The Hunt for the Falcon - April 18 - 27

Comments

• NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I still highly doubt that you get any advantage from doing the nodes early. If previous PvE events have taught us anything, its that you're wasting your time if you grind points anytime before the last two refreshes, so I'm not going to bother until then and just ride rubberbanding to victory.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    POWERED UP
    Thor (modern)
    Captain America (Steve Rogers)
    Human Torch (Classic)
    Magneto (Marvel Now)
    Storm (Classic)
    Black Widow (Original)

In my opinion, the 2* Cap and Thor should also have been buffed. Anyways, these characters fit well in a lot of teams, especially when buffed. I expect to be using BWO a lot during this tournament. Magneto MN + Storm + Hood is a strong team, with four colors doing AP generation.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    POWERED UP
    Thor (modern)
    Captain America (Steve Rogers)
    Human Torch (Classic)
    Magneto (Marvel Now)
    Storm (Classic)
    Black Widow (Original)

In my opinion, the 2* Cap and Thor should also have been buffed.
    Remember when we were told to hold on to our 2* Caps and Thors because "there might be events where only the 2* version is usable"?
    Yeah... we've seen how this has worked out so far icon_e_wink.gif

Anyway, I'll be riding the Patch/CMags train all through the event to a top 20 finish, scaling be damned.
    With these two being usable enemy levels won't matter much, but I still don't intend to grind my PVE MMR up too much.
  • so far the event is a little boring. The only big incentive to do well is the torch at the end of progression but since the rewards in the subs look pretty bad I dont think the community will score that high.

playing it with the new scaling rules is a bit of a chore. my levels started at a decent level but I feel like I have to seriously damage my guys every match in order to prevent my scaling from going crazy.

It's a lot more fun to just let loose and feel like you are kicking butt instead of holding back
  • morgh
    morgh Posts: 539 Critical Contributor
    I still highly doubt that you get any advantage from doing the nodes early. If previous PvE events have taught us anything, its that you're wasting your time if you grind points anytime before the last two refreshes, so I'm not going to bother until then and just ride rubberbanding to victory.

TBH I am hoping that with those definitely new rubberbanding rules, it will no longer be AS effective (although I doubt it would lose all the effectiveness)

What I would really want more now, is lack of community scaling and just personal scaling...
    "so you are winning stuff in 30 seconds and with more end-HP then start-HP? all right - how about +15 levels"
    instead of
    "so you are scraping wins with claws of your last hero living at about 30% HP? all right - how about +15 levels because those missions are actually too easy for OTHER PEOPLE"
  • Infrared
    Infrared Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    davecazz wrote:
    playing it with the new scaling rules is a bit of a chore. my levels started at a decent level but I feel like I have to seriously damage my guys every match in order to prevent my scaling from going crazy.

It's a lot more fun to just let loose and feel like you are kicking butt instead of holding back

Agreed. However, I think I will try using some of my less levelled characters this time instead of my usual team. It might be interesting to explore new strategies I normally wouldn't try. When I inevitably take heavy damage or get wiped, I still benefit because it helps my scaling. Plus I don't even need to bother healing them. Just move on to different characters, or switch back to my A Team if nothing else works.
  • Infrared wrote:
    davecazz wrote:

Agreed. However, I think I will try using some of my less levelled characters this time instead of my usual team. It might be interesting to explore new strategies I normally wouldn't try. When I inevitably take heavy damage or get wiped, I still benefit because it helps my scaling. Plus I don't even need to bother healing them. Just move on to different characters, or switch back to my A Team if nothing else works.

yea maybe your right, it would be more fun to try lower tier characters and make it an even match. I'll try that
  • Infrared wrote:
    davecazz wrote:

Ive done this before and I think it worked quite well. Two smaller and one buffed, so you can let small ones die and you can still win with the big one, just saving one killer attack for last strike or something. And it was quite fun using the small ones that you normally wouldnt use.
  • davecazz wrote:

About this. Does anyone know precisely how the new scaling rules work? Specifically, what helps your personal scaling be the smallest (or even negative):

-Starting fights with low HP
    -Ending fights with low HP
    -Losing HP during the fights, regardless of how healthy you are to start

...or some combination? While we obviously don't have access to the algorithms, I'm hoping someone has insight on this based on experience/testing.

Thanks!
  • morgh
    I seriously think it's too early to tell...

