*** Magneto (Classic) ***

Comments

• ender wrote:
    During the 3rd round of the simulator i used my lvl 50 (3/5/1) C Mags as an OBW replacement when she was locked out. This is the first time i have really used C Mags so i am not married to any one strategy, but in my opinion the nerf is needed to help eliminate the endless loop blue provides. best way to solve that is to have his blue power spawn red or purple protect tiles. this will force people to change C Mags strategy, but you can still keep the AP cost at 5 and have it be a feeder skill like GSBW's purple. This solves the biggest issue Mags has and eliminates the argument around what the AP cost should be to prevent the loop.

That's a great suggestion, simply change the color of the shields placed. Plus you could still use it in fun ways to turn blue into red or just keep the defense shields on the board.
  • Even better, make it a random color shield tile.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    You have to look at it from a programming aspect, they want to do the least intensive change for max results. This generally limits you to color changes, AP changes, damage numbers etc. I think a simple switch is only allow blue to change basic tiles, that alone will stop the insta spam as well as keep C.Mags from overwriting other tiles. It still allows C. Mags to do some blue spam, but requires a more optimal board to work, plus he could be countered like Modern Storm filling the tiles ups with attack tiles and C.Mags can't place anything. As a trade off the blue shields C. Mags spawns should have a higher defensive value. So in essence all your are doing is limiting the power of the placement and not the ability itself.
  • Is anyone pumping in ISO to level up Cmags, or are people generally waiting till the nerf bat hits to decide? I find it hard to make a decision since we know spidey is coming up soon, but there's no timeframe on Cmags.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    You have to look at it from a programming aspect, they want to do the least intensive change for max results. This generally limits you to color changes, AP changes, damage numbers etc. I think a simple switch is only allow blue to change basic tiles, that alone will stop the insta spam as well as keep C.Mags from overwriting other tiles. It still allows C. Mags to do some blue spam, but requires a more optimal board to work, plus he could be countered like Modern Storm filling the tiles ups with attack tiles and C.Mags can't place anything. As a trade off the blue shields C. Mags spawns should have a higher defensive value. So in essence all your are doing is limiting the power of the placement and not the ability itself.

Didn't one of the d3p guys say their goal is to eventually have no abilities costing under 6, or is that a forums urban legend?
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    gamar wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:

Didn't one of the d3p guys say their goal is to eventually have no abilities costing under 6, or is that a forums urban legend?

legend, just look at Human Torch, his green costs 5, after is first cast his Red only costs 6 AP after that (in theory)Psylocke's red can go to 5, I think abilties doing what some can for under 6 is done.
  • gamar wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:

Phaserhawk is right, Loki also has a 5 AP ability. This is a total urban legend which I think came about when they changed Ragnarok to 6 AP from 2.

I also agree make blue only affect basic tiles, easy fix. Then change red so it doesn't reduce AP costs with covers but instead boosts the damage and number of tiles. Done, cMags is fixed with minimal complaints. Of course they have to do Spiday at about the same time and scale the PVE way back as well.
  • Rorex wrote:
    gamar wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:

Phaserhawk is right, Loki also has a 5 AP ability. This is a total urban legend which I think came about when they changed Ragnarok to 6 AP from 2.

I also agree make blue only affect basic tiles, easy fix. Then change red so it doesn't reduce AP costs with covers but instead boosts the damage and number of tiles. Done, cMags is fixed with minimal complaints. Of course they have to do Spiday at about the same time and scale the PVE way back as well.

Storm's Red Ares' Green also only costs 5. Nobody cares since it's not "broken". The 6 AP rule was mentioned just to justify their sudden nerf to Rag.
  • I believe the number they used was 5
  • Bugpop wrote:
    I believe the number they used was 5

Yea, not an urban legend at the very least. No way to quote it though, as the official post was removed by the dev who posted it a few min later. It was posted as part of his rationale for why they nerfed ragnarok, and he gave WAY too much info fthan what he should havedone lol. If you find some of the rag nerfed ?!?!?!? Threads you will see ppl paraphrase it as if it were a direct quote though.

