Hit 13 times in one hour by one person

judge judy
judge judy Posts: 14
edited March 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
So somebody sent a message, and I need help translating. Some background:

I can't/won't use LINE or other outside communication.
I'm in a top 100 alliance.
I have 2 champed 5*, and a 12 cover 5*.
I start late slice 4, climb until progression and stop.
I literally only see the same 20 people until 900. After that selection expands a bit, but it's champed 5* from the beginning.
I skip until I get a 70+ point, go to the next spot, do the same, until I have 3 70+ pointers. After that, I alternate nodes to give everybody a chance to shield. Sometimes, I leave a 75 pointer up and alternate between 2 nodes. I stop at full progression.
I have seen maybe 1 cupcake in the wild, and I follow the above.
I skip anybody in my alliance, but don't look/care who the other people are. I don't look/care who the toons are.

So during Cage Match, somebody hit me 13 times in one hour. I started 3.25 hours before end, and followed the above pattern. I didn't notice hitting anybody in particular, and skip people I've hit recently.

What was the message? How do I avoid this in future? Please be specific - saying "i upset an alliance" doesn't help me if I can't change a behavior.

Edit: Person replied below, but refused to provide a message. Must conclude there is no message. Nothing to see here.

Edit: There is no message. We're good.

Comments

• Kjeldbjerg
    Kjeldbjerg Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    If you didn't double or triple someone, you didn't do anything wrong according to the "unwritten" rules.

However, there will always be butthurt people in any games, so you might just have hit someone while they were close to progression, and they decided to get their revenge (and forget their own rules along the way).

Or maybe you were just hit by someone who, like you, could only queue the same 20 people, and you were the only non-friendly of the bunch
  • Or maybe you were just hit by someone who, like you, could only queue the same 20 people, and you were the only non-friendly of the bunch

That was my initial thought, but my alliance mates reported something different. Also, there were other targets out there - I was climbing also.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    depending on who it was, I can name at least 6-8 people who'll do it just to do it, because that's who they are. and can name several alliances that can make life miserable if you "mis-step". would need to know who it was though.
  • zonatahunt
    zonatahunt Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Basically someone is probably butt-hurt at you. In my opinion there's no excuse for that kind of extreme gameplay...but if you are the ONLY target worth anything, then there's a reason. If the points they gained from hitting you were less than 30 points then they were being spiteful.

Just keep playing the way you do, as it's a respectful style. You'll occasional run up against ****-nuggets like this person sadly.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you are on a KOS list, the late climbing enforcers will go out of their way to hunt you down. While you may not be paying attention to who you are hitting, those getting hit are and will report being hit by you to their group.

The only way to get off a KOS list is to get into contact with the alliance in question and try to negotiate something which will at the very least mean you will have to shield check or avoid hitting that alliance's members. And since it seems you don't use LINE it will probably be the latter.

What makes it a bit more complicated is that it probably isn't just one alliance you have to be careful of since most top alliances have truces and work together. But usually it's only one or two that employ enforcers.

Anyway, I can't think of any other way out of that situation. Good luck!

Edit to add: And yes, i know i am the butt-hurt king but it wasn't me this time lol

And btw welcome to the forums judge judy! ^-^)ノ☆
  • brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    How petty do you have to be to enforce a KOS policy on a match 3 puzzle game?
  • Kjeldbjerg
    Kjeldbjerg Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    Not petty, just different approaches to the game.
    Some like sniping, some like honoring truces, others still enjoy the concept of enforcing and some just hit whichever target pops up.
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    2 champed 5* puts you into a pretty narrow Q window when climbing. This may be a combination of KOS or lack of other targets.

Hard to get a ton of sympathy with your roster though icon_e_smile.gif
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    brisashi wrote:

Believe it or not the various rivalries, sniping, enforcing, etc can add some spice and fun to the game. Oh it's <insert name of player that hit you before you hit progression goal>! ATTAAAAACKKKK
  • Tee
    Tee Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    That's a thing that happens?

Damn man. Do I even want to PvP? I usually just attack people based on teams not the names.
  • So basically, ignore it - there is no message, so no need to change anything...

Got it.

It's literally impossible to avoid hitting a member from an alliance of alliances at this level, so basically they are attempting to drive away players/competitors.

I expect no sympathy. I've been lucky drawing the allmighty 5*. I'm just hoping somebody would write down the "unwritten rules" so that non-communicators can avoid this.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 628 Critical Contributor
    brisashi wrote:

Life is petty. Life is cold. Looks like some match-3 puzzlers need to wake up and realize this is a dog-stabs-dog-in-the-back-and-then-eats-dog world.

//jokes icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 628 Critical Contributor
    cyineedsn wrote:
    Believe it or not the various rivalries, sniping, enforcing, etc can add some spice and fun to the game. Oh it's <insert name of player that hit you before you hit progression goal>! ATTAAAAACKKKK

Inversely to that, I go out of my way to not attack respected forumites (or any at all if I recognize a name), as so many long-timers on here have continued to be so incredibly civil and helpful as we approach 3 years of MPQ.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    judge judy wrote:
    What was the message? How do I avoid this in future? Please be specific
    You've doubled me at least once before, so if I had to guess, I'd say you doubled someone who takes it way more personally.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    judge judy wrote:
    It's literally impossible to avoid hitting a member from an alliance of alliances at this level, so basically they are attempting to drive away players/competitors.

