*** Magneto (Classic) ***

Comments

• M1Lance
    M1Lance Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    A mags nerf "should" happen but isn't "needed," (like a rags nerf) in a pertinent fashion...especially as each new character has the clear and present danger of making this game a power creep. the issue is that the devs have given me 0 trust in thier ability to balance characters. Characters nerfs (big ones):

Loki: huge nerf, turned him into the worst 3*** in the game.

Storm. Turned an op 2** support.character into a much weaker, but still decent 2** character. Useing knowledge of changes that came later, her nerf was a good one. At the time though thor and wolvie were very strong and so her nerf was a pretty big deal. I'll give them.a pass on this one as they didn't touch her blue I don't think, allowing her to stay pretty decent. Still 2/2 on huge nerfing though.

Venom: his black never should have devoured the while team. So this was a good nerf, nit only because 1* should kinda suck. Regardless, another HUGE nerf. 3/3.

Rag. Hands down best character in the game (wasn't close), only defensively broken character they ha e ever released (didn't see Loki, so maybe him too). Like the t rex before whatever killed the dinosaurs. Then *whomp*, one day the nerf bat cometh and rag is the 2nd worst 3*** in the game. This gets a "bad." Yes, it was necessary and he certainly.needed needing, but yet again...the nerf was too big. 4/4.

Tholverine. Better handled than rag, which came out of nowhere with 0 compensation at all, but the comk was horrible for the change and they made them required literally RIGHT after ...multiple times...without telling ppl that they would be as a warning. -The thor nerf was pretty well made, and is the only nerf example where I think they did pretty well. His red was destroyed. 8 ap for pitiful damage and fewer yellow. He is a 2** so its okay it was that weak given his other 2 abilities. Yellow became a green builder AMD green became the end all move. Before his green sucked but his red Into yellow was insane damage for 18 ap given.that the red built.into the yellow and he was a 2**. 18 red basically.guaranteed you a thunder getting off. So 18 ap (the red) basically earned you 5.5k+ damage. For a character not named rag at the time that was too much for very little thought...and many times 12 red was good enough to earn a thunder. The new version was a nerf, as it slowed him down.considerably (in play he was worse than when you just simply looked at his stats) but he still had his uses and still had a solid yellow (though the damage was pitiful on.its own, at the time it was all there really was for yellow). I give this a thumbs up.
    -wolvie got the ish end of the stick. Red made considerably.stronger but a tad slower was a nice little bump, but.didn't meanuch. The new green was necessary, but it hurt...badly. not entirely not warranted though. The yeellow didn't Ned to happen. I give it a down, but its iffy and I could give it a pass as well. They just, yet again, nerfed too hard. 5/6.

Spidey. Talk.is recent so I won't reiterate. He is overly nerfed. 5/6.

So in the course of 6 heavy character changes they over nerfed 5 out of 6 times. Thor is a misnomer even as they didn't nerf him as much as basically restructured.his character.

So I guess, the only way I feel a nerf to mags won't be catastrophic is if they totally retool.him. otherwise, I expect his blue go be unusable, is red simply wasteful, and his purple nerfed and only.keeping.him.useable by the fact that its.the only damaging purple atm. Yes, they could keep is purple as is, make his blue cost 1 ap ...MAYBE 2 ap more and make his red become a 5 ap cheap version of hulk's green...but they won't. Because creating a power creep via nerfs makes.more.money then allowing.there fo be aan actual good og character.

When they ADD abilities, just as a side thought, they are ALWAYS oP. OBW black (op), Loki's move that the ended up nerf/removing (op), dakans New blue (I don't know.I'd I would say op, but once you nerf magneto? Yes it is..by comparison to other characters that damage to ap ratio ...plus being fast..is bonkers for a blue)..and spidey'purple (op with human use, not with computer use due to 2 ap blue)

So yea, they kinda suck at balancing.

Is rather them leave mags than butcher him, though a proper nerf would be best.

My sentiments exactly. Thor is the only character that they've properly nerfed so far. Everything doesn't have to be all or nothing.
  • So in the course of 6 heavy character changes they over nerfed 5 out of 6 times. Thor is a misnomer even as they didn't nerf him as much as basically restructured.his character.

