*** Magneto (Classic) ***

Comments

• OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk, could you review your post. You have some confusing info as you regularly use 7 swaps when talking about a non 5 blue build. You only gain 7 swaps at 5 blue. 6 at 3-4.
  • Am I the only one that thinks 3/5/5 is the new best build? Reasons:

1. Going from 3 -> 5 in yellow only gets you one additional shield tile, so it's not going to overwrite a bunch more tiles.

2. Protect tiles in general are pretty useless, so the additional protection is not at all as valuable as the damage increase for red and blue.

3. Overwriting countdowns is nice, but honestly: how often are you going to do that? In goon battles it might be useful, except that his protect tiles are placed randomly. So it may not even work. For those that want to use it explicitly as a Sentry counter: World Rupture isn't that damaging without strike tiles, and if I use Magneto's yellow ability, I'd rather overwrite those strike tiles than the countdown ones. If you leave his ability at 3 yellow covers, you have a good chance of doing so since the board will mostly be countdown tiles, your special tiles, or TU tiles.

Yellow is by far his weakest power in my estimation, and it seems like a hefty trade-off to limit his red or blue for a slight increase in protection and maybe overwrite a countdown tile you want.
  • theshadeofopal
    theshadeofopal Posts: 93 Match Maker
    Rather than echo everyone else's tinykittying, just got a different qualm. Sell rate seems rather low given the situation. I understand players wouldn't necessarily get 100% due to use back but a 50% return after having one product confiscated and replaced with an unarguably lower quality one is kinda weak.
  • Beast1970 wrote:
    My immediate concern, and one that someone else has most likely already figured out, is how to deal with Hulk.

Yup, in general CMAGS was the only viable sollution for hulk without needing 3 health packs after. Now I see nothing unless you save up 90 AP with cap to use his stun then shield, and then do it again if you get the return AP.

Stupid. I expected and agreed with a nerfing, but now we have 1 less purple AP player, which makes it nearly 0 playable purple, and although I like the no spamming, CMAGS's heavy hitting superpower is now nothing much, and his yellow is a joke.

Thanks for the memories CMAGS, guess I will be playing you with whatever other C-team players I have. I think the overnerf put him too far down the list. Mags was a formidable villian, now he's less of a pain than a moderate toothache.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk, could you review your post. You have some confusing info as you regularly use 7 swaps when talking about a non 5 blue build. You only gain 7 swaps at 5 blue. 6 at 3-4.

ahh, ****, sorry I'll fix that
  • Infrared wrote:
    Falcon and C.Mags seem like they would work nicely together. You get two powers that create tons of protect tiles, with inspiration boosting both while collecting yellow AP for more coercive fields. Toss in Spidey or Bullseye for the ultimate troll team.

What a nightmare, maybe for annoying deffence, but i wouldn't want to devote the hour and a half to trying to win a single battle with them.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    john1620b wrote:
    Am I the only one that thinks 3/5/5 is the new best build? Reasons:

1. Going from 3 -> 5 in yellow only gets you one additional shield tile, so it's not going to overwrite a bunch more tiles.

2. Protect tiles in general are pretty useless, so the additional protection is not at all as valuable as the damage increase for red and blue.

3. Overwriting countdowns is nice, but honestly: how often are you going to do that? In goon battles it might be useful, except that his protect tiles are placed randomly. So it may not even work. For those that want to use it explicitly as a Sentry counter: World Rupture isn't that damaging without strike tiles, and if I use Magneto's yellow ability, I'd rather overwrite those strike tiles than the countdown ones. If you leave his ability at 3 yellow covers, you have a good chance of doing so since the board will mostly be countdown tiles, your special tiles, or TU tiles.

Yellow is by far his weakest power in my estimation, and it seems like a hefty trade-off to limit his red or blue for a slight increase in protection and maybe overwrite a countdown tile you want.

