Upcoming Patch Preview - R50 Discussion

Options

Comments

• HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    locked wrote:
    Well one can argue that if an alliance can't survive that, it shouldn't have rubberbanded together in the first place.
    Fixed.
  • I'll ask this here since it seems like the most relevant topic and no need to create a new one.

Any plans in the near term to allow alliance expansion past 20 members?
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    ^ God please no. A better move would be to decrease alliance slots prices significantly, make them fixed. Alliance rewards are amazing and tons of people miss out on them, but if more people can afford to expand to 20, we'll see more competition and it will be quite interesting. The net profits for the devs will easily double or triple. Many 20 man alliances that have been slacking will have to compete more or choose when to compete, anyway.
    I understand D3's policy of overpricing everything so that players do not sail to victory inside their wallets, but alliance slots are something *very* important and unfortunately expensive.
  • IceIX, any chance of the app size shrinking on Android soon? IOS devices generally start with at least 8gb of storage. My low-end android has 1gb, and thats before all the google preinstalled apps, also it's near impossible to move apps to sd cards anymore as was the case with android 2 or so. With every update I have had to choose more and more apps to delete in order to maintain MPQ. It would be much appreciated to shrink the APP on ALL mobile platforms, thanks for a great game and all the features you've added so far.
  • HailMary
    Options
    I'm a bit worried about using in-game alliance chat on my phone's 5" screen. I hope it'll at least be threaded.... and include emoji. icon_e_smile.gif
    locked wrote:
    ^ God please no. A better move would be to decrease alliance slots prices significantly, make them fixed. Alliance rewards are amazing and tons of people miss out on them, but if more people can afford to expand to 20, we'll see more competition and it will be quite interesting. The net profits for the devs will easily double or triple. Many 20 man alliances that have been slacking will have to compete more or choose when to compete, anyway.
    Interesting proposal. However, there's the issue of backlash from first adopters if they drop alliance expansion prices through the floor, and if you think about alliance expansion itself as a game of progression, it makes sense that prices rise with each additional slot.

Within that framework, and noting the "pay for the next slot" req that many alliances have used, there are two HP-cost changes that could be quite good:
    1. Alliance HP pool: members/commanders can contribute HP to a pool which can only be used towards alliance-centric purchases.
    2. Allow applicants to buy their own slot, vs. buying the next slot.
  • bob_irwin wrote:
    IceIX, any chance of the app size shrinking on Android soon? IOS devices generally start with at least 8gb of storage. My low-end android has 1gb, and thats before all the google preinstalled apps, also it's near impossible to move apps to sd cards anymore as was the case with android 2 or so. With every update I have had to choose more and more apps to delete in order to maintain MPQ. It would be much appreciated to shrink the APP on ALL mobile platforms, thanks for a great game and all the features you've added so far.
    Bob... I think you misread what Ice wrote. The app remains large, it is only the initial download that is shrinking. Once the initial download completes, it will download additional resources in game. I do not believe that the final product will be any smaller
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    HailMary wrote:
    Within that framework, and noting the "pay for the next slot" req that many alliances have used, there are two HP-cost changes that could be quite good:
    1. Alliance HP pool: members/commanders can contribute HP to a pool which can only be used towards alliance-centric purchases.
    2. Allow applicants to buy their own slot, vs. buying the next slot.
    Well, or this. I just can't imagine myself acquiring enough HP while being F2P to buy even a 600 HP slot for an alliance (thankfully have a backup account with spare HP). I guess then alliances are a more advanced feature for kewl bananas that we forum goers are?
  • locked wrote:
    Well, or this. I just can't imagine myself acquiring enough HP while being F2P to buy even a 600 HP slot for an alliance (thankfully have a backup account with spare HP). I guess then alliances are a more advanced feature for kewl bananas that we forum goers are?