Huh? By your own analysis Storm and Venom turned out fine, making "overnerfs" 3/6 (And I don't agree that Wolvie was overnerfed, but you don't appear to include him in your count)
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Go watch X-Men DOFP to get a clear look on how powerful Magneto can be. The master of magnetism should never be nerfed.
  • gamar wrote:
    So in the course of 6 heavy character changes they over nerfed 5 out of 6 times. Thor is a misnomer even as they didn't nerf him as much as basically restructured.his character.

Huh? By your own analysis Storm and Venom turned out fine, making "overnerfs" 3/6 (And I don't agree that Wolvie was overnerfed, but you don't appear to include him in your count)

Venom was a 1* who never should have been in the discussion of fighting with 3***. Maybe the nerf was "fair" in the sense that he was a 1*, but the nerf was HARD. it also made the move, vs 1* and 2** teams he SHOULD be fighting, rather weak, and so I stand by the idea it was over nerfed.... Being Inconsequential doesn't make the nerf okay when determining the dev's ability to balance characters.

I lumped thor and wolvie together, so technically it should be 6/7. Wolvie was over nerfed. His yellow did not need to be weakened. The nerf to green was a bit harsh, but rather to be expected and overall rather fair. The nerf to yellow on top.of that was pretty big if you used him constantly as you couldn't heal him to full hp easily anymore. If they had kept his red as it was before ppl STILL would have swapped from 5/3/5 to 5/5/3. Ppl did that for a good reason...his yellow got wrecked. Only reason wolvie still competes really now is because obw black is broken. How many wolvie teams do you see without her? Overly nerfed isn't the same thing as broken. 3/6 were broken, wolvie was just overnerfed.

As I said with storm, she only looks like an okay nerf when you kook at it with months instead of Monday night quaterbacking. At the time, if was an overnerf. The yellow was once considered the only reason 2** players could compete (she was more like a crutch though...). They didn't just removed the ap generation completely, nor did they simply require her to be at half health for her move fo do any real.damage. it required the ENTIRE TEAM to be below a certain health, THEN required you to do damage over a certain amount to someone to do any real damage and also no longer generated any ap. Being able to know what we know now, nobody surpassed her blue, and very few 2** were ever released. They nerfed the other 2 good 2**...so looking back she fits the mold of where 2** other than obw are. At the time it made her on par with dakan and moonstone, both character considered to be too weak. Her green was even arguably worse than her 1*. If not for the games lack of blue at the time and the fact the highest hp character then was ragnarok (who was a good deal higher than the next guy) I don't know if anyone would have ever used her.
  • Don't need to overthink the change - just have mags generate protect tiled in some color that isn't blue. That will force things to be working as intended.
  • NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    I don't think the nerf is even needed anymore. He is very powerful, but in my book not noticeably more powerful than some of the other top 3* chars. Personally I use both Patch and Punisher more often than I do Mags, even though I have all three of them maxed. So why should he be nerfed? And even if you think he should be nerfed, in light of the track record on nerfing, I say having a OP mags is still way better than utterly destroying him like they did with spidy.
  • I think they'll redo his red at least, since they appear to want to eliminate all <5 ap skills, but that may be all they "need" to do. If they nerf his blue no one will use him. It's a good skill, but it's not gamebreaking. You run out of blue tiles on the board too quickly for it to be gamebreaking.
  • kensterr wrote:
    Go watch X-Men DOFP to get a clear look on how powerful Magneto can be. The master of magnetism should never be nerfed.
    So ken, u also watch dy. now..i am really can"t wait to go watch. I saw thriller, did storm die from backstab?! ****
  • I honestly think the cMags nerf is incredibly simple - change his blue to 6 AP so you can't continue to spam it by doing match 5's all the time, and change his red to 5 AP and increase the damage a little. If he's still considered OP, up his blue to 7 AP. It's really not rocket science.
  • NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    If they nerf his blue no one will use him.

when has that ever stopped them? icon_e_wink.gif
  • DaveyPitch wrote:
    I honestly think the cMags nerf is incredibly simple - change his blue to 6 AP so you can't continue to spam it by doing match 5's all the time, and change his red to 5 AP and increase the damage a little. If he's still considered OP, up his blue to 7 AP. It's really not rocket science.

