Explain your team!!

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    icon_peggycarter.png (5/3/5)
    icon_lukecage.png (3-star, 5/5/3)
    icon_blackwidow.png (3-star, 5/3/5)

I know, I know... Peggy is obvious and doesn't really need an explanation, as she works well all by her lonesome on just about any team. But I just champed her and have been exploring teammates to maximize her for hard nodes in PvE - so you'll have to forgive me. Peggy kicks butt. Let's just get that out of the way. Get her blue out as soon as possible and work her red in when you can. Her yellow passive will give you more time to do those things. But she's still going to take ticky-tack match damage and maybe even eat a cheap power or two from her enemies. With four clears required for eatch PvE node, that damage adds up and eventually she's going to need a health pack. Using IM40 is an option to speed things up, but I wanted to make Peggy last longer not necessarily speed her up.

Enter Luke Cage. Set his red passive to 5 and you have an automatic damage soak out 90% of the time. His two active powers, yellow and black, help fill the rainbow. His defense tile really can't be underestimated at level 5 and keeps everyone nice and healthy.

I experimented with a lot of thirds. Teen Jean, Thanos, Electra, Invisible Woman, Moon Knight... the one I found most effective was Grey Suit Widow. Her active purple and green complete the team's rainbow and is a devastating combo on its own.
  • KFloppy
    KFloppy Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
    This is the first team I learned from the forums that a) is completely non-obvious to me, and b) helped me win more matches in PvP than I've ever expected, including my first defensive wins.

icon_mystique.png 5/3/5
    icon_shehulk.png 3/5/5
    icon_hood.png 5/5/3

I remember encountering this team in a Mystique or She-Hulk PvP. I didn't know how to use whichever it was, so I tried sticking my usual IM40/Magneto pair, so I can ignore the third hero, and got the snot beat out of me when facing this combination. So I came to this forum and learned all about it.

The main idea of this team is mainly to deny AP from the opposition, which all three members contribute: Mystique's purple to steal the opponent's matches, The Hood's blue passive to steal the opponent's stash, and She-Hulk's green to simply remove AP altogether.

Now that the opponent is slowed to a crawl, I have plenty of time to build up and fire all those expensive damage powers (Mystique's black at 11, She-Hulk's red at 9, The Hood's yellow at 15).

There's some room for a few strategy here and there. I can choose the most irritating enemy to freeze with Mystique's purple. I can use the Hood's yellow to remove pesky special tiles. And if I'm really caffeinated, I can leave targetted colors on the board for the Hood to steal.

The only things I can't deal with is countdown tiles, AOE, and Doctor Strange. Also, The Hood has incredibly low health, so using this guy costs me health packs.

This team is not too bad in PvE. I use it for the middle nodes with non-goons...it doesn't survive the hard nodes.
  • DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    So this follows a theme by a previous poster, but I thought it'd be good here.

icon_carnage.pngicon_mrfantastic.pngmedusa_icon.png

This works great against anyone who throws a lot of powers at you. Especially goons.

Basically, save AP until the enemy starts using abilities. Carnage throws out his attack tiles. You want this to happen as much as possible.

Start matching them away. Doesn't matter what color, but go for purple if you can.

Once you have a ton of spam tiles on the board, fire off Medusa's purple. Steal all of those attack tiles. Now they're powered up.

Keep matching stuff away, as you match them, you get AP and healing. When an enemy matches your tiles, you get healing from Mr F.

Yes, this team is animation hell. But you probably won't die. And once it gets rolling, there's not much that can stop it save for another Medusa, or a power that destroys a large amount of the board.
  • Roland113
    Roland113 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    Ok, I've got a new Big Enchilada team that is simple and fast to use:

Thanos_Icon.pngicon_gamora.pngicon_starlord.png

It's blindingly quick and is a good use for Gamora.

Basically, when the round starts make two red matches against the baddie with the least Hit Points. Typically they're goons and will fire off a power pretty quickly. When they fire a power off, this drops Gamora's redflag.png down to 3AP. Use that to finish off the first goon who immediately gets replaced. Court Death then hits the next three for major damage usually getting someone down to striking range with either a match or another of Gamora's redflag.png . Court Death fires again leaving you with generally two depleted enemies. Again, hit them with Gamora if you have enough red AP or do a couple matches and you're out. TBE takes like a minute for me these days.
  • WalrusBrigade
    WalrusBrigade Posts: 94 Match Maker
    I don't have the covers to make this worth while yet, but I like the idea of:

4 star.pngicon_ironfist.png
    icon_starlord.png
    icon_professorx.png

Starlord to keep Danny's powers cheap (except for black). Then keep firing whatever to get Prof. X to drop special tiles. Hopefully he will get invisible and start buffing them. Meanwhile Starlord can fire his redflag.png (Granted for mediocre effects) or use his purpleflag.png once Prof is invisible.

