New Feature: Bonus Heroes! *Updated (3/1/17)

Comments

• kyo28
    kyo28 Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Magic wrote:
    One thing I am curious about is the whales feedback. I haven't seen a comment from a known whale (eg. You Know Who) on this subject (or I didn't know they are whales). It kind of fuels my conspiracy wheels as it sounds more and more this was consulted with the big spenders. Or demanded by big spenders. Who know? Surely not us as we don't get any feedback.
    Of course not. It's a well-known-supposed-to-be-secret fact that the biggest whales have a direct line to the devs. No need to post on forum, they just put them on conference call.
    This is not speculation, this is fact coming directly from one of said whales. And this fact alone shows how much more weight the opinion of big whales carries compared to us small grunts.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2017
    Magic wrote:
    One thing I am curious about is the whales feedback. I haven't seen a comment from a known whale (eg. You Know Who) on this subject (or I didn't know they are whales). It kind of fuels my conspiracy wheels as it sounds more and more this was consulted with the big spenders. Or demanded by big spenders. Who know? Surely not us as we don't get any feedback.

Not scientific, but many of forumites posting in support of these changes are on the very strong end of the whale/vet/roster strength spectrum.

And that largely makes sense. The big whales have multiple 5*s champed, and most of their 4*s champs are very well developed, 350+. Adding a 5% chance of trageted covers is great for everyone. And focusing LT pulls on newer 4*s at the cost of older 4*s doesn't really cause any problems if your old 4*s at or near 370 (and if you often finish top 10/5 in pve/pvp events and don't depend on LT pulls as much to build older 4*). No wonder they are mostly happy about the change. They liked vaulting more than most players the first time too.
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    After week to digest this my reaction is

43219566.jpg
  • Freelancer
    Freelancer Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Was there ever any reason why the Bonus Heroes scheme wasn't applied to 2* characters as well?

A 5% chance of an extra 2* would go well towards helping counter the current abysmal 2* PvP drop rate.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Freelancer wrote:
    Was there ever any reason why the Bonus Heroes scheme wasn't applied to 2* characters as well?

A 5% chance of an extra 2* would go well towards helping counter the current abysmal 2* PvP drop rate.

Imagine if the only BH you ever got from a Heroic were 2*. That...would not be happymaking.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    Freelancer wrote:

imagine all ur bonus only being 2* and no 3*/4*.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Should just allow 2 stars to allow the ability to trigger a bonus hero draw, would help the sting of getting 2s and make the bonus hero effect more felt.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Freelancer wrote:

That would still be a step up from not getting any bonus heroes though and would ease the horrible run of nothing but 2* from heroics that I am on right now.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,603 Chairperson of the Boards
    Freelancer wrote:

It's a random chance, not an either/or thing. Having bonus 2*s doesn't deny bonus 3*s or 4*s. It means that all those times you get a 2* (and aren't eligible for a bonus 3*/4* in the first place), you might still get a bonus 2* to make getting a 2* in the first place less boring.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Left the game for a year. Decided to check the forums. Looks like The devs are still implementing features that everyone hates with little to no notice and little explanation, then saying they'll listen to feedback and walking away. Glad to see nothing's changed!
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    kyo28 wrote:
    Magic wrote:
    Of course not. It's a well-known-supposed-to-be-secret fact that the biggest whales have a direct line to the devs. No need to post on forum, they just put them on conference call.
    This is not speculation, this is fact coming directly from one of said whales. And this fact alone shows how much more weight the opinion of big whales carries compared to us small grunts.

Seriously?
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Was the vaulting decision with 4*s was probably prompted by the playerbase's recent shift to focusing on latest LTs to enter the 5* tier as vlassic dilition really took hold?

If so, there is an obvious problem with the analogy: 5*s stil take a very long time to build, but with just 12 in the tokens it will be a real race to keep the latest 4*s champed as quickly as possible.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,603 Chairperson of the Boards
    kyo28 wrote:
    Magic wrote:

Seriously?

Definitely. I got a nasty PM from a whale when Strange came out, because there was some confusion about the release, and I said people shouldn't make assumptions on unannounced and unreleased info, since it could change prior to release. I was basically told that they had a direct line to the dev team and thus knew better and it didn't count as an assumption.

Whales may fund the game and keep it going for the rest of us, but they very clearly have their fingers in the pie and are capable of stinking it up for the rest of us, too. (not saying it DOES happen, I'm just saying they're connected enough that it COULD)
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd probably try to keep the people who pay my salary happy too.
  • 8punch
    8punch Posts: 97 Match Maker
    i dont see a problem that the whales have a say in how the game goes. after i see a roster like dreadnaught and i think how much money he must have spend on this game, i see it only logical he and other big spenders have a say in this game.

actually i even wonder why someone dreadnaught and other whales not start up their own game company and create their own game?
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am always wondering what is the incentive for the whales to play and pay. They get to win the events? In PvE it still takes hours of grinding on a schedule against a difficult scaling. And in PvP it still takes hours of matches worth 20-50 points to climb high enough to win the event. So even whaling everything and maxing everything doesn't give the rewards on a plate. And the rewards are meaningless to the whales as they already have all that they give. Strange.
  • killercool
    killercool Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    8punch wrote:
    i dont see a problem that the whales have a say in how the game goes. after i see a roster like dreadnaught and i think how much money he must have spend on this game, i see it only logical he and other big spenders have a say in this game.

actually i even wonder why someone dreadnaught and other whales not start up their own game company and create their own game?

It is still important that the whale food is looked after. If all the krill leave there is nothing left for the whales to feed on (other than fellow whales) - and then the whales will leave too. So D3 understand they need to keep both the whales and the krill happy.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    killercool wrote:
    8punch wrote:

It is still important that the whale food is looked after. If all the krill leave there is nothing left for the whales to feed on (other than fellow whales) - and then the whales will leave too. So D3 understand they need to keep both the whales and the krill happy.
    That's what MMR does.
    Whales only see each other except when going for high points early in an event.
    Krill is 95% whale-proof.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Magic wrote:
    I am always wondering what is the incentive for the whales to play and pay. They get to win the events? In PvE it still takes hours of grinding on a schedule against a difficult scaling. And in PvP it still takes hours of matches worth 20-50 points to climb high enough to win the event. So even whaling everything and maxing everything doesn't give the rewards on a plate. And the rewards are meaningless to the whales as they already have all that they give. Strange.

Got to agree. I play this game for casual entertainment. I have supported it with money over the 2 and a half years of playing but I struggle to understand why anyone would put the sort of money whales put into it. Its still a lot of hard work whether you have a 2* roster or every 5*.
  • kyo28
    kyo28 Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Magic wrote:

Got to agree. I play this game for casual entertainment. I have supported it with money over the 2 and a half years of playing but I struggle to understand why anyone would put the sort of money whales put into it. Its still a lot of hard work whether you have a 2* roster or every 5*.
    Yes and no. Some whales have assistants playing for them. So the assistants need to play the grind so the whale can enjoy the fun matches on his/her free time. Not saying all whales are like this but some are.

I also understand from a business point of view that whales need to be catered to and have more of a say. Money talks and it is a business after all. But I don't understand why D3 can't implement changes that cater to both. I mean, give the whales the opportunity to pull only latest covers but give little players the opportunity to choose from other packs if they want.

But, shortsighted as they are they rushed, again, to implement a change that caters to the whales and forget about the krill. Sad, really.