Power Gem Season Updates *Updated (4/6/17)

Comments

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,159 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yawn about OML

I'm delighted with Elektra's buff. Especially her purple, makes her a great partner for, and great counter to, Wasp. Plus her red stealing purple and black (and red at level 5) gives extra utility, along with being able to place it on black and purple, not just red
  • areyes81
    areyes81 Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    I don't buy the reason for oml nerf. Clearly the right research wasn't done or all the factors that determine why OML was used the most wasn't considered. 

The compensation is ****. If you are making such a drastic change to a popular toon, especially a 5* that is extremely hard to fully cover then selling him for random tokens is trash. The option to pick the toon and covers that they should go to is a better option rather than relying on RNG only to most likely get covers that are useless like my 1/5/1 BB where I'll get more black covers to trash

• snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2017
    What's not to understand? With OML in the game we don't buy enough health packs according to their bean counters. Simple mercenary cost/benefit analysis says that the number of players who get pissed and stop spending money will be offset by increased health pack purchases made by other more addicted players. 
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    they should keep the vault forever  and let us re-roll covers till we get the one we like, for every 5* cover, not just OML.
  • Adrock1020
    Adrock1020 Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    areyes81 said:
    fmftint said:
    No vitriol intended, I just think the outrage over the nerf is overblown considering there's so many other options to use. If someone has a high leveled OML, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume they have a couple of other high leveled/covered 5-stars? Use them instead. Problem solved. Honestly you're right that OML wasn't overpowered, but he was definitely overused and it made things boring in a game with a ton of diversity. The "true fan" bit came off a bit pretentious, I admit, but I guess my point was that if someone is threatening to quit playing the game altogether because of a nerf to one character, then it makes me think they don't really appreciate all the game has to offer. I'm on day 1200+ and I've spent hundreds of dollars on the game. I've read posts from people saying they're quitting because they removed environment tiles. Then they're quitting because the nerfed XFW. Then 4hor. Etc. Its an ever evolving, ever expanding game and to put all your eggs in one basket (character) is unwise. If someone unwisely did that and they want to storm off and quit, so be it. I'll keep playing and take their spot. 
    You're very naive. NO having one decent level 5 star DOES NOT mean you have others as well
    It's not naivety, it's just averages. If you pulled say, 10 OML covers from LTs, then you should probably have about that many SS or Phoenix covers. Maybe a few less for BB, Goblin, BSS etc. I think it's pretty naive to think someone has fully covered OML and not a single other 5-star with at least 8 covers. 
    You are naive and clearly don't have a max 5* my oml is lvl 462, that comes from that hard work you spoke of before the 5* pool was diluted and given horrible odds. My next 2 closest is 454 PHX and 451 SS, no other 5* is over 9 covers. Classics are so diluted that I only pull from latest in hopes of covering one before a new one comes out and they get regulated. It took me 1yr to cover 3 5* and at this rate will be 2 yrs before another one is. A diluted pool with horrible draw rates is why OML is popular even though he isn't the best. It's because at that level and MMR and a diluted pool, he is all folks have to survive. Otherwise they sell a max 5* and negate all the effort (and yes for some money) put into having a toon that helps against MMR where 70k Juggernauts in pve with cheap powers and against other OP 5*
    You're confusing naivety with me being unsympathetic. You're right, I don't have a champed 5-star. That doesn't even matter. I do have a bunch of champed 4-stars. If one of them got nerfed, I wouldn't start throwing an online hissy fit demanding compensation and threatening to quit the game. I would just move on to the next character. So....move on to the next character. 
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    So the strategy is to not only not offer 1:1 covers for the OML, but also to put us at the mercy of RNG? I think it's pretty clear that people have been asking for colorless covers for years for a reason. If I was to sell my OML, get ~9 NMG pulls, and then pull 6 useless classic dupes... what was the point? I've destroyed my roster and gotten next to nothing in return. I don't think that you understand how compensation is supposed to work, because this is absolutely miserable.