Not really optimized, but reasonably quick for getting tiles out there. I'll edit this when my icon_ironfist.png is something other than 1/0/1.
  • Dormammu
    This team was featured a couple weeks back for the Behemoth Burrito and I liked it so much that I've been testing it on and off in different PvE situations (vs. Goons, Dark Avengers, etc).

wasp_icon.png (mine is level 70 5/1/2)
    icon_bullseye.pngstar.pngstar.png (mine is level 144 5/3/5)
    icon_falcon.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png (mine is level 210 5/3/5)

Priority matches: purpleflag.pngyellowflag.pngblueflag.png Secondary matches: blackflag.pnggreenflag.png
    Useless: redflag.png

The strategy is simple: match as much purple and yellow as you can. By matching purple, Bullseye's passive is making defense tiles and you're filling Falcon's purple power, which creates more defense tiles. Matching yellow triggers Falcon's passive which buffs those defense tiles and fills Wasp's yellow power, which will flip those defense tiles into strike tiles and buff them more. You want to mix in some blue early, but only enough to fuel Falcon and Wasp's passives which remove enemy special tiles (Falcon), and steals AP (Wasp).

Wasp has an active black and Bullseye has an active green, both of which can be very useful, but they are secondary to the overall strategy.

Last night I was playing against both goons and Dark Avengers in the Hulk PvE event and I was easily defeating hard nodes on the fourth clear with this team (opponents were 280ish level) despite the fact that my Wasp is massively under-leveled (though Falcon was boosted).

The team looks weak on paper but they punch far beyond their level. By getting purple early, Bullseye is creating defense tiles (buffed from Falcon) that keeps the team safe while you build towards Wasp's flip. By the time you get Falcon's purple off, Wasp should have enough yellow to flip everything. Prioritize yellow after that, so Falcon keeps buffing those tiles, and you'll be doing damage in the thousands with every match, ending the fight in short order.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Dormammu wrote:
    This team was featured a couple weeks back for the Behemoth Burrito and I liked it so much that I've been testing it on and off in different PvE situations (vs. Goons, Dark Avengers, etc).

I had been playing with this team since the buffs to Wasp (mine is 4/2/3) and Falcon (5/3/5).
    It's fun and should be great for climbing in the next Combined Arms.
  • Roland113
    Roland113 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    Rick OShay wrote:
    Dormammu wrote:

I had been playing with this team since the buffs to Wasp (mine is 4/2/3) and Falcon (5/3/5).
    It's fun and should be great for climbing in the next Combined Arms.

I played a few rounds with this team today as well, though I experimented with 3* Bullseye for even more strike tile madness. I like both iterations of the team.
  • Zyrook
    Zyrook Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Alright, here are my go-to teams. Note I'm well into 4* land but there's some that still use 3* utility characters.

Team: If You're Angry and You Know it Clap Your Hands
    icon_redhulk.png / icon_starlord.png / icon_scarletwitch.png
    This is basically what I run whenever Rulk is boosted. It shreds any PVE with goons and any match in general with a cheap power character. Once Star Lord's Everyone With Me is on the board Rulk's Gamma Siphon is a 5 for 7 AP exchange, made all the nastier when his Hammer & Anvil is dropped down to 7 AP cost. Meaning 5 purple is all you need to have Rulk clap his hands, and that's what Switch is for. When Rulk's boosted an uncharged clap is all it takes for a lot of matches, and even against bigger threats two uncharged claps will take them down. Additionally, the Rulk / Star Lord duo mitigate the stupid AI on the defense. Having a EOWM tile down makes firing off uncharged claps more viable. There really isn't much more to be said about this team. Star Lord makes Rulk faster and Switch fuels him. Then Rulk does the only thing Rulk does.

