v2.0 Release Notes *Updated (4/28/17)

Options

Comments

• losdamianos
    losdamianos Posts: 429 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Essentially, doing 4 wins per day nets you a very healthy amount of runes + 15 Crystals. 
    1450 runes per day is hardly healthy amount, to lvl up 3 dual color Planeswalkers you will need 160k * 3 = 480k / 1.45 = 331 days to have 3 them at lvl 60, need another few months to unlock extra deck slot :cold_sweat:
  • aenigmaeffect
    aenigmaeffect Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Options
    I also have other good news to share with you guys.

The potential exploit you warned us about yesterday with Event Decks (setting a troll deck when stopping playing) has been fixed.

You now will only match against your opponent's last PLAYED deck, not set deck. This means that for you to match against a troll deck, your opponent needs to have played with it (and most likely denied themselves objectives, which is good for you in the long run).

We'll continue to improve the matchmaking as things unfold, but I just wanted to make sure this was noted so that it can alleviate some of your concerns.
    @Brigby
    @Hibernum_JC

It's great to hear that feedback is listened to. I really hope this highlights the usefulness of early communication, and fixing something before release = cheaper. Furthermore, the community can give even more directed feedback if some of us are beta testing (major) updates. 

I'm assuming the development team is relatively small and strapped for manpower. However, I think that there are MANY on this forum who would gladly want to be involved in the testing process. This will give advanced feedback on any bugs or potential issues BEFORE they are released to the public. 

Moreover, this may alleviate some of the strain on your own manpower: one person to organize the external testers, get a bunch of stress testing. 

Also, this would provide some much needed positive PR. Evangelists are hard to come by, but have huge impact. Look at all the YouTube "celebrities". You can help foster that, if you so choose. 

• Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Regarding runes:
    Origin story episode 1 with 3 lvl AI with sloppy deck gives you 100 runes
    Pretty boring (after few runs) heroic encounters gives you 250 runes 
    Fight with equal lvl deck created by players ( in which you can loose)  gives you 100 runes.
    Is it just me or I see the bad reward/risk scenario? 
  • tinyau
    tinyau Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Options

The potential exploit you warned us about yesterday with Event Decks (setting a troll deck when stopping playing) has been fixed.

You now will only match against your opponent's last PLAYED deck, not set deck. This means that for you to match against a troll deck, your opponent needs to have played with it (and most likely denied themselves objectives, which is good for you in the long run).

We'll continue to improve the matchmaking as things unfold, but I just wanted to make sure this was noted so that it can alleviate some of your concerns.
    Just curious for "matched PLAYED deck only", what deck can be matched against for the 1st player join the event?
  • Szamsziel
    Options
    If no valid deck found if player not in (Killwind, Merciside) select random deck (Killwind, Merciside)  else "starting encounter error"
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Szamsziel said:
    If no valid deck found if player not in (Killwind, Merciside) select random deck (Killwind, Merciside)  else "starting encounter error"

It gives an error until another player registers. That's how it works in trials. 
  • Delnai
    Delnai Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Hibernum_JC said:

Doing the first 3 wins nets you more Runes than before if you did 3 wins in Quick Battle, but it drops off after that. Getting 3 wins is a very low investment and will greatly help newer players get more Runes quickly.
    I'm confused by what you're saying @Hibernum_JC. Are you saying that this helps new players *if* they're only winning 3 matches a day? Or are you saying that you have looked at the data of how many matches new players play per day, and have worked out the numbers and calculated that more runes will be given out to new players under this new prize system? Everyone seems to assume you meant the former, but I actually read it as the latter at first.

To everyone else jumping on him for this statement, it's not necessarily wrong. He didn't say that this will help *every* new player earn runes more quickly, just that overall it will help new players. There nothing inconsistent about a change being bad for the dozens or hundreds of players at the top while being good overall when you take into account the effect on the other thousands of players. 
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,435 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So a question,  while I get the change for Baral and can see its potential and it's still quite powerful... if the following can be answered.  Does investigate resolve before the new Baral ability triggers? Because strategy wise this is a huge factor in deck design regarding his add 4 mana to each spell in hand at the beginning of the turn. If investigate resolves after the Baral mana delivery, that's going to be a real bummer. 
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Justyce said:
    As a way to help us get rares can you start selling rare packs 
    You already get a guaranteed rare for 300 crystals... It happens to also come with five packs of dupes....
  • naphomci
    naphomci Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Delnai said:

