Unstable ISO-8 Rerun 4/1 - 4/7

Options

Comments

• Dreylin
    Dreylin Posts: 241
    Options
    OK, so It's not the most exciting format event ever, but I for one am quite happy to finally be able to run this one. When I started all the intro pop-ups were saying "we saved the red ISO-8 from Osborn, now it's his next scheme" type of thing & I'm like "red ISO-8!?".

So the devs re-ran an old event with minimal troubleshooting and miscalculated the progression rewards; I'm sure we'll all be forgiving them in a few days when the next Episode starts and everything has been calculated well and runs smoothly.
  • LordWill
    LordWill Posts: 341
    Options
    I don't know why I've had so much trouble on the timing of this event.

So 1 day 1 hour left. How many refreshes are left? 1 or 2? If it's a 12 hour refresh then there is just 1 more refresh left correct? And when exactly does it happen?

At the 12 hour left mark?

I need to find a 12 hour countdown app for my S3!
  • For those that have the capability to, on the 230 deadly missions, I would recommend Patch/OBW/Hood team. I've been farming the Muscle/Venom/Rag mission and have had venom only use snare once the entire time.

Focus Muscle using patch colors till you can use both of patches actives, while also keeping and eye on venom purple and black. Most times, you will have hood yellow or OBW blue to deal with cd tiles and enemy team strike tiles. Rags is next to focus down, and then venom. The glory of this team is hood never pops out, is constantly stealing for you, and he utilizes the "dead" colors of Patch and OBW. End match with full life.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The issue is that we cannot, in fact, play right now. If you want to maximize your points you will play once, then 12 hours later. Anything I do right now will actually punish me for playing. Shield pvp raises my MMR, and I'm shielded in first place in the Cap tourney. With sub events, at least there is more to do. I'm not saying I want PVE events 24/7, but if you are going to have them, at least have them be interesting/rewarding.

But didn't that happen in events that included subs as well? Simulator for instance, the optimal thing to do was to join the event 10 hours before the end, do a full clear, and then do another full clear right before the end. You're still punished in exactly the same way for playing, except the difference is that you are forced to play more frequently (heavy grinding every 3 days) than this event (heavy grinding on the last day). I also don't agree with your last statement: you would rather prefer not having a PvE event at all as opposed to having this event? While the event is far from perfect, I like being able to play some missions every day and farm some much needed iso. Having this somewhat broken/dated event available to play is far better than not having a PvE event at all imo. You should just treat this as a casual iso farm like the prologue with some traditional pve grinding that we've all grown to love on the last day, and I think you'll be a lot happier as a result.

Spoit wrote:
    mohio wrote:

The highest scoring people in this event doesn't even mean much: with rubberbanding first place is always only going to be a thousand points above most of the pack that do even one clear a day. This event structure is just very poor in general: single main means that rubberbanding negates any leads you could get in earlier rounds, making it futile to try and extend your lead in the event, and the lack of subs means that less awards are handed out in general. I'm thinking about doing a poll after the event for people to voice whether or not they liked the event: I'm thinking that if the devs have a concentrated thread for feedback, they'll think twice about rerunning events like this given how most of the playerbase probably dislikes it compared to what we've had before.

I was considering making a thread about being dissatisfied with this event but didn't want to be overly whiny. Basically my big issue with the long event with no subs is all the event/heroic token rewards that are essentially lost. It's already hard for people to collect the 2* covers they need to transition from 1* to 2* now that the PvP rewards have been scaled back. I don't think it's fair that this additional source of 2* (and some 3*) covers, which usually comes in the sub event rewards is now gone. Don't even get me started on the same argument with hp and iso rewards as well. Overall it's really hampered my own roster growth, as well as, I assume, many others in my situation.

They could have mitigated this issue by being more generous in the progression rewards, but there are no more token/iso/hp rewards than usual and they made all the top rewards impossible to attain (barring some incredibly awful last day or two huge increase in points). Overall I'm pretty unhappy with this event and in consequence have been playing much less over the past few days.

I think it's interesting how the expectations of the playerbase changes. A month-2 ago, it would be regular to have no PvE event running at all for weeks at a time, and I was complaining all the time about how there should be a PvE event running at all times so that i could develop my roster with PvE iso and always have something to do. Now that this has become reality, I am overall pretty happy with the way things are going, but the next generation of players now treat this as the norm and complain about more things like how there aren't subs running at all times. The potential for roster growth is the highest its ever been right now, but I guess the endless cycle of complaining will never cease.

As someone who ground out the punisher reward for the first hulk run, I'm not sure I agree. The level of rubberbanding combined with the personal level scaling actually punishes you for grinding out more than a run or two of each node, unless you're going for #1. If you don't want a complete wall of 230s, going for the extra iso on each nodes is likely to be more trouble than it's worth.