Team Strikers
    icon_nova.png / icon_punisher.png / icon_starlord.png or icon_professorx.png
    Nova and Max Punisher both want tons of strike tiles on the board and aside from sharing an active black ability synergize really well. All of Nova's powers drop strike tiles and so does Punisher's blue. This turns Pun's black into a seriously powerful single target nuke, especially following a Merciless Charge. And considering the damage output of Nova there's a good chance that once you get to the Charge at least one baddie will be down. The third on the team really depends on if you're doing waves or not. Star Lord makes Nova's abilities dirt cheap, allowing him to juggle opponent's with his red to effectively stun lock opposing heavy hitters. On the flip side Prof X drops more strike tiles and his purple boosts those strike tiles, making wave matches a series of exponential growth. The big downside to this team is they're fairly squishy characters aside from Puns.
  • Dormammu
    With Electra's recent buff I wanted to try putting a good team around her and see how she played, so I jumped into the SHIELD Simulator tonight for the new Power season and played around with the following team:

Electra (5/3/5)
    Punisher (4-star, 5/5/3)
    Patch (5/3/5)

Punisher is the heavy hitter here, but Electra ties everyone together. The strategy is to get as many strike tiles out for Punisher's black Punish ability. His green is an awesome finisher, but I wanted Patch to use his green to spit out strike tiles. Before Patch did what he did best I made sure Electra had her purple theft ready to go so she could steal and buff the enemy strike tiles Patch creates (ouch). My match damage was high and Punisher's black was nasty, resulting in quite an effective team. Electra's red was made effective due to those strikes as well, and the AP theft it now produces is some nice gravy.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was fooling around a bit on the final wave node of hearts of Darkness. Since St3ve was boosted, I tried this:

3* Steve Rogers (3/5/5) (champed)
    4* Starlord (4/4/5) (champed)
    4* Carol Danvers (0/1/1)

It worked remarkably well, even though C4rol was way outclassed in terms of levels/hp. She was mostly just around for energy absorption and her yellow powers. The idea was to have the enemy fire a power, placing SL yellow countdowns making Steve's shields more AP efficient and immediately recalling them with 3 yellow AP from Carol's executive decisions.

With SL countdowns out, Steve's red costs 9 and returns 10, and Steve's blue breaks even at 10. Also, this team's strongest color was yellow so enemy matches often fed into Carol's yellow as well.

• WalrusBrigade
    WalrusBrigade Posts: 94 Match Maker
    I recently champed Spider Woman because . . . I don't know.

But I am trying to find good uses for her.  She's boosted now, so that helps, but I used her on TBE with a team that I thought was fun.

Iceman 5/5/3
    Spider Woman 5/5/3
    The Hood 5/5/3

The hood is there just for his AP steal.  Total color coverage, using Iceman for his blue/green and Spider Woman for her black/purple/red (in that order).  In some strange world maybe you use Hood's yellow.

The game plan is to focus on blue and black trying to get SW's black out to provide protection from damage and blue to fire Iceman's stun.  Then you are hopefully building to either purple or green so you can lay some traps with SW or use Iceman's AOE.  Refilling blue and black remains a priority either to keep the stun (or punch a person out) or keep the damage protection. 

TBE was easy, but that was with two champed 4* so that isn't surprising.  I'm going to try that team in some of the PvE to see what happens.
  • wingX
    wingX Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker

DeNappa said:
    I was fooling around a bit on the final wave node of hearts of Darkness. Since St3ve was boosted, I tried this:

3* Steve Rogers (3/5/5) (champed)
    4* Starlord (4/4/5) (champed)
    4* Carol Danvers (0/1/1)

It worked remarkably well, even though C4rol was way outclassed in terms of levels/hp. She was mostly just around for energy absorption and her yellow powers. The idea was to have the enemy fire a power, placing SL yellow countdowns making Steve's shields more AP efficient and immediately recalling them with 3 yellow AP from Carol's executive decisions.

With SL countdowns out, Steve's red costs 9 and returns 10, and Steve's blue breaks even at 10. Also, this team's strongest color was yellow so enemy matches often fed into Carol's yellow as well.

You can replace Starlord with IM40(5/3/5), even though now there is no one to cover purple, but it is still fun to use. you just have to let Steven's yellow be the strongest colour, so Carol's green can generate yellow AP for IM40's yellow which in turn kick start everything. With more yellow generate later through Carol's green, you can use it on Steve's red and blue. When countdown tiles resolved, Carol's yellow improves Steve's blue's protect, and if you have Carol's black, it can boosted her strikes too.

Another team using 4* Carol Danvers

Scarlet Witch (5/3/5)
    3* Deadpool (5/5/3)
    4* Carol Danvers (1/2/3)  (lowest level of the 3)

The aim for this team is to get purple AP for Deadpool's Whales attack ASAP. As this team strongest colour is purple, Carol's green can get you purple AP, and you can also use Carol's yellow together on Scarlet Witch's passive, to get purple even faster.

• DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards
    wingX said:

[..]
    You can replace Starlord with IM40(5/3/5), even though now there is no one to cover purple, but it is still fun to use. you just have to let Steven's yellow be the strongest colour, so Carol's green can generate yellow AP for IM40's yellow which in turn kick start everything. With more yellow generate later through Carol's green, you can use it on Steve's red and blue. When countdown tiles resolved, Carol's yellow improves Steve's blue's protect, and if you have Carol's black, it can boosted her strikes too.
    Yeah, pairing Steve with Tony is very powerful. One of my go-to 3* teams has been IM40/Steve/GSBW for a long time, and covers all colors except black. But that's not a problem with that amount of AP generation (both from yellow and purple), a powerful AoE attack, a repeatable stun, and a variety of red attacks to choose from (although you'll mostly be using IM40 red only as a finisher, and GSBW's as an emergency targeted area destruction).

I'm just at the start of my 4* transition now, with SL and Rulk being champs #4 and #5, respectively. So I'm starting to discover some crazy 4* teams now.

Currently, Rulk is boosted,  and he's been wreaking absolute havoc with:
    • Rulk (3/5/5)
    • SL (4/5/4) ; just make sure his yellow is at 5 to get the 2AP discount on powers.
    • Dr Strang3 (5/3/5)
    Whenever an enemy fires a power, Strange will damage them. But what's more is that StarLord's yellow countdown will make Rulk's purple cost just 5AP, and his green only 7AP.  This means 5 purple AP will fuel an entire casting of Rulk's green. Also, once the scaling starts to kick in on the higher nodes, you can usually pretty easily acquire a combined total of purple and green to fire his green power at 18 green AP. But it's also an option (especially against goon teams) to cycle the enemies around, weakening them across the board with Strange's passive, and spam Rulk's 'weak' green like crazy.

Maybe you could also replace Strange with someone else to go full-rainbow on Rulk/SL. For example Black panther (gain an extra AoE in black, beef up everything with yellow strike tiles) or Wasp.
  • Landale
    Landale Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2017
    My favorite team for Goon Nodes - Team Passive-Aggressive (no green, no black):
    • Coulson (4/3/3)
    • Starlord (3/5/5)
    • Strang3 (5/3/5)

This tends to work on nodes that have 1 or more goons.  However, it depends on how often they "fire" their powers (so, assassins with 0 cost sniper shot don't count).  Dons are a godsend for this group, and I have absolutely obliterated any group with 1 Don in it.  Bear in mind a couple things here:
    1. When any non-Coulson character fires a power, Coulson drops a 1-turn CD tile that deals some damage.
    2. When any friendly CD tile reaches 0, Coulson gives 2 random AP.
    3. If you make a match and have 6 or more Teamup AP, Coulson will drop the timer on a random friendly CD tile by 1 (sometimes you get a cascade of matches and CD tiles reaching 0 that I like to call the "Coulson Cascade").  The main drawback to this is that if Strange's Blue tile gets reduced in this manner, it does not damage the enemy.

Strang3 just does his thing and fires at the enemy when they fire a power.  I will use his Blue to stun and damage, especially if there's a pesky matching character I just want to shut down for a couple rounds.  SL drops his Yellow passive to get AP and reduce cost on almost every other power (when SL's Yellow tiles reach 0, you get 3 random AP, and then get an additional 2 random AP from Coulson).  Use SL's Purple to overwrite any nasty enemy tiles, and use his Red as the main active offensive power, powering it up with Coulson's active Yellow and Strange's Blue. It works great if you save enough Red to get a couple punches off (allowing SL to punch once, then Coulson drops a CD tile, then SL punches again except harder).  Occasionally I'll use Coulson's Purple if I really need to make a match on an enemy tile, or I'll use his blue if the enemy team has AP I want.

Fastest max damage: If SL has 1 Yellow out, then fire Coulson's Yellow which drops 3 CD tiles, then fire Strange's Blue for 1 CD tile, then Coulson reacts and drops an additional CD tile, totaling 6 CD tiles on the board, which is the max for SL's punch.  I've had times where there were 10 friendly CD tiles on the board (e.g. 2 SL Yellow, 2 SL Purple, 1 from Strang3, 3 from Coulson Yellow, and 2 from Coulson Passive), almost all of which went to 0 on the next round before cascading the board.

