*** Magneto (Classic) ***

Comments

• Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    MikeHock wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Minus the color switch he's the same character. The old purple now blue is the same. Red is essentially the same, but instead of blowing up 5 random tiles he only blows up TU tiles. Since this skill isn't spammable it won't matter that you couldn't cast it again right away. As for old blue now yellow, this is doing what was originally intended, to create a defensive tile that could overwrite anything, well guess what it's a defensive tile that can overwrite anything if maxed, the only issue is the randomness, but, if you added a few more tiles and tweaked the protect down a bit it could be more reliable, so this is the same character as he was originally intended. Defensive tile creation--check. Board shake up and dmg...check, targeted nuke...check. He is exactly the same, he just doesn't have the spammable infinte turns.

Absolutely not the same.

The IDEA behind his old and new powers might be the same or similar, but the actual abilities and how they are used are obviously different.

Well no $&it Sherlock, of course how they are used is gone, but how is abilties were being used were never what was intended. C.Mags came out when the game was vastly different.

Blue was always suppose to be a defensive spell, to overwrite enemy tiles and create cheap defense, but how they allowed the player to do it was BAHH--ROW--KENNNN. As one sees with Captain America, the ability to overwrite any tile will cost you 11 or more AP and Mags was doing it with 5 so they did this. They did random so they could keep the cost low, blue was always going to be a tough fix, sure they could have made it cost 11 or 12 and left it the same but then you just have Captain America.

Red is essentially the same except for cost and 5 random to all TU tiles. This again was more or less what the skill was suppose to do, they didn't understand the true power of strike tiles back then and especially with Patch and Daken the abuse of it was rampant, so they stopped the spam. In time I think this skill is going to be more valuable as they adjust TU tiles and have hinted that using TU tiles may get you colored AP, like boosts currently do, if this happens it would be a massive denial spell and board shake up.

Purple was awesome, it was fair it was great and it hasn't changed other than the color of the skill, which does suck. That is what I am most disappointed in as are most, because even if they completely gutted his other two skills and tightended the dmg for purple, as long as it stayed purple you would have seen C.Mags being played, now I'm not sure. Doing the math off of what is listed here on page 1, this skill in it's newer form will do more dmg at 7 swaps than before, will do slightly less at 8 swaps, and after 9 or more the other was better. However, the numbers listed under old are for the 144 version of the character and not the 166 version so if the new numbers on the newere version are correct then this got a big dmg nerf too which then really does suck donkey balls.
  • Well, Loki not having 'heroic' yellow I can live with, ditto Falcon/Spidey not having offensive red. Black Widows do have black, at least two of 'em (Yelena the Bagspy and oBW).
    But Psylocke, She-Hulk and now Magneto lacking purple? icon_evil.gif
  • His blue fix could have been incredibly easy and stupidly easy too

Put a shield on an existing tile without changing it's color.

Done.

Red - 6 - Done.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    LoreNYC wrote:
    His blue fix could have been incredibly easy and stupidly easy too

Done.
    I'm no fan of the changes, but why is 2 shields for 5AP better than 9 shields for 9AP?
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    LoreNYC wrote:
    His blue fix could have been incredibly easy and stupidly easy too

Done.

Red - 6 - Done.

While I agree with your sentiment, and think that's what red should have been. The ability to overwrite a tile is an ability that is highly valued and as such only costing 5 would still be amazingly broken in regards to what you could do, because he would have still been massively broken in a lot of PvE.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Global wrote:
    Look, we all knew that these changes were coming, for a long time. No one can argue that his character before was not completely overpowered, and utilized not as intended. But, as for the change the colors, I don't see the issue. Yes, you need blue to throw it and hopefully more blue will be on the board, but how often has that been an issue for Patches green? You need 6 more green on the board, after attaining 9. Even before the switch, I would typically get 5 blue and just continue to fire off the broken ability, which reduced my blue, but I typically still have 7 available.

Would this be a problem if to maximize his effectiveness you needed 13, like before, than yes. But, it isn't difficult to keep 7 blue on the board, even after acquiring it.

This is a nerf from before, but sounds like he is going to finally be created as intended with the protect abilities. He is not destroyed as a character, but he is no longer broken, which needed to happen. I'm gonna miss my Patchneto, but this will be a good change for character variety. Expect more LThors though.

He currently fills a few roles: Synergizes with strike tiles, generates AP, provides a moderate or large nuke depending on your spec.
    His new version removes most of the roles and synergies he had before AND changes his active colors so that he no longer fits into the same teams. Giving a cheap yellow active means he's going to overwrite skills like Thor Yellow. Removing a purple active means many rosters lose coverage of a purple active completely.

These changes are not tweaks and balance. They are a completely new character. If for example they made a new Thing character with these abilities, no one would go "gee, that has the same feel as the old Cmags that we used to have"
  • Re reading the change again, I note understand why purple went to blue. What I don't understand its why blue went to yellow. It seems that it would have been more logical to change blue to purple. After all, this ability is similar to falcon's purple ability, except c mags is more powerful.
  • If you read the c mags change enjoyment l announcement, they tell you why purple was moved to blue. I'm not sure if it's a good or legitimate reason, but a reason is provided nonetheless. However, no reason is provided for changing his blue to yellow. While the shield part is kind of similar to im35's yellow, it is more similar to falcon's purple since c mags'yellow does not deal damage. So, if anything, his new yellow should at least be purple, c mags not left without any purple ability.
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    I had stayed away from 5/x/x, because I actually drew 0/0/5 to start, progressing to 1/4/5, and because I felt 5 blue wasn't sporting.