So, the nerf will be: Blue generates a single protect tile for 10 AP, -1 cost per blue protect tile on the board. Red will blow up 3 tiles for 5 AP and do no additional damage. Purple will have its damage halved. Then Ice IX will enter the discussion to tell us about how his strategic use has changed and how we'll see his new function once we get a chance to play with him.
  • Moon 17 wrote:
    DaveyPitch wrote:
    I honestly think the cMags nerf is incredibly simple - change his blue to 6 AP so you can't continue to spam it by doing match 5's all the time, and change his red to 5 AP and increase the damage a little. If he's still considered OP, up his blue to 7 AP. It's really not rocket science.

So, the nerf will be: Blue generates a single protect tile for 10 AP, -1 cost per blue protect tile on the board. Red will blow up 3 tiles for 5 AP and do no additional damage. Purple will have its damage halved. Then Ice IX will enter the discussion to tell us about how his strategic use has changed and how we'll see his new function once we get a chance to play with him.

The sad thing is that you version is much more likely to come true than mine icon_e_sad.gif
  • My guess is they'll nerf him after Season 2 is over, and I'm guessing they revise Red, Blue and Purple.
  • Blue should be increased by 1 AP like DaveyPitch suggested which would cause his power to be lowered a respectable amount but still maintain the fun versatility it brings.

My cynical side expects blue to be increased to 8 or 9 AP with increased defensive tile value, though.
  • AlphaNik
    AlphaNik Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Next week I'll be receiving a blue cover via daily reward, so my CMags will be at 4/2/2. I've got enough Hp to buy a cover and 30K ISO to level him up a bit. The other 3* star I've got to a reasonable level is a 102 4/3/3 Patch. Now What should I do, get a cover for CMags (I'd say a blue one) trying to exploit the synergy with Patch before the nerf, or wait?
    Other option would be get a cover for Patch (thinking about Yellow cos he's my only viable 3* and I'd like him to stay alive).

Any suggestion would be appreciated.
  • AlphaNik wrote:
    Next week I'll be receiving a blue cover via daily reward, so my CMags will be at 4/2/2. I've got enough Hp to buy a cover and 30K ISO to level him up a bit. The other 3* star I've got to a reasonable level is a 102 4/3/3 Patch. Now What should I do, get a cover for CMags (I'd say a blue one) trying to exploit the synergy with Patch before the nerf, or wait?
    Other option would be get a cover for Patch (thinking about Yellow cos he's my only viable 3* and I'd like him to stay alive).

Crossposting from another thread:

Unless you have another really solid high level 3* team, I would recommend taking his blue to five and that's it. Even if he gets a nerf a couple months out, you'll probably get your value out of that 1250 HP, and it's much less important to bring his red and purple higher, especially when paired with Patch or Punisher. Like Nonce said he's not great on defense, so I wouldn't worry about not having him at level 141 anyways, even at 5/2/2 he'll pair well with the strikers and give you nice, fast kills
  • AlphaNik wrote:

I wouldn't buy 5th blue on HP, another red is worth considering if you immediately level him to max. That way you keep open to lucky pulls in all colors and he may come as a prize -- it's quite awful to trash such covers. With patch more red pays off well, having 5 not necessary but 4 is target. with 3 it will be working.

There is a huge difference from the last blue but you can learn to use it fine at 4.

IMO start with leveling him to max and test as he is, spend HP only as final resort.
  • AlphaNik
    AlphaNik Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Thank you guys! Yeah pasa_ you're right, i didn't consider that murphy's law and rng are there to make you pull the exact cover you've just maxed. I'll start seeing how this guy work with 4 blue.
  • LoreNYC wrote:
    Cmag actually has a really fine line between OP and complete garbage.

I hope they balance him properly unlike the spidey nerf because tons of people love cmag and he could be broken very easily with a rush fix

Given d3's track record, I think "rush" is probably not a word that will apply to any balance fix they do. icon_razz.gif
  • If Magneto Classic is overpowered, and I honestly am not sure it is, then it only needs slight tweaks to "fix." Hopefully D3 doesn't overcompensate. Up the purple cost by 3 or 4, up the blue cost by 1 and make it create purple protect tiles. Synergy and no more self sustaining. Plus Magneto retains a deadly late-match move that's in keeping with how powerful he is as a Marvel villain. I mean, c'mon, he's freakin' Magneto.