So yea, no reason his.blue couldn't stay 5 if it was somehow balanced better between off and def. I mean, I feel the move was always SUPPOSE to be defensive. Only 2 tiles, only.tile.drop.that could override all (except cpt shield), low ap, def tiles. I doubt it was ever meant to be used offensively besides being 2 extra blue for him to translocate. I already know there is a 95% anybody who uses mags will be very disappointed in him post.nerf....just as every post nerf character has been so far. More.of a reason to want to grab fury up as he covers purp/blue , has way more hp, and carries that 4**** prestige. Also having what might end up the best yellow in the game is a bonus too (my guess is it will be good, but too time consuming to obtain a maxed yellow effect).
  • entropic01 wrote:
    Rorex wrote:
    Moghwyn wrote:
    That's still an okay deal, you can still use it to trigger a match-5 to get some okay damage, 5 blue AP, 3 random AP, very likely 2 additional random crit AP plus their damage, and any cascade resulting from that
    Where do you get the 3 random AP from? Sure 5 blue and 2 or more from the crit but thats all. You don't make an extra match 3 guarnteed because you made a match 5

A line match 5 clears the row for 3 AP

Most of my match 5s with CMags are L shape, T shape or X shape, not Lines.
  • Here is hoping that if they do change him they will do so in a way that continues to make him fun. For me he is the most fun character in the game. Not because hes powerful, but because he modifies the board and no match is really ever the same because of this. His Purple can hit hard but its also situational depending on that board he can control. Its a very cool balance. I do think its very hard to come up with a way that keeps him fun and relevant. People that suggest changing the mana costs dont really get it IMO. The mana cost for mag or spidey is what makes them good yes. But its also what makes them not terrible. Its a very delicate balance.

Lazy Thor IMO is a better character right now. But he's boring. Mag is fun I hope he stays that way.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    bonebreak wrote:
    Here is hoping that if they do change him they will do so in a way that continues to make him fun. For me he is the most fun character in the game. Not because hes powerful, but because he modifies the board and no match is really ever the same because of this. His Purple can hit hard but its also situational depending on that board he can control. Its a very cool balance. I do think its very hard to come up with a way that keeps him fun and relevant. People that suggest changing the mana costs dont really get it IMO. The mana cost for mag or spidey is what makes them good yes. But its also what makes them not terrible. Its a very delicate balance.

Lazy Thor IMO is a better character right now. But he's boring. Mag is fun I hope he stays that way.

I think Mags is far better than LazyThor is on offense: LazyThor is just really really slow to get any of his moves off. C. Mags controls the entire board at 5 blue.
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 531 Critical Contributor
    I really don't think he needs changed primarily due to the way the AI plays him compared to an actual player.

I use him a lot in PvP & PvE but I don't get worried when I see him as an opponent in either setting.

Nerfing him would be overkill.
  • NorthernPolarity
    PorkBelly wrote:
    I really don't think he needs changed primarily due to the way the AI plays him compared to an actual player.

I use him a lot in PvP & PvE but I don't get worried when I see him as an opponent in either setting.

That's not a good reason to not nerf a character though. Consider a character whose ability read "if you use this ability on offense, you automatically win the match. The AI cannot use this ability on defense." Under your logic the character would be perfectly fine because you can still beat him on defense, but it doesn't mean that he isn't breaking the game and doesn't need to be nerfed.
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly wrote:

That's not a good reason to not nerf a character though. Consider a character whose ability read "if you use this ability on offense, you automatically win the match. The AI cannot use this ability on defense." Under your logic the character would be perfectly fine because you can still beat him on defense, but it doesn't mean that he isn't breaking the game and doesn't need to be nerfed.

I think it is a bit more complex than that.

1- I've lost matches playing C Mags before so there is no guarantee to win anything when playing him. I've also lost matches to him when the AI is in control.

2- The ecology of the game has developed with characters like C Mags & Spidey in play. I can't really comment on Spidey (the other character that most seem to complain about) since I don't have him. However, C Mags is definitely a tool that I need to rely on from time to time. The game has progressed to the point where I don't think I could win high level goon fights in PvE without him or OBW. Does that mean that they are overpowered? I don't think so but they represent a clear function within the current environment.

If you pull or nerf abilities from these characters without massive overhaul of the rest of the game, you run the risk of making it largely unplayable.

While I love MPQ, I don't think a strength of D3 involves calibrating the game particularly well in terms or mmr & scaling. C Mags & Spidey are characters that have been in the game for a looooong time. Messing with them too much (or at all) will likely impact the game that will do more harm than good.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2014
    Amatyr wrote:
    entropic01 wrote:
    Rorex wrote:
    Moghwyn wrote:
    That's still an okay deal, you can still use it to trigger a match-5 to get some okay damage, 5 blue AP, 3 random AP, very likely 2 additional random crit AP plus their damage, and any cascade resulting from that
    Where do you get the 3 random AP from? Sure 5 blue and 2 or more from the crit but thats all. You don't make an extra match 3 guarnteed because you made a match 5

A line match 5 clears the row for 3 AP

Most of my match 5s with CMags are L shape, T shape or X shape, not Lines.

