Unstable ISO-8 Rerun 4/1 - 4/7

Options

Comments

• Thick as thieves if memory serves me right
  • volos wrote:
    In my mind, TaT only stumbled on 2 points:
    1 - scaling was introduced -poorly. people were sending in their rosters to suicide-tank. it was stupid.
    2 - when the 'main event' in TaT opened up, the points and rubberbanding went insane, rendering all previous points completely irrelevant. usually, in other events, your prior lead was at least slightly useful. not so here. also - too many missions on screen icon_cool.gif
    I'd add a third point, the additional main event missions being around for the better part of a week. Nothing like repeatedly having to grind lots of insanely scaled missions for guaranteed 20 ISO to stay competitive.
  • beemand2g wrote:
    Thick as thieves if memory serves me right

You are correct viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2497&start=20#p36802 icon_lol.gif
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Not sure why, but the name of this mission plus its points crack me up.
    I know some ISO hoarders, including some from this forum :3
    58J2zkx.png
  • locked wrote:
    I believe this event is under Max Rubberbanding flag again, just like the Sim too.
    What does this mean exactly?
  • I've got a few ideas why points may be so low (it's likely a combination of all of them):
    -People are hitting the grinding burnout point
    -Getting a Human Torch is relatively easy (you have to finish what - top 300 of 1000?)
    -People realize how pointless jumping ahead early is in this and are waiting to push at the end
    -There are no subs to give any kind of immediacy to getting your score up

I've jumped between like top 15 and top 140 and it's only taken a few matches to move from the latter to the former. Given how few nodes have 500 ISO prizes - and how bad scaling has hit those nodes - I'm spending all my focus on LRs and the PVPs that have been running.
  • Okay, I'm still trying to grasp the Rubberbanding thing... if I wanted to do it, when the next "round" of Missions starts, I should just do them once and then don't revisit the missions until much later on? Is that how it works?
  • RichHurtz wrote:
    Okay, I'm still trying to grasp the Rubberbanding thing... if I wanted to do it, when the next "round" of Missions starts, I should just do them once and then don't revisit the missions until much later on? Is that how it works?

In practice it means you get 10x points for each mission if you're behind so can catch up with the lead at any time except the very last period. IOW there's no tinikitty point playing the 7 day event in the first 5 days. Another good example of .... design.
  • pasa_ wrote:
    RichHurtz wrote:
    Okay, I'm still trying to grasp the Rubberbanding thing... if I wanted to do it, when the next "round" of Missions starts, I should just do them once and then don't revisit the missions until much later on? Is that how it works?

In practice it means you get 10x points for each mission if you're behind so can catch up with the lead at any time except the very last period. IOW there's no tinikitty point playing the 7 day event in the first 5 days. Another good example of .... design.

When there are subs, people are at least trying to place in the subs, but I get the feeling everybody is doing these once or twice and waiting for someone to build up a big lead.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    pasa_ wrote:
    RichHurtz wrote:

When there are subs, people are at least trying to place in the subs, but I get the feeling everybody is doing these once or twice and waiting for someone to build up a big lead.

And Subs are like... when there are the little 1 day Sub-Events like in the Hulk one?

So to do it, I should just do the missions once, then wait until there's about an hour left in the "round" to do them and try to get more points? Or should I just wait until near the end of the round totally?
  • RichHurtz wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    pasa_ wrote:
    RichHurtz wrote:

And Subs are like... when there are the little 1 day Sub-Events like in the Hulk one?

So to do it, I should just do the missions once, then wait until there's about an hour left in the "round" to do them and try to get more points? Or should I just wait until near the end of the round totally?

Question 1 - yes.

Question 2 - Rubberbanding will matter the most at the end of the tournament. Do whatever you feel like until the last refresh, and make sure you're in shape to make a big push the last few hours of the event, and you'll get the most benefit at the end as people make their first actual pushes to win this thing. Keep in mind, scaling may go completely insane when that happens.
  • pretty much the end of second day and top person in my bracket has 17k...at this rate say goodbye to the free captain americas everyone was hoping to reach
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    RichHurtz wrote:

Question 1 - yes.

Question 2 - Rubberbanding will matter the most at the end of the tournament. Do whatever you feel like until the last refresh, and make sure you're in shape to make a big push the last few hours of the event, and you'll get the most benefit at the end as people make their first actual pushes to win this thing. Keep in mind, scaling may go completely insane when that happens.

Okay, I think I get it a little more now. Thanks a lot.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    That said, if you need the ISO, feel free to replay some nodes for the 500 ISO reward. Just know that it will increase the enemy levels as a whole more than if you had been doing only one or two plays of each day's node.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    THANK ETERNITY for classic mags in this red iso event; his ability to transform enemy countdown tiles into blue protect tiles is saving my @$$!!!
  • fedlex20
    fedlex20 Posts: 303 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Well, i hope points start to ramp up cause the difference between the top ten in my bracket is very very little.

Edit: Got confused, i thought this nodes would last until tonight
  • ichijuan wrote:
    Well, i hope points start to ramp up cause the difference between the top ten in my bracket is very very little.
    They usually start ramping up quickly during the second half of the event. I hope that trend continues; otherwise, the progression rewards are well out of reach.

I just managed to cross 18K before the nodes switched at noon. Puts me in 2nd and about 175 points behind the #1 in my bracket.
  • ichijuan wrote:

Difference in my top ten is

1. 18,402 (me)
    10. 16,677 (not me)

That might not seem like much, but everyone in the top 10 is looking at missions worth a bit more than 100 points. I finished this "round" with 700 more points than the guy below me. Considering the number of matches he would have to win to beat me, that is an insurmountable lead going into the last minutes of an event.

Of course, all of this depends on me actually being around during the final hour.
  • Ghast wrote:
    ichijuan wrote:

Difference in my top ten is

1. 18,402 (me)
    10. 16,677 (not me)

That might not seem like much, but everyone in the top 10 is looking at missions worth a bit more than 100 points. I finished this "round" with 700 more points than the guy below me. Considering the number of matches he would have to win to beat me, that is an insurmountable lead going into the last minutes of an event.

Of course, all of this depends on me actually being around during the final hour.
    At 10:30 EST I was in 79th place. I played casually until 11:15 and made it to 27th place. I started hitting things hard at 11:30 and by 12:00 I was in 2nd.

If the rubberbanding stays roughly the same as it has, the last hour will be tremendously important.
  • Unknown
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Okay points for round three missions are as follows:-

Ms. Marvel: 50
    Daken and Yelena: 70
    Iso 8 Hoarders: 140
    Heist in Spain: 160
    Stolen Goods: 170
    Battle in Brazil: 200
    Iso 8 Heist: 260

This is the same total of points as the last two rounds. Nope there is no 30 point on this time so currently even less points this round.