*** Magneto (Classic) ***

Comments

• While we are on the topic of buffing and nerfing, spider man needs one. why don't you reduce stunning to 4 blue ap and change healing power to an attack power like for every web tile he removes he deals damage, after all I don't remember spidy being a healer he always got the **** beat out of him and in the end always came up a winner.

Also im40 needs buffing iron man is a mad dog but he feels like a **** cat, reduce blue ap to 15 or to stun the whole team 2 turns.

I hope that these two characters get what they deserve.
  • sorcered wrote:
    Twysta wrote:
    sorcered wrote:
    Nobody used CMags for his purple, and his red was decent exactly due to his low AP cost. Now there are at least six 3* characters with better red powers (Punisher, Thor, Wolverine, Deadpool, Torch, Sentry) and three 3* heroes with better purple powers (Daken, Grey Widow, Falcon). Yup, I'd say they killed Magneto. R.I.P.

...I used cmags for his purple.

Stop pulling my leg, please. I have him 5/3/5 as well, but using purple was in no way his primary purpose, more if a byproduct icon_e_smile.gif

Not everyone has all the characters fully covered or fully leveled
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Cross posting some ideas here from another thread about Magneto. I'm sure other people have plenty of good ones as well.

Losing purple coverage on a lot of rosters is a huge downside here. Make his yellow match strength a pink match strength, rather than changing the ability color.

He no longer synergizes with strike tiles at ALL, unlike before, when that was one of his main niches. If he doesn't have an ability that either hits multiple times or is noticeably cheap costed, then this part of his synergy is completely gone, thus destroying much of his function in a roster. Heck, make him an ability that costs 5 red AP and does an appropriate effect for 5 red, that works for (kind of) for Psylocke. Or maybe instead of destroying teamup powers, his red could still cost 8, but could destroy 5 (or some number of) tiles, counting each tile for purposes of strike tiles. That would keep the synergy, feel and spirit of the ability but add more levers to tune it.

This new version of him is nothing like the old. It performs completely different roles, completely loses character synergies that defined the gameplay, and even matches different colors.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    HailMary wrote:
    Typhon13 wrote:
    HailMary wrote:
    Noting the reduced max swap count, I'm not sure this blue-on-blue color overlap isn't entirely intentional.

Further, I don't think CMags was overnerfed. He's still good. He's "bad' now due to comparing his new good self against his old massively-OP-like-whoa self.
    He's average now. Not good. There's a difference.
    Sure, if you say so. He's at least solidly mid-tier: not LT, but also not Doom.

He has a max-5K nuke, a Protect ability that nullifies 500 dmg (i.e. all base match dmg, most of Sacrifice, most of late-game UD strike dmg), and a TUAP-wiping cascader that should reliably hit for 2K+. Not bad.
    At least doom and loki have synergies that can be used to amplify other characters in PvE. Decent but not great characters like psylocke or this? I can't really justify ever using
  • xKOBALTx
    xKOBALTx Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
    GrimSkald wrote:
    I actually would prefer it if they kept his nuke purple (and swapping red and blue.) It synergizes much better with other characters, and there is a definite severe lack of good purple powers. There is no shortage of good yellow powers.
    Voted "yes" because I think it's the only change they will consider, but I agree that I would much rather it stay purple in the first place and render this petition unnecessary.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    This ability can potentially do 5k damage and swap tiles creating matches and only costs 10 ap. These combined are nothing to laugh at. The only reason C.Mags purple was disregarded before this nerf was because everyone was prioritizing his blue which debilitated his purple.

Not many characters have great damage based blue abilities either. It sounds balanced to me as the rewrite stands.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kolence wrote:

To me it reads pretty clear, doesn't change the color of tiles and doesn't alter TU or friendly special tiles.
    So Patch/Magneto/Storm definitely have synergy still. Berserker Rage followed by Hailstorm to increase the chance of hitting purple strike tiles with Coercive Field. Shame that this is not a rainbow team anymore - another casualty of changing purple --> blue.