Yes. Though most t shapes can be turned into a Line.

Xoo. oYo. (Edit to better line this part up)
    oXo. oYo. So, basically you play the tiles @Y and then the X tile that is now marked
    oXo. Zoo. As a Z is pushed to form a 5 match and give another turn. Ppl usually
    ....... oXo. Just see the partial T/L and think L though.
    ....... oXo

I still make t shapes more often, as you usually can make them drop into a nice guaranteed crit match that way, but lines have thier time as well. The point that assuming 5 matches give 3 ap, especially given its usually only 2 useful ap at best when a line IS made, being a little presumptuous I agree with though overall.

@northern. He doesn't break the game. Ppl throw around terms like game breaking too willynilly is he overpowered on offense? Sure. He certainly doesn't break the game though. Rag arguably broke the game. It was almost impossible to lose with him if the other team didn't have a ragnarok and on def he forced others to either boost, use rag themselves, or play very carefully and still maybe wipe. That was broken. Tholverine were op, not broken (though you could argue they were broken in a vacuum of only 2** at the time). Obw, op. L.thor, probably the closest to breaking the game, is merely op. Spidey is very op in pve, but even then its not game breaking. You can still lose. There are still characters worth running over him. The only thing I would give anything about the current game that is maybe "broken" is healing outside of matches (meaning prologue..its still a match though) because it circumvents the use of healthpacks. THAT is broken. It doesn't negatively effect players really, but its still what, if I were the devs, I would be willing to consider "broken.".

mags doesn't creates the "horrible scaling." I use mags basically every match. It hasn't negatively affected my scaling. I can only assume ppl with awful scaling have either grinded like dogs or healed with spidey (or more likey the culprit...obw..as every 2** team and thier mom has one). Even then, the real issue is a philosophic one from the devs. Removing spidey or mags will not lower your scaling, neither will obw. "Life will find a way" to keep winning in order to compete, and the only difference in scaling will be ppl won't have those 2-3 characters as an option.

A far better option would be to effectively nerf blue abilities in pve, or create a character who hard counters those characters with blue powers. I've stated elsewhere that implementing a new minion lvl thug who steals blue ap every turn would effectively neuter both characters without making them unusable. Sure, its hurts other user's blue, but really there are no characters with good blue that are not "too good.no love lost for obw Spiderman healing and upping tiles, and basucally all.other blue are either weak or ineffective except cap. As an enemy, forcing diversification.of a team is good anyway. As for a character with a hard nerf, maybe one of thier abilities costs 7 blue to deal x damage and steal up to 5 blue. Your blue keeps them from getting thier blue, and there is some pittance of damage attached too. Or an ability that turns blue tiles into yellow tiles passively. All sorts of things they can do.

That's not to say mags shouldn't be nerfed. His red should stay in the boundary of ap they have stated they want. Make it cost 5-6, and buff it as necessary. His blue could use changing too. Not the dramatic crushing some want, but a slight tipping from being able to combo into itself so much, or an utterly new set-up to make it a defensive juggernaut as I assume its original purpose was. Also, defensive ability needs fo be taken into account when considering balance. While you are right, having an auto win on off but no def doesn't work for balance, having a glass cannon, as I consider magneto, is fine. Heck, one of the better ideas imo would be to drop his hp, make his blue cost 6, and then give it a little better def to make him closer to something like torch, who clearly fits that offensive glass cannon role (personally, j don't like his abilities though).
  • NorthernPolarity
    PorkBelly wrote:
    PorkBelly wrote:

I think it is a bit more complex than that.

1- I've lost matches playing C Mags before so there is no guarantee to win anything when playing him. I've also lost matches to him when the AI is in control.

2- The ecology of the game has developed with characters like C Mags & Spidey in play. I can't really comment on Spidey (the other character that most seem to complain about) since I don't have him. However, C Mags is definitely a tool that I need to rely on from time to time. The game has progressed to the point where I don't think I could win high level goon fights in PvE without him or OBW. Does that mean that they are overpowered? I don't think so but they represent a clear function within the current environment.

If you pull or nerf abilities from these characters without massive overhaul of the rest of the game, you run the risk of making it largely unplayable.

While I love MPQ, I don't think a strength of D3 involves calibrating the game particularly well in terms or mmr & scaling. C Mags & Spidey are characters that have been in the game for a looooong time. Messing with them too much (or at all) will likely impact the game that will do more harm than good.

1. Right, C. Mags on offense is clearly not an automatic "I Win" button, but his power level on offense is well beyond what any other character in the game (except Spidey) can must up at this point. If you want to your game to be balanced and promote character diversity, you can't have characters in the game that are just miles beyond what any other character in the game can do.

