*** Magneto (Classic) ***

Options

Comments

• over_clocked
    Options
    Infrared wrote:
    Falcon and C.Mags seem like they would work nicely together. You get two powers that create tons of protect tiles, with inspiration boosting both while collecting yellow AP for more coercive fields. Toss in Spidey or Bullseye for the ultimate troll team.
    People don't usually like to die from boredom while playing... icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Infrared wrote:
    Falcon and C.Mags seem like they would work nicely together. You get two powers that create tons of protect tiles, with inspiration boosting both while collecting yellow AP for more coercive fields. Toss in Spidey or Bullseye for the ultimate troll team.

Falcon doesn't synergize that well with characters who make their attack/shield tile from yellow because they basically clear all the yellow from the board just to get out their specials and by that time most fights could be half over.
  • Well, we can play taps for A-List Magneto now. On the other hand, let's welcome our new C-List Magneto. At least we're getting X-Force moving from the D-list to the A-List.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Well, we can play taps for A-List Magneto now. On the other hand, let's welcome our new C-List Magneto. At least we're getting X-Force moving from the D-list to the A-List.

did they fix his new blue? I'm guessing not, as now he does less damage even at 7 swaps then before, because they only updated him on the 141 stats not the 166, lol what a joke.
  • [quote="Phaserhawk"did they fix his new blue? I'm guessing not, as now he does less damage even at 7 swaps then before, because they only updated him on the 141 stats not the 166, lol what a joke.[/quote]

Still swaps red and blue, still does 646 damage per swap. May be time to respec from 5/3/5 to 5/5/3.
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    This isn't a full complaint, I'm not going to say anything about color changes, abilties except for Magnetic Translocation to Magnetized Projectile and the horrible change that this is.

as is we have

Old
    Magnetic Translocation - Purple 10 AP
    Exploiting metals buried in the earth, Magneto lifts and moves huge sections of the battlefield, dropping them violently. Swaps up to 5 random Blue tiles with Red tiles. Does 38 damage for each swap.
    Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Swaps up to 6 tiles.
    Level 3: Swaps up to 7 tiles. Max damage 457 per swap.
    Level 4: Swaps up to 9 tiles. Max damage 546 per swap.
    Level 5: Swaps up to 13 tiles. Max damage 636 per swap.New

Magnetized Projectiles - Blue 10 AP
    Magneto turns metallic objects into deadly projectiles, causing devastation and chaos. Swaps up to 5 random Blue tiles with Red tiles. Does 93 damage for each swap.
    Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Does 126 damage for each swap.
    Level 3: Swaps up to 6 tiles.
    Level 4: Does 169 damage for each swap.
    Level 5: Swaps up to 7 random tiles and does 224 damage for each swap.
    Max Level: 713 damage per swap. Max damage of 4991.

First and foremost the damage you have for MT is completely wrong, those are his 141 stats, what they are now are

Old
    Magnetic Translocation - Purple 10 AP
    Exploiting metals buried in the earth, Magneto lifts and moves huge sections of the battlefield, dropping them violently. Swaps up to 5 random Blue tiles with Red tiles. Does 38 damage for each swap.
    Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Swaps up to 6 tiles.
    Level 3: Swaps up to 7 tiles. Max damage 536 per swap.
    Level 4: Swaps up to 9 tiles. Max damage 640 per swap.
    Level 5: Swaps up to 13 tiles. Max damage 745 per swap.

So assuming 7 swaps for all levels old Mags did 3752 at lvl 3, 4480 at lvl 4, and 5215 at level 5

right now he will do 401 per swap at lvl 3, 537 at lvl 4, and 713 at lvl 5
    or 2807, 3759, 4991 that's a straight up damage nerf, when the old lvl 4 skill does almost as much damage as the new level 5 there is a problem.

to quote IceIX

"Magnetic Translocation worked pretty well on its own but scaled just a bit too high. And worse than that, 13 tiles swaps almost never happened so that power generally never got worked out. So while we were looking at the rest of the abilities, we figured we may as well give this one a once over.

First off, we flipped this ability to Blue from Purple as Blue makes more sense for a board ability, and it keeps with Magneto's color strengths. Then we reworked the damage scaling so that it does more damage out the outset and tops off a little lower than the mass destruction it could cause before. It still does a quite hefty chunk of damage at 4991 for 7 swaps, which it'll do in most cases with an average board."

As it stands none of this is true!!!! The damage does not do more damage on the outset, it does less because you upgraded all of this off of his lvl 141 stats and not the new 166 stats, you absolutely gutted his damage.

To a point this could be tolerated except you further ensured less damage when you unintentionally or intentionally did not switch the colors of tiles swapped. Purple use to swap blue/red logic dictats that blue will now switch yellow/red, but it doesn't, so now not only does the skill do less damage than before, it has a much higher potential of doing less swaps because you have to match one of the colors to get the skill active, to swap the same color. Please Please, Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do this

Magnetized Projectiles - Blue 10 AP
    Magneto turns metallic objects into deadly projectiles, causing devastation and chaos. Swaps up to 5 random Yellow tiles with Red tiles. Does 104 damage for each swap.
    Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Does 141 damage for each swap.
    Level 3: Swaps up to 6 tiles.
    Level 4: Does 189 damage for each swap.
    Level 5: Swaps up to 7 random tiles and does 250 damage for each swap.
    Max Level: 798 damage per swap. Max damage of 5586.