Uep! You are totally right! Then I think yellow could be very good on PvE and it could have its uses in PvP. For me I think I am going 5/3/5 for now
  • Dauthi
    Thank you D3P! What do I love most about this change? He is a Wolvie-killer (especially patch) thanks to his yellow. It's always nice when this game (rarely) aligns with lore to create a real scenario in game.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Typhon13 wrote:
    Mid tier=average. Not bad, but you don't take the guy tied for best character in the game and make him "not bad". You keep him top tier but not op. In a world where sentry+boosts can win in under 5 turns and LT can dish out 10000 damage in one shot, he's now irrelevant. Basically they've reduced the top 5 to the top 3, and even then daken is only there because of sentry. That makes the guys left even more op. If they nerf the last two freaks, then the new cmags is good. Until then, he's average.
    To be clear, Sentry coupled with cheap Iso-priced boosts makes everyone else irrelevant. There is no "Sentry & LT" tier. Besides Sentry himself, Hulk and Hood are the only characters that might stand in the way of Sentry, and that's only with decent luck. New CMags' strength should be judged on its own, not compared to the strength of gamebreakingly OP old CMags.

CMags' strength came from blue-chaining and a ridiculously cheap red. The devs want CMags' Protect-tile ability to be used for its Protect tiles, and want abilities in general to cost at least 5 AP. I'd rather they kept some form of infinite-turn goodness, as well, but given the fact that that is categorically off the table, CMags' nerf was alright.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    I voted yes, so devs can see there is a problem with this ability, but I think this solution won't solve the problem of this ability.

Yellow is the other powerful ability Mags have, so you will be probably matching yellows too. And yellow now is a more valuable color than blue, so maybe there will be more blues than yellows in the field. So maybe they have playtested it and there usually are more blues than yellows...

I think that to really solve the problem this ability should move two tiles of the complemenatry magneto colors, black and purple for example. It is very weird to have an ability that depends on the number of tiles you use to match for its power, i suppose this is why Magnetic Translocation worked before, because you matched purples, but you moved blues and reds (and you were able to create more blues with Magnetic Field just before using MT)
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Needing the same color on the board to maximize a skill's effect is nothing new. It gives you a choice between using a skill immediately or waiting for a better layout. A few skills off the top of my head where this is the case:

Moonstone's Photon Blast -- red skill, extremely red-dependent.
    Human Torch's Fireball -- ok, you'll probably always have at least two red on the board
    Sentry's red -- somewhere in between the first two.
    Spider-Man and Bullseye's protect passives -- you have to remove purple from the board to convert purple protect tiles. Sometimes this means you're more likely to remove or reposition protect tiles than create new ones.
    Doom's blue -- blue skill, extremely blue-dependent.

There are probably more, you get the idea.

I do agree with the alternate suggestion of changing his match damage to purple instead of a skill to yellow.
  • Raffoon
    Dauthi wrote:
    Thank you D3P! What do I love most about this change? He is a Wolvie-killer (especially patch) thanks to his yellow. It's always nice when this game (rarely) aligns with lore to create a real scenario in game.

If you really care about lore, then he was more of a Wolvie killer before. He would grab Wolvie by the metal and throw him around in the comics, not hide behind a shield.

Know the best way to stop Patch? Kill him before he Berserker Rages. Know what doesn't work well against Patch? Shield tiles valued at half as much as his strike tiles (477 in shields vs 888 in strike tiles).
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,564 Chairperson of the Boards
    DayvBang wrote:
    Needing the same color on the board to maximize a skill's effect is nothing new. It gives you a choice between using a skill immediately or waiting for a better layout. A few skills off the top of my head where this is the case:

Moonstone's Photon Blast -- red skill, extremely red-dependent.
    Human Torch's Fireball -- ok, you'll probably always have at least two red on the board
    Sentry's red -- somewhere in between the first two.
    Spider-Man and Bullseye's protect passives -- you have to remove purple from the board to convert purple protect tiles. Sometimes this means you're more likely to remove or reposition protect tiles than create new ones.
    Doom's blue -- blue skill, extremely blue-dependent.

There are probably more, you get the idea.

I do agree with the alternate suggestion of changing his match damage to purple instead of a skill to yellow.

Doom isn't a great example - the primary purpose of the blue is to feed the black. The blue skill has some ability to create matches, particularly criticals, but it seems clear that the devs intended it to allow him to summon his demons.

