Guide to beating boss rush

Options

Comments

• Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    fmftint wrote:
    Rd 8 is bordering on impossible for me. Can't use either of the winfinites since my Storm is higher level than Hulk and my PX is higher than the other two. Any other suggestions?
    Alliance mates with MoStorm higher than Hulk have reported success using 2 star.png Storm instead

Her green is way better and the blue is decent damage. If mine was champed I'd try it out.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Options
    fmftint wrote:
    Rd 8 is bordering on impossible for me. Can't use either of the winfinites since my Storm is higher level than Hulk and my PX is higher than the other two. Any other suggestions?
    Alliance mates with MoStorm higher than Hulk have reported success using 2 star.png Storm instead

Her green is way better and the blue is decent damage. If mine was champed I'd try it out.

Her problem is that she's insanely squishy. Even max champed she only has enough ISO to last about a dozen match 3 to level 300 bosses, and almost any power that can hit someone not in front (like OML green or any of the AOE powers) could one shot her.
  • HawkGuy616
    HawkGuy616 Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    Options
    As my Mohawk tanks my Hulk, I went with Mohawk/Kahn/ 3* Thor (5/5/3). Occasional the green gets going, it'll carry you through all 3 rounds. If you start running low on green, Thor's yellow and KK's purple get you more. If worse comes to worst, Thor's red can hopefully generate enough yellow to jump start the cycle again.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I just killed Galactus on round 7 with ProfX, 3* Hulk and 3* Wolverine...
    Shame there are only few useful combos and most of them (ab)use invisibility.
  • Etheus
    Etheus Posts: 56
    Options
    On round 8 with Level 522 bosses.

Tinykitty your tinykitty Phoenix Boss in your tinykitty tinykitty. This is worse than Galactinykitty last year. At least you had 4 turns vs Galactinykitty last year.

My latest attempt to get past Phoenix, my Champion OML was dead after her second turn with my champion SS or Champion Cho due to get killed after I made another move. This is a team that has 129k health.

I am 1/5 against Rd 8 Phoenix. I managed to beat her with OML/Cho/XDP. It just took a Called Shot TU, eating her aoe which killed XDP, followed by a Penance Stare TU. I went in against SS with less than 30k health total and got destroyed quickly.
  • Kross
    Kross Posts: 82 Match Maker
    Options
    I agree with those who have said 4 star Cyc, MoStorm and Khan.

If you can avoid getting killed in the first round it is pretty easy to maintain, and if your Cyc is high enough lvl, with 10 TUs he will be doing 13k damage.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kross wrote:
    I agree with those who have said 4 star Cyc, MoStorm and Khan.

If you can avoid getting killed in the first round it is pretty easy to maintain, and if your Cyc is high enough lvl, with 10 TUs he will be doing 13k damage.

This is what I used to clear Round 7 (sort of), Winfinite went something like 2/8 for me and this combo went 3/7. It seems super squishy and needs a great board to start, but once it gets going it's just winfinite.
  • adamdivine
    adamdivine Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm still using storm, kk and 4cyc. In r8 I went 1.75/5. I am at 440000 left. So hoping I can finish. This team, once it gets going, is pretty bulletproof. If I don't die on the first few matches, the ai never gets another turn
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    adamdivine wrote:
    I'm still using storm, kk and 4cyc. In r8 I went 1.75/5. I am at 440000 left. So hoping I can finish. This team, once it gets going, is pretty bulletproof. If I don't die on the first few matches, the ai never gets another turn

How are you guys getting started with this team? Bringing anyone but Hulk and I'm dead before I even sniff 8 purple/10 green.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    adamdivine wrote:

How are you guys getting started with this team? Bringing anyone but Hulk and I'm dead before I even sniff 8 purple/10 green.

Yeah, I wasn't able to get it started with 4Cyke.

I did get started with Hulk, but had to use 2*Storm to tank, and it got stopped 2/3 of the way through Phoenix. I guess it could be tried with 3*Storm as long as you have red matches at the beginning to tank Hulk.
  • MLDB
    MLDB Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Options
    MLDB wrote:
    Here's my teams I've used (currently on r8):

For reference my roster includes champed 450 oml +~10 champed 4 stars, no other high 5s. My boss enemies scaled through the 400s

R6- oml (553)+rulk(355)+xfdp(355) plus damage boosts and 1 nuke tu. Cleared 5.9/7 attempts.
    Strategy: extend the fight against wolvie while building up AP and trying to get a few strikes out. Use rulk to deny green (I like using it when he has 6 green). Let wolvie waste red on you before downing him and unloading everything you can on phx to down her ASAP. Once she's down surfer is a joke. Do not allow oml to transform on wolvie match, it is better to just match damage him down and transform on phx because you need high health to get through phx.

