Season XXXII: Highlights & Changes

Comments

• fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Will we be getting a Clearance preview with SS of various levels like we did for story mode?
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    This change is 100% counter-intuitive to their desire for more varied match-ups. I'm not even a hardcore PVP player and I can see the glaring flaws in it.
  • For everyone talking about using winfinite to climb - not counting sim - it's not feasible. Remember - you have to use the featured character. It'll only be usable in BW and SW events.
  • HxiiiK
    HxiiiK Posts: 195 Tile Toppler
    How to balance the game

1. Make everyone see defensive teams as OML and Phx

2. Bring down nerf bat on OML and Phx, preferably on a Friday evening

3. Go home and enjoy the weekend
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    SnickerDog wrote:
    For everyone talking about using winfinite to climb - not counting sim - it's not feasible. Remember - you have to use the featured character. It'll only be usable in BW and SW events.
    But the point still stands that you can use a heavily offensive team with little defense without having to worry about much of a drawback.

MN Mags makes for some nice combos, but I would never use him because I would get murdered on D... Not anymore though!
  • You can say I'm incorrect - but I'd like to see how well you do with gsbw/px/featured 3* vs high level 5*s who will take out your team in 10 moves with just match damage.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2016
    SnickerDog wrote:
    You can say I'm incorrect - but I'd like to see how well you do with gsbw/px/featured 3* vs high level 5*s who will take out your team in 10 moves with just match damage.

Boosting +2 purple, you only need to make 3 purple matches to get the cycle started. It won't be perfect, but it will give weaker rosters a shot against 5* teams.

And the larger point remains true. There are many characters that create powerful combos in the hands of a smart player. But are vulnerable on defense because of low health or stupid ai usage. The price of using those teams just dropped hugely. As did the value of defensive characters.

It's too early to say for sure if the net result is positive or negative. But it's a huge change to make in-season with little warning/explanation, and no testing.

And since players all tend to level the same strong characters, it seems very likely that this will also result in less opponent diversity in PvP.

Also. Its a huge fu to people who acquire rng covers for some champs that form a terrible defensive team. Its entirely possible that some players with multiple 4* champs will end up with Elektra/xdp as their defensive pairing because they happened to get more champ covers for those characters. And others will get nova/punmax or some other strong combo. And what about 3* rosters with 1-cover 5*s? Are they now stuck a 1-cover 5cap instead of their real A-team of iron fist + 3*cyclops?
  • Schlagen13
    Schlagen13 Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    The way I read it, your defensive team is the strongest team you use, not the 2 strongest characters plus the featured character.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    You are taking away the sole reason I buy a Stark each month? Smart move.

Let's see how well that works out for them, Cotton.
  • Bishop
    Bishop Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    edited September 2016
    Defensive teams rarely won anyway. AI picks your defense?...still no difference. If a defense team won it was probably because of 5* teams vs a 4* or lower teams. Or a 4* team vs a 3* team (cascades). OML, Phoenix teams? There already there, still no different. As far as grinding goes welcome to the game the rest of us play. Congratulations you cc players probably invited the nerf hammer on yourselves (this is what happens when you exploit). They always said they may have to tone the 5*'s down when more people play them, well that time is here now they are looking at that carefully. I hope it doesn't come to that but will see.
    I bring up nerfs because it really feels like they are considering it..
    This is just a test to see how it works anyway it may work it may not it will also prove useful in the long run if future nerfs are needed. Most people (including me) seem to not want nerfs but that doesn't mean they aren't needed. If there wasn't any whaleing and exploiting then we wouldn't have OML's and Phoenix all over the place in the first place just partly coverd 5's. Even I whaled (once) but not becuase I wanted an advantage I just like rhulk and clopes, and I like Jean too but wasn't quite rich enough for that one.
  • Vhailorx
    Schlagen13 wrote:
    The way I read it, your defensive team is the strongest team you use, not the 2 strongest characters plus the featured character.

That's possible. But the statement is vague, so lots of things are possible.

And even if you are right, how is strongest determined? If players have input on defensive feams, then we will figure out a way to leverage the system for maximum advantage. And if we don't have any input. Then some players will get screwed for extrinsic reason like rng roster progress and imperfect "strongest" algorithms.

Bishop: you are very lucky that you just happened to like there of the best 5 or 6 4*s in the game! Would you still have whales of your favorites were Mr. F and Cho?
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    What if you could set your defensive team permanently? Say if the first team you won a match with was locked in for the rest of the event, and did not change?

Seems to me, that would work better. I don't really play PvP much, but when I do, I switch my teams around, depending on who I'm facing. Looks like, with the new system, I could accidently change my defensive team and not know it.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    How about people wait until we have more details before crying wolf about how we can't pick our defensive teams at all anymore and how this ruins the game. For all we know, they define cupcakes as teams 100+ lower levels than your top 5 characters, so you can still probably have a championed 3 star with a low champ 4 star. We don't know, and we should wait for more details.
  • Set "strongest" as a team that u won the most games in event. Plain and simple
  • Vhailorx
    notamutant wrote:
    How about people wait until we have more details before crying wolf about how we can't pick our defensive teams at all anymore and how this ruins the game. For all we know, they define cupcakes as teams 100+ lower levels than your top 5 characters, so you can still probably have a championed 3 star with a low champ 4 star. We don't know, and we should wait for more details.

No, they should provide more details. This is too big a change to hang on a vague statement like "your kast strongest team will remain your Defensive team."
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    New challenge: extreme baking.

Since it still has to use a team you won with, run the entire event with a cupcake team so you can bake points at the top...
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2016
    SO NOW WE CANT try out Elwktra or buffed 330 Invis Woman if our real strongest defense team is with 271 Iceman.

Goodbye team diversity, goodbye can use any team for fun
  • Bishop
    Bishop Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    SnickerDog wrote:
    You can say I'm incorrect - but I'd like to see how well you do with gsbw/px/featured 3* vs high level 5*s who will take out your team in 10 moves with just match damage.

icon_lol.gif You'll be praying your PX stays invisable just to win about 2/3 into the match. Make sure you kill Phoenix last!
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wonder if this applies to retaliation nodes too?
  • DC1972
    DC1972 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    I know I used to shield hop after I queued three CC because I could eat the cakes and reshield before getting blasted on defense. Even if less points are being lost who will shield hop if you are facing three A teams? It will take way too long to do three matches and the potential point gain for winning one match won't be worth it. Also, who is going to spend ISO looking for a "weaker" opponent if all teams are going to be strong? I used to cycle for ages and spent thousands of ISO looking for CC. Maybe some will continue to cycle for the chance of finding a weak team. So I am thinkkng less HP in shield hips and less ISO for the skip tax.