That being said, you definitely have a point. The big one I can think of is LDaken's blue actively hinders his healing.

The big thing is purple is definitely an under-utilized color among the 3*s, while yellow is not. CMags had a wonderful niche utilizing blue and purple (even if he couldn't match purple worth a damn,) that niche has been changed and he'll suffer for it. The diversity of the game suffers for it.
  • This is all solved by leaving the ability a purple ability (WHICH WE ALL WANT) and making his prot tile ability blue (as it currently is in game).

Just change his yellow strength match to purple.

Whats the problem here D3? It solves every problem people are complaining about.
  • HailMary wrote:
    MikeHock wrote:
    What I'm saying is that I'll have to score Magneto blue covers...... Even though I've gotten at least 5 in the 300+ days I've played. Seems rather silly. Let's not pretend that there is some semblance of abilities and colors across the board. Prior to the nerf, both Loki and Magnetos purple ability swapped tiles. Now, Loki swaps with Purple and Magneto swaps with blue.
    Well, you'll have to score MagTrans covers, which you would've had to do anyway. You're complaining because now the Protect ability can't create infinite turns anymore, so you'd rather have 5-cover MagTrans instead. icon_razz.gif

And no, I'm not saying that there's a set rule for which colors do what, but in this case, it makes sense that your per-color cover count is anchored to the ability type, not simply the color.

I've not complained about removing Magnetos current Blue-infinite-turn-power once. We all knew that was getting changed.

What I've stated a few times is that I currently have 5 blue.... and after the change, I'll have to score blue covers again, which seems silly. So yeah, personally the redesign/nerf is annoying as all hell after I've spend 300+ days building and using him.

Compare new Magneto to Marvel Now Magneto. This is rhetorical, but why would D3 move away from keeping his abilities uniform, color wise.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    IMO, unless red gains the ability to collect TU AP, I think 5/3/5 is the better option. I know people are saying 3/5/5 is better PvP, but realistically, are you going to want to run him in PvP? I have always prefered to put the covers in spells that increase the effectiveness by adding new features to the skill, not straight damage upgrades since I still get the same skill as someone who maxed it, and in boosted enviornments, the differnce almost doesnt' matter. That's not to say I won't, but it's usually because the skill that gets more features as you level up is worthless anyway. Blackpanther is an example, per my logic I should go 3/5/5 but because his blue is very inconsistent and not always useful, I choose 5/3/5. I just think 5/3/5 for C.Mags is the stronger option overall, and if I went into PvP, the odds of me not having a better, cheaper red user on the team is small, thus 5/3/5 would work better anyway.

I think I would pair C.Mags with Punisher or Deadpool alot
  • bonebreak wrote:
    This is all solved by leaving the ability a purple ability (WHICH WE ALL WANT) and making his prot tile ability blue (as it currently is in game).

Just change his yellow strength match to purple.

Whats the problem here D3? It solves every problem people are complaining about.

Couldn't agree more, if he had been r/y/p or u/y/p it would have been fine. Just don't take his purple
  • Dauthi
    Raffoon wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:

If you really care about lore, then he was more of a Wolvie killer before. He would grab Wolvie by the metal and throw him around in the comics, not hide behind a shield.

Know the best way to stop Patch? Kill him before he Berserker Rages. Know what doesn't work well against Patch? Shield tiles valued at half as much as his strike tiles (477 in shields vs 888 in strike tiles).

Right, the world is indeed not perfect. Regardless his ability wipes out patch's beneficial tiles for him while leaving his beneficial tiles for you.
  • Dauthi wrote:
    Raffoon wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:

Right, the world is indeed not perfect. Regardless his ability wipes out patch's beneficial tiles for him while leaving his beneficial tiles for you.
    Any change to CMags spammability was already a Wolvie killer. Patch usage will drop after R60. But I guess X-Force will go up, so yay for diversity
  • Raffoon
    Sigh... enjoying my Magneto while I can. These changes are going to take a fun character and turn him into a completely different one filling completely different roles and completely different colors.

You can do better Devs! The xForce changes are proof. Don't go ahead with these Magneto changes, or you'll steal the fun from thousands of players icon_cry.gif