Please nerf Baral

Options

Comments

• Monkeynutts
    Monkeynutts Posts: 566 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Regardless of people loving it cos they have it most dont and it ruins people playing experience and ruins events for people.

Cos i had near max points in an event i had to play it out. i just saw Baral go off. opponent was on 4hp...i was on 102 with nahiri. Left my phone on the desk....came back six minutes later.... still going off.

SORT THIS CARD OUT
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Dear god, can we do something about Baral? Look, I don't even care if you nerf it. Just put something in the game so that nobody can be matched AGAINST Baral. It is SUPREMELY unfun to play again, just watching the AI loop and loop and loop. Particularly version with scatter to the winds, that wipe your mana every turn. It's oppressive, and is apparently everywhere. I just got matched against it 4 times in a row in Fate.

Again, I get it. People paid for it and it's fun for them. So just make it impossible to be matched AGAINST it. Then those people get to have their fun, and it doesn't ruin the fun for the rest of us.

Also... fix the packs and rewards please icon_e_smile.gif
  • Monkeynutts
    Options
    Juat change it gains 2 mana and not 3.....atops the combo instantly. as there is a lot less at 2 or less that can effectively combo......
    or when he enters draw 3 cards they gain 3 mana.....then thats it. no more gaining when u draw.

i honestly shouldn't have to tell u how to fix ur game....
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Agreed, Baral is badly in need of a nerf. Refund the $ of the players who bought him if necessary, regardless he's completely broken. Would have thought the dev/QA would have learned from Seasons Past and other past looping issues.

Just played a match where the AI cast 25 cards on turn 2. Not an unusual experience that sums up how broken he is.
  • buscemi
    buscemi Posts: 673 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Wow, Baral is making a right mess of FIRF.

I had a bit of a problem with EmO, dropped 4 points with Saheeli in the blue node, not as straighforward as you'd think to do looping craziness, and Energize 5, AND win in 5 turns. I reckon I'll take Dovin in there next time.

FIRF, tho, easy peasy. Kiora in green, Saheeli in red, throw in Sphinx's Tutelage and the cheapest vehicle you can find, and loop away to your heart's content. Amusingly there's no point playing Baral in the blue node cos it's a <=2 spells objective.

Seriously, y'all should have bought him, he wins me a ton of games, and he's usually the only mythic in my deck (although I do use Noyan Dar for RatC... 400 life is a lot to get through).
  • Monkeynutts
    Options
    When experienced players are saying "hes the only mythic i use" then there's a problem...
  • ridfrenzy
    ridfrenzy Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I can't wait for the outcry and people quitting when they do nerf him icon_e_biggrin.gif I bought him as well but realise he needs to be fixed as do most of the people who currently own him but are in denial icon_razz.gif
  • Monkeynutts
    Options
    I own him and I know he is a joke!
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    its time for a colorless, hexproof scab clan beserker chick

or a support that does something similar

better than nerfing.....
  • Lagartha
    Lagartha Posts: 186 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I guess I'm missing the part where this is supposed to be fun.

http://imgur.com/a/bl8xt

I never thought I'd say this.. but I'd trade this for pre-nerf Runaway Carriage in a heart beat. At least he didn't waste nearly so much of our time.
  • BLKDarkness7
    BLKDarkness7 Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    Options
    AngelForge wrote:
    When you play Saheeli and if you are lucky you can win in the turn Baral is played, if you combine Coastal Discovery with Devour in Flames (these are cards that I own, better combos may be available) and enough other spells to circle through your deck. ^^
    But together with Harness of the Storm it should be doable?

Until you get a handful of Baral/ higher mana cost cards and then the loop stops. Then, if you weren't running negate or sphinx lock (there's a 6 mana Baral loop clog), then your opponent has all that mana you have it from Devour...
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Lagartha wrote:
    I guess I'm missing the part where this is supposed to be fun.

http://imgur.com/a/bl8xt

I never thought I'd say this.. but I'd trade this for pre-nerf Runaway Carriage in a heart beat. At least he didn't waste nearly so much of our time.

I lost to the same deck. Funny thing is you already know it's coming when you see the first 3 cost spell cast. Then basically your only hope is that the AI does something stupid.

I find it amusing that players are still using Baral cycle decks. I mean, I got bored of him already. I have him in my Saheeli deck but he's just there as smokescreen along with Islands and Devil's Playground to keep the AI busy until I can hit ultimate and go BOOM-SHIP (it's quite entertaining). If the AI were to pilot my deck I'd imagine even a level 1 planeswalker could beat it.

