*** Magneto (Classic) ***

Comments

• Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm fairly sure returning AP is something they wouldn't go for, but I hope if they up the AP cost for red, they also up the number of tiles destroyed, not just the damage. How many tiles does juggie destroy for 6 again? Probably not quite that much, but a hell of a lot more than 5
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Assuming the abilities aren't redesigned, keeping them similar to their current incarnation you'd probably have:

Magnetized Particle 5R - destroys 5 random tiles + 500 damage, does not generate AP.
    Magnetic Field 5B - Converts 2 random blue tiles to protect tiles

I could live with Magnetized Particle that way, Magnetic Field, ugh.....I do like my idea of it making one blue and one red thus negating the infinite turn. I do think though it's the combination of the 2 thats the problem and not necessarily the skills unto themselves. If they did what you propose for MP, and then wait to see how that plays out before touch MF I think that is the smarter way to go. Because if you Make MP cost 5, you can't abuse the Patch/C.Mags strike tile combo. Yes you still have MF, but eventually you run out of blue, however this can take awhile. If they do what you say to MF then they better have it be massive in protect tile strength, like base strength 150 or something

I personally think that cmags strength comes from his ability to easily generate environmental crits, so i dont think that just nerfing red is going to be enough: it might slow down patch combo, but it doesnt get rid of his ability to generate ridiculius amounts of ap on jungle/desert.

I really like your idea with the one red one blue tile, but i wonder if even that is too powerful by demiurges standards. I feel like what were going to see is either what phantron suggested or the ability costing 8-9 blue ap to do what it does now.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    I do expect it to be strictly worse than Mn Mag's purple

And for them to nerf the purple for kitties and giggles
  • LoreNYC wrote:
    Cmag actually has a really fine line between OP and complete garbage.

I hope they balance him properly unlike the spidey nerf because tons of people love cmag and he could be broken very easily with a rush fix

I think this was the same as SM personally. The powers are setup where they are really good as is but when you change values for mana they are complete ****. SM needed a redesign and so would Mag. SM didnt get one instead they just lowered his abilities by 80% and changed his blue to cost 250% more. This makes me scared of what they will do with mag. Mag is my highest level character. If he gets SM treatment I'll likely just stop playing much at all.
  • I guess Magneto is next now that Spiderman has been changed if I am reading things propery. I was thinking of using some hero points to move him to have enough covers to max currently have 10 covers and was thinking getting the last 3. However I'd prefer not to use my winnings if the changes are a a few weeks or so away. He seems to be a pretty well used character in PVP so I was hoping to get thoughts on if it would be worth the upgrade.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Artorean wrote:
    I guess Magneto is next now that Spiderman has been changed if I am reading things propery. I was thinking of using some hero points to move him to have enough covers to max currently have 10 covers and was thinking getting the last 3. However I'd prefer not to use my winnings if the changes are a a few weeks or so away. He seems to be a pretty well used character in PVP so I was hoping to get thoughts on if it would be worth the upgrade.

I asked about the ETA on the Spidey changes 4 months ago at which point IceIX said that they would be more likely to balance the character within a couple of weeks rather than a couple of months. 4 months have passed and here we are. Moral of the story, its impossible to say until the week before the changes hit. Hopefully Demiurge gets better about this and changes happen in the next month, but who can really say for sure at this point.
  • Artorean wrote:
    I guess Magneto is next now that Spiderman has been changed if I am reading things propery. I was thinking of using some hero points to move him to have enough covers to max currently have 10 covers and was thinking getting the last 3. However I'd prefer not to use my winnings if the changes are a a few weeks or so away. He seems to be a pretty well used character in PVP so I was hoping to get thoughts on if it would be worth the upgrade.

Is his Blue at five? Do you have a good Punisher and/or Patch?
  • I wouldn't do it at this point. You would be much better served spending that HP on upgrading Lazy Thor/BP/Fabio since they are unlikely to ever be nerfed in the near future.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Magneto is popular and fun, but he's not overused. I see Punisher, Lazy Thor, Hulk, and Patch more than I see Magneto in PvP. If there was another good cover for Purple, we'd see him even less. Right now, if you want to cover purple with a 3* team, you're pretty much going to be using Magneto or BWGS.

His AI is terrible. It's not annoying to play against him. As such, few people really care about his being overpowered. The Hood, Hulk, and Lazy Thor are trickier to play against. Magneto is also the most fun character to play.

I expect more buffs in the future, actually. Hopefully, one of the upcoming characters will use purple, to fix the color pie problem.

