Unstable ISO-8 Rerun 4/1 - 4/7

Options

Comments

• morgh
    morgh Posts: 539 Critical Contributor
    Options
    they fu*ked this event up completely and I wouldn't be surprised if there were some job consequences ;p (like a boss' frown or wave of hand... nothing too serious ;-P)

I mean... why on earth would you dangle a bunch of carrots in front of people and make sure that NOONE will be able to get them? icon_e_biggrin.gif Either you are crazy or incompetent... in both cases I would think twice about keeping you in my company...
  • This event just makes me wanna play less
  • SandsTheMan
    Options
    image_zpsba9d5678.jpg

This may be an unpopular opinion, but why is the second in my table such a low level player when I'm struggling with hard missions to stay number one? The reason I find myself number one is because my Thor, OBW and CS are level 85 pre boost, and I've a handful of level 100+ go-to guys when needed.

The playing field should not be this levelled
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mohio wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    The Don generates 2 black AP a turn and Trap uses 10 black, so it will usually be used over Devour/Payback Mission though it's hardly guaranteed.

The numbers for the mission points needs to go up by a factor of 5 for the high point rewards to be even remotely obtainable. Round 4 of Simulator Basic was significantly less than 100K put together for even the highest scoring people.

The highest scoring people in this event doesn't even mean much: with rubberbanding first place is always only going to be a thousand points above most of the pack that do even one clear a day. This event structure is just very poor in general: single main means that rubberbanding negates any leads you could get in earlier rounds, making it futile to try and extend your lead in the event, and the lack of subs means that less awards are handed out in general. I'm thinking about doing a poll after the event for people to voice whether or not they liked the event: I'm thinking that if the devs have a concentrated thread for feedback, they'll think twice about rerunning events like this given how most of the playerbase probably dislikes it compared to what we've had before.

I was considering making a thread about being dissatisfied with this event but didn't want to be overly whiny. Basically my big issue with the long event with no subs is all the event/heroic token rewards that are essentially lost. It's already hard for people to collect the 2* covers they need to transition from 1* to 2* now that the PvP rewards have been scaled back. I don't think it's fair that this additional source of 2* (and some 3*) covers, which usually comes in the sub event rewards is now gone. Don't even get me started on the same argument with hp and iso rewards as well. Overall it's really hampered my own roster growth, as well as, I assume, many others in my situation.

They could have mitigated this issue by being more generous in the progression rewards, but there are no more token/iso/hp rewards than usual and they made all the top rewards impossible to attain (barring some incredibly awful last day or two huge increase in points). Overall I'm pretty unhappy with this event and in consequence have been playing much less over the past few days.

I think it's interesting how the expectations of the playerbase changes. A month-2 ago, it would be regular to have no PvE event running at all for weeks at a time, and I was complaining all the time about how there should be a PvE event running at all times so that i could develop my roster with PvE iso and always have something to do. Now that this has become reality, I am overall pretty happy with the way things are going, but the next generation of players now treat this as the norm and complain about more things like how there aren't subs running at all times. The potential for roster growth is the highest its ever been right now, but I guess the endless cycle of complaining will never cease.
  • The issue is that we cannot, in fact, play right now. If you want to maximize your points you will play once, then 12 hours later. Anything I do right now will actually punish me for playing. Shield pvp raises my MMR, and I'm shielded in first place in the Cap tourney. With sub events, at least there is more to do. I'm not saying I want PVE events 24/7, but if you are going to have them, at least have them be interesting/rewarding.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    I think it's interesting how the expectations of the playerbase changes. A month-2 ago, it would be regular to have no PvE event running at all for weeks at a time, and I was complaining all the time about how there should be a PvE event running at all times so that i could develop my roster with PvE iso and always have something to do. Now that this has become reality, I am overall pretty happy with the way things are going, but the next generation of players now treat this as the norm and complain about more things like how there aren't subs running at all times. The potential for roster growth is the highest its ever been right now, but I guess the endless cycle of complaining will never cease.

I was actually having the same thoughts. It used to be that this would be a pretty typical PvE, basically anything before Thanksgiving. It goes to show that the introduction of sub-Events in like the 5th PvE event was such a great addition to the game that doing a throwback to the old style is apparently an affront to players.

If the game ran the exact same Red ISO event that ran in mid-October, the board would probably be rioting. At the time, it was omg-coolest-thing-ever.

And, yes, I would agree with a lot of people that this event isn't super-duper exciting. I'm pretty fine with that, though, I only spend around 20 minutes a day on it, which is relaxing. I do recognize that I'm part of the 'problem' with the progression rewards, though - if people actually grinded the missions further, rubberbanding would have taken everybody up to the progression rewards. It's a pretty good experiment to see how the sub-Events affect player motivation.
  • That's just human nature, we immediately take improvements for granted and find something to complain about. Reminds me of that bit Louis CK did on Conan's show that periodically circles the interwebs.
  • Was almost bottoming out of top 200, did one new node each, first with 40.6k. Yay event.

The last hour is going to be bloody.
  • itstime1234
    itstime1234 Posts: 369 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Impulse wrote:
    That's just human nature, we immediately take improvements for granted and find something to complain about. Reminds me of that bit Louis CK did on Conan's show that periodically circles the interwebs.

I dont think its so much taking things for granted as oppose to asking why are we taking a step back when we have gone forward. Its like taking a horse and buggie to work when you have access to a car.
  • I dont think its so much taking things for granted as oppose to asking why are we taking a step back when we have gone forward. Its like taking a horse and buggie to work when you have access to a car.
    Isn't the real step back here just that we're playing episode 1 over again? While it's had rubberbanding and scaling added, it's still more primitive than the later PvE episodes. We'll be back to something slicker soon enough now.
  • I would just like to take the opportunity to also voice my dissatisfaction that useful progression rewards are unreachable.
    Getting 250 iso after days of points hunting and then a thor cover for the 30k and 40k milestones is a kick in the teeth. And I am constantly first after my clears in my main. So it is not like I am slacking off or anything.

