Board Drop of Death (crash bugs) [Android - Fixed in R133 | Devs Aware]

Comments

• josman96
    josman96 Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    Are you talking about that persistent bug that at the start of many battles the game simply crashes and turns off?
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Still losing countless points in PvP from this - also costing healthpacks :/
  • Landale
    Landale Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    Android user here - I am constantly suffering from the board drop of death.  Happens a minimum of once or twice per day to me.  

• rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    I had a new variation of the crash today. This time it crashed during pre-first turn powers while Mindless Ones were placing their special tiles. You can see the tile has been chosen (row 3, col 4) and the animation has started, but the icon isn't there yet.

Crashes seem to come in bunches. I went a week with only 2 crashes, but in the last 48 hours I've had 7 crashes.

• turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    This seems as good a place as any to mention it. 

I've had the game crash on me three times in the last two days. 

Basically game starts and then crashes straight away. I play the game on my mobile
  • Talus9952
    Talus9952 Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Crashing multiple times a day now.  How is this still not fixed?!
  • Twysta
    The only comment there's been was Cthulu asking for info on it.
    So I can only assume the devs have no idea what's causing it or how to fix it... so they just ignore us. 
  • bearott
    bearott Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    I have the same problem on steam.  It happen pretty often.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    This lovely bug has been increased lately.   I went from seeing it only occasionally to guaranteed minimum 2 per day.

I had it happen 3 times in 4 matches trying to use Medusa-Carol-Coulson against the Mindless Ones waves.  I gave up and switched teams.
  • qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,173 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yup, twice inside an hour this morning. I think when they change something, the bug gets moved around and crashes in different ways.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Hi Everyone. The development team is still investigating, however it has been quite the thorn in their side, since QA is having a hard time consistently reproducing the bug. (It seems like there is no consistent method that the community can discern either)

If anyone is able to identify consistent reproduction steps, then please message me asap, and I will pass it along to the QA team. Thank you!
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Thank you for letting us know that this is at least on the radar. It is difficult to give any reproduction steps since all that the player does is click on a match to begin it, and the game crashes before any further player actions can be taken. That said, there are a few things which seem to make it more likely:

A disproportionate percentage of the crashes occur when there is Match 5 present on the board. Or perhaps just an overabundance of a single color tile. Having a Match 5 doesn't guarantee a crash, and crashes occur without them, but it is surprising how often the two appear connected. Looking through a half dozen screenshots I have of crashes where I can see the whole board, in every case there is a color that has at least 12 tiles.

Quickly clicking on the enemy team to bring a particular foe to the front seems to sometimes cause a crash. It may just be that the game has already crashed and the timing of the foe selection just seems to be related, but it is something to try.

Immediately upon restarting the game after a crash, I often have some kind of notification show up. Either an update happens, or I'm notified of PVP losses. The appearance is that somehow the client reporting to the server that a match has started is colliding with a check for other server notifications. Again, notifications don't guarantee crashes, and crashes occur without notifications, but the percentage of crashes that are associated with notifications is much higher than I would expect.

Crashes sometimes occur in bunches, so perhaps there is some relation to server load? For example I had 4 crashes on 4/18 at 2:20 PM, 2:29 PM, 2:45 PM, and 4:08 PM (all times MDT). But no crashes at all on 4/20 or 4/21. On 4/23 I had two crashes in a row at 10:37 AM.

• ursopro
    ursopro Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Where I can send my zip file containing almost 100 dump files generated after a crash?
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Today was the first time I've had 2 crashes in a row, lost 2/3 queues on a shield hop along with a bunch of points.  The second time the app crashed I didn't even get a prompt to submit a bug report.

I find that it happens when I'm using AP boosts and can tell its about to crash because the character skill bars don't load (black bar between characters up top and the game board).  I believe it crashes before the banner for AP boosts loads.  

Attempting to manipulate the board before the banners load might exacerbate the problem but I don't believe I did that today (I've learned to pause longer in an attempt to avoid this issue, up until today its been a while since I've experienced a crash)
  • Talus9952
    Talus9952 Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    AP boosts have nothing to do with it.  I rarely use AP boosts outside of crash of the titans, so almost all my board drop crash are without using boosts.
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    Another day another crash , happened a few times yesterday and then today twice , when are they going to sort this out! So glad it didn't crash during thanos 
  • badsaj
    badsaj Posts: 73 Match Maker
    edited May 2017
    It crashed on me twice during the Thanos event, once Saturday, once Sunday, both times on the boss node. I only play DDQ and PVE, and I probably average a BDOD 3 times a week. I play on an Android phone.
  • Twysta
    I have hundreds of crash reports if the devs want them. 
  • Twysta
    edited May 2017
    Still happening...
    Pretty disappointed but not surprised (with the tight fisted nature of the devs) that we get NOTHING in terms of compensation considering personally I've lost out on a ton of ISO from placement and seed teams, healthpacks... and placement prizes.
    Especially from something beyond our control.
  • LambadaDave
    LambadaDave Posts: 129 Tile Toppler
    This issue happens to me a few times a day.  It is always immediately on starting the match, prior to first move.  It seems logical that it is tied to the goon animations.  I rarely (maybe never) see it in PVP, but often in PVE.