To everyone else jumping on him for this statement, it's not necessarily wrong. He didn't say that this will help *every* new player earn runes more quickly, just that overall it will help new players. There nothing inconsistent about a change being bad for the dozens or hundreds of players at the top while being good overall when you take into account the effect on the other thousands of players. 
    The problem is, this system is mathematically worse for anyone who wants to get runs beyond the first 5 rounds. The statement was "will greatly help newer players get more Runes quickly." Under this proposed system, the help is not "great" considering the cost to level a 30-40 walker is already more than a day's 5 rounds, it simply does not allow access to "more" runes because the rate drops considerably after round 5. And "quickly" is also a misnomer, because for this system to be better, you have to play 0-5 matches a days. When in QB, you could play 20 matches and gets several days worth of runes under this new system. That is why people are jumping on the statement. It seems very similar to other recent changes 'for newer players' that are plainly not beneficial for newer players.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    A reminder that the 250 rune heroic Encounters are still there if rune grinding is your intention. 
  • -bubufina
    -bubufina Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Options

Essentially, doing 4 wins per day nets you a very healthy amount of runes + 15 Crystals. 
    1450 runes per day is hardly healthy amount, to lvl up 3 dual color Planeswalkers you will need 160k * 3 = 480k / 1.45 = 331 days to have 3 them at lvl 60, need another few months to unlock extra deck slot :cold_sweat:
    I'd like to thank whoever was behind this decision. By reducing rewards (progression) and setting limits where they completely drop off after a few games played, you've really opened up my time to explore other games.
  • Delnai
    Delnai Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Ohboy said:
    A reminder that the 250 rune heroic Encounters are still there if rune grinding is your intention. 
    Right. But a lot of the concern expressed in this thread is for the new player experience, and new players are certainly not able to just grind out heroic match wins. 
  • losdamianos
    losdamianos Posts: 429 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Ohboy said:
    what if your intention besides  pointless rune grinding is playing for an occasional reward, just a chance of rare (which as you progress gets worse because you have more rares, hence bigger chance for dupe)
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,230 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ohboy said:
    what if your intention besides  pointless rune grinding is playing for an occasional reward, just a chance of rare (which as you progress gets worse because you have more rares, hence bigger chance for dupe)

Or testing your mettle against actual player decks of varying design since a lot of story mode decks are either ridiculously easy, or artificially inflated to a difficulty level very unfriendly to new players.
  • Justyce
    Justyce Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Options
    Can we get the option to buy runes now and not just in special packs.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

You can save 9 different Kiora decks (one per node).
    I just had a thought about this. Does this mean that once you've selected a PW for a PvE event, that it's locked in? Prior to now, PWs haven't been locked in in PvE, ony in PvP. This would limit experimentation in PvE?

Good to know that you'd like to fix some exploits for us. How do you feel about the exploit of deliberatly using low level PWs in events to gain an advantage over players who have levelled theirs up to max? I met a player exploiting the system today with a level 37 Tezz 2 (running Herald of Anguish, if you please), whilst i was exploiting the system running a level 30 Tezz 1.

Any chance something might be done about this one?

• Szamsziel
    Options
    shteev said
    Good to know that you'd like to fix some exploits for us. How do you feel about the exploit of deliberatly using low level PWs in events to gain an advantage over players who have levelled theirs up to max? I met a player exploiting the system today with a level 37 Tezz 2 (running Herald of Anguish, if you please), whilst i was exploiting the system running a level 30 Tezz 1.

With runes being again scarce resource - how do you want to distinguish between player who "deliberatly"  not level their pw vs people who gather runes for something?  also the new players which cannot afford leveling all pw want to participate and to have chance for ladder rewards.
    Only way I can see is to make virtual 60 lvl pw on each node.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Szamsziel said:
    shteev said

With runes being again scarce resource - how do you want to distinguish between player who "deliberatly"  not level their pw vs people who gather runes for something?  also the new players which cannot afford leveling all pw want to participate and to have chance for ladder rewards.
    Only way I can see is to make virtual 60 lvl pw on each node.
    Anyone who bought Tezz2 and Herald for cash got a whole bunch of runes along with them.

IMO, in the top tier, (be it Platinum, or even a new one which should probably already have been introduced into the game), it should be assumed that players are not newbies and do not have restricted access to resources.
  • deletedgone
    deletedgone Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    Options
    This whole scarcity of runes thing is a red herring.  Heroic encounters remain one of the best ways to grind runes (they don't seem to have eliminated that yet.)

Getting rid of QB has done two things which the devs like:

1. Simplified management of the code base (now uses event structure like everything else).

2. Reduction in free content available to players (specifically card packs, guaranteed rares and mythics).

Let's not waste anymore time arguing about runes.  It is just misdirection.