Guide to beating boss rush

Options

Comments

• fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    fanghoul wrote:
    Currently I can't get past Phoenix in Round 5, even with Hulk+KK+Storm. I'm not sure how I would since she unloads so much damage the first time she attacks. Plus lucky match-5s seem inevitable in that same round, leading to even more damage and stuns.

Huh, and this last time I managed to win easily despite losing Hulk in the first couple moves to a crazy combo. Maybe that made me focus more on the MStorm+KK synergy.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm in round 6 and KK Mohawk and Hulk got me through with Hulk losing 3k total health. It def requires time and luck but better than nothing.
    Also max Mohawk yellow not black

Right, because yellow does damage and collects those pesky TU tiles from the board so green fires and collects more color AP.
  • an1979
    an1979 Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Be aware that the game is bugged (insert BIG SURPRISE SOUND here) as *****

And if you use (Hulk)finite and if you manage to make "no moves given to boss" you might get a fat NOTHING!

I got 30.000 (or maybe even 15.000) in round 7 for at least 3 times instead of 45.000
    Points for one (or two) boss were not counted.

Before boss: 73.739
    2z4i9w5.png

All 3 bosses killed +45.000
    As it is counting down it should be: 73.739 - 45.000 = 28.739
    However only 30.000 is deducted: 73.739 - 30.000 = 43.739
    nfquc9.png

After boss ("outside): 43.739 where it should be 28.739
    9uc6zn.png

In the end I had to do about 4 more clears in round 7!

It seems you have to allow (both 2nd and 3rd) boss maybe one move near the end when you have ~30AP greentile.png to immediately clean after him?
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Round 7, level 563 bosses:

1/2 with MoStorm/Cho/SS
    0/1 with Mo/Rulk/SS
    1/2 with 2*Storm/Rulk/SS

...The scaling in this event is horrid.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Options
    carlito666 wrote:
    the best way to win
    invest money as much as you can to get all the 5 Stars maxed
    enjoy
    Except that isn't true.

There is a definite "sweet spot" for scaling in this event, where your 3 and 4* are all higher enough to be usable, and your scaling isn't so much to 1-shot them all.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    Cleared 7 w/ Kamala-3Hulk-MoStorm. Takes 20 minutes but bosses can't hurt you if they don't move.
    Is this really a reliable loop? Seems easy to run out of purple.

It breaks such that I have to make maybe 1-2 moves per boss. Nothing crazy. Hulk triggers on turn 1 so it's little effort to get moving.

For round 7 - banner creates more green anyway, surfer/galactus can only do match damage b/c you've (likely) cleared out all the cosmic tiles, or at least enough that adding a few won't hurt.

Round 8 - against PHX - just keep overwriting red with Kamala purple, or overwrite and let her have a turn with Hulk in front. Surfer/Galactus same thing.

Gamma Siphon or Deceptive Tactics TU's still work to generate green in a pinch. I brought IMHB red with me to at least have a 40k nuke to speed it up a little. Gonna try it with 3Punisher TUs too, that'll help with the speed too.

The only dangerous is if one of them cascades, but any cascade like that is gonna break whatever team you bring, so I don't think you're losing much. Obviously the higher the level you're facing, the more cascade danger there is. Hulk came close once or twice, dropped to about 3k health before resurrecting. Once you're moving though, Kamala/Storm are handling 95% of the load anyway.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    Options
    Assuming reliably randomized tile drops, yes. There's lots of variations .... Khan/GSBW, Mohawk, 4thor/Hulk/4cyke/Cmags ... Khan, Mohawk, 4cyke seems to be most reliable, offer the most board control / shake. Even if Tile RNGesus goes on a pink hate streak, you'll be collecting other colors with each fire of Mohawk green that can keep the board moving, until some pink shows up.

IF you can get it going, it works. So far my success rate in rd 7 is 1 in 3. And I've posted 4 failures in a row, with a low of 260pts icon_lol.gif

I tried Surfer-Kamala-Storm. Surfer died turn 3, rest of them by about turn 7. Sea of red everywhere, didn't even give me a chance to collect purple/green.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    Options
    Why try surfer though? Without a black battery (I mean a dedicated black gen, not the random ap collection from storm) he can't usually make enough singularities to generate much board shake. He probably tanked all colors and went down fast .... poor chrome dome.

I counted the moves (tile moves / powers fired) it takes to clear Rd 7. It took 63 moves. I thought it would be a lot more!

I tried Surfer because once the other two get going, I found with Hulk there was a ton of red/blue lying around. I figured combination of 10k nuke, heal, and charged tiles would be enough to power through quickly. Black was an afterthought. Plus he tanks purple which I thought might help save Kamala from PHX's wrath.

I'll try it again. I've got ~17 more whacks at it and only need to clear 6 full, and I know the Hulk group works.
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    madsalad wrote:
    I'm in round 6 and KK Mohawk and Hulk got me through with Hulk losing 3k total health. It def requires time and luck but better than nothing.
    Also max Mohawk yellow not black

Right, because yellow does damage and collects those pesky TU tiles from the board so green fires and collects more color AP.