I would appreciate if they would adjust the progression thresholds tomorrow morning when they get to the office. It would go a long way.
  • Does anyone remember from the last time this ran if this is the last set of nodes or if we will get new nodes again at midnight or noon?
  • I think its time they got some weekend cover for times like this.
  • Vohnkar
    Vohnkar Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I think they planned this event quite bad on the rewards side. I see the nice rewards unreachable, I've been doing a full clear on every event and some extra mission to stay top 100 on my bracket and I'm near 40k points... The top 1 on my bracket is at almost 40k, so its not that I've missed a lot of points.

On this event there litle we can do, just hope they fix the progression rewards for the next run. The event its been quite fun and ok for me. The scaling for once didn't go out of hand, and having OBW+Thor at 85 made things a bit easier.
  • I agree that it is pretty cruel to dangle the good Cap at the end of the progression rewards, but make him out of reach. It's hard enough to progress at all on 3-star characters, and events like these should offer a way.

Also, remember how when this event originally ran, 2-star Cap was a relatively new character? So at the very least, you got one of his covers at the start. So they could have upgraded that this time around, to match the requirement and also give us an assured reward, no matter what else happened. In other words, in earlier phases of the game, events like these offered a way to get the new 2-star characters -- right there in the match rewards, you could win a Cap or Modern Hawkeye. It seems they took that out now, which is a shame. It would be nice if they went back to the old model! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • bahamut685
    bahamut685 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Currently #2 in my bracket, with 42332... 1d04h left... Quite annoyed at the fact that those Cap covers even showed up in the progression prize list, when we're more than 80% through the event, and less than 30% of the way to the top prize (less than half-way to the first note-worthy one, even).
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options
    While the progression rewards are a lost cause at this point, I have enjoyed the playtime of this event. Playing once in the morning and once before the reset is a very nice change of pace. Playing 15 to 20 minutes a day instead of relentlessly grinding for once is also a welcomed, albeit unexpected change.

Of course, everything could change in the morning...
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    While the progression rewards are a lost cause at this point, I have enjoyed the playtime of this event. Playing once in the morning and once before the reset is a very nice change of pace. Playing 15 to 20 minutes a day instead of relentlessly grinding for once is also a welcomed, albeit unexpected change.

Of course, everything could change in the morning...

I can imagine it now...

*At MPQ HQ*
    Faceless Dev 1: Oh ****, progression awards are unobtainable, what do we do?
    Faceless Dev 2: Get rid of decaying mission points stacks so players can grind their way up?
    Faceless Dev 1: And lets get rid of rubberbanding to make it fairer!
    Faceless Dev 2: Sounds like a plan! Roll out the patch without telling IceIX so the forumgoers don't convince him to stop the changes!
    Faceless Dev 1: Lets do it!
  • Impulse wrote:
    That's just human nature, we immediately take improvements for granted and find something to complain about. Reminds me of that bit Louis CK did on Conan's show that periodically circles the interwebs.

I dont think its so much taking things for granted as oppose to asking why are we taking a step back when we have gone forward. Its like taking a horse and buggie to work when you have access to a car.

In this analogy, your car is in the shop. You can take the buggy or miss work.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mohio wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    The Don generates 2 black AP a turn and Trap uses 10 black, so it will usually be used over Devour/Payback Mission though it's hardly guaranteed.

The numbers for the mission points needs to go up by a factor of 5 for the high point rewards to be even remotely obtainable. Round 4 of Simulator Basic was significantly less than 100K put together for even the highest scoring people.

The highest scoring people in this event doesn't even mean much: with rubberbanding first place is always only going to be a thousand points above most of the pack that do even one clear a day. This event structure is just very poor in general: single main means that rubberbanding negates any leads you could get in earlier rounds, making it futile to try and extend your lead in the event, and the lack of subs means that less awards are handed out in general. I'm thinking about doing a poll after the event for people to voice whether or not they liked the event: I'm thinking that if the devs have a concentrated thread for feedback, they'll think twice about rerunning events like this given how most of the playerbase probably dislikes it compared to what we've had before.

I was considering making a thread about being dissatisfied with this event but didn't want to be overly whiny. Basically my big issue with the long event with no subs is all the event/heroic token rewards that are essentially lost. It's already hard for people to collect the 2* covers they need to transition from 1* to 2* now that the PvP rewards have been scaled back. I don't think it's fair that this additional source of 2* (and some 3*) covers, which usually comes in the sub event rewards is now gone. Don't even get me started on the same argument with hp and iso rewards as well. Overall it's really hampered my own roster growth, as well as, I assume, many others in my situation.

They could have mitigated this issue by being more generous in the progression rewards, but there are no more token/iso/hp rewards than usual and they made all the top rewards impossible to attain (barring some incredibly awful last day or two huge increase in points). Overall I'm pretty unhappy with this event and in consequence have been playing much less over the past few days.

As someone who ground out the punisher reward for the first hulk run, I'm not sure I agree. The level of rubberbanding combined with the personal level scaling actually punishes you for grinding out more than a run or two of each node, unless you're going for #1. If you don't want a complete wall of 230s, going for the extra iso on each nodes is likely to be more trouble than it's worth.

And while the Alliance 3* covers are nice, especially since it was taken out of the top 5 bracket, I'm not sure the removal of the extra 2* covers makes the potential for roster growth higher than ever, until you're already past that point in the progression