Top Tier, used: Punisher, Lazy Thor, Hulk, Patch, BWGS, Magneto
    Top Tier, rare: Human Torch, Captain America, Hood, Black Panther
    Middle Tier, needs minor buff: Psylocke, Iron Man
    Bottom Tier, needs buff: Ragnarok, Loki, Falcon, Doctor Doom, Daredevil

A major nerf to Mags won't improve the game at all since he isn't overused. it would hurt the game, since he's one of two choices for Purple at the moment. A minor nerf, such as raising the cost of his Blue by 1AP, would erase much of his unintended power without having much of a game effect.
  • Magneto is popular and fun, but he's not overused. I see Punisher, Lazy Thor, Hulk, and Patch more than I see Magneto in PvP. If there was another good cover for Purple, we'd see him even less. Right now, if you want to cover purple with a 3* team, you're pretty much going to be using Magneto or BWGS.

His AI is terrible. It's not annoying to play against him. As such, few people really care about his being overpowered. The Hood, Hulk, and Lazy Thor are trickier to play against. Magneto is also the most fun character to play.

I expect more buffs in the future, actually. Hopefully, one of the upcoming characters will use purple, to fix the color pie problem.

Top Tier, used: Punisher, Lazy Thor, Hulk, Patch, BWGS, Magneto
    Top Tier, rare: Human Torch, Captain America, Hood, Black Panther
    Middle Tier, needs minor buff: Psylocke, Iron Man
    Bottom Tier, needs buff: Ragnarok, Loki, Falcon, Doctor Doom, Daredevil

A major nerf to Mags won't improve the game at all since he isn't overused. it would hurt the game, since he's one of two choices for Purple at the moment. A minor nerf, such as raising the cost of his Blue by 1AP, would erase much of his unintended power without having much of a game effect.

For what it's worth, I see a LOT more Hood than I see GSBW or Hulk, and I still see quite a few Patch/Magneto teams, though significantly less than I saw before LT was released

For what it's worth part 2, he's no Hulk or Hood on defense, but sitting through the Magnetized Projectile animation every single turn can be QUITE annoying, especially if it sets off a lucky cascade icon_e_wink.gif
  • I'm pretty sure that they said something about cmags not even being a priority anymore in light of the recent releases and that a xforce buff was a higher priority at this point
  • gamar wrote:
    Artorean wrote:

I have his blue at 4 currently and red/purple both at 3, haven't had too much luck with token for him. I do have a maxed Punisher with 5 green, Patch I'm working on a last cover for but he is close. Magneto seems very fun from when I've used him in PVE. It's a conundrum to me with the timing.

I definitely want to thank every for their insights, this community is much more helpful than other places I've been.
  • Artorean wrote:
    gamar wrote:
    Artorean wrote:

I have his blue at 4 currently and red/purple both at 3, haven't had too much luck with token for him. I do have a maxed Punisher with 5 green, Patch I'm working on a last cover for but he is close. Magneto seems very fun from when I've used him in PVE. It's a conundrum to me with the timing.

I definitely want to thank every for their insights, this community is much more helpful than other places I've been.

Unless you have another really solid high level 3* team, I would recommend taking his blue to five and that's it. Even if he gets a nerf a couple months out, you'll probably get your value out of that 1250 HP, and it's much less important to bring his red and purple higher, especially when paired with Patch or Punisher. Like Nonce said he's not great on defense, so I wouldn't worry about not having him at level 141 anyways, even at 5/3/3 he'll pair well with the strikers and give you nice, fast kills
  • In my experience, Mags was just as popular as Spidey.

Whether either character needs "nerfing", both of their blues need(ed) to be "fixed".
  • Dreylin
    Dreylin Posts: 241
    Just FYI, there's a Mags Blue at day135 (I know, because this is where I am today).
  • MTGOFerret wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that they said something about cmags not even being a priority anymore in light of the recent releases and that a xforce buff was a higher priority at this point

He should be, because Cmag+Patch is an instant win against any team. It's broken and needs to be fixed.
  • c mag needed to be nerf for a long time....

he is too strong and no doubt a broken character...

his two buddy have been destroyed...how he can stay alive alone....
  • A mags nerf "should" happen but isn't "needed," (like a rags nerf) in a pertinent fashion...especially as each new character has the clear and present danger of making this game a power creep. the issue is that the devs have given me 0 trust in thier ability to balance characters. Characters nerfs (big ones):

Loki: huge nerf, turned him into the worst 3*** in the game.