R7-same team as above, but change tu to chohulk green (champed tu does 20k). Cleared 4.9/7 attempts
    Strategy- prioritize purple or green to deny banner the transformation. Let xfdp retals whittle him down. If you're at least 50% health going into surfer, the rest of match is easy enough. Use chohulk tu on surfer cosmic tiles to avoid his 9k damaging passive and let xfdp and strike tiles down him. Let xfdp retals and strike tiles down galactus as well.

R8- I won 1 match by swapping rulk for cyke...but only won 1/4. Stupid phx cascades...there's no defense to rng

Well I gotta call myself a liar, because I just beat r8.

Screenshot_20161015-234449_zpsmobv8hfo.png

Team: Credit goes to Etheus who suggested it in Line. 3 Hulk (5-3-5) Mohawk Storm (5-5-3) Kamala Khan (5-5-3) +2blue/purple AP +2 All AP + 3pool whale TU
    Strategy: Have hulk tank against Phoenix. If you're lucky, she doesn't get a crit and you get 2-3 Angers off her matches from the passive and match damage. Then use the green accumulated to use Mohawk Green->KK purple-> Mohawk Green-> Mohawk yellow. Launch DP whale to down Phoenix. The winfinite can break every so often and Phoenix is the only boss that can 1 shot the team with her crit 5 passive. Launch Mohawk green and yellow + KK purple ad naseum until Surfer and Galactus are down. If SS makes one or two matches, that's fine, just make sure hulk tanks so you can restart your winfinite Mohawk Green->KK purple.

I went 4/5 on the most recent round with the above team. 3pool whales are key, don't be afraid to use them!

And now I'll be on vacation because I hated this even it cost me >1k in gold buying boosts and health packs.
  • Etheus
    Etheus Posts: 56
    Options
    I have to give credit to Grumpysmurf for trying Hulkfinite. I used SSinfinte up to round 7 and got stuck. Then I switched to Hulkfinite for the rest of Rd 7 with no wipes.

Round 8 has been a different story. I had 3 wipes with Hulkfinite, 2 more with my 5*s, before finally getting a win with Hulkfinite in Rd 8.

Currently 1/7 in round 8, 1/5 using Hulkfinite.
  • Turbosmooth
    Options
    Great job, MLDB. I should try Hulkfinite once or twice.

For R8, I've had about a 60% success with oml+qs+5/5/0 px+fist purple TU+2 gr/bk AP+2 all AP. Scaling at 473 for me. I have a champ px for fun and a lv166 5/5/0 px special for winfinite. The latter only tanks blue, so purple is given to oml and no px yellow means less clutter for qs. My ability to use special px is usually very limited, so it is nice for him to find a use again.
    I've only gotten a few fist purple TUs, so I think I would have more success if I had it every time. The other failures are the unfair phx match 5 instant team death.

Match 5 by any means. So get some black and/or deny red, but oml needs to tank. Find an opportunity where a qs black will either match 5 or setup one. Remember TUs can swap, so you don't have that gsbw limitation. Use qs green liberally, but be careful not to block yourself. If a locked TU will potentially block your match 5, then don't take the risk unless you must have qs black cost come down one more.

If phx doesn't get "lucky", you have about 3-4 moves before you need to have your first match 5 and keep it going. If you get to SS and Galactus, you usually get 2-4 before you need to get back on track.

For R7: oml+rulk+xfdp+2 purple AP+2 all AP
    For R6 and below: oml+cho+xfdp
  • azmadu
    azmadu Posts: 63 Match Maker
    Options
    mindsuckr wrote:
    A slow and old, but safe combo would be KK, Hulk, and 3storm. KK at 3 green, Hulk at 3 red, and Storm at 3 black or yellow (depending on play style). Let hulk take damage to make green, then use green via storm to fuel her black/yellow to heal hulk (and KKs purple to make more green to fuel things more). It's pretty slow, but once it gets rolling it's really hard to lose. I've had hulk get down to less than 5% health, and then he just gets healed back up to full again with so many powers firing.

I tried this combo and OML just looked at me and laughed. I thought the best way would be take the Star Trek approach (WE NEED MORE SHIELDS CAPTAIN), so I employed Steve (I don't have 5* version yet), Flaptain and Doom and had some small success against OML until I realised his powers are different (g,r,y) from normal OML (b,y,r). In fact even Phoenix is different which I didn't realise, but with 45k health there isn't much I can do against any of them so I won't bother trying to beat them, just have some fun trying different combinations of characters.