I think a fair idea is just to offer the NMG covers without needing to sell OML, and then give extra if we do decide to sell him.
  • StreetPreacher
    StreetPreacher Posts: 54 Match Maker
    In my previous post I requested "fixing the system" over nerfs. Here's another fix suggestion for the system: Don't allow us to mix characters from different star tiers. The reason OML was so popular was because we were allowed to use him at low covers as a tank for our 2's or 3's. If OML is only allowed to fight other 5's, no nerfs will be required. Players are currently mixing tiers because our competition is doing it as well. I believe mandating 1 tier at a time will make the game more balanced. It will also provide incentive for players with deep rosters to compete at the maximum level they can, because rewards will be commensurate for that level of play. It will also solve the soft-capping exploit.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    By implementing this then it's no different than re-rolling the token to get what you want.
  • Maceo511
    Maceo511 Posts: 67 Match Maker
    Vhailorx said:
    Hahaha I love this. It's a great day for all the true fans of this game that play it for the character diversity, strategy and real competition. It's a sad day for anyone who unwisely thought they could always just buy their way to the top. And for anyone with a high level OML that thinks they're entitled to some ridiculous compensation, you're out of your mind. You've won enough with your overpowered character. Maybe try winning a match with one of the other 100+ characters. 
    C'mon, this is ridiculous.  There are some players that invested iso in OML within the last two weeks.  Have they "won enough with [their] over powered character"? 

And why do you get to define what it means to be a "true fan"? 

And why is OML overpowered?  Those people with all the 5*s agree that he is no longer one of the best 5*s.  Those players with decent OMLs and lots of 4* champs generally use boosted 4* champs in PVP.  Anyone with a single 5* champ (OML or anyone else) HAS to use that champ in all hard PVE and PVP nodes because of scaling MMR. 

There doesn't seem to be a lot of logic or sense behind your post.  Just vitriol based in the (incorrect) belief that having OML is an "easy" button for the game.  Maybe it was in November 2015.  But that hasn't been true for about a year. 
    No vitriol intended, I just think the outrage over the nerf is overblown considering there's so many other options to use. If someone has a high leveled OML, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume they have a couple of other high leveled/covered 5-stars? Use them instead. Problem solved. Honestly you're right that OML wasn't overpowered, but he was definitely overused and it made things boring in a game with a ton of diversity.
    I have a level 486 OML and a 483 Phoenix, my next closest is SS at 476, and then almost every other 5star either at 450+ level or not champed and useless. This cause I chose to pull Classics for a long while instead of changing to latest - why should I be punished for that choice now and barely compensated? I think BB is a better character than OML, but I don't have him at a high enough level so I can't play him. Give me a 5star for every OML cover I have (That's 49) and then we'll talk.
    I think you should sell your OML and Phoenix, it'll help reduce your PVE scaling and the limited tokens will assure your scaling says lower.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    fmftint said:
    No vitriol intended, I just think the outrage over the nerf is overblown considering there's so many other options to use. If someone has a high leveled OML, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume they have a couple of other high leveled/covered 5-stars? Use them instead. Problem solved. Honestly you're right that OML wasn't overpowered, but he was definitely overused and it made things boring in a game with a ton of diversity. The "true fan" bit came off a bit pretentious, I admit, but I guess my point was that if someone is threatening to quit playing the game altogether because of a nerf to one character, then it makes me think they don't really appreciate all the game has to offer. I'm on day 1200+ and I've spent hundreds of dollars on the game. I've read posts from people saying they're quitting because they removed environment tiles. Then they're quitting because the nerfed XFW. Then 4hor. Etc. Its an ever evolving, ever expanding game and to put all your eggs in one basket (character) is unwise. If someone unwisely did that and they want to storm off and quit, so be it. I'll keep playing and take their spot. 
    You're very naive. NO having one decent level 5 star DOES NOT mean you have others as well
    It's not naivety, it's just averages. If you pulled say, 10 OML covers from LTs, then you should probably have about that many SS or Phoenix covers. Maybe a few less for BB, Goblin, BSS etc. I think it's pretty naive to think someone has fully covered OML and not a single other 5-star with at least 8 covers. 
    There are three people in my alliance for whom OML is the only championed, or near championed 5* that they have available.  The OML nerf basically throws them all back into 4* land, and they've all been working really hard over the last year to finish off a 5*.  One of them spent 1440CP recently to finish off his OML.

You're assuming averages, but when you do, you're looking at a bell-curve, and there are going to be people sitting at the wrong end of the curve.  "Probably have about that many SS or Phoenix covers" doesn't hold true for a lot of people.
  • WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    So OML got nerfed......Carnage got nerfed (and with him also the duo Carnage+Medusa) :#
    Elektra seems buffed BUT if you read between the lines....she now convert strike, protect and attack tiles ( very good) , but does not create weak strike enemy tiles so she no longer is useful into facing Koecelius......In my point of view this is a BIG NERF TOO  :s>:)   
    Congrats Devs  You ruined multiple characters in a single shot  :p
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    WEBGAS said:
    So OML got nerfed......Carnage got nerfed (and with him also the duo Carnage+Medusa) :#
    Elektra seems buffed BUT if you read between the lines....she now convert strike, protect and attack tiles ( very good) , but does not create weak strike enemy tiles so she no longer is useful into facing Koecelius......In my point of view this is a BIG NERF TOO  :s>:)   
    Changing her utility against a boss you might only see once or twice a year is a BIG NERF?

Okay, then.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    You're confusing naivety with me being unsympathetic. You're right, I don't have a champed 5-star. That doesn't even matter. I do have a bunch of champed 4-stars. If one of them got nerfed, I wouldn't start throwing an online hissy fit demanding compensation and threatening to quit the game. I would just move on to the next character. So....move on to the next character. 

Here's the difference.  How long does it take you to champ a 4*?  Can you target individual covers to help you champ that 4* in PvE and PvP progression and placement?  Can you target individual 4* covers by drawing from limited time vaults to help you cover them and champ them?

You can't do any of that with a 5*.  It's all at the mercy of RNG, and it takes far, far longer (and far more pulls) to cover a 5*.  So moving on to the next character is fine in theory, but that's often a whole 6+ month hoard away before you can do that.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    WEBGAS said:
    That's not what the change says, though. It doesn't say "Double Double Cross no longer creates enemy strike tiles." It's a straight improvement, because it targets more enemy tiles than it used to. But the creation of enemy tiles, and the improvement to tiles stolen, and the number of tiles stolen (1 at 1 cover, 2 at 3 covers, and 2 +1 if you have a friendly trap tile at 5 covers) should remain unchanged.
  • lokiagentofhotness
    lokiagentofhotness Posts: 192 Tile Toppler
    Maceo511 said:
    Vhailorx said:
    Hahaha I love this. It's a great day for all the true fans of this game that play it for the character diversity, strategy and real competition. It's a sad day for anyone who unwisely thought they could always just buy their way to the top. And for anyone with a high level OML that thinks they're entitled to some ridiculous compensation, you're out of your mind. You've won enough with your overpowered character. Maybe try winning a match with one of the other 100+ characters. 
    C'mon, this is ridiculous.  There are some players that invested iso in OML within the last two weeks.  Have they "won enough with [their] over powered character"? 

And why do you get to define what it means to be a "true fan"? 

And why is OML overpowered?  Those people with all the 5*s agree that he is no longer one of the best 5*s.  Those players with decent OMLs and lots of 4* champs generally use boosted 4* champs in PVP.  Anyone with a single 5* champ (OML or anyone else) HAS to use that champ in all hard PVE and PVP nodes because of scaling MMR. 

There doesn't seem to be a lot of logic or sense behind your post.  Just vitriol based in the (incorrect) belief that having OML is an "easy" button for the game.  Maybe it was in November 2015.  But that hasn't been true for about a year. 
    No vitriol intended, I just think the outrage over the nerf is overblown considering there's so many other options to use. If someone has a high leveled OML, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume they have a couple of other high leveled/covered 5-stars? Use them instead. Problem solved. Honestly you're right that OML wasn't overpowered, but he was definitely overused and it made things boring in a game with a ton of diversity.
    I have a level 486 OML and a 483 Phoenix, my next closest is SS at 476, and then almost every other 5star either at 450+ level or not champed and useless. This cause I chose to pull Classics for a long while instead of changing to latest - why should I be punished for that choice now and barely compensated? I think BB is a better character than OML, but I don't have him at a high enough level so I can't play him. Give me a 5star for every OML cover I have (That's 49) and then we'll talk.
    I think you should sell your OML and Phoenix, it'll help reduce your PVE scaling and the limited tokens will assure your scaling says lower.
    Okay I'll do that - thanks for the advice Maceo!!
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Carnage actually looks intriguing

lets just assume next run of venom bomb he'll have red
    By intriguing do you actually mean nerfed into oblivion as unless his damage has been increased greatly on his red that one is a hefty nerf, black is a clear nerf unless they have increased the difference in power levels between the friendly and enemy tiles by a lot and the green is about even since it is cheaper but will have much less chance of hitting special tiles. I hope that they will explain their reasoning behind this change as a vaulted mid-tier 4* hardly seems like an ideal candidate for the nerf bat.