But in prep for v60, and with a lucky heroic token, this week, I switched my CMags from 4/4/5 to 5/3/5, and my mind opened to the joy and wonder of self-sustaining blue AP generation. I'd like to say I never abused this power, but when I'm down to CMags at half-health holding out against two enemies with nary a scratch and lots o'AP, ethics become quite inconvenient.

It reminds me of a line from "The Shawshank Redemption:" I didn't know how to be a criminal until they put me in prison.
  • Re reading the change again, I note understand why purple went to blue. What I don't understand its why blue went to yellow. It seems that it would have been more logical to change blue to purple. After all, this ability is similar to falcon's purple ability, except c mags is more powerful.

Be careful what you wish for. Devs may read this and soon Falcon may get color realignment .. Purple to yellow (active) and yellow to purple (passive).. and there goes another active purple. =)
  • bcas76
    bcas76 Posts: 81 Match Maker
    We just didn't need another red-blue-yellow character, since there's already four of them. Here's some still unused color combos:

Red-yellow-purple (CMags goes here, maybe...)
    Yellow-green-purple
    Yellow-blue-purple
    Yellow-purple-black
    Green-blue-purple
    Green-blue-black
    Green-purple-black (Green Goblin, anyone? Kinda obvious)

I'm sure there's a solid(ish) reason for colours being assigned to specific skills and heroes/villains, but this doesn't track. Because when I think of characters most like Captain America and Iron Man, I think...Magneto? No, I don't.
  • BearVenger wrote:
    I had stayed away from 5/x/x, because I actually drew 0/0/5 to start, progressing to 1/4/5, and because I felt 5 blue wasn't sporting.

But in prep for v60, and with a lucky heroic token, this week, I switched my CMags from 4/4/5 to 5/3/5, and my mind opened to the joy and wonder of self-sustaining blue AP generation. I'd like to say I never abused this power, but when I'm down to CMags at half-health holding out against two enemies with nary a scratch and lots o'AP, ethics become quite inconvenient.

It reminds me of a line from "The Shawshank Redemption:" I didn't know how to be a criminal until they put me in prison.

I wish I could tell you that Magneto fought the good fight, and that the Developers let him be. I wish I could tell you that - but MPQ is no fairy-tale world. He never said who did it, but we all knew. Things went on like that for awhile - Match-3 life consists of routine, and then more routine. - Nick Fury in "The Mutant Redemption"
  • New red ability sounds like it hits the whole team. Anyone know if this is the case? If so, I may have to rethink my 5/3/5 build.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    New red ability sounds like it hits the whole team. Anyone know if this is the case? If so, I may have to rethink my 5/3/5 build.
    I doubt it. The old description pluralized "enemies", but it didn't affect the whole team either.
  • simonsez wrote:
    New red ability sounds like it hits the whole team. Anyone know if this is the case? If so, I may have to rethink my 5/3/5 build.
    I doubt it. The old description pluralized "enemies", but it didn't affect the whole team either.

But the new description actually mentions the word "team" while the old one didn't. I think you are probably correct, but i could see it being an AoE. Its cheap, but the amount of damage it can do can be directly countered by focusing on TUAP.
  • john1620b
    john1620b Posts: 367
    edited September 2014
    I doubt his red is going to target the entire enemy team -- if you figure there are an average of 9 TU tiles, at max level it would do 2349 damage to each enemy plus cascades. That's 67% better than She-Hulk's red, for 1 less AP.

If it does target the entire team, it's actually a pretty great ability. Too bad we can't get an admin to comment about it.
  • john1620b wrote:
    I doubt his red is going to target the entire enemy team -- if you figure there are an average of TU tiles, at max level it would do 2349 damage to each enemy plus cascades. That's 67% better than She-Hulk's red, for 1 less AP.

If it does target the entire team, it's actually a pretty great ability. Too bad we can't get an admin to comment about it.

I think since the output is a variable, which means you may not be able to cast it immediately upon gaining the proper AP, or worse, TUAP being scarce when you NEED to cast it, an AoE is possible.

Of course I am playing devils advocate. I am expecting a one enemy attack.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    The "enemy team" in the description gives it a likely chance that it will hit the enemy team. Though the only description in game that uses enemies (plural) that does damage happens to be C.Magneto currently from what I skimmed through.
  • Seasick Pirate
    Seasick Pirate Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    I just pulled a purple cover for Magneto. Would there be a benefit to not applying it until after the patch or is it okay to equip it now?
  • I just pulled a purple cover for Magneto. Would there be a benefit to not applying it until after the patch or is it okay to equip it now?

The covers you have in the purple skill will simply become covers in the new version of the skill, which will incidentally be blue and worse than it is now. So assuming you want one more cover in that skill just adding it is fine.