2. I think C. Mags is beyond a tool that you use from time to time though. It would be one thing if C. Mags was used only to deal with countdown tiles, but his power comes from being able to do so much more than that.

An example to highlight C. Mags overpoweredness: suppose that you were placed in a match against level 400 enemies, what characters would you use to beat them? Since the enemies at that point have 20k+ hp each, traditionally "overpowered" damage based characters such as LazyThor don't really do the trick anymore because 3.4k damage on call the storm doesn't really matter against enemies that have that much hp and can destroy you with autoattacks. I would think that that battle would be impossible to do without either C. Mags or Spidey. Why these two characters in particular? The thing that makes them so good is that they can do what no other character in the game can do, which is take an absurd amount of extra turns for virtually no AP cost. If you consider what taking extra turns is in MPQ, it's really dealing some match damage and getting some AP to use for abilities. C. Mags at 5 blue would generate you 3 random AP on a match-4 for a net cost of 1 blue AP, or generate you a crit tile (which leads to an insane amount of environmental AP or 2 AP and a lot of damage) for free off of a match-5 in blue. Spidey costs you 2 blue AP to stun the opponent for eventually 5 turns, which basically equates to spending 4 blue AP to stun 2 people on their team and take 5 extra turns. No other ability in the game does this with the consistency that these two can do it at, and thats why these characters are the only ones that can consistently take down absurdly high level teams.

C. Mags and Spidey are fundamentally overpowered because of this, and should be nerfed accordingly.

I also don't think that a massive overhaul of the game would be needed. I think you're concerned that without C. Mags, matches that you would be able to complete with him (high level goon fights) would otherwise be impossible to do. Some points to counteract this: 1. The devs are giving us more characters that have abilities to deal with situations like this (Falcon). Secondly, if an encounter is only able to be completed with the use of a single, specific character, thats probably a good sign that the character was broken in the first place. I feel like most of the crazy personal scaling issues that people were seeing were brought by Spidey/C. Mags trivializing fights. You take those characters away, and those scaling problems naturally go away.
  • NorthernPolarity
    @northern. He doesn't break the game. Ppl throw around terms like game breaking too willynilly is he overpowered on offense? Sure. He certainly doesn't break the game though. Rag arguably broke the game. It was almost impossible to lose with him if the other team didn't have a ragnarok and on def he forced others to either boost, use rag themselves, or play very carefully and still maybe wipe. That was broken. Tholverine were op, not broken (though you could argue they were broken in a vacuum of only 2** at the time). Obw, op. L.thor, probably the closest to breaking the game, is merely op. Spidey is very op in pve, but even then its not game breaking. You can still lose. There are still characters worth running over him. The only thing I would give anything about the current game that is maybe "broken" is healing outside of matches (meaning prologue..its still a match though) because it circumvents the use of healthpacks. THAT is broken. It doesn't negatively effect players really, but its still what, if I were the devs, I would be willing to consider "broken.".

You got me. When you read my past posts, retroactively replace "breaking the game" to "extremely overpowered".
    mags doesn't creates the "horrible scaling." I use mags basically every match. It hasn't negatively affected my scaling. I can only assume ppl with awful scaling have either grinded like dogs or healed with spidey (or more likey the culprit...obw..as every 2** team and thier mom has one). Even then, the real issue is a philosophic one from the devs. Removing spidey or mags will not lower your scaling, neither will obw. "Life will find a way" to keep winning in order to compete, and the only difference in scaling will be ppl won't have those 2-3 characters as an option.

Mags enables people to grind out nodes because they take considerably less damage when using Mags than when using any other character in the game with the exception of OBW/Spidey. Scaling occurs when your characters take little to no damage in matches, and OBW/Spidey/C. Mags are the only characters that can consistently guarantee this.
    A far better option would be to effectively nerf blue abilities in pve, or create a character who hard counters those characters with blue powers. I've stated elsewhere that implementing a new minion lvl thug who steals blue ap every turn would effectively neuter both characters without making them unusable. Sure, its hurts other user's blue, but really there are no characters with good blue that are not "too good.no love lost for obw Spiderman healing and upping tiles, and basucally all.other blue are either weak or ineffective except cap. As an enemy, forcing diversification.of a team is good anyway. As for a character with a hard nerf, maybe one of thier abilities costs 7 blue to deal x damage and steal up to 5 blue. Your blue keeps them from getting thier blue, and there is some pittance of damage attached too. Or an ability that turns blue tiles into yellow tiles passively. All sorts of things they can do.

