*** Magneto (Classic) ***

Options

Comments

• Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Options
    Well... the changes are live, and losing a purple on the roster sucks just as much as we predicted. THANKS DEV'S GREAT PATCH
  • Unknown
    edited September 2014
    Options
    qtquazar wrote:
    Sorry, in case there was any confusion on that post: he sucks now.

10 blue to do damage limited swaps. Likely average at max will be circa 2500 damage.
    9 yellow to do circa ~450 in defense. At 9 yellow, both Sentry and BP outstrip this in attack. What would you rather have in PvP: 450 defense, or 450 damage? Hint: this question is rhetorical.
    8 red to smash up a bunch of TUs and not get the AP for them. Cascade possibilities, perhaps, but why pick a conditional when there are direct damage reds aplenty?

If there's any redemption for CMags at all now, it's going to be on the red, but I'm just not seeing it. sample matches so far with him have been bad.

This moves pretty much everyone onto the Sentry path now, and Deadpool and Fury become the fills on red and purple. What a surprise. Cashgrab.

Why they ever decided to alter the his purple power in any way shape or form will always be a mystery to me...

That's a great pic though. icon_lol.gif
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out how to build him. I think one all but has to go 5 in blue, it's just too strong not to. But that leaves you with the dilemma of going 5 red or yellow since 4 is just bad all the way around. If you go 5/3/5 over 3/5/5 you give up a lot of damage for 1 extra protect tile, higher strength on those tiles as well as able to overwrite CD tiles. If I'm running Thor I'd rather have him 3/5/5 since I prefer Thunderstrike, but paired with Patch 5/3/5 seems stronger, but now with X-Force would 3/5/5 be better. Grrr. Thoughts?
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think our magneto is also barefoot, we wish he had boots
  • john1620b
    Options
    (I realize we've already had this discussion Phaserhawk, but I thought I'd repost my opinion from the "Upcoming Changes" topic, for others that aren't checking that one.)

Am I the only one that thinks 3/5/5 is the new best build? Reasons:

1. Going from 3 -> 5 in yellow only gets you one additional shield tile, so it's not going to overwrite a bunch more tiles.

2. Protect tiles in general are pretty useless, so the additional protection is not at all as valuable as the damage increase for red and blue.

3. Overwriting countdowns is nice, but honestly: how often are you going to do that? In goon battles it might be useful, except that his protect tiles are placed randomly. So it may not even work. For those that want to use it explicitly as a Sentry counter: World Rupture isn't that damaging without strike tiles, and if I use Magneto's yellow ability, I'd rather overwrite those strike tiles than the countdown ones. If you leave his ability at 3 yellow covers, you have a good chance of doing so since the board will mostly be countdown tiles, your special tiles, or TU tiles.

Yellow is by far his weakest power in my estimation, and it seems like a hefty trade-off to limit his red or blue for a slight increase in protection and maybe overwrite a countdown tile you want.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I wish they had nerfed Mags instead of creating a new Character. I am totally out of options without him, all the new good combos require heroes I don't have. I can't earn them because I can't earn top spots anymore. History has taught us not to spend money to level up the new combo too because it will get nerfed and you will be offered some iso - 1300HP and a kick in the nuts for it. (Like Spiderman, Rags, even wolvie yellow and original thor when i was just starting)

Very frustrating , probably not worth keep playing
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    I'm trying to figure out how to build him. I think one all but has to go 5 in blue, it's just too strong not to. But that leaves you with the dilemma of going 5 red or yellow since 4 is just bad all the way around. If you go 5/3/5 over 3/5/5 you give up a lot of damage for 1 extra protect tile, higher strength on those tiles as well as able to overwrite CD tiles. If I'm running Thor I'd rather have him 3/5/5 since I prefer Thunderstrike, but paired with Patch 5/3/5 seems stronger, but now with X-Force would 3/5/5 be better. Grrr. Thoughts?