Storm. Turned an op 2** support.character into a much weaker, but still decent 2** character. Useing knowledge of changes that came later, her nerf was a good one. At the time though thor and wolvie were very strong and so her nerf was a pretty big deal. I'll give them.a pass on this one as they didn't touch her blue I don't think, allowing her to stay pretty decent. Still 2/2 on huge nerfing though.

Venom: his black never should have devoured the while team. So this was a good nerf, nit only because 1* should kinda suck. Regardless, another HUGE nerf. 3/3.

Rag. Hands down best character in the game (wasn't close), only defensively broken character they ha e ever released (didn't see Loki, so maybe him too). Like the t rex before whatever killed the dinosaurs. Then *whomp*, one day the nerf bat cometh and rag is the 2nd worst 3*** in the game. This gets a "bad." Yes, it was necessary and he certainly.needed needing, but yet again...the nerf was too big. 4/4.

Tholverine. Better handled than rag, which came out of nowhere with 0 compensation at all, but the comk was horrible for the change and they made them required literally RIGHT after ...multiple times...without telling ppl that they would be as a warning. -The thor nerf was pretty well made, and is the only nerf example where I think they did pretty well. His red was destroyed. 8 ap for pitiful damage and fewer yellow. He is a 2** so its okay it was that weak given his other 2 abilities. Yellow became a green builder AMD green became the end all move. Before his green sucked but his red Into yellow was insane damage for 18 ap given.that the red built.into the yellow and he was a 2**. 18 red basically.guaranteed you a thunder getting off. So 18 ap (the red) basically earned you 5.5k+ damage. For a character not named rag at the time that was too much for very little thought...and many times 12 red was good enough to earn a thunder. The new version was a nerf, as it slowed him down.considerably (in play he was worse than when you just simply looked at his stats) but he still had his uses and still had a solid yellow (though the damage was pitiful on.its own, at the time it was all there really was for yellow). I give this a thumbs up.
    -wolvie got the ish end of the stick. Red made considerably.stronger but a tad slower was a nice little bump, but.didn't meanuch. The new green was necessary, but it hurt...badly. not entirely not warranted though. The yeellow didn't Ned to happen. I give it a down, but its iffy and I could give it a pass as well. They just, yet again, nerfed too hard. 5/6.

Spidey. Talk.is recent so I won't reiterate. He is overly nerfed. 5/6.

So in the course of 6 heavy character changes they over nerfed 5 out of 6 times. Thor is a misnomer even as they didn't nerf him as much as basically restructured.his character.

So I guess, the only way I feel a nerf to mags won't be catastrophic is if they totally retool.him. otherwise, I expect his blue go be unusable, is red simply wasteful, and his purple nerfed and only.keeping.him.useable by the fact that its.the only damaging purple atm. Yes, they could keep is purple as is, make his blue cost 1 ap ...MAYBE 2 ap more and make his red become a 5 ap cheap version of hulk's green...but they won't. Because creating a power creep via nerfs makes.more.money then allowing.there fo be aan actual good og character.

When they ADD abilities, just as a side thought, they are ALWAYS oP. OBW black (op), Loki's move that the ended up nerf/removing (op), dakans New blue (I don't know.I'd I would say op, but once you nerf magneto? Yes it is..by comparison to other characters that damage to ap ratio ...plus being fast..is bonkers for a blue)..and spidey'purple (op with human use, not with computer use due to 2 ap blue)

So yea, they kinda suck at balancing.

Is rather them leave mags than butcher him, though a proper nerf would be best.
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 531 Critical Contributor
    Magneto is popular and fun, but he's not overused. I see Punisher, Lazy Thor, Hulk, and Patch more than I see Magneto in PvP. If there was another good cover for Purple, we'd see him even less. Right now, if you want to cover purple with a 3* team, you're pretty much going to be using Magneto or BWGS.

A minor nerf, such as raising the cost of his Blue by 1AP, would erase much of his unintended power without having much of a game effect.

I agree with pretty much all of this and (while I think it's unecessary) his red could cost 3 AP at level 5 & slightly up the damage or allow it to generate AP to compensate. This would reduce the Patch + C Mags combo that some dislike (although I never experience it when playing against the AI).

But either a major cost increase (more than 1 AP) for the blue or a radical re-conception of the ability would be a big mistake for what makes this character so fun to play.
  • Magneto isn't widely seen because his covers aren't given out very often.

His impact is less on PvP because shields hopping favors character who are extremely strong on defense (anyone can win pretty fast when you max boost which you'll be doing in a shield hop), and Magneto is only average on defense. He, along with Captain America, is godlike in PvE but people seem to care less about PvE in general.