Gauntlet prizes are pathetic

Comments

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crowl wrote:
    smkspy wrote:
    Got the 4 star last night and finished the essentials from the first two subs this morning. Guess I'll slowly green check away for the next couple of days. A lot of experience points to be had, just a wee bit too much effort to have the same devotion as the first play thru.

What was needed to get the 4* this time, was it just a complete clear of the final sub (or even just the main path), I automatically cleared each node once due to that being needed in the past.

Yeah, just once of the main path and all essential (quake and 3bullseye). My only real gripe with gauntlet is the choice of essentials. Squirrel girl, blade, and bullseye...I think they should always favor the commonly rostered 3s especially since essential are 100% vital to making progression for this event.
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    Only good thing about this gauntlet run is, that every game rewards 500 iso8. So that makes quite a lot iso8 at least.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    It's especially strange because it'd be so easy to fix: There's no placement, so just add progression rewards. Specifically, put 'em in for doing two full clears of a sub:

- Sub 1: First full clear currently earns an event token - Second full clear should earn a 3* cover
    - Sub 2: First full clear currently earns a 3* - Second full clear should earn a 4* cover
    - Sub 3: First full clear currently earns a 4* cover - Second full clear should earn an additional 4* (or 25 CP - I'm easy)*

The system works because it's pretty closely linked to roster strength. A weak roster can clear all three subs once, but it's gonna take a while, so you'll really have to work for that final 4*; alternatively, you can have a decent 3-4* transition and still struggle in sub 3, so a 4* for two clears of sub 2 still earns you the 4* you'd expect from other PVE events. And yes, doubling the whole thing gets you three 4*s - so what? As others have pointed out, ISO rewards are weak overall, placement is nonexistent, and it lasts a week - the deficit SHOULD be made up somewhere, right?

So what about if you do THREE clears? Nothin'. Don't get greedy.

*I'd say a second full clear of Sub 3 should earn ya a 5*, but I'm optimistic, not naive.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wish they'd put CP in at the very least, and a 5* at the end would make it one of the -most- played events instead of one of the least played events.

Considering how rarely we see it anymore, I assume it must be one of the lesser played events.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pylgrim wrote:
    While I agree that rewards could be more attractive, I don't see that much to complain about.

For me it's the fact I only needed one Quake cover and since she was a placement reward in the previous PvE (which I missed out on by 88 points) I would have completed her in the next PvE's progression. But she's not in this PvE...so I'm screwed.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am just going to assume that since the Strange PVE rewards were so rich (Double tokens per sub!) that they had to scale it down by following it up with unrewarding Gauntlet.
  • dpoch
    dpoch Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    How is the 4* reward Cage?! Quake was next but now she will be passed up... I am more annoyed at this than anything else. I do not need Cage's yellow since mine is 4/0/4.. I prefer to not bust my **** for his 5th yellow because I will likely pull the 5th from tokens (and likely many times).

Looks like a mini-vacation for me and that's the best reward! icon_e_biggrin.gif

The game is designed to mess with me specifically.
    When Ghost Rider's green was likely a progression reward, meaning I'd finally get to 13 covers for him, his progression was skipped because we had Boss Rush, I believe.
    So now that my Quake is finally at 12 covers after getting the progression in PvP, and my placement in the current PvE is anything between 8th-14th when I'm done, I was relying on the next PvE to have Quake as a reward for progression, either yellow or green would have been fine, but with blue I'd just buy her last cover.

And now...they put Cage at the end?

I'm trying to remember the previous Gauntlet. Did they have a 4* cover as a node completion reward before? Quake's a required character, they can't *not* give you the 4* required, can they?
    This. I wish Quake was the 4* reward as well -- too many yellow Cage for me, while I just reached 13 covers for Quake & would like to champ her (with what would have been an LT champ-level bonus to boot from this event). Gah...!
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    JackTenrec wrote:
    Actually I disagree. It took me just over 1 and half hours in 1 day to get the gauntlet prize. In a normal pve that usually takes 3 or 4 hours over the span of 3 or 4 days. As a person who usually only plays to the 4* cover that is quite clearly way less effort.

That can't be a typical experience. Most rosters will run out of health packs long before clearing all three subevents even once -- the whole reason it's such a long event is because most people need to let health packs regenerate before a second attempt at that killer node that wiped them (and the one after that, and the one after that). I'd even suspect that most people can't clear Gauntlet in a day, let alone one and a half hours.

Even if I didn't have all the boosted 4s champed for this event you could easily winfinite your way through it now there's no restriction , it wouldn't be my trail blazing 1 and half hour time but I still bet it's way less than it takes to get the 4* in a normal pve.

Polares I can see your point on getting less rewards from a 7 day span than normal but honestly with how religiously some treat this game like a job people could probably do with jumping off the hamster wheel for a week and spend some time with your family. Everyone is always complaining about how much time they spend in this game and here is an opportunity to take a break and miss nothing. Me? I went aggressive inline skating with my gf and did some sweet coping grinds instead of pve grinds.
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    Mostly I find myself annoyed that I'm not getting HP every day like this. CP is great, but I've accepted the scarcity of that a bit more, while I already feel the pinch of not having extra daily HP to hoard or spend.

