Unstable ISO-8 Rerun 4/1 - 4/7

Options

Comments

• over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    ^ Use any stunner and tile overwriter/smasher, e.g. mStorm, mBW, Cap**, heck, Moonstone. Moonie can actually steal Muscle's Threat and help with taking down Bullseye and Daken faster.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    RichHurtz wrote:
    Doragon wrote:
    Skyedyne wrote:
    Hmmmm. Well, you could always try OBW, MN Mags, and C storm together. And just try to get off as many storm blues as possible. I tried it only once against the daken, bullseye node and managed to come out decent enough. It may work for the rags/Venom node for you.

Use Patch/Loki. After using Berserker Rage, you use Trickery, which also converts all the Strike/Protect tiles that Daken/Bullseye made. Follow that with TBTI and you can take out Daken.

Unfortunately, I can't really use them. I only have 1 Black Loki Cover in my Rewards, and I have to wait until I can buy another Roster Spot to recruit him, and the Patch right now I have is Lv26 and has 1 Berserker Rage and 4 Healing Factor. :/

EDIT: I just tried doing the Daken/Bullseye node with OBW, MN Mags, and C Storm, and it was pretty much completely pointless. Didn't stand the slightest chance...

I resorted to Spidey stun with AP boosts as rags/venom totally destroyed my eariler teams.
  • kensterr wrote:
    RichHurtz wrote:
    Doragon wrote:
    Skyedyne wrote:
    Hmmmm. Well, you could always try OBW, MN Mags, and C storm together. And just try to get off as many storm blues as possible. I tried it only once against the daken, bullseye node and managed to come out decent enough. It may work for the rags/Venom node for you.

Use Patch/Loki. After using Berserker Rage, you use Trickery, which also converts all the Strike/Protect tiles that Daken/Bullseye made. Follow that with TBTI and you can take out Daken.

Unfortunately, I can't really use them. I only have 1 Black Loki Cover in my Rewards, and I have to wait until I can buy another Roster Spot to recruit him, and the Patch right now I have is Lv26 and has 1 Berserker Rage and 4 Healing Factor. :/

EDIT: I just tried doing the Daken/Bullseye node with OBW, MN Mags, and C Storm, and it was pretty much completely pointless. Didn't stand the slightest chance...

I resorted to Spidey stun with AP boosts as rags/venom totally destroyed my eariler teams.

And if I had a Spidey, I'm sure I'd be using him at every possible opportunity. icon_razz.gif

I guess the main thing I have to do is work on getting more Iso-8 and Covers so I can level up more characters.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's really silly how little points mean in this event.
    I'm sitting at rank 364 now, but I fully expect to be back in the Top 5, if not Top 2 after I make my first clear in the new nodes today at 4 CET.
    Rubberbanding in the previous events was similarly strong, but with many more points for each node you never slipped more than 20 places or so.
    This is crazy and the last hour will be brutal, with all the scaling.
  • I added about 1000 points to the top score and did my part of the community service. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure this is way too late.

In retrospect there was actually enough points to hit those targets because each person like me could've added 1000 points to the max score quite easily. Problem is due to having just one main bracket, all you're doing is just community service. Anyone who can add 1000 points to the top score is most certainly not worried about placing poorly in this event and community service is literally the only reason they'd grind missions down to 1.

You really need the sub/main split because otherwise people aren't going to grind missions just for the sake of community service. People who can move the top of the bracket leader probably don't need the rewards as badly as people who cannot. This confirms what I've been saying for a while, that the overall bracket leader doesn't actually change very often. This is because a guy who can replace the current overall leader generally has no incentive to do so.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    I added about 1000 points to the top score and did my part of the community service. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure this is way too late.

In retrospect there was actually enough points to hit those targets because each person like me could've added 1000 points to the max score quite easily. Problem is due to having just one main bracket, all you're doing is just community service. Anyone who can add 1000 points to the top score is most certainly not worried about placing poorly in this event and community service is literally the only reason they'd grind missions down to 1.

You really need the sub/main split because otherwise people aren't going to grind missions just for the sake of community service. People who can move the top of the bracket leader probably don't need the rewards as badly as people who cannot. This confirms what I've been saying for a while, that the overall bracket leader doesn't actually change very often. This is because a guy who can replace the current overall leader generally has no incentive to do so.
    And honestly, with the 3rd cover being moved over to alliance rewards, there's really not that much incentive to grind above top 50, which so far was easily achievable in a full runthrough each set+ a couple missions
  • Spoit wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    I added about 1000 points to the top score and did my part of the community service. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure this is way too late.