This is a 12% increase off of the lvl 166 stats, and is what the increase is from 141 C.Mags lvl 5 purple to new lvl 5 c.mags blue. Do this, you must do this, you need to do this. We can all live with the other changes, but to do this to his main skill was just wrong.
  • This is correct - looks like they redid cmag way back when 141 was max and just rolled it out now - OR they just used old data accidentally.

Either way it would be nice to fix this numbers error early on rather than waiting to double check with first second and third parties for such a change icon_razz.gif
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I hope they can read you an act acordingly (upgrading the damage to the levels you stated).
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Red is single-target. Hits pretty hard.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is already in the Magneto update thread. If I was still a mod, I'd lock this thread and point there.
  • So are we favouring 5/5/3 now. The yellow seems useful at 5 (anti-sentry cd tiles) and his red now looks like it does more damage or has better potential for damage than the blue (old purple)
  • also, wasnt this patch supposed to go through as one...so everyone was on the same playing field? I'm seeing those not on ios already have the new mags.
  • scottee
    Options
    The new blue is usually going to do more damage per AP than the new red. The only extra variable is red easily causes cascades, but that probably doesn't make up the damage difference. The other thing to consider is that red still has the same utility (destroying all TU's) no matter the level. So I could see 5/3/5.

Though my CMag is currently 4/5/2, so it doesn't really matter to me.
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    A big positive of this change is that Patch is still a viable pairing. A maxed C.Mags yellow and red allows good damage and Patch can tank yellow and red for C.Mags which is very nice.
  • Mines already 5/3/5 but I have a red waiting. I'm just not convinced on the blue. His old purple was devastating...the new blue is now capped and needs 7 blue/reds on board to swap which was always an issue when firing off magnetic translocation anyway. True, you will no longer match 4/5 blue constantly but you're still chasing blue to fire it off and you're also after red... so you'd imagine the blue/red on the board will often be limited? I guess you now have a similar issue with red damage related to the amount of tu tiles being on the board but you certainly aren't going to go chasing these yourself (although the ai loves them!) Also, removing tu definitely isn't a bad thing. Plus there is cascade potential.
  • Yup...which brings his buddy Patch back into the fold! The yellow also helps negate the purple strike tiles of BR against you. Before you'd use his blue to match them off. Now his yellow can over write them or at least soften the damage. Does anyone see a viable reason to keep his new blue over his new red or yellow? I'm definitely favouring 5/5/3 with idea of still running him with patch (and even falcon in sim or pve?). I'd go for the yellow 5 as an anti sentry feature over the now weakened blue nuke at 5 covers. I think red at 5 offers better damage paired with strike tiles and cascades too.
  • scottee
    Options
    AlexBatman wrote:
    Mines already 5/3/5 but I have a red waiting. I'm just not convinced on the blue. His old purple was devastating...the new blue is now capped and needs 7 blue/reds on board to swap which was always an issue when firing off magnetic translocation anyway. True, you will no longer match 4/5 blue constantly but you're still chasing blue to fire it off and you're also after red... so you'd imagine the blue/red on the board will often be limited? I guess you now have a similar issue with red damage related to the amount of tu tiles being on the board but you certainly aren't going to go chasing these yourself (although the ai loves them!) Also, removing tu definitely isn't a bad thing. Plus there is cascade potential.

Yeah, I think 5/3/5/ vs 5/5/3 will depend on play style. If you actually use TU tiles often, then 5/3/5, as you won't want to use red. If you hate TU's and never use them, then 5/5/3.

Both abilities are potentially limited. If you or the AI are matching TU, red is going to do paltry damage. With the new blue, it's a lot easier to wait until there are 7 red/blue on the board to fire it than to wait for 15 TU to be on the board (the amount needed to equal a max damage blue attack per AP).
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Patch + Magneto, pals until the bitter end it seems. Got that Red and Yellow covered like a pro.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    After using his new abilities in several matches, I'm liking him.

Polarizing Force removing all the Team-up icons is a great board clearer, and works great with Hood and XForce.
    Magnetized Projectiles still packs a decent punch.

He won't be saving my teams with an endless turn any more, but I like him.
  • Phaserhawk
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Well here is a Dmg only comparison of 5/3/5 vs. 5/5/3

Let's always assume you have 10 TU's out and there is always a possibility of 7 swaps

5/5/3 does 1040 more damage with red

5/3/5 does 2585 more damage with blue

Assuming you could cast all at once and that 10 TU tiles are out and 7 blue/red swaps are available thats a dispairity of 1545 damage in favor of a 5/3/5 build. Since both builds would trigger the same cascades and strike tile triggers, that damage is negligable.

Again, assuming that perfect board scenario a 5/3/5 build would allow you to only only need 5 blue/red swaps and that would still roughly equal the same amount of damage as if a 5/5/3 had the 10 TU 6 red/blue swap.

A 5/5/3 would have to have 16 TU tiles out and 6 swaps to do roughly the same damage as a 10 TU 7 blue/red swap for 5/3/5.

So therein lies the answer I beleive. If you feel that with the new style of Magneto, that when you are ready to activate blue you think there will be 5 or less swaps and usually 12 or more TU's then go 5/5/3, if you think that there will usually be 5-7 swaps and that TU's will be generally less than 12, then go 5/3/5

5/4/4 offers that middle ground it barely does more damage than 5/5/3 to the point that 5/5/3 is probably better and it doesn't compete with 5/3/5.