You are 100% correct in your assumption. obviously the big 3 builds are 3/5/5, 5/5/3, and 5/3/5 as 4 in any of them is not very efficient. (Trust me I crunched the numbers, D3 realy wants you to go all in on 2 builds with this guy)

So comparing your 3/5/5 to say the 5/3/5 and assuming 10 TU's out, you are willing to give up (not overwriting CD, 1 less Protect, and thus 205 less dmg taken) for an extra 1040 damage. I can't say I disagree with you

And compared to 5/5/3 you are willing to give up the same but this time for an extra 2585. Again I don't disagree.

I cannot and will not disagree with your choice which shows that (minus a few tweaks on blue) they made him that no correct build kinda guy we like. I think we'll have to let things play out for awhile when figuring out who he pairs well with, from a PvP perspective I do think 3/5/5 is the better choice, however, do you want to run him PvP?

Things to note about the new C.Mags

-Only She-Hulk and Beast can tank blue for him

-Patch still pairs really well and can tank red and yellow for C.Mags, in addition a maxed yellow can negate 3 of Patch's enemy strike tiles.

-Captain Marvel can also tank red and yellow and feed C.Mags all the red he can drink.

-Red really hurts when maxed and gets you a fair amount of AP regardless

-Blue isn't terrible, but it's no Purple

-Yellow is suprisingly good

I have completely shut out the AI with a Patch/C.Mags combo. Because Patch tanks yellow, you can heal the early damage, cast Coercive Field and then take nothing, rinse and repeat, once they get this going it is very hard to dislodge either of them, and once a Coercive Field is out, it is safe for C.Mags to pick up his own blue. It also highly negates Berserker Rage, so if once casts the Berserker/Coercive you will negate slightly more than 3 enemy strike tiles worth of damage so for a 3/5/5 Patch there is no downside anymore and for a 5/3/5 Patch, you get all the offensive benefits, but only the drawback of the Level 3 Berserker Rage, which is sweet.

As much as I do not like what they did to his blue it is needed at level 5. The question comes do you go 3/5/5 or 5/3/5 those are really the only 2 decent builds. This is where I am having my trouble, because depending on who you pair C.Mags with really dictates what build you want.

What I am finding though is 5/3/5 makes for really good combo's and pairings, where the reason you generally want 3/5/5 is because you pair him with someone who has a better yellow, which is really where it comes down to. Pair C.Mags with a really good yellow user and you want him 3/5/5, pair C.Mags with an average or no yellow user and you want him 5/3/5.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    So does Coercive Field actually seek out enemy special tiles to overwrite?
  • The game updated tonight, then I start a game with my 5/5/2 Classic Magneto and discover the horrific modification...
    CMag was the only board-control character in this game, and now is just a damage dealer like (too) many others.

The old CMag was top 3, now he is clearly not in the top half...

You designed the blue power to be an effective shield, but almost all the player use it for board control/generating AP, so why go back to a defensive power ? Even the Purple power of 2 star Magneto is better than this new abilities...

Red power at 2PA is too powerful, why not just add +1AP and reducing damage ? This new Red power is just useless...

It's an insult to all the players who spend money and time to get CMag covers.

I have only two characters with 12+ covers, CMag was one, I lost half of my fire power, I'm very very very disapointed by the update, and I think I'm done with the game....
  • So does Coercive Field actually seek out enemy special tiles to overwrite?
    No -- I have a 5/4/4 Magneto and used it on a goon node when there were 3 countdown tiles out. It didn't hit *any* of them. Which confirms my point about the yellow only maybe hitting the countdown tile you want.
  • KillStormFirst
    KillStormFirst Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    Overall not terrible, it'll take some getting used to but it's not like they Storm-Spidey-Ragnarok'd him. Still an awesome character I'll be using as a primary... for now?
  • Getting rid of specific tile is supposed to be hard. It might not be obvious in PvP but in PvE there's a whole mess of game over special tiles to get rid of, and due to the unique advantage enemy gets in PvE even normal special tiles that aren't too scary in PvP can be quite devastating there. An ability like Threaten can be considered as pretty close to 'game over' and even a chance to overwrite it is very useful when you don't have the old Magneto bailing you out of any mess.

Coercive Field would be overpowered if the game isn't overwhelmingly in favor of offense. It's still strong enough to make defense somewhat credible, especially in PvE where you don't have to worry about your opponents starting with boosts.
  • I dont care that Mags was nerfed. He needed to be nerfed. However, this new character is no fun whatsoever.

