Boss Rush Event: Info & Rewards *Updated

Options

Comments

• madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Chronicler wrote:
    Update: I have faced the round 6 team challenge and I have come out victorious...

So, the trick to round 6 is don't let Phoenix or Surfer take a single turn.

I've found that's the correct strategy for all Boss waves. Don't let boss 2 or boss 3 take a turn.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, round 6, OML's matches are hitting for a minimum of 1k. That's just a plain 3 tile match with no cascade.

How is this meant to be fun?
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 701 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Tiger Wong wrote:
    Tiger Wong wrote:
    Well guys, I think I've found a team that can push you through round 4 & 5. Here's who I used.....

3* icon_ironman.png 4/4/5
    icon_shehulk.png 5/4/4
    icon_kamalakhan.png 3/5/5

All at lvl 176

I should change the covers a bit but we'll get to that later.

Im40 is the battery but a very important one. Don't use his red or blue unless it's a finisher. Keep the board free beforehand so the yellow can get off.

She-Hulk is the hitter, the drainer, and the healer at the same time. Use her red when the field doesn't have im40's yellow. The damage is eh, but what's important is the board shake. You're gonna be facing characters that have fortified tiles and CD tiles (GG and Cap) so her red can bring them down and/or destroy/match them on that turn or the next turn. Use her green A LOT. Drain the **** out of Cap, GG, IM46, Hulk, etc. they can't do anything without AP. And this keeps the healing going because you're gonna get hit, you're gonna get cascades against you and the occasional power against you. When the boss' AP is down to all 2 or less, only then should you use KK's green. Save her blue for those enemy tiles. You won't use IM's blue. It's for her to steal.

KK's purpleflag.png is key to fuel Shulks green, keep im40's yellow from matching during its countdown, and to prevent boss matches of their main colors. Her green should only be used to either finish off a TEAM (not just a boss) and only if you have 24 green.

When the team is together, everything flows and your health will fall but be regained. You can't afford to lose character but if you must, let IM take the fall. Shulk + KK can survive better than any other combination.

I'm gonna switch the covers to get more health from healing and have Shulk do more damage with her red.

Unfortunately, the initial board state determines how quickly you can get an engine like this running.

You're wrong. The initial board is irrelevant because you don't need a lot of AP to get started.

Im40's yellowflag.png is only 6 AP and two turns to stay out.
    Shulk's greenflag.png is only 6 and her redflag.png is only 9
    KK keeps the health up and her purpleflag.png is only 8

You only have 1 character at the start to deny their colors while getting started. Round 4 & 5, you start vs GG. It's not hard at all to deny him while getting yellow and green and then drain what he gets.

Agree to disagree. icon_e_smile.gif I don't dispute that this is an excellent team, but sometimes the colors don't land in a favorable way and it can be difficult to get that going in "only" two turns.

Edit: Of course, there are boosts, but that can get pricy after a while.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    madsalad wrote:
    I've found that's the correct strategy for all Boss waves. Don't let boss 2 or boss 3 take a turn.

Which would actually be fine if you could stun them.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tiger wong,

I like your team, it's a really good idea. But you are minimizing the difficulty if starting the engine. In round 5 GG does 900 damage per match3, almost 2.5k for a match4, and almost 4k with a crit.. Your team is 3x 3* characters that might have 14k health if you have gotten 30 or 40 champ levels.

And gg has two 5ap powers.

So its pretty hard to both collect the ap youneed and deny gg and prevent him from collecting any stray match4s. It doesnt take much to lose a squishy 3* in these fights.
  • Square-Chopper
    Square-Chopper Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Options
    The only silver lining here is that since they lied about it being an "alliance event", and it isn't, then I'm not hurting my alliance when I walk away from this tinykitty-show.
  • BassMuffinFIve
    Options
    XFW 5/5/3
    Kamahla Khan 5/5/3
    Magneto

Worked wonders for me until now. Round 6 is an entirely different story... Logan is not too bad, but once Phoenix shows up it's back to the forums to complain for me icon_e_wink.gif

edit: I have an all 3* roster, XFW being the only exception :/
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    "Working as Intended" - exactly one year later.