Then again, I never build decks to grief players. Maybe I'm not "competitive" enough.
  • buscemi
    edited March 2017
    Options
    AngelForge wrote:
    When you play Saheeli and if you are lucky you can win in the turn Baral is played, if you combine Coastal Discovery with Devour in Flames (these are cards that I own, better combos may be available) and enough other spells to circle through your deck. ^^
    But together with Harness of the Storm it should be doable?

Until you get a handful of Baral/ higher mana cost cards and then the loop stops. Then, if you weren't running negate or sphinx lock (there's a 6 mana Baral loop clog), then your opponent has all that mana you have it from Devour...

Wait, are you taking about a human player? You think a human Baral player can't cope with that?

Sphinx's Tutelage will EASILY eat up all the mana the AI gained from Devour, even before we throw Scatter to the Winds and Negate into the mix. He still managed to play some spells? Then, whatever he played better go lethal right away, because otherwise the human can exile all the non spell in their hand and and start looping again. Has Baral, or another non-spell been destroyed? A mere speed bump. The human has just drawn multiple copies to replace them.

Personally, I'm only playing tutelage in this event to give me time to cast 5 vehicles, and I'm only playing Devour to reduce my own life total to 20. If I didn't have these constraints I'd be kicking the AIs **** much faster.

If you haven't got Baral, then you're underestimating him. If you have and he hasnt vastly improved your performance, then by all means get in touch with me and I'll give you a hand building decks which can kick anybody's **** any time all the time, although generally I'm quite happy to post all of my advice about him in this thread. If you have got Baral, and he has vastly increase your performance.... well then.

[Edit] ****? The swearing filter doesn't allow ****? That seems extreme.
  • Lagartha
    Lagartha Posts: 186 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Steeme wrote:
    Then again, I never build decks to grief players. Maybe I'm not "competitive" enough.
    That's exactly what gets me! There are so many people complaining about so many things that are wrong with this game and I never see it mentioned that the players themselves are such a big part of the problem.

What's the point of even building a troll deck like that other than to actively TRY to make this game more miserable for other players? He isn't even playing the game anymore. It's not like this deck is set up to win a single ribbon. It's there to piss people off and for absolutely no other reason.
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've'an idea!

What about making sure his power doesn't'kick in when coming into play? meaning you have to wait a turn before you can start spewing spells
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Just modify draw card on casting spell to fetch card on casting. Still powerful, and in line with Rashmi
  • Delnai
    Delnai Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Yes, please nerf Baral. I have nothing to add to this discussion other than that. The card is stupid. It's very difficult to counter since it is cheap enough to come out turn 1 with only moderate luck, at which point it cycles through the deck until another is in hand, ready to repeat turn 2. It is annoying to play against. And it's not even terribly interesting: The effect is unique, which is good. But near-optimal essentially mono-blue Baral builds exist, which make it uninteresting to build with to a top-tier player who is trying to help his/her coalition and snag top rewards.
  • buscemi
    Options
    Baral watch: Nodes of Power edition

As expected, Baral is performing very strongly in the red, which I've always struggled with before. Mirrorpool+Deploy doesnt win consistently on turn 5 for me, and neither does Nahiri Zoo, lacking as I am some key Mythics like GRB, or Lightning Runner. Baral didn't drop a point, even tho Ajani, in one match, killed my Niblis and Disabled my Baral on turn 4. Just one other mythic in that deck, Harness the Storm. Some people I know are running as many as 8 mythics on that node. Anyone got a non-Baral deck that can perfect it in an event with just 2?

White was even more impressive, frankly, with Baral being the only Mythic in my Dovin Baan deck. He doesn't half combo well with Sphinx's Tutelage, doesn't he? Again, didn't drop a point.

I didn't play him in green, relying instead on my existing 6 mythic Kiora deck, or white (Dynavolt Tower), and of course you can't play him in black yet. We're all looking forward to the fun we can have there running him with Transgress the Mind and Whispers of Emrakul. Personally I think the reason they haven't given us a UB planeswalker yet is because of the ways that the utterly broken cards in those colors combine into even more utterly broken plays.

Fun fact: 'Baral' is an anagram of 'Unbalanced'.
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Three losses to Kiora Baral this event. I know I'm playing against Baral, so I hold full-mana kill spells in last slot in hand. Comp plays Baral, loops a lot, plays aether reservoir, loops until I die (enraged, deals 4 per spell). Never have a chance to interact.

Pretty cool I guess, really enjoy that.

Fix Baral.
  • jimilinho_
    jimilinho_ Posts: 292
    Options
    Another day, another **** of Baral matches that I have to deal with.

It's just so much fun waiting 5 minutes for an AI loop to finish.

SORT SOMETHING OUT, THIS HAS BECOME A TINYKITTY JOKE!!