*** Captain America (Super Soldier) ***

Options

Comments

• Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    inEden wrote:
    That's interesting. If a character is stunned, their passives don't activate? For example Hulk or Daken's strike tiles?

True. Any passive skill (Hood's AP steal, Daken's Strike Tiles, Hulk's Green, everything) stops functioning as long as the character is stunned. That isn't limited to just Cap's blue, but the big advantage that Cap offers (both in 3* & 2* variants) is the ability to recast for only 1 more AP 1 turn after his opponent recovers. In essence 1 turn for every 3 turns of your own. That is of course if you can protect hit tile turning those turns, but if you plan where to place those tiles, it's pretty rare that a bad cascade destroys it.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Red Panda wrote:
    inEden wrote:
    That's interesting. If a character is stunned, their passives don't activate? For example Hulk or Daken's strike tiles?

Also Cap not playing well with Hulk is a bummer. I dumped 20 levels worth of ISO into Hulk last night (had an excellent night farming iso with one of the events finishing as well). I figured Hulk's Green is decent as I found it can reset the board somewhat when I need more reds for Cap. I can always try to pair Cap, Hulk and Ares as a fun team to bum rush people.

My current team is Cap, Hulk and OBW/A. Wolverine/ Ares/ C Storm.

I actually have 2/0/5 Hood that I haven't leveled yet. I am reluctant to use him as I don't have any blues for the guy but his black should go excellent with Cap. In MPQ, Strike team Cap is my favorite character so I am stoked that he's my main.

I really want 3* Daken though. Just having no luck with pulling covers for him.

Lastly, what is a good team with Cap and Hood? I'm not sure about Cap tanking so I am guessing a tank to go with them? I guess my first proper 3* team would be Cap, Hood and the third one I'll need your suggestions.

Thanks ladies and fellas.

Black Panther to tank yellow & blue for Cap & all colors for Hood
    Iron Man 40 with only 1 or 2 yellow covers to feed blue & red AP, you can also use Hood's intimidation to speed up recharge timers.
    LThor pairs well and benefits from Hood's AP drain
    Colossus mostly tanking for Hood and can throw Cap with Fastball Special

Besides those that was mentioned by red panda, the other option is Xforce.

Xforce-Lcap-hood plays well together. Hood steals the ap to feed Xforce and lcap. You have 5 great active ability, Xforce green and black, lcap red and blue and hood yellow.
    And because you can use all colors except purple, you are likely to be able to use the ap you got from Xforce surgical strike. It is a very well rounded team.
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I am assuming the person that voted for a 5/3/5 ideal build made a mistake or is a believer in pacifism
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Noobish question, but given the premium of slot space, if you have a maxxed out 2 star Cap and then get Steve Rogers up to the same build, is it worth keeping 2 star cap or can you safely delete? Same would go for 2 vs 3 star Thor.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Noobish question, but given the premium of slot space, if you have a maxxed out 2 star Cap and then get Steve Rogers up to the same build, is it worth keeping 2 star cap or can you safely delete? Same would go for 2 vs 3 star Thor.

From a PvP perspective, no it's a waste of roster space. From a PvE perspective, yes keep both.
  • Changedx
    Options
    I'm missing a 5th red LCap cover. From the "Current Character Absences" http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19997 it looks like it won't be available from tokens or rewards this PvP Season 11. Can anyone verify that before I sink 1250 HP into it?
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Changedx wrote:
    I'm missing a 5th red LCap cover. From the "Current Character Absences" http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19997 it looks like it won't be available from tokens or rewards this PvP Season 11. Can anyone verify that before I sink 1250 HP into it?
    You pretty much verified it yourself. You have permission to buy it.

(That fifth red is awesome and worth it IMHO. I went from regularly T50 to a consistent T15 in PvE after receiving his fifth red from the double-reward Heroic Venom that ran a ways back.)
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Agreed, LCap's fifth red is crazy good.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I wish I hadn't thrown Cap away when I first started. Had 1 of each of his covers and, knowing what I know now, I'd have happily bought him out.

I unfortunately received some very bad advice, saying that I should not waste the HP on a roster slot and instead sell Cap to make room for Ares, as Ares would be easier to complete than Cap and Cap was a poor return on investment, being somewhat useful in PvE and not useful in PvP.

-.-'

Now, I have a 5/0/0 Cap. Haven't pulled a red or a blue since those first 2.
  • Changedx
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'm only a few HP away -- as soon as I hit 1250, I'll pull the trigger and level him to ~150 while I'm at it. Will pair well with Xforce and Hood. icon_twisted.gif
  • The danger of pairing Cap with XForce is you have to be very careful not to nuke your shield return countdown tiles, and it's really easy to do with all of XForce's powers. They all do a lot of board demolition, meaning not only can you smash those countdowns outright but the resulting cascades can get you as well. The color pairing is good, but there is some juggling to be done. Personally I prefer CMags with XForce for that reason among others.

Hood is clearly the best buddy for Cap, but Thor is another good option for a green outlet. A bit slow, but Hood helps there, and you're less likely to mess up your own stuff. There's a danger in PvP that you'll get Thor's red on defense, but them's the breaks, and let's face it you're not winning a lot on defense anyway, with that team or any other.
  • Just don't use X Force's moves when Captain's CDs are out unless:

1. Using X Force's moves ends the game (for them).
    2. Not using X Force's moves ends the game (for you).
  • Phantron wrote:
    Just don't use X Force's moves when Captain's CDs are out unless:
    That's about the size of it, but the point remains that you're still limiting yourself in certain ways and that's sub-optimal. Waiting turns to use powers will burn you over time. There's also the matter that if you're saving black for XForce, you're not using it for Hood, and in doing so you're losing one of the best parts of that pairing. If you really want to feature Cap, Hood and IM40 (with only one or two yellow covers, naturally) are his best caddies, green and purple be damned.

I'd also like to point out that saying XForce is a good partner for Cap, or anyone, is sort of backwards. Anyone who doesn't feature green and black can be an acceptable partner for XForce, because he's a team almost by himself.
  • Thugpatrol wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Just don't use X Force's moves when Captain's CDs are out unless:
    That's about the size of it, but the point remains that you're still limiting yourself in certain ways and that's sub-optimal. Waiting turns to use powers will burn you over time. There's also the matter that if you're saving black for XForce, you're not using it for Hood, and in doing so you're losing one of the best parts of that pairing. If you really want to feature Cap, Hood and IM40 (with only one or two yellow covers, naturally) are his best caddies, green and purple be damned.

I'd also like to point out that saying XForce is a good partner for Cap, or anyone, is sort of backwards. Anyone who doesn't feature green and black can be an acceptable partner for XForce, because he's a team almost by himself