My Cho and Kingpin are both too low (2/2/1 & 2/2/2) to be of any real use so I'm stuck with my 4* and a few boosted 3* to dish out enough damage. icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif
  • driverjoe27
    driverjoe27 Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Options
    This **** is ridiculis. Doesn't ANYONE EVER test these new fking events. Round 7 hulk kills everyone (including powered up characters) in 4 fkn turns. How the hell are you supposed to best this event. I'm so sick of these constsnt f ups by whoever programs these things.
  • azmadu
    azmadu Posts: 63 Match Maker
    Options
    MLDB wrote:
    MLDB wrote:
    Here's my teams I've used (currently on r8):

For reference my roster includes champed 450 oml +~10 champed 4 stars, no other high 5s. My boss enemies scaled through the 400s

R6- oml (553)+rulk(355)+xfdp(355) plus damage boosts and 1 nuke tu. Cleared 5.9/7 attempts.
    Strategy: extend the fight against wolvie while building up AP and trying to get a few strikes out. Use rulk to deny green (I like using it when he has 6 green). Let wolvie waste red on you before downing him and unloading everything you can on phx to down her ASAP. Once she's down surfer is a joke. Do not allow oml to transform on wolvie match, it is better to just match damage him down and transform on phx because you need high health to get through phx.

R7-same team as above, but change tu to chohulk green (champed tu does 20k). Cleared 4.9/7 attempts
    Strategy- prioritize purple or green to deny banner the transformation. Let xfdp retals whittle him down. If you're at least 50% health going into surfer, the rest of match is easy enough. Use chohulk tu on surfer cosmic tiles to avoid his 9k damaging passive and let xfdp and strike tiles down him. Let xfdp retals and strike tiles down galactus as well.

R8- I won 1 match by swapping rulk for cyke...but only won 1/4. Stupid phx cascades...there's no defense to rng

Well I gotta call myself a liar, because I just beat r8.

Screenshot_20161015-234449_zpsmobv8hfo.png

Team: Credit goes to Etheus who suggested it in Line. 3 Hulk (5-3-5) Mohawk Storm (5-5-3) Kamala Khan (5-5-3) +2blue/purple AP +2 All AP + 3pool whale TU
    Strategy: Have hulk tank against Phoenix. If you're lucky, she doesn't get a crit and you get 2-3 Angers off her matches from the passive and match damage. Then use the green accumulated to use Mohawk Green->KK purple-> Mohawk Green-> Mohawk yellow. Launch DP whale to down Phoenix. The winfinite can break every so often and Phoenix is the only boss that can 1 shot the team with her crit 5 passive. Launch Mohawk green and yellow + KK purple ad naseum until Surfer and Galactus are down. If SS makes one or two matches, that's fine, just make sure hulk tanks so you can restart your winfinite Mohawk Green->KK purple.

I went 4/5 on the most recent round with the above team. 3pool whales are key, don't be afraid to use them!

And now I'll be on vacation because I hated this even it cost me >1k in gold buying boosts and health packs.

Excuse me please, but what level are your 3* Hulk, Storm and KK? I got past OML but then I was toast and only KK was left standing after a couple of rounds against Phoenix... icon_eek.gif
  • MLDB
    MLDB Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Excuse me please, but what level are your 3* Hulk, Storm and KK? I got past OML but then I was toast and only KK was left standing after a couple of rounds against Phoenix... icon_eek.gif

Hi! I never used hulk/Mohawk/kk against any round with oml. For reference they're levels 190/176/210 respectively.

Against Oml in r6, I used my own OML, rulk, and xfdp.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MLDB wrote:

Hi! I never used hulk/Mohawk/kk against any round with oml. For reference they're levels 190/176/210 respectively.

Against Oml in r6, I used my own OML, rulk, and xfdp.

I tried your teams in round7, but no luck. Banner is level 530 so this is why I get it doesnt work. Hulkfinite was working, managed to do 60% of his life after 10 min, but then Banner got a match5 and my Hulk was done in just one turn. I tried again, and then he got two match4s and also done.

When you are in 5 land like me I think there is no team that can beat this bosses. That's it, I m done with this Anniversary...
  • Figure15
    Figure15 Posts: 284 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Anyone know if there will be 1 or 2 more flips at the end?

I.e Nodes reopen at 12hrs to go, will it flip again at 4 hrs to end? Thanks.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Figure15 wrote:
    Anyone know if there will be 1 or 2 more flips at the end?

I.e Nodes reopen at 12hrs to go, will it flip again at 4 hrs to end? Thanks.
    It always has, previously. But who can tell with certainty what will happen in this game anymore...