MPQ at Marvel.com: Hawkeye Makes His Mark

Options

Comments

• Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    ZeiramMR wrote:
    Brigby: The chart in the Bonus Heroes initial post lists 3* characters in alphabetical order and 4* characters in the order of newest to oldest. With this new 3* being added to packs in a month, could you clarify with the devs which 3* would be removed? (If it is a 1 for 1, anyway) I think there is a tie for oldest of the current set of 20 (GSBW, Loki, IM40, right?)
    Good question! I'll find out for you, and update this post when I find any information.
  • tgibbs40
    tgibbs40 Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Brigby wrote:
    Hey Everyone,

Are you ready to put the bullseye on bad guys with two new versions of Hawkeye?

https://news.marvel.com/games/61043/pie ... t-hawkeye/

NO
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,603 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm actually cool with this. I like Hawkeye as a character, and he's only in the game as a 1* and 2* , the latter of which is only used because 2*s are essential.

He wouldn't have been at the top of my wish list (Hank Pym, a few of the handful of missing X-Men like Nightcrawler, Rogue, Gambit, Angel/Archangel, Kitty, a non red/purple/yellow web tile user to go with Miles/Gwen, some Spidey villains, Jessica Jones, a usable version of Peter Parker, etc), but I acknowledge that Hawkeye fans have to do without once they get any reasonable way into the game.

I kinda don't like that they keep doing 3*/5* copies, because part of it feels lazy. A 5* cash grab from the whales, a 3* to keep everyone else appeased enough to not quit (I don't count people sour enough to quit over free new content, honestly).

But let's look at it a little. 3*s and 5*s dual-released have never been 100% the same. Strange gains an active yellow ability, and his purple creates a cool looking countdown that continues to activate. Not big differences. Thanos gains a stun on his passive, and can lock the board with his purple. Poses are the same, even if the artwork is different.

But Hawkeye has different powers. Different COLORS. Some of the art is different. 3* has a power that appears on a 4*, but it's one of Kate's powers, which is actually some cool "sidekick synergy", of sorts, which isn't something you see in this game (I still think there should be a 1* Bucky that pairs well with 2* Cap for the early phase of the game). It's nice that Hawkeye can be used in late-game play as a 5*, but will also have a 3* version that will exist in a phase of the game where I can actually USE him. Looking forward to flagging him as a Bonus Hero.

If anything, it feels like they're getting better at making the 3*/5* pairs more distinct, and unique. Yes, we can grumble that it'll cost 2k HP, but I don't really think that's a big deal. If you can't afford it, you'll just have to be patient. Oh no, waiting to get free stuff, how horrible. But I'm glad that one of the MCU Avengers finally has a usable version 3* or better, AND has a 5* version so he'll be available in the late game.

The only thing I'm disappointed about with this is that we don't get a 3*/5* version of Speed Shot. Would have been a badass power to replicate at a higher level (more damage, more tiles, maybe even a faster countdown, fortified, lots of stuff could have made it pretty crazy at the 5* level, you know? seems like a missed opportunity).

(also, as a side note, I find it funny that they directly mention testing the character, as much complaining the forums normally do about them not testing new characters or content)
  • xidragonxi
    xidragonxi Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm a fan of this! I like Hawkeye and I like the kit on the 5* version. I'm planning on blowing my hoarded CP and tokens on him as soon as I can.

I think complaining about the 3*/5* release method is silly and pointless. Who is it hurting to have another 3*? Newer players get some fresh content that they can look forward to, and advanced players usually have enough resources that it doesn't matter. It's not hurting anyone. Clearly the development time for the dupe is minimal, so I don't see the argument that it's using resources better allocated elsewhere either.

Nice job on this one, devs. Now get rid of this vaulting 4*s nonsense. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,311 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Even though I am a 4* player, both Thanos and Strange have increased my enjoyment and efficiency in PVE. I have nothing against well designed, fun new 3*s and for a 4* player, maxing a 3* represents pennies and then you start collecting those tasty champion rewards like there's no tomorrow. Thumbs up.
  • Cthulhu
    Cthulhu ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 410 Site Admin
    Options
    Figure15 wrote:
    I know I shouldn't nitpick artistic license, but as an amateur archer I get the feeling he's holding the bow upside down. Also modern recurve with almost no shelf, arrow probably on the wrong side if you're not using a thumb draw.