Like you, I think that going 5 in blue makes it pretty dang good and 3 in blue makes it just about worthless, so 5 in blue is a must. For the red... let's face it, 90% of what I want when I use that ability is crushing TU tiles, which I get at all levels. Even if you get 14 tiles, that's what, 1400 extra damage going from 3 to 5 covers? I wouldn't say no to that, but it doesn't really motivate me to invest in the covers THAT much. Meanwhile, a Primary Color match-3 does 237, and it doesn't take much to put that over 272, which is what you get in protect strength at 3 in Yellow, whereas 5 in yellow puts you firmly in "I don't take match or attack damage" territory. Seems to me like getting 200 more defense, spread out over more tiles, is better than the extra damage in red, at least at this point.
  • Yeah, he got neutered. I'll accept my refund in cash, check, or souls.
  • welcome to die
  • My C.Mags has always been terrible and I do not fear the Hulk. He's pretty easy to kill actually.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I am become death, the destroyer of worlds because you destroyed my world D3.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I honestly see value in both 3/5/5 and 5/3/5. But as is he has no place in PVP except as a possible deterrent team for under 900 PVP scores. So as a PvE character what's the best route? Do you try and slow damage and save health packs with 5/3/5 or do you max damage?
  • Good night, sweet prince. Just yesterday we placed those blue protection tiles together and magnetically translocated Hulk's **** to oblivion. Alas, no more. Now go and join Spidey and Rags, they have their little support group for nerfed characters. icon_arrow.gif
  • Lerysh wrote:
    My C.Mags has always been terrible and I do not fear the Hulk. He's pretty easy to kill actually.
    CMags made Hulk easy, but I agree there are a lot of other ways to deal with him. The key thing is avoiding his Anger. So bring Hulk to the front when you are just doing matching early and wear him down some without triggering Anger ... then move him to the back until you are ready to kill him. Combined that with Spidey's stun or Captain Marvel's black and you can get in some attacks without triggering Anger ... and always try to limit the amount of free green on the board when you do attack him.
  • I'm not seeing much value in blue. It's a 4 match move (10) and it doesn't hit hard enough to make racing the color meaningful. That is if you get all the blue and they get all of red/green/yellow they'd still comfortably outdamage you. Leaving blue uncontested is generally much safer than letting red uncontested so you're far more likely to have the red available. Note that since green/yellow are stronger colors in general this already gives you 3 colors (red/yellow/red) so it shouldn't be too hard to have one of those 3 colors in most cases and they're all higher priority than blue in general.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Lystrata wrote:
    rednailz wrote:
    Yup, in general CMAGS was the only viable sollution for hulk without needing 3 health packs after. Now I see nothing unless you save up 90 AP with cap to use his stun then shield, and then do it again if you get the return AP.

Well that's just absurd. Do you think everyone who didn't have pre-altered CMags was just laying down their lives constantly to the Hulk? 'Course not. We have devised many ingenious other methods. Well, maybe not many. But I can assure you that there are other ways of dealing with him. Hell, in the Hulk event I took down hulk from 9k with Spidey just constantly freezing him. He never even wakes up. 2* Storm is equally effective. Or just leave him in the back until others have built up attacks.

People seem to get into 'favourite' teams and never manage to deviate from that, so flip out when there's a change or two. But CMags was/is absolutely not the only way to get by the Hulk.
    2* storm is good, but I have no idea how you were able to maintain a stunlock on him. Even if you ignore the ramp up costs, you need to average a blue match every other turn
  • Did a few test matches with new cmags. He sucks. I couldn't use him in any useful way/ there are just so many better skills for his colors.

I asked myself, if I had to build cmags up from scratch would I put Iso into him? The answer was no so I sold him.

I went from winning every battle to losing 90% of them. I hope eventually the matchmaking system puts me in a different group, because I can't compete anymore.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    Lystrata wrote:
    rednailz wrote:
    Yup, in general CMAGS was the only viable sollution for hulk without needing 3 health packs after. Now I see nothing unless you save up 90 AP with cap to use his stun then shield, and then do it again if you get the return AP.

Well that's just absurd. Do you think everyone who didn't have pre-altered CMags was just laying down their lives constantly to the Hulk? 'Course not. We have devised many ingenious other methods. Well, maybe not many. But I can assure you that there are other ways of dealing with him. Hell, in the Hulk event I took down hulk from 9k with Spidey just constantly freezing him. He never even wakes up. 2* Storm is equally effective. Or just leave him in the back until others have built up attacks.

People seem to get into 'favourite' teams and never manage to deviate from that, so flip out when there's a change or two. But CMags was/is absolutely not the only way to get by the Hulk.
    2* storm is good, but I have no idea how you were able to maintain a stunlock on him. Even if you ignore the ramp up costs, you need to average a blue match every other turn
    15 blue can get you 6 turn stun from 5 in blue. Gets even easier with cascades and/or blue generators. Stun locking with Spidey is very possible today.

On the topic of Hulk, if you don't use Strike Tile generators, he's very easy to handle because Anger never triggers. Build the AP and just destroy him when you can. He never needed Mags to be dealt with, you need Mags to deal with Patch from killing your own team facing Hulk. Anger was never the problem.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    Lystrata wrote:
    rednailz wrote:

15 blue can get you 6 turn stun from 5 in blue. Gets even easier with cascades and/or blue generators. Stun locking with Spidey is very possible today.

On the topic of Hulk, if you don't use Strike Tile generators, he's very easy to handle because Anger never triggers. Build the AP and just destroy him when you can. He never needed Mags to be dealt with, you need Mags to deal with Patch from killing your own team facing Hulk. Anger was never the problem.
    So 15 blue over 6 turns? In other words, 5 blue matches over 6 turns? Even with Mn mags converting purple to blue (actually a pretty good synergy), you're going to very rapidly deplete the available blue like that.

Which is beside the point anyway. If you don't have so many strikes on the board that just tickling him with a off-color match 3 triggers anger, it's not a big deal anyway. A single anger isn't going to be the end of the word, even a couple at a time should probably be manageable as long as he'd throw it away on a thunderous clap once you've eliminated the other teams actually useful green powers.
  • The only strike tile generator that may have problem with Hulk is Daken, but since Daken came way after Magneto, if you got Daken you probably have Magneto too, or at least someone else who can handle Hulk. If you don't run strike tile generators you don't even have to worry about Anger unless you accidentally made a match 5 but that's not exactly a bad problem to have.