When played well, prioritizing the right targets, and barring any completely uncooperative boards, I haven't had to use any health packs - they tend to kill everything before any damaging enemy CD tiles reach 0.  Even a couple hits isn't bad with Strang3 in the party keeping everyone temp-healed.  
  • PFellah
    PFellah Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    edited April 2017
    I'm in the 3-4 transition, and my currently go-to is:

IM40  (5/3/5)
    Steve Rogers (3/5/5)
    Kamala Khan (5/3/5)

Since it's Iron Battery, the name of the game is yellow, yellow, yellow. Fire IM40s yellow to power Steve's red and blue, with KK's green serving almost as "extra" damage (I only seek green when there's nothing better to match or when it's one match away from being ready to fire). Maaaaybe use IM40 as a damage dealer late in the fight to finish things off, but Cap's red tiles and KK's green are doing most of the heavy lifting.

For Steve's countdown tiles, either take out enemy special tiles, or hide them in a corner where they're less likely to be matched. I *might* use a countdown tile to complete a Match-5 later in the fight just to end things quicker, but early on, it's about getting 2-3 copies of each tile circulating. Reds just pounding out fully-refundable damage; rotating 2 blues can basically stun-lock an enemy out of the fight entirely. As you're doing this, you're building up Cap shields and temporary health, so a) you're taking less and less damage and b) ideally, what damage you ARE taking is coming out of fake health rather than real health.

Weaknesses? Well, if you don't get yellow early (or IM40s tiles get matched away), it can struggle because Steve's powers are a little slower to start if you don't get IM40 help. In those cases, I'll try to focus on red and get at least one of Cap's damage tiles moving. Also, board-shake (Hulk, Storm, Juggs, etc.) can be a pain if it takes out Steve's tiles and you have to start rebuildng them from scratch, but you can mitigate that a little by focusing on the board-shake character and using Cap's blue tiles to stun that character out of the fight.
  • Dormammu
    edited April 2017
    PFellah said:

IM40  (5/3/5)
    Steve Rogers (3/5/5)
    Kamala Khan (5/3/5)
    This is a great team. Once you get Cap rolling it becomes all about board control and maintaining the existence of his countdown tiles. To that end I often substitute Kamala with 3-star Bullseye. His green offers you precise manipulation of the board while his purple is an effective counter against enemy tiles (an all-too common problem). If you can get Bullseye to down opponents the strike tiles he creates are dangerous as well. he also gives you black match damage.

Adding Bullseye makes this team supremely effective against goons, where you don't have enemy matches impeding your board control, but also against wave nodes when Bullseye's strike tiles can pile up quickly.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    I have two to offer. First my TBE team. Lots of fun but not very efficient for health packs
    5trange, Thano5 and 5* BP
    Mine are all at 255 with 2-5 covers each but the aim is simple. You need Thanos black and BP red the rest is largely unimportant. 

Approach: target the lowest HP person with heavy match damage. When they go down court death kicks in stunning everyone else. Depending on who just got killed there's a good chance the enemy is stunned on its turn. On your next turn the stun wears off and BP hits the next enemy for another 2.5k. Sometimes they go down straight away, if not they've been softened up a lot. Rinse and repeat. It is fast and fun and the synergy makes me smile. 

The next one is: 
    W4sp, Bl4de, C4rol
    my carol is champed but the other two are about lvl100 and are nowhere near finished. 

Approach:
    leave red on the board to get strikes. Collect blue so wasp starts making 1 turn countdowns each turn. Watch in awe as your strikes get buffed through the roof and you melt enemies away like so much butter. Again, it's not subtle but it's tons of fun. 
  • UnsmashableTim
    UnsmashableTim Posts: 81 Match Maker
    IM40, rulk and Peggy. 

6 yellow ap, lay the recharge. Collect 9 green in the meantime. Recharge goes off. Use Peggy's red, use her blue, stun two of them. Use rulks green. 

They usually don't get an ability off and they're dead
  • PFellah
    PFellah Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    edited April 2017
    Dormammu said:
    PFellah said:

IM40  (5/3/5)
    Steve Rogers (3/5/5)
    Kamala Khan (5/3/5)
    This is a great team. Once you get Cap rolling it becomes all about board control and maintaining the existence of his countdown tiles. To that end I often substitute Kamala with 3-star Bullseye. His green offers you precise manipulation of the board while his purple is an effective counter against enemy tiles (an all-too common problem). If you can get Bullseye to down opponents the strike tiles he creates are dangerous as well. he also gives you black match damage.

Adding Bullseye makes this team supremely effective against goons, where you don't have enemy matches impeding your board control, but also against wave nodes when Bullseye's strike tiles can pile up quickly.

Now that I champed him, I've also started playing around with Dr. Strange instead of Kamala on trash nodes where there are no enemy heroes because the passive is arguably more effective than waiting for powers to fire.