested
    Infested Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options

The potential exploit you warned us about yesterday with Event Decks (setting a troll deck when stopping playing) has been fixed.

You now will only match against your opponent's last PLAYED deck, not set deck. This means that for you to match against a troll deck, your opponent needs to have played with it (and most likely denied themselves objectives, which is good for you in the long run).

We'll continue to improve the matchmaking as things unfold, but I just wanted to make sure this was noted so that it can alleviate some of your concerns.
    Solid change. Glad that you listen to the feedback. 
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Reading, re-reading, checking, doubling checking and just making sure there are no sneaky hidden lines that could mean other nerfs or rewards slashes or other bad things.