I'll just leave this here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34258
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm seeing more people actually talking event strategy. Have we reached Stage 5 - Acceptance already?
  • bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I know this is just retreading what everyone's said, but I just wanted to chime in with the main problems that I have with this event:
    • No alliance progression which normally makes these events way more fun as a team endeavor; limited info pre-event seemed to indicate that there WOULD still be a cooperative element
    • Virtually no communication before the start of the event regarding timing, structure, and rewards
    • Insane scaling of boss nodes causing them to quickly be unbeatable for many players or (at the very least) chewing through health packs with abandon
    • Wave structure and huge amounts of boss hit points generally cause 2nd and 3rd boss to start with ridiculous amounts of AP
    • Buggy boss characters
    • A game crash (sadly still common) during a boss node locks you out of the node
    • Individual progression rewards nowhere close to commensurate with difficulty level; Alliance placement rewards are laughably bad
    • The best point progression and round progression awards are virtually unattainable for most players

I don't mind very difficult fights, they can be fun and inspire new strategies, but this has gone beyond "very difficult" to the point of extreme frustration.

Ultimately, there is very little to like about this event. I could overlook some of the issues above, but there are too many problematic aspects for me to see a silver lining.

The fact that I am not earning progression alongside my alliance members is perhaps the most baffling part.
    The great sense of camaraderie that usually stems from alliance events has been surgically removed from Boss Rush.

I do like the overall concept, and perhaps various details can be reworked for future runs to provide a better player experience.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Still no communication from Mt. Demiurge.
    Guess this is harder to spin positively than anticipated.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Except for double ISO and possibly the anniversary vault (although, I, personally, don't want or need DD covers, so it's meh), the mini-season we had just before the anniversary was more fun and rewarding.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mpqr7 wrote:
    Boss rush would be great if it were two easier bosses, with the third being very tough.
    It doesn't even have to be that. If round 4 were round 8, this event would've been a blast. Instead, it's a blast to the face...
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I was totally thrilled when I beat the round 6 boss wave with enemy levels at 517-525 and got a cstorm cover from progression! icon_lol.gif
  • evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Okay so I finally have success with round 6 beat it 3 times using Kingpin, 4clops, and Rulk

Problem is I needed whales whales whales teamup on Jean grey in the second round each time or she took me out or left me with no health to fight surfer.

use rulk and kingpin purple to manage enemy ap, save all your kingpin black and yellow for surfer, and let cyke and rulk chisel away at oml.
    i`m currently out of dead pool teamups so waiting on that to complete the round
  • an1979
    an1979 Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    If we guess the safe word, can we make this event stop?

FLÜGGÅӘNKб€ČHIŒßØLĮÊN ?

udonomefoo wrote:
    "Working as Intended" - exactly one year later.

I'll just leave this here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34258

icon_lol.gif
  • az98
    az98 Posts: 30
    Options
    my 2cents.

I have a ton of max 3*s and thats it. I have a few undercovered underlevel 4 & 5* but they are unusable.

I am in round 3, the boss is level 260+ the nodes are level 33-50.
    ****!

Ive been beaten twice by this boss, and im ONLY LEVEL 3. My roster of 20 Maxed 3* cant even get me the first 3* reward....

This scaling is terrible, and im done with this horrible event.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    az98 wrote:
    my 2cents.

I have a ton of max 3*s and thats it. I have a few undercovered underlevel 4 & 5* but they are unusable.

I am in round 3, the boss is level 260+ the nodes are level 33-50.
    ****!

Ive been beaten twice by this boss, and im ONLY LEVEL 3. My roster of 20 Maxed 3* cant even get me the first 3* reward....

This scaling is terrible, and im done with this horrible event.

Not to be too overly positive (I agree this event sucks) but I have a roster very similar to you and had similar results. Remember that just because you lose to the boss' doesn't mean you get no points, you can still grind down losses. I'm partway into Round 5 right now and I haven't actually won a boss battle since Round 3 (maybe even 2). Not saying it's fun or good, just saying if you want the rewards it may still be possible to grind them out, if it's worth it to you.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Still no communication from Mt. Demiurge.
    Guess this is harder to spin positively than anticipated.
    You mean "your suppose to loose!" Is not the correct PR answer?

How about "we wanted each level to be challenging for all including the top 1%."
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    On a serious note anyone have a good team for round 6? I have been using OML, SS, and Hood. I have gotten past OML and Phoenix but surfer is just killing me.
    Also those are my only 2 5* I can use
This discussion has been closed.