Yellow also collects TU ap, ensuing TUs can be used and strengthening 4cyke red.

Anyone giving this a shot, don't forget to scan the board after every power fired for match-5s. Free moves and the resulting crits give ooomph to cascades the powers initiate.

I don't use team ups. I opt for boosts in match damage all colors. Between cascades and lightning storm I get my money's worth in damage through the whole match.
  • an1979
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Unfortunately Stom's powers don't get "boost" from boosts. The boosts work only on matched tiles (not "destroyed") and that's green most of the time.
    A pitty otherwise taking 5* with 3x much would ~double their strength...

So IMHO the best ones are "Black/Green +50%" and surprise! "Critical boost +125%"
  • Demolira
    Demolira Posts: 78 Match Maker
    Options
    I used Kamala/MoStorm/Cyclops to clear round 7 boss rush a few times, but I've had no luck in round 8.

My last attempt on round 8 ended on turn 2, where Phoenix collected 20 red, hit a match five, killed two chars and stunned the third. Ugh. I get significantly more points from the unlock nodes than the boss node, since I manage so little damage.
  • Mitchjewitz
    Mitchjewitz Posts: 84 Match Maker
    Options
    Anyone beat round 8 yet?

The farthest I've gotten is that I beat Phoenix and at the most taken 4k health from surfer. I used KP, Cho, and XFDP.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    Options
    Anyone beat round 8 yet?

The farthest I've gotten is that I beat Phoenix and at the most taken 4k health from surfer. I used KP, Cho, and XFDP.

Yeah, I cleared it (mine are level 492) with the KK/Storm/Hulk group. Took about 25 minutes, give or take.

Not the round yet, just the 90k battle. I'll finish the whole round tomorrow.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I had one shot at Round 8 and it ended on turn one. Her red popped a match-5 and didn't get to see my 2nd turn. It was clearly my own incompetence for not winning on turn 1...
  • an1979
    Options
    an1979 wrote:
    Be aware that the game is bugged (insert BIG SURPRISE SOUND here) as *****

And if you use (Hulk)finite and if you manage to make "no moves given to boss" you might get a fat NOTHING!

I got 30.000 (or maybe even 15.000) in round 7 for at least 3 times instead of 45.000
    Points for one (or two) boss were not counted.

Before boss: 73.739
    2z4i9w5.png

All 3 bosses killed +45.000
    As it is counting down it should be: 73.739 - 45.000 = 28.739
    However only 30.000 is deducted: 73.739 - 30.000 = 43.739
    nfquc9.png

After boss ("outside): 43.739 where it should be 28.739
    9uc6zn.png

In the end I had to do about 4 more clears in round 7!

It seems you have to allow (both 2nd and 3rd) boss maybe one move near the end when you have ~30AP greentile.png to immediately clean after him?

I have to stand corrected - givinng a boss one round does not secure your points in this buggy TinyKiTTy.
    You still get NOTHING from some bosses.

Round 8

Before boss: 384.607
    sngk5c.png

All 3 bosses killed +90.000
    As it is counting down it should be:
    384.607 - 90.000 = 294.607
    However this time only 60.000 is deducted:
    384.607 - 60.000 = 324.607
    2im6mqf.png

After boss ("outside): 324.607 where it should be 294.607
    72dsoz.png
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    an1979 wrote:
    snip..
    Does this surprise you? players have been reporting incorrect scoring since round 1, reset 1

There were 1-8k point discrepancies in perfect clears
  • spghttihead
    spghttihead Posts: 74 Match Maker
    Options
    Rd 8 is bordering on impossible for me. Can't use either of the winfinites since my Storm is higher level than Hulk and my PX is higher than the other two. Any other suggestions?
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Rd 8 is bordering on impossible for me. Can't use either of the winfinites since my Storm is higher level than Hulk and my PX is higher than the other two. Any other suggestions?
    Alliance mates with MoStorm higher than Hulk have reported success using 2 star.png Storm instead
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Anyone beat round 8 yet?

That's about how I'm doing on individual battles, anywhere from getting Phoenix 2/3 of the way down to minor damage on Surfer.

I have under 480K to go to complete the whole event.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Every player that participated in this event should get a Peggie Yellow cover.
    It's the fee they owe us for testing this un-balanced event.

The cruel joke is the nest upcoming PVE rewards a Peggie cover in Tier 7 Clarence Level progression, but of course it's Peggie Red. This way they can half-assedly claim they do give out Peggie rewards, even though it's not the Peggie rewards everyone wants. That's just how the devs go with this game.
    Rewards are randomly chosen my ****. Peggie Yellow is as hard as Hood Blue was to get back in the day (and still is for mid-tier players).

They should change this reward to Peggie Yellow as some attempts to make good to the player base, as player in Tier 7 are the players that need her the most. We know they can change rewards even after an event has gone live, as they have done it before (remember the Xforce Yellow at the 2K Sim progression several seasons ago and all the hate that caused?).