Please nerf Baral

Options
167891012»

Comments

• MisterPete
    MisterPete Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Even just having him give 2 mana instead of 3 to spells would make it tougher to loop. Although whatever the change is it should be tested with the HtS combo. The idea of having him fetch instead of draw would also put an end to that easy looping. And whatever the nerf is I think it would be good if it gives the opponent a chance to react. As it is now a long loop can mean you lose in one turn from full health without a chance to respond, particularly if they have haunted cloak. I'm going to miss the Baral shenanigans but I recognize it's an issue that needs fixing.

I understand the hesitation in giving information on the nerf before the patch since it's unlikely everyone will agree on it. But I still think it's a mistake. People are already upset about recent changes and this would have been an opportunity to garner feedback and make the community feel heard. Not to mention potentially avoiding yet another issue if the nerf proves way over/under aggressive. Baral should still be very powerful but not a one turn kill.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    MisterPete wrote:
    A simple nerf would be to just having him give 2 mana instead of 3 to spells, that would make it tougher to loop. Or just have him draw a non-spell card. Whatever the nerf is I think it would be good if it gives the opponent a chance to react. As it is now a long loop can mean you lose in one turn from full health without a chance to respond, particularly if they have haunted cloak. I'm going to miss the Baral shenanigans but it is a problem that needs fixing.

I understand the hesitation in giving information on the nerf before the patch since it's unlikely everyone will agree on it. But I still think it's a mistake. People are already upset about recent changes and this would have been an opportunity to garner feedback and make the community feel heard. Not to mention potentially avoiding yet another issue if the nerf proves way over/under aggressive. Baral should still be very powerful but not a one turn kill.
    We definitely agree that Baral needs a slight adjustment, and we plan on implementing that change in the upcoming patch.

(Disclaimer: Until the official Release Notes are unveiled, the following information may be subject to change.)
    Having said that though, the last time I spoke with the development team, they were looking into changing Baral's spell mana-gain to the beginning of the turn, as opposed to when the spell is drawn.
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Brigby wrote:
    MisterPete wrote:
    A simple nerf would be to just having him give 2 mana instead of 3 to spells, that would make it tougher to loop. Or just have him draw a non-spell card. Whatever the nerf is I think it would be good if it gives the opponent a chance to react. As it is now a long loop can mean you lose in one turn from full health without a chance to respond, particularly if they have haunted cloak. I'm going to miss the Baral shenanigans but it is a problem that needs fixing.

We definitely agree that Baral needs a slight adjustment, and we plan on implementing that change in the upcoming patch.

(Disclaimer: Until the official Release Notes are unveiled, the following information may be subject to change.)
    Having said that though, the last time I spoke with the development team, they were looking into changing Baral's spell mana-gain to the beginning of the turn, as opposed to when the spell is drawn.

Completely fine with me. Stops the AI looping incessantly and gives an opportunity for interaction. Hell, have it give MORE mana to offset having to wait till the beginning of turn. Every spell gets 5 mana. or go crazy and give SEVEN mana. That'd feel mythic.
  • toastie
    toastie Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Brigby wrote:

Eh, probably will ask for a refund if that ends up being the change considering how much it affects the power of the card.
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby wrote:
    MisterPete wrote:

The proposed nerf will change him from a $30 price tag really solid mythic, to a totally niche borderline unplayable card. Please explain to me why I should not be given a refund when you sold me the card about a month ago and then destroyed its power. He needs a big buff to make him payable if that's the proposed nerf. Honesty, anyone use Baral in a non-loop deck?
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby wrote:
    MisterPete wrote:

This is actually not a bad change. Yeah, he doesn't loop infinitely anymore, but I'm fine with that. Consider the options this opens up. You play Baral and get (assuming no change) 3 mana for every spell in hand, then beginning of your turn, they all get another 3 mana. Think of all the spells you can now cast for free the turn after casting him. Exquisite Firecraft comes to mind immediately, but practically every burn spell is in range at that point along with a lot of other really good spells. Also I can see this making awaken spells actually achievable to play.
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    Options
    although no owner has said it, I think part of it is down
    to the fact that baral makes certain objectives
    possible in events and hence allowing owners of him
    to win event exclusive cards eg mechanised production.
    that is what owners are losing out on with the nerf.
    even if it results in a plenty powerful card. owners want
    a refund for all the future wins that they will no longer
    have an edge to get. this is partly down to event design.
    if they had a win in 5 minutes instead of 5 rounds then
    few would be using baral for that node.

HH
  • J23flo
    J23flo Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'm curious if people saber rattling about getting a refund if they change their precious Baral, are also willing to have the card deleted from their accounts as part of the refund process? My guess is probably not. The impression I get from reading through the responses on this forum is that they think they deserve a free card because a change is clearly necessary for the overall health of the game. Those who don't think a change is necessary haven't sat through a 99 card spell loop (and yes that happened).

On a side note, the only change I would make to Baral is an increase to his cost. The 16-20 range seems reasonable considering what happens when he hits the playing field.