Season XXXII: Highlights & Changes

Comments

• notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Yes! I've been looking for these changes for a while.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    fmftint wrote:
    Cool, now everyone will winfinite climb after crushing seed teams with their strongest characters

Yeah, but since cupcakes are gone it means everything is fair and the game will finally BE PLAYED THE WAY IT'S MEANT TO BE PLAYED!! The purity! The absolute, unquestionable PURITY!!!!!!
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm excited about these changes. In my two years, I rarely used ccs. I'm happy prog won't be as long of a slog, and hopefully I won't spend the last 5 battles trying to win those last few points. We'll see!

And thanks for champion rewards!

How do we know what our defensive team will be? I want to use some wacky teams to climb, but I don't want to make accidental ccs.
  • Darknes21
    Darknes21 Posts: 321 Mover and Shaker
    THE END IS Rear
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    So...here's a question. If i dont put in a significantly weaker team but put in a slightly weaker team, will that go out? Thinking Rulk week, lot of 5* guys will use rulk rather than their phoenix. I tend to wipe to rulk teams more often, so will this put their phoenix out? Also, what defines "best" team? If i have a 360 SS and 2 272 champed 4*, and the 4* have better abilities, does the game put out SS because he's a few levels higher as well as a 5*? Can we get the math on wins / losses?

Good questions. What if I want to finish a climb with a defensive team like ThingPool? Is that even possible anymore?

This seems poorly thought out, and the details are so vague that not even the most veteran players will know what the hell to do in the first event from a strategy standpoint. My assumption is that it will be "figured out" pretty quickly. If not, I don't see any positive gain that will occur.

To the people happy for this change, congratulations! I assume you have max champed 5*, because you won't be hitting prog without bakers pumping points into the slices if you don't. Or, if you do then you will need more shields and spending more money to get there.

From a monetary standpoint, this is either brilliant or incredibly short-sighted. For people to compete, they will need to get more cp and join more buyers clubs and spend, spend, spend their way into competitiveness. People that used to make 1300 with cakes easily will now need to hop more and have shorter hops so they don't get slammed down.

On the other hand, all of the people that were competing for high scores will....stop. That means the people spending the most money on shields will lower their spend rates. Assuming that the top scorers spend more than anyone on shields this will be a net loss.

Also, the game is going to be more of a slog, more boring, and less engaging. I warned in a previous message that LINE and the community there have made this game much more interesting than it really is and driven a large portion of revenue for this game. De-emphasizing the community aspect and benefits derived from it will damage the potential of this game for long term survival.
  • Jathro
    Jathro Posts: 323 Mover and Shaker
    What will retal nodes look like?
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    Only way this doesn't drive people away is if hit losses are negligible.
  • Darknes21
    Darknes21 Posts: 321 Mover and Shaker
    When does MPQ 2 come out?
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    ...Man I am glad they are talking about nerfing OML/PHx so that we get to see some different teams!

Wait... The game takes your strongest team? Did they just essentially guarantee that nearly everyone that has OML/PHx will have that as their defensive team regardless of whether or not they swap them out?
  • Thorin radd
    Thorin radd Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    Ok David explain this. This season will be fun, but i expect major backlash on the "strongest team". Quake is a staple for me either boosted or not with an aoe players pvp. In addition with a board shaker jg is used 5 blue. And a stunner I leave ss out there. Kate us used for healers 5 blue. A heavy hitter I use Thing. Youve created defensive characters and now we cant use them? Switching teams is Standard. I have a Strong offensive team when my climbing. But when my team is hurt and I want to conserve hp I thow out a defensuve team . Its not about bakers it about it is OUR GAME, OUR INVESTMENT AND OUR DECISIONS not YOURS. Make this change for one season fine. But you should not determine who I leave out there. Why dont you fix the lag, the constant failures of timing instead of an issue that you should not have been involved in. WHATS NEXT Are you going to determine who I champ next? Or what shard I have to go in. DAVID THIS CHANGE MOCKS THE GAME.
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    Another quick point, I guarantee this change will have a more lasting and powerful effect on this game than taking OML out back and giving him the Old Yeller treatment. The buffs are now, in my mind, insignificant.

But who am I kidding? This system will get broken just like the last one and the one before that.
  • I completely understand why you would get rid of cupcakes. The concept of a cupcake is stupid. You shouldn't be able to game the system by coordinating easy victories on LINE and having players hit 4000+ points a PVP. That should be extremely obvious to everybody.