And while the Alliance 3* covers are nice, especially since it was taken out of the top 5 bracket, I'm not sure the removal of the extra 2* covers makes the potential for roster growth higher than ever, until you're already past that point in the progression

When I was talking about roster growth, I meant specifically the sheer amount of iso that has been injected into the game with the increases in PvP/PvE placement awards and skip tax: it takes far less time now to max out characters than it did before. The removal of the 2* covers definitely made the 1->2* transition take longer, but I'm not sure if thats a bad thing assuming that what IceIX said (where people were transitioning too quickly far before they had maxed out 1*s) was correct. For your first comment, are you referring to the game being worse off because of rubberbanding/scaling? I'm not sure I quite follow.
  • Skyedyne wrote:
    For those that have the capability to, on the 230 deadly missions, I would recommend Patch/OBW/Hood team. I've been farming the Muscle/Venom/Rag mission and have had venom only use snare once the entire time.

Focus Muscle using patch colors till you can use both of patches actives, while also keeping and eye on venom purple and black. Most times, you will have hood yellow or OBW blue to deal with cd tiles and enemy team strike tiles. Rags is next to focus down, and then venom. The glory of this team is hood never pops out, is constantly stealing for you, and he utilizes the "dead" colors of Patch and OBW. End match with full life.

I wish I could do this one, but I seriously doubt I have any shot at it. It's got 2068 points, but I've only got a 1/0/4 level 26 Patch, a 61 3/4/3 OBW, and no Hood. I don't know what I'd have to due to try to stand a chance in this, since they're all Deadly at 143 for me.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm saying that since this event has such poor milestone rewards, and no sub brackets, the only other source of iso is the 250/500 from finishing missions. However, unlike the first time this was run, you don't want to grind them all the way down, because that will make your personal scaling grow out of control (not that it really matters with most nodes only having 1 villain)
  • Hoping for advice from others that know more than me about this stuff. Right now, the Normal and Hard maps I have are mostly around 1000 or within a few hundred points of them. Do I do them now and hope they regen once or twice tomorrow, or wait until the last hour or two?
  • RichHurtz wrote:
    Hoping for advice from others that know more than me about this stuff. Right now, the Normal and Hard maps I have are mostly around 1000 or within a few hundred points of them. Do I do them now and hope they regen once or twice tomorrow, or wait until the last hour or two?

The nodes will fully refresh 12 hours from when you last completed a match on that node. So you can set when they refresh. I personally will do some matches when I get to work first thing and then wait until the end.

What I don't know is if there's going to be a new set of nodes tomorrow, maybe someone who played the event before can enlighten us, but at this point probably not. Brand new nodes have full stacks.
  • So would you say go ahead and do them now? Sorry about being so unsure about it. I want a couple Human Torch covers. icon_razz.gif
  • RichHurtz wrote:
    So would you say go ahead and do them now? Sorry about being so unsure about it. I want a couple Human Torch covers. icon_razz.gif

Depends on if you can play roughly 14-15 hours before the end of the event because that will be optimal allowing for full refresh going into the final 2 hours of the event. If you cannot then do them now and refrain from doing anymore until the end. The main thing to take away is 12 hour refresh, always keep that in mind.

The way this event is setup only the last 2 hours matter, if you do nodes too soon or do not have max stacks going into the end it will be very likely you can be pushed out of top 200 even if you have been in the top 50 the entire time.
  • Chimaera wrote:
    RichHurtz wrote:
    So would you say go ahead and do them now? Sorry about being so unsure about it. I want a couple Human Torch covers. icon_razz.gif

Depends on if you can play roughly 14-15 hours before the end of the event because that will be optimal allowing for full refresh going into the final 2 hours of the event. If you cannot then do them now and refrain from doing anymore until the end. The main thing to take away is 12 hour refresh, always keep that in mind.

The way this event is setup only the last 2 hours matter, if you do nodes too soon or do not have max stacks going into the end it will be very likely you can be pushed out of top 200 even if you have been in the top 50 the entire time.

Okay... so if the event is scheduled to end at Midnight tomorrow where I live, the only thing I have to make sure is that I am able to play at around 14-15 hours before that? If so, then I guess I'll give them a playthrough now.

EDIT: Of course when I go to do it, the 2 Spies and the Soldier on Seized by Customs board make impossible to hit Purple tiles. Everyone I've tried so far tonight, the enemy keeps having these ridiculous streaks. I guess I'm just having garbage luck tonight...
  • RichHurtz wrote:
    Chimaera wrote:
    RichHurtz wrote:

Okay... so if the event is scheduled to end at Midnight tomorrow where I live, the only thing I have to make sure is that I am able to play at around 14-15 hours before that? If so, then I guess I'll give them a playthrough now.