And honestly, with the 3rd cover being moved over to alliance rewards, there's really not that much incentive to grind above top 50, which so far was easily achievable in a full runthrough each set+ a couple missions

So far it takes basically doing each mission twice to become the new overall bracket leader. Each time I hit that I decided there was no point to risk getting scaling any higher (though in retrospect the scaling seems pretty set in this event, as all my hard missions are 230X3 the first time I got to them anyway), and since there's no sub bracket there's no point to build a lead anyway. Tonight I decided to actually keep going and added about 1000 points to the top score (did most mission 4 times) since I figure since we're going into the final refresh I might as well try to build as much lead as I can, since a small lead is still better than nothing even factoring in rubberband.
  • Shadow
    Shadow Posts: 155
    Options
    2 nodes are deadly and 2 nodes are hard on my map. By the time the final refresh comes around, those figures are going to be higher. Good luck to those who are planning to do very last minute cycles and do not have spidey as part of the team combi. It's gonna be interesting to see all the last minute pushes to the finishing line.
  • Phantron wrote:

Everyone could have added points, but there are several problems with that.
    1st is scaling, nobody wants to have only 3x230 nodes. And all recent PVE events have conditioned me not to fight a single unnecessary fight, because it only makes subsequent fights harder.
    2nd the rubber-banding is out of hand, the ranking is crazy volatile this time. I'm loosing and regaining 200 ranks every day. It's not rocket science to figure out that you can't build a lead and everything will come down to the last hours of the tourney. Which is why I for example have pretty much given up already. I can't play the last hours because it's a weekday middle of the night in my timezone. I could grind down every stack in every refresh and will probably not even be top 50 in the end.
  • Turns out the bigger April Fool's joke was the progression rewards for this event, and not the hero name changes on the forum. They should have just gone all the way with the joke and make the top reward 1 of each cover while doing their best Dr. Evil impersonation.
  • KaioShinDE
    KaioShinDE Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    finwe wrote:
    I can't play the last hours because it's a weekday middle of the night in my timezone. I could grind down every stack in every refresh and will probably not even be top 50 in the end.

Same. This really frustrates the hell out of me as it makes you feel like another week of playing just went down the drain thanks to non US players being second class citiziens. We already need to pay double the amount of HP on shields for PvP events (we need 8 hour shields instead of 3 hour shields, nearly every single event), but at least you break even with the tournament rewards. But when it keeps happening on PvE events that take a week or even longer and there is no way to compensate for missing the final hours short of planning your life around a match3 game and getting up in the middle of the night it's no longer funny.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The event finishes at noon for me, when my boss is around to make sure I do my work. Still hoping that I get enough points for top 50 finish tho.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mizake wrote:
    Turns out the bigger April Fool's joke was the progression rewards for this event, and not the hero name changes on the forum. They should have just gone all the way with the joke and make the top reward 1 of each cover while doing their best Dr. Evil impersonation.

WOW they are so off this time it is hilarious.

In my bracket, first position has 46k right now (18h to go), I really doubt I am going to get to the 53333 mark, and of course it is impossible to get to the cap yellow or red cover. I don't know how they created these progression rewards, but I ve been playing since the beginning and I think this is the worst by far. By the end of the event I will make just a third part of the score of last reward!!!
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well Ghast/MTGOFerret: seems like you guys got this one. I'm going to miss a refresh tomorrow morning since I just pulled an allnighter: there goes my X-Force yellow =(. Definitely would take not x-force yellow + 6 hours of sleep over x-force yellow + 4 hours. Oh well.
  • The refresh doesn't work for me!
    I played 12:00 midnight the last time and the points are not fully recovered at the moment!
    How is that possible?
  • I'm doing quite well in this event. Top 3 right now, only 200 off #1.

My question is; what sort of strategy is needed to actually win? Do I leave the nodes from now until two hours off the end and then grind them out or am I better off doing them every 4 hours? I'd really like to win an event (would be my first). I do understand full well that it'll be a cut-throat affair once it gets to the last hour, but I've already reconciled myself with the idea of waking up at 3-4am just to secure top 50 at least, but if I'm doing that I might as well push for #1.

Any suggestions?
  • You wait as long as you can before you play any more missions. Playing every 4 hours is the safest way to lose out on all HT covers.
  • WolfmanX25 wrote:
    You wait as long as you can before you play any more missions. Playing every 4 hours is the safest way to lose out on all HT covers.

Thanks. I had a feeling I needed to wait.
  • I woke up at 6:30 with about 40.3K points in #266. By 7:00, I had had breakfast (it's important, you know), played a handful of missions (I think 6-8, the essential ones 2-3 times, the new one, and one or two others), and was at about 45.8k points and in 7th place. Not touching it again until this evening. I'm hoping that I can go to bed at normal time and not have to stay up for top 50, but I should definitely be able to get at least the one cover that way.

Am I the only person deliberately taking damage to keep the scaling reigned in? I noticed that if I got through a battle unscathed, it immediately went up 8 levels or so, but if I took some damage, it doesn't. I've started letting a silent strike or something similar to go off every match, and I'm avoiding healing even if OBW is on the team (I mainly use her for CD tile delays). Some of the matches I've barely touched have gone up 100 levels due to community scaling, but a lot of them are still nice and low since I've at least let the personal scaling stay low.
  • Indeed, I'm going to let my non-core team get royally smashed on all the decent nodes before I go on my final hour (see 4am...) rampage. Alternatively I might just bin it off on the basis that I've got another 15 or so underlevelled 3* and 2* characters that are in slots that I'd have to expand to fit in HT as well. If it wasn't for the likely inclusion of HT as a boosted character in an upcoming event I really wouldn't bother.