The PROBLEM with what you have done is you allowed cupcaking to go on for what now? A year? There is now a chasm between the haves, who have been gaming the system for several months in order to hit the 1300/25 CP goals in every event, and the have nots, who have not reached that level yet and now never will. Veteran players already have stacked rosters full of maxed 5 star players because you allowed this to go on for several months and now newer players will not have the same advantage and will have to climb fairly.

You should have eliminated cupcaking immediately if you were going to get rid of it at all. Now you're putting all of your newer players at a very serious disadvantage. It's going to hurt the game in the long haul.
  • BillyBobJoe
    BillyBobJoe Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    ZeroKarma wrote:
    Good questions. What if I want to finish a climb with a defensive team like ThingPool? Is that even possible anymore?

Weaker team NEEDS to be defined.

What if I purposely want to leave a 3* in with my 5/4* team? Ex/ HB/IRON FIST or OML/IF?

I may have climbed with HB/DP4, but DP4 isnt very good on defense.

I may have climbed with a 420 OML/315 phoenix, but champed THING/POOL is a greater PITA.
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Hi folks,

The last change that is coming to Season 32 is a slight change to how defensive teams work. Starting with Fist Bump, your strongest team will remain your defensive team. If you win a match with a significantly weaker team, your defensive team will still be your last strongest team. We have also reduced the scores required to achieve progression rewards. We have also adjusted how points are gained and lost to reduce the amount of points lost from losing a battle or being attacked.

Awesome. So now I can beat somebody with my super strong defensive team and let that stay as a defensive team and then switch to my more consistent Winfinite team and destroy everybody without fear of being torn apart myself? I am sure am glad I didn't champion my Professor X. Winfinite consists of unchampioned Professor X, Scarlett Witch and Grey suit Black widow and can basically beat any team in the game.

Now we don't have to level a bunch of characters anymore, well maybe champion Carnage now.
    We can just keep winfinite, and don't have to invest in 5 star rosters, because the 5 star rosters won't be able to see us thanks to MMR.
    When you guys close one door, you open up other ones.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 wrote:
    I'm excited about these changes. In my two years, I rarely used ccs. I'm happy prog won't be as long of a slog, and hopefully I won't spend the last 5 battles trying to win those last few points. We'll see!

And thanks for champion rewards!

How do we know what our defensive team will be? I want to use some wacky teams to climb, but I don't want to make accidental ccs.

I am not at all sure that these changes will make progression easier to reach. Sure, the targets are lower, but if There are many fewer points in the system, it may be harder to float above 500 points

Ae_fios: hitting 1300 every event in all of 2016 would not have been enough to max a 5* roster. There are gets who have deep 4* rosters, Maybe an oml or Phoenix at 420+, and hit 1300 fairly easily with line, and there are the super elites with lots of 450+ 5*s. The latter group spends a lot of cash.
  • Soma
    Soma Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    fmftint wrote:
    Cool, now everyone will winfinite climb after crushing seed teams with their strongest characters

ZeroKarma wrote above about the best strategy being figured out pretty quickly. It only took fmftint 10 minutes!

I fear there may be many unintended consequences to this change...
  • Vhailorx
    And another question for demi: what is the value of a defensive character like carnage now? If he can't be thrown into a defensive team at just before shielding, then what purpose does he serve in the game? He is **** for climbing or grinding.
  • Vhailorx
    The last change that is coming to Season 32 is a slight change to how defensive teams work. Starting with Fist Bump, your strongest team will remain your defensive team. If you win a match with a significantly weaker team, your defensive team will still be your last strongest team. We have also reduced the scores required to achieve progression rewards. We have also adjusted how points are gained and lost to reduce the amount of points lost from losing a battle or being attacked.

And ANOTHER question for demi.

Isn't it a little disingenuous to call this a "slight" change?

Defensive teams aren't just some small niche thing in PVP. They literally create the universe of possible opponents. Completely changing the way the that universe is populated, and doing so without offering any details on the new system, is a massive change to bury at the end of a long list of changes with less than 48 hours notice.
  • Hibbidy
    Hibbidy Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    The game picking your team for you...

iCWC9XW.jpg
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    I'm sure they're going to come in and say more tomorrow, but if it were me, I'd keep it simple and just use either total levels or average levels. So, for instance, if the average level of your current defensive team is more than 75-100 levels higher than the last team you won with, then the current defensive team stays. Which, generally speaking, would allow you to experiment with different teams, especially in Shield Sim (the idea would need tweaking for Character PvPs, as at higher levels the difference between boosted and unboosted 4* can get near that level).

But now that I've typed that out and thought about it, it doesn't work for the people that have leveled a few of their characters way past everyone else on their roster (i.e. champed 5*).