At least the aiming eye is correct unlike kate.

We have to do things to make the bow look different from any actual bows to avoid copyright infringement, sorry!
  • Cthulhu
    Cthulhu ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 410 Site Admin
    Options
    We do have unique characters coming, this Hawkeye is a lot of fun with his full quiver ability and his red is pretty powerful.

New stuff is always becoming available, and we should have some fun new characters soon.
  • whycantwesyncpc
    whycantwesyncpc Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Cthulhu wrote:
    We do have unique characters coming, this Hawkeye is a lot of fun with his full quiver ability and his red is pretty powerful.

New stuff is always becoming available, and we should have some fun new characters soon.

Dupes of every character already in the game confirmed!
  • IamTheBiggs
    IamTheBiggs Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So we get a new Hawkeye and it's not Ronin?

I am disappoint.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I really don't like the artist they're using now. Very bland, and they don't do faces well at all.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,377 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Cthulhu wrote:
    Figure15 wrote:
    I know I shouldn't nitpick artistic license, but as an amateur archer I get the feeling he's holding the bow upside down. Also modern recurve with almost no shelf, arrow probably on the wrong side if you're not using a thumb draw.

At least the aiming eye is correct unlike kate.

We have to do things to make the bow look different from any actual bows to avoid copyright infringement, sorry!
    Wait, what? That's a thing?

On topic: not stoked about another 3+5 release, but whatever works I guess. They seem interesting enough, at least 5*.

Also:
    Marvel.com wrote:
    Marvel.com: Can I just say, with 5-Star Hawkeye’s passive I can’t wait to team him up with Kingpin or…Sentry? The AP gain would be insane! Who else would you suggest?
    (emphasis mine)
    icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    quelle surprise

I'm kinda fond of the this pattern of 3+5* co-releases, and pretty excited to have more Hawkeye in the game.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,311 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Cthulhu wrote:

Dude, his post was clearly meant to say that we'll get entirely new characters soon. There's no reason to be so negative that you actually twist other people's words to support your pessimistic narrative.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm personally very enthused about some 5* releases getting 3* counterparts. Namely, it could be years before I have playable 5* versions, whereas I can achieve playable 3* versions in a couple of months. Dr. Strange is one of the best 3* characters in the game, and while 3* Thanos is niche, he's exceedingly good in that niche.

In the case of Hawkeye, I was only willing to be excited for a 5* MCU version if it came with a 3* version. I don't know how I feel about the 3* move set yet, and as of now I'm a bit confused by the conflation of the Matt Fraction run of the character with All-New Hawkeye (I wish the Fraction / Aja version hadn't been wasted in the 2* tier), but he definitely needed representation in this tier. Now the only core Avenger missing a 3* counterpart is Ant-Man, I believe.
  • irwando
    irwando Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Cthulhu wrote:

That's not the point. The quality of the character is not the question. The question is, with all of the numerous requested characters, and the large number of characters you have yet to add to the game, why are we adding more duplicate characters?

Rogue, Kitty Pryde, Nightcrawler, Gambit, Cable, Archangel to name a few X-Men. Can't do them?
    Karnak, Gorgon, Crystal, Lockjaw - Some Inhumans that could be really fun.
    Wiccan, Nico Minoru, Hulkling for some younger, Avengers related characters.
    Coulson was cool, how about a Mockingbird character? Or maybe a Fitz/Simmons like Rocket & Groot?
    Red Skull? Kang? Apocalypse?

The new Hawkeye comics have been great, I'm a fan. But I'd rather see more characters I love then more copies of the same person.
  • whycantwesyncpc
    whycantwesyncpc Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Cthulhu wrote:

Dude, his post was clearly meant to say that we'll get entirely new characters soon. There's no reason to be so negative that you actually twist other people's words to support your pessimistic narrative.

It was meant as a joke...
  • Mr_Aziz
    Mr_Aziz Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    Options
    yay

another new character no one asked for, cluttering up the gutters
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I really don't like the artist they're using now. Very bland, and they don't do faces well at all.
    They can't all be Iceman.
  • Phallosaurus
    Phallosaurus Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'm stoked. Hawkeye is going to be a lot of fun paired with Coulson and Starlord. 3 AP arrows? Yes, please.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DayvBang wrote:
    They can't all be Iceman.

Is Rob Liefeld doing anything at the moment?