*** Daken (Classic) ***

Comments

• Ooo... A third ability? That's the least lazy of the lazy releases!
  • locked wrote:
    IceIX has said that one of the new chars will be a 3* and another a 4*, we had thought that Torch would be 4* but apparently not.

The next character after that is going to be Falcon, kamahl from my alliance was at pax and they announced it over there, personally i would prefer they made the winter soldier, pve needs new villains
  • Where did IceIX say their will be a third ability? I can't find it.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    GT-47LM wrote:
    Where did IceIX say their will be a third ability? I can't find it.

Check the first post. Notice the blue question marks below his last skill and the IceIX ninja edit.
  • Oooohhhh, sounds spooky. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

His blue looks like a double-edged sword so far, since getting blue to use his ability would decrease Dakens health, but I wonder if it's going to be a passive or not.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    GT-47LM wrote:
    Oooohhhh, sounds spooky. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

His blue looks like a double-edged sword so far, since getting blue to use his ability would decrease Dakens health, but I wonder if it's going to be a passive or not.
    6 is pretty low, odds are you'll have almost that many in unmatchable places anyway
  • 67 max tile damage would mean he should be a 3* instead of a 4* (max tile damage 70).
  • locked wrote:
    IceIX has said that one of the new chars will be a 3* and another a 4*, we had thought that Torch would be 4* but apparently not.

The next character after that is going to be Falcon, kamahl from my alliance was at pax and they announced it over there, personally i would prefer they made the winter soldier, pve needs new villains

What!? Weak... 4**** ?
  • So Daken currently plays with

Purple - Passive skill + Match damage
    Black - Passive skill + Match damage
    Yellow - Triggers regeneration
    Green - Triggers strike tiles
    Red - <place strike tile here>

If his last skill is Blue (which hopefully finds a use for his store of Purple/Black), he'll be our first character that truly has a use for every color on the board... which is pretty darned cool.
  • Doragon wrote:
    So Daken currently plays with

If his last skill is Blue (which hopefully finds a use for his store of Purple/Black), he'll be our first character that truly has a use for every color on the board... which is pretty darned cool.

According to the post, Daken doesn't rely on yellow tiles anymore for regeneration, it's blue now. I guess he's the closest to using all colors?
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    GT-47LM wrote:
    Doragon wrote:
    So Daken currently plays with

According to the post, Daken doesn't rely on yellow tiles anymore for regeneration, it's blue now. I guess he's the closest to using all colors?

Makes me want to play with 3 Dakens all on the same team. Can you imagine that chaos?
  • Depending on blue tiles on regen means regen is a very weak ability right now, because blue is pretty much the premier color overall right now. There's just no way you'd be leaving blue tiles up for the opponent to have a chance to collect them for ATU, not to mention your own ATU/Magnetic Field needs them too. Even in some hypothetically balanced world where 2 blue matches do not end up winning the game, it's likely still worse than yellow because yellow is only valuable to one person (lazy Thor), and while lazy Thor is incredibly powerful, he's still just one guy.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX mentioned http://marvel.com/comics/issue/5821/wol ... ns_2006_10 might be the cover.
  • And his character graphic is also just a giant bloody fist icon_lol.gif
  • Dreylin
    Dreylin Posts: 241
    Called it! A trade-off 3rd ability for risk/reward.

I am sooo sick of seeing him, but now I'm not actively dreading the new Daken....
  • Katai
    Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Phantron wrote:
    Depending on blue tiles on regen means regen is a very weak ability right now, because blue is pretty much the premier color overall right now. There's just no way you'd be leaving blue tiles up for the opponent to have a chance to collect them for ATU, not to mention your own ATU/Magnetic Field needs them too. Even in some hypothetically balanced world where 2 blue matches do not end up winning the game, it's likely still worse than yellow because yellow is only valuable to one person (lazy Thor), and while lazy Thor is incredibly powerful, he's still just one guy.

It also puts Daken in the odd position of leveling up a skill that isn't very good. Unless the Regen is at 5, he's at a higher risk of suffering from the self-imposed heat damage.
  • TheVulture
    TheVulture Posts: 411 Mover and Shaker
    Katai wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Depending on blue tiles on regen means regen is a very weak ability right now, because blue is pretty much the premier color overall right now. There's just no way you'd be leaving blue tiles up for the opponent to have a chance to collect them for ATU, not to mention your own ATU/Magnetic Field needs them too. Even in some hypothetically balanced world where 2 blue matches do not end up winning the game, it's likely still worse than yellow because yellow is only valuable to one person (lazy Thor), and while lazy Thor is incredibly powerful, he's still just one guy.

It also puts Daken in the odd position of leveling up a skill that isn't very good. Unless the Regen is at 5, he's at a higher risk of suffering from the self-imposed heat damage.

Hmm; that is quite A Big Deal - normally risks might scale with rewards, but in Daken's case the power is just a downright liability until levelled...
    I think people will be wise to just hold off on using those covers until the point of expiry, since he'll be better off with a lower level cap than constantly losing his health (unless his blue is an Ares style move that gets stronger the less health he has).
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Doom is the counter for the new Daken, right?

I really need a blue cover for him now.
  • Did some statisical analysis of 2*Daken and I would say at max lvl 3* Daken should be getting two 88 strength strike tiles per green match. Not 100% because I don't have a base level, 1 cover Daken to use in the analysis. So if someone does please post the strike tile strength and I will re-evaluate. Numbers seem reasonable in comparision to Patch. 3 green matches to use Patch and creates 6 tiles with 148 strength for allies and opponents (888). 3 matches with Daken will get six 88 strength tiles (528). So less damage but no strike tiles for the opponent. Hopefully the blue is something good.
  • I really don't get why people are always complaining about P2W and in this thread you might as well sum up most viewpoints on Daken as 'when can we get our P2W character?'

Daken 2* currently generates 2 104 strike tiles at level 195. Scale this to level 141 you get 2X75 strike tiles. And people are thinking he should generate 2X86 strike tiles at 141 as a 3*? Keep in mind that 2* always outstripped 3* in offensive abilities in comparable cases. Ares at 125 is far more powerful than any nonbroken 3* and he's certainly nowhere near broken amongst 2*. A level 125 OBW can fill in as a capable subsitute for Spiderman, a character who is responsible for crazy mechanisms invented in PvE to reduce his dominance. And here we're talking about Daken, a pereenial powerhouse at high levels and likely the bane of all PvE events. His 2* version, when scaled to high levels, is already one of the most powerful characters in the game, and you want a character who is even stronger than characters who aren't even supposed to be able to scale to 141 because they would be too powerful otherwise?

The demands on this Daken is akin to asking having someone with more HP than Juggernaut at 230 and also do more damage because Juggernaut is only a 1*, or a 3* Storm that is stronger than Modern Storm at level 141 (who would be absolutely insane if she could hit level 141).