I think the easy first order fix they could make for this is just to make it less long. A good number of people have already finished it, and it's going to be running for days more after this.
  • chrisH
    chrisH Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    SO the thing I find most annoying is I don't have 3* Bullseye. And I don't want him. there is no way to earn him via progression in Gauntlet. He should be a top prize for the second instance of missions. because of this I can not progress to the 4* cover I actually want. This is not the first issue with Gauntlet I remember when 4* Mr fantastic was a required node after he was released and I did not want him either due to his gimpy abilities. I have not been able to complete the past 3 gauntlets due to not having some junky character or another and I have over 100 characters on the roster. I totally agree with an overhaul of this event and if they are going to keep the required character model at least make the 2 and 3 star characters prizes in the first rounds.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes! Pushed past subs 1 & 2, made it to sub 3, beat simulation 31, and got my Ares! So worth the effort!... not.

There should not be 2* progression rewards in gauntlet except in sub1 and it should be the essential.

I agree the rewards are not worth the effort. Its a challenge for the sake of a challenge... and that just isn't enough incentive.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am just going to assume that since the Strange PVE rewards were so rich (Double tokens per sub!) that they had to scale it down by following it up with unrewarding Gauntlet.
    The Matchmaking PvP also had a lot more CP rewards than a normal PvP, so as a whole I think the haul is about normal this week, just distributed differently.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    JVReal wrote:
    I agree the rewards are not worth the effort. Its a challenge for the sake of a challenge... and that just isn't enough incentive.

Honestly I know I am in the minority but the challenge for the sake of a challenge is exactly what I like about Gauntlet. 95% of the time PVE isn't about challenge it is about quickly clearing so you can efficiently (read quickly) grind for rewards. Gauntlet turns that on it's head. The time allotted is more than reasonable even when considering that you will run concurrently with other events and all of the rewards are available through progression. Is it less loot than you would get hitting top ten in a normal event yes. Is it a thousand times less grindy than a normal event, emphatically yes.

Rewards are awesome and they keep the hamster wheel running, but every now and then a challenge is a nice diversion from the norm.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    chrisH wrote:
    SO the thing I find most annoying is I don't have 3* Bullseye. And I don't want him.

Why not? He's a really good character.
    You could always champ a 2* Bullseye and hope you get enough covers for a free 3* Bullseye before the time's up.
  • TheZeusBear
    TheZeusBear Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Well, this sucks. Grinded a few days to finally reach the end since I wanted to see if my roster could do it. Beat every node once but now I'm one node shy of the 4*. Can't obtain it since Quake is required. Ouch. Was a challenge getting here too with my team.

https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/TheZeusBear/
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    So what about if you do THREE clears? Nothin'. Don't get greedy.

*I'd say a second full clear of Sub 3 should earn ya a 5*, but I'm optimistic, not naive.

Assuming they didn't go crazy and go with your 5* suggestion, a better option would be to move the 2nd clear rewards to the 3rd clear, it would move the additional rewards to a time vs reward balance that they would be more happy with than the 2nd.
  • Capmarv86
    Capmarv86 Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    Gauntlet is one of the worst events in this game. I never play it for the sole reason of the terrible rewards. I have tried to play it but it just gets boring to me.
  • Teskal
    Teskal Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    The Gauntlet is not the worst event. The idea itself is pretty cool.

I like it to have very different enemy teams to fight. Not like in other events, which have only few enemies.

What is not ok:
    - Scaling
    It should be hard for everyone to reach the end, but not impossible. For me it ended in Simulation 34. Peggy, Medusa and Gwen are to much for my roster, I have no idea how to fight them and win and I tried. Even a member of my alliance with a much better roster with few champed 4*and nearly all 3* champed stopped here.

There should be different SCL to make it possible even for beginners to have fun till the end.

Also a 4* should not have the same level in scaling as a 3* or 2*. A level 229 enemy group should not have level 228 for 1*, 2*, 3* and up. The fight value of a 4* is normally much better as a 2*.

- Prices
    in a normaly PVE event, SCL 7 you get in 6 days normally
    2x 4*
    some 3*
    lot more CP
    lots more iso-8 every day
    (normally I make 20k-30k every day. In the moment ~4k iso-8)
    400-600 HP (incl. chapter prices)
    and at the end of a subchapter and final end lot of tokens, covers and iso-8, depending on you placement.

Gauntlet is 7 days and the prices are ridiculous compared to 2 normal events. (Same problem in events like Civil War) and most Gauntlet prices are not even reachable. There is no easy 4* to get in Gauntlet.

The Gauntlet really need rework. Especially the scaling, but this also for other events.
    For players without a really good 4* roster, this event means after the first day, 6 other days without PVE.
  • TeamStewie
    TeamStewie Posts: 357 Mover and Shaker
    I'm bored. Can we get a real PVE going already? icon_e_sad.gif
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, after green checking everything, I'm kinda left wondering what to do. Played Pvp to 575, so all I have left is simulator and it is much too early in the season to play it. Gotta wait three more days for the next event, I sure hope not.