I had stockpiled over 4000hp before alliances came out as a f2p player. Dropped it all into creating an alliance to get up to about 10-11 slots then had people buy a slot when they joined. So as f2p it is possible. It just takes time. With as many events that run these days finishing top50 in them will net you some good hps in short order.
  • gamar wrote:
    Emeryt wrote:
    Grazzt wrote:
    sounds great.
    but still no alliance member indication in the PVP matchup screen?
    Seriously how difficult is to remember 20 nicknames?
    When you're trying to hammer down people as fast as possible to avoid those -40 point defensive losses I don't want to (and also I forget to) take time to check for friendly fire!

This. and some alliances have a lot more than 20 people to remember
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    Telepath wrote:
    bob_irwin wrote:
    IceIX, any chance of the app size shrinking on Android soon? IOS devices generally start with at least 8gb of storage. My low-end android has 1gb, and thats before all the google preinstalled apps, also it's near impossible to move apps to sd cards anymore as was the case with android 2 or so. With every update I have had to choose more and more apps to delete in order to maintain MPQ. It would be much appreciated to shrink the APP on ALL mobile platforms, thanks for a great game and all the features you've added so far.
    Bob... I think you misread what Ice wrote. The app remains large, it is only the initial download that is shrinking. Once the initial download completes, it will download additional resources in game. I do not believe that the final product will be any smaller
    Pretty much this. Android doesn't need a background downloader to download the game over a cell network because there are no restrictions on size like Apple has. The number of textures and graphics in the game though more than anything else take up the bulk of the space and there's not much way to get those down other than compression. Which of course decreases visual quality and can only go so far.
  • LoreNYC wrote:

I didn't even think about that for y'all having 40 people between Venoms and Poisons. You must burn through ISO skipping each other!
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    i-am-amish wrote:
    Does anyone know when this will go live?
    We generally post Patch Previews when the build is mostly solid and goes into the approval pipelines for first parties. Those processes are largely black boxes though, so the best we can really say is "Soon™"
  • IceIX wrote:
    i-am-amish wrote:
    Does anyone know when this will go live?
    We generally post Patch Previews when the build is mostly solid and goes into the approval pipelines for first parties. Those processes are largely black boxes though, so the best we can really say is "Soon™"

I hope it doesn't go live just as I'm on holiday for a week. Otherwise my alliance might think i'm a total slacker (instead of the hard-core, no-lifer player that I really am!), and kick me without realising the true situation. :s
  • DecoyDuck
    DecoyDuck Posts: 620
    Options
    IceIX wrote:

I zoomed in 300% to see if some sort of hint was embedded in that last sentence...
  • DecoyDuck wrote:
    IceIX wrote:

I zoomed in 300% to see if some sort of hint was embedded in that last sentence...

You didn't go far enough. At 900% you can just make out "Deadpool will be available for $20 per cover."
  • LoreNYC wrote:

I didn't even think about that for y'all having 40 people between Venoms and Poisons. You must burn through ISO skipping each other!
    Actually, make that soon to be 60 people. There's a Toxins running around too. icon_e_wink.gif
  • HailMary
    Options
    locked wrote:
    Hmmm. I'm F2P, and I have 750 HP right now. That's after two personal roster-slot purchases that weren't actually necessary in the short term, and a half-dozen daily-deal purchases that happened to pan out spectacularly (4-5 useful 3*s from 7 tokens). I had 900 HP saved up in the early days of alliance functionality with the intent to open a slot for Django (but the next slot price was up to 1600 HP by that point).
  • Looking forward to this update

It is the normally evolution of the game since Alliances are all the rage.

Chat is great for the players who never venture the forums
  • It's certainly possible to be F2P and rack up loads of HP.
  • Mondo wrote:
    LoreNYC wrote:

Actually, make that soon to be 60 people. There's a Toxins running around too. icon_e_wink.gif

That's wild! I'm also curious why there's only 5 deadly ones in each group? Does that mean there are 4 people using each particular venom/poison/toxin? Or are the other 15 merely painful? Do you argue over who gets to be which one?

"No, I called dibs on iocane powder! It's odorless, colorless, tasteless, dissolves instantly in water, and is among the more deadly poisons known to man."

These are the questions that run through my head when looking at the alliance leaderboards. Then I get distracted by Game of Thrones.