Should have changed blue to not be able to drop on matchup tiles, red to cost more AP, and purple to do less damage.

This is why I will never, ever spend real money on covers. I fell like whatever I pay for will just be taken away from me.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    The game updated tonight, then I start a game with my 5/5/2 Classic Magneto and discover the horrific modification...
    CMag was the only board-control character in this game, and now is just a damage dealer like (too) many others.

You designed the blue power to be an effective shield, but almost all the player use it for board control/generating AP, so why go back to a defensive power ? Even the Purple power of 2 star Magneto is better than this new abilities...

Red power at 2PA is too powerful, why not just add +1AP and reducing damage ? This new Red power is just useless...

I have only two characters with 12+ covers, CMag was one, I lost half of my fire power, I'm very very very disapointed by the update, and I think I'm done with the game....

I don't think you see the upside to your CMags. His Yellow will help you take less damage and play longer, and if your other 3* is Patch or another strike tile generator Cmags red will be a great nuke for you. It does so much more damage than before. His previous red was doing 1k damage with strike tiles for 2AP and that was broken. I hope you take the time to try him out. I think you will find that he is still a really good character and will still let you win a lot of matches.
  • So could the moderator please update Cmags new red abilities to indicate that his red only does AOE damage at 5. A little annoyed to only find this out AFTER respecting him.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    LoreNYC wrote:
    So could the moderator please update Cmags new red abilities to indicate that his red only does AOE damage at 5. A little annoyed to only find this out AFTER respecting him.

What do you mean?
  • was told red does AOE damage at 5 (but doesn't at 3)

this isn't in patch notes
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    I didn't get the impression that it does AoE damage.
  • He may not be bad but I don't find him fun to use anymore. He drops a bunch of protects? Big deal. They're pretty strong but protect tiles aren't fun to use for me. Id rather kill the enemy fast to limit damage than kill them slow and block their damage. His red is fun if you get a good cascade. You know, the ones the ai only gets. His blue doesn't pack enough punch at less than 5 covers to be really fun to use. The abilities are effective, just not fun for me personally. Just my purely selfish opinion. I don't pretend to speak for anyone else.
  • wymtime wrote:
    The game updated tonight, then I start a game with my 5/5/2 Classic Magneto and discover the horrific modification...

I don't think you see the upside to your CMags. His Yellow will help you take less damage and play longer, and if your other 3* is Patch or another strike tile generator Cmags red will be a great nuke for you. It does so much more damage than before. His previous red was doing 1k damage with strike tiles for 2AP and that was broken. I hope you take the time to try him out. I think you will find that he is still a really good character and will still let you win a lot of matches.

So, red is "fixed" and although there needed to be a nerf of the infinite crit tile blue, the sollution is essentially falcon's purple but less, yippie. His purple is now also decimated. Not only is it an over nerf, it's not keeping within the spirit of Magneto himself. Magneto isn't a 3rd teir villian, he's a top tier. In a game with already weak and few villains and not many useful purple AP skills, it's just a diservice to the game.

Also, mag's yellow doesn't really work better with patch unless you have 5 in patch's yellow, since every yellow match you make will effect patch's regen and decimate it from 330 a turn to 100 a turn.

In general, really lame, and although I was expecting and agreeing with the nerf it's turned him into a weak character, I'm in the same boat, I got lucky with early mags cards and love mags, so he was a cornerstone, now, I might as well sell him and run MMAGS, since this mags will be **** on D, and will most assuredly not cost less heal packs like you suggest. If I wanted a weak player with deffence tiles, I'd play falcon.

Mag's red isn't good enough to use with som one who has a decent red. Red is a POWERHOUSE and i used mag's red on occasion when I had little red ap and wouldn't have enough to use a real red AP ability, now it's just a weak red ability. Yippie. there are already 15 heros/villians in the game with weak red attacks, and a few with actual good ones.

you take an overpowered top 2 - 3 ranking guy, and instead of putting him at the top of the villians pile and keeping him in a top 6 guy, you gut him and drop him to what....maybe top 10? maybe?