I expect no sympathy. I've been lucky drawing the allmighty 5*. I'm just hoping somebody would write down the "unwritten rules" so that non-communicators can avoid this.

That's actually a good point! Yeah, pretty much once you reach 5* level your target options are limited to top alliance players and considering your playstyle it is inevitable that you are going to get on their bad side during your climb.

The ultimate goal of enforcing is to either have you join the fold and shield check or drive you out of the slice/game.

My alliance mates seem to have an easier time late climbing in s1 or s3 but I don't know if you are willing/able to play in a different slice.

But if you do continue to soldier on in s4 know that you are not alone icon_e_smile.gif (not sure that actually helps lol)
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    brisashi wrote:

Life is petty. Life is cold. Looks like some match-3 puzzlers need to wake up and realize this is a dog-stabs-dog-in-the-back-and-then-eats-dog world.

//jokes icon_e_biggrin.gif

Jeez, somebody woke up on the wrong side of the moon today.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Welcome to PVP MMR once you have multiple champed 5*.

It's a narrow field of targets, and a good chunk of them are allied together, so it's hard to find ones that aren't. Even if you are hitting them infrequently... hitting someone for -70+ points is a tough pill to swallow, especially if it happens multiple times.

With the limited number of targets, made even smaller if you are in an alliance-wide truce, it gets very hard to climb sometimes. People who work outside of that system are just part of a very small target selection.

You have a couple other options. Join a bigger alliance family, who will tell you who to hit or not hit. Or, stick to targets who play outside the alliance/truce system.
  • Maceo511
    Maceo511 Posts: 67 Match Maker
    judge judy wrote:
    So basically, ignore it - there is no message, so no need to change anything...

Got it.

I think the message is not to do the skip thing, maybe hit hat 70 pointer as soon as it appears. The faster you climb, the better, right?
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been on both sides of this, multiple times for multiple reasons. No Line as I started the 3*->4* transition. Was a long-time line user and coordinator as I started 5* transition. Circumstances happened, lost Line, went 4-5 seasons without it again. Got it back again recently, right back in coordination with folks. I get both sides!

Folks without line: Maybe they don't have a device that can support it! (that was my issue, btw). Maybe they don't have time to coordinate! Maybe the individual/alliance like to hit specific others!

Folks with line: Maybe they have a harder time progressing without it! Maybe they enjoy the different game-play style that Line presents! Maybe they have larger alliances than 20, and want to make sure not to hit each other!

SOLUTIONS:
    WIDER MMR! A huge problem at all levels!
    ONE-TIME VIEWS (see each person only once/event). Eliminates skip tax. Eliminates some coordination.
    SHIELD BREAK RELIEF (no hits for first 10 minutes after you break a shield!)
    NAMELESS ROSTERS (can't hit your own alliance).

That last one is what I -still- think would be a good solution, even as a Line user that really enjoys the community there. Personal attacks, for whatever reason, are just not good for game morale. All attacks should be based on calculations of strength of rosters and points they are worth - nothing else.

In this (specific) situation I can comfortably say the OP is not trying to hunt specific individuals or alliances, but just climbing with no communication (and very few views of player names, often only rosters/points!). I also can say when I was without Line myself I told myself the following: "I'll never hit players from alliance "Name"! I'll never hit players more than once!"...and that lasted right up until the third event I tried, where there is just no way not to double-tap (or more...) the same players over and over, since they are the only ones you see (solved by solution #1)

CC's have worsened the situation. Now individuals/alliances that were over-performing with lesser rosters by coordinated hops are not getting as many points. Some of these are upset they can't make the progressions they used to. Some still can make progressions - but the hops now take MUCH longer, and leave folks out there for lots of hits. Solution #3 above would solve this....

But again...I see the bad feelings on all sides, and can only say "it's just a game" I guess. It's not a bad thing to bring light to these bad feelings that are out there! I see folks upset that they can't hop fast enough and hit progressions. I see folks upset they get hit by the same person/alliance intentionally (sniping) all the time. I see folks upset that their team-mates can't progress or are hit by folks that won't coordinate. I see folks upset that they are hit many times by "enforcers".

D3....are those the feelings you want in your game? Bad blood and revenge against specific individuals in the hearts and minds of players? Remove the names, and it's a lot easier to let go of those losses.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Everything is tightened up without cupcakes. This time you were the cupcake. I'm not at that level yet but I struggle to find targets worth anything more than 27 points one I'm past 600 or so points. I play slice 1 or 2 usually and at around 500 points I'm almost always in the top 25. So I've gotta smash whoever I can, however many times it takes to get my prizes. And I can't spend thousands of iso scrolling through the same 20 or so players to be nice and not hit somebody multiple times. I get my highest progression possible until I get gangbanged and that's just what PvP is. I'd hit somebody 100 times and slap their momma for a Peggy. The blame is on the devs. The system is fundamentally broken.
This discussion has been closed.