EDIT: Of course when I go to do it, the 2 Spies and the Soldier on Seized by Customs board make impossible to hit Purple tiles.

The idea here is that if you play a round 14-15 hours from the end, then all of the nodes will recycle back to full points with about 2 hours left in the tourney, which is exactly when you want to play to make a run for those covers.
  • Of course, there is also the giant potential monkey wrench of the possibility if there is a final cycle "lightning round" of a 1-refresh node in the last 12 hours of the tourney.

If that occurs, then the final round for most becomes a giant poker match. With everyone strictly limited to 1 refresh, then you have to make a decision whether or not to "cash" the points off the table early when the nodes are still possible for you, or wait as long as possible to catch as much rubberband as you can for points... as long as you still can complete the nodes.

If you go the early route, you are hoping that your opponents will be scaled out of the nodes late in the round, granting you the higher placement.

On the other hand, for players with strong rosters, they can afford to wait to the end and muscle out everyone who cashed in early via rubberband. But, in this case, the advantage belongs to the player who holds off just a minute longer than their opponents to achieve a slightly better rubberband and overcome them.

This could be interesting after all... or then again, this set of events may not ever happen.

We will know one way or the other in 12 hours. Either way, playing at 14-15 hours to clear some points off the table, is a good idea. If the nodes respawn, you have a full set of refreshes in front of you at the end. If they don't, then you cashed in some points and will back up to max stacks at the target time of 2 hours left in the event.
  • Yargh. Still hoping I'll somehow be able to get back into the top 50 to get two Human Torch covers, but I just got around 3-4K in points and that only got me up to 102.
  • RichHurtz wrote:
    Skyedyne wrote:
    For those that have the capability to, on the 230 deadly missions, I would recommend Patch/OBW/Hood team. I've been farming the Muscle/Venom/Rag mission and have had venom only use snare once the entire time.

I wish I could do this one, but I seriously doubt I have any shot at it. It's got 2068 points, but I've only got a 1/0/4 level 26 Patch, a 61 3/4/3 OBW, and no Hood. I don't know what I'd have to due to try to stand a chance in this, since they're all Deadly at 143 for me.

Hmmmm. Well, you could always try OBW, MN Mags, and C storm together. And just try to get off as many storm blues as possible. I tried it only once against the daken, bullseye node and managed to come out decent enough. It may work for the rags/Venom node for you.
  • For the nasty ones I've been breaking out Spidey, MN Mags and Venom again (with +3 all boosts, since they've been dropping like rain in the event). Venom's not technically necessary, but devour makes the whole thing go a lot quicker.
  • Skyedyne wrote:
    RichHurtz wrote:
    Skyedyne wrote:

Hmmmm. Well, you could always try OBW, MN Mags, and C storm together. And just try to get off as many storm blues as possible. I tried it only once against the daken, bullseye node and managed to come out decent enough. It may work for the rags/Venom node for you.

Main thing hurting me is that my levels aren't that good. CStorm and MN Mags are mid to high 50s at the moment. Guess it'd be worth giving a try...
  • Skyedyne wrote:

Use Patch/Loki. After using Berserker Rage, you use Trickery, which also converts all the Strike/Protect tiles that Daken/Bullseye made. Follow that with TBTI and you can take out Daken.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    ^ I didn't even bring my own Patch against lvl 230 Bullseye, Daken and Muscle, I think I went mStorm/Spidey/Loki, mStorm was necessary for non-stop AP generation, and I used some colour boosts to stun out of the gate if needed. After several uses of Trickery (do NOT kill Bullseye first or your offense will lack the much-needed punch if you lack good strikers yourself) the board got ridiculous and even mStorm could survive 2x Muscles strike tiles (each at ~800 damage!).

I was meaning to ask... My Venezuela Showdown node is currently worth 3 000 pts, but of course I need to stifle the urge to play now and wait for the 14-15 hrs mark, right? Even if the nodes don't grow any higher.
  • Doragon wrote:
    Skyedyne wrote:

Use Patch/Loki. After using Berserker Rage, you use Trickery, which also converts all the Strike/Protect tiles that Daken/Bullseye made. Follow that with TBTI and you can take out Daken.

Unfortunately, I can't really use them. I only have 1 Black Loki Cover in my Rewards, and I have to wait until I can buy another Roster Spot to recruit him, and the Patch right now I have is Lv26 and has 1 Berserker Rage and 4 Healing Factor. :/

EDIT: I just tried doing the Daken/Bullseye node with OBW, MN Mags, and C Storm, and it was pretty much completely pointless. Didn't stand the slightest chance...