Seems like that sidesteps the issue instead of tackling it head on. Why bandage the problem when you can fix the source?
    That's not to say mags shouldn't be nerfed. His red should stay in the boundary of ap they have stated they want. Make it cost 5-6, and buff it as necessary. His blue could use changing too. Not the dramatic crushing some want, but a slight tipping from being able to combo into itself so much, or an utterly new set-up to make it a defensive juggernaut as I assume its original purpose was. Also, defensive ability needs fo be taken into account when considering balance. While you are right, having an auto win on off but no def doesn't work for balance, having a glass cannon, as I consider magneto, is fine. Heck, one of the better ideas imo would be to drop his hp, make his blue cost 6, and then give it a little better def to make him closer to something like torch, who clearly fits that offensive glass cannon role (personally, j don't like his abilities though).

Blue costing 6 or 7 would probably balance the character out. 5 blue lets you literally go infinite with match 5s. Match 6s or 7s are obviously a lot harder to get, and would tone down the ability significantly since the amount of extra turns you get is drastically reduced. Boosting red to 5 or 6 AP also sounds good.
  • PorkBelly
    1. Right, C. Mags on offense is clearly not an automatic "I Win" button, but his power level on offense is well beyond what any other character in the game (except Spidey) can must up at this point. If you want to your game to be balanced and promote character diversity, you can't have characters in the game that are just miles beyond what any other character in the game can do.

2. I think C. Mags is beyond a tool that you use from time to time though. It would be one thing if C. Mags was used only to deal with countdown tiles, but his power comes from being able to do so much more than that.

An example to highlight C. Mags overpoweredness: suppose that you were placed in a match against level 400 enemies, what characters would you use to beat them? Since the enemies at that point have 20k+ hp each, traditionally "overpowered" damage based characters such as LazyThor don't really do the trick anymore because 3.4k damage on call the storm doesn't really matter against enemies that have that much hp and can destroy you with autoattacks. I would think that that battle would be impossible to do without either C. Mags or Spidey. Why these two characters in particular? The thing that makes them so good is that they can do what no other character in the game can do, which is take an absurd amount of extra turns for virtually no AP cost. If you consider what taking extra turns is in MPQ, it's really dealing some match damage and getting some AP to use for abilities. C. Mags at 5 blue would generate you 3 random AP on a match-4 for a net cost of 1 blue AP, or generate you a crit tile (which leads to an insane amount of environmental AP or 2 AP and a lot of damage) for free off of a match-5 in blue. Spidey costs you 2 blue AP to stun the opponent for eventually 5 turns, which basically equates to spending 4 blue AP to stun 2 people on their team and take 5 extra turns. No other ability in the game does this with the consistency that these two can do it at, and thats why these characters are the only ones that can consistently take down absurdly high level teams.

C. Mags and Spidey are fundamentally overpowered because of this, and should be nerfed accordingly.

I also don't think that a massive overhaul of the game would be needed. I think you're concerned that without C. Mags, matches that you would be able to complete with him (high level goon fights) would otherwise be impossible to do. Some points to counteract this: 1. The devs are giving us more characters that have abilities to deal with situations like this (Falcon). Secondly, if an encounter is only able to be completed with the use of a single, specific character, thats probably a good sign that the character was broken in the first place. I feel like most of the crazy personal scaling issues that people were seeing were brought by Spidey/C. Mags trivializing fights. You take those characters away, and those scaling problems naturally go away.

I feel we're probably just going to ultimately disagree but a few more points.

You state that the strength & unfairness of the C Mags is that he creates multiple attacks per turn. I'm not sure why this is not seen as a legitimate mechanic to be exploited within the game. We already have characters like the Hood who have powers that prematurely end your turn. I'd love to see a Kang time traveler character that explicitly uses this mechanic as a power.

In addition, I'm all for the developers giving us multiple ways to solve the same problem with characters like Falcon. It definitely improves variety in gameplay.

Another point I would make is that this is a superhero game. It should expressly make you feel powerful once you go through the significant time, luck, & play to acquire one of the rare 3* characters. I like feeling powerful whether it's with Lazy Thor's Call the Storm or BP's Rage of the Panther, or Patch's Best There Is. Both C. Mags & Spidey are rare characters. Any cover for these characters is a 0.9% chance from a heroic token! And you need 13 of them! That's opening roughly 1300 tokens to fully cover C Mags! Until very recently, getting into the top 50 in PvP was a tricky prospect for me. Understanding the meta helps a lot but I feel like top players end up with a skewed perspective regarding the difficulty it takes to max these characters without dropping massive coin. So when I get a rare character maxed, I feel like he should dramatically change my gameplay experience.