I would however bet on:
    * losing as much HP as you can during a fight and going out with as much HP lost as possible + use a healthkit afterwards?
    * time spent playing a node (too fast = too easy)
  • There seem to be less node than last even. At least in Alaska. It's missing 3 node on the vent on the right side that go up to the mountain.
  • Does anyone know the max (or base) value of nodes? Mine seem to be weird point values (such as 443 for "The New Guy") & they haven't increased for hours.
  • morgh
    edited April 2014
    Levels are going up pretty fast with me having done just a single clear of each node like 2 hours ago...

Last of 'em went up from 49/49/49 to 51/52/51 in a matter of last 30 minutes.

Lawl and Let's Dance is now at 75/76/76 even though I distinctively remember that it was at ~40 just 3 hours ago... gee, aint that whole community scaling a pretty dumb idea...
  • I had taken Storm up from 60th to my Varsity (then like 79th; now 83rd) a few PVEs ago and wondering if that had been a bad decision. Considering pretty every match so far has been MNMags feeding Storm Blue for Wind Storm, I am no longer questioning that decision. 2345 AOE damage + stun, for the odd time someone survives.
  • After the difficulties I had with the Venom Heroics, it's very very VERY much fun to send in my three main characters (OBW, MagNow and CStorm) and - so far, anyway - not worry too much about the enemy timers because they bounce off my heroes like they're, well, HEROES.

I'm sure this will change with scaling.
  • Yeah, I'm pretty new to the game... well, been playing for a few months without really knowing what all goes on with the game and tactics, etc. So today I tried to just grind out everything including the essentials and now everything is worth 1 point. I was in 1st place... hooray... but now I'm in 26th place and all my nodes are worth 1... I must've messed up somewhere along the lines. Can someone explain so I don't screw up like this again? I'm currently helpless just looking at the event and I'm not gonna play the 1 point missions 300 times lol icon_e_confused.gif
  • Justdangit wrote:
    There seem to be less node than last even. At least in Alaska. It's missing 3 node on the vent on the right side that go up to the mountain.

Those 3 nodes got moved to the bottom of the screen and are no longer locked behind the regular missions.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I'm pretty new to the game... well, been playing for a few months without really knowing what all goes on with the game and tactics, etc. So today I tried to just grind out everything including the essentials and now everything is worth 1 point. I was in 1st place... hooray... but now I'm in 26th place and all my nodes are worth 1... I must've messed up somewhere along the lines. Can someone explain so I don't screw up like this again? I'm currently helpless just looking at the event and I'm not gonna play the 1 point missions 300 times lol icon_e_confused.gif

There's a great guide to PvE in the tips section of the forums so definitely check that out. I'll give you the quick answer to your question.

What you're experiencing is the fact that most PvE nodes have "stacks" usually 5 I think, but there have been events with smaller stacks. Each time you beat a node the points decrease (100%, 80%, 60%, etc.). So, after you beat that node 5 times it's only worth 1 point. Don't worry, stacks refresh every 8 or 12 hours depending on the event (most have been 12 lately, but you never know). You'll want to wait 12 (or 8) hours after the LAST time you beat it to maximize points since then it will have refreshed back to 100%.

Dig around the forums to find good strategies, but you probably don't want to grind stacks down too much and instead rely on rubberbanding and refreshes. Grinding will increase your personal scaling which means enemy levels will increase until you might find that later on in the event you can't beat them anymore.
  • mohio wrote:
    Yeah, I'm pretty new to the game... well, been playing for a few months without really knowing what all goes on with the game and tactics, etc. So today I tried to just grind out everything including the essentials and now everything is worth 1 point. I was in 1st place... hooray... but now I'm in 26th place and all my nodes are worth 1... I must've messed up somewhere along the lines. Can someone explain so I don't screw up like this again? I'm currently helpless just looking at the event and I'm not gonna play the 1 point missions 300 times lol icon_e_confused.gif

There's a great guide to PvE in the tips section of the forums so definitely check that out. I'll give you the quick answer to your question.

What you're experiencing is the fact that most PvE nodes have "stacks" usually 5 I think, but there have been events with smaller stacks. Each time you beat a node the points decrease (100%, 80%, 60%, etc.). So, after you beat that node 5 times it's only worth 1 point. Don't worry, stacks refresh every 8 or 12 hours depending on the event (most have been 12 lately, but you never know). You'll want to wait 12 (or 8) hours after the LAST time you beat it to maximize points since then it will have refreshed back to 100%.

Dig around the forums to find good strategies, but you probably don't want to grind stacks down too much and instead rely on rubberbanding and refreshes. Grinding will increase your personal scaling which means enemy levels will increase until you might find that later on in the event you can't beat them anymore.

I think it's stickyed in the tips section.
  • Thanks guys, I'll go check it out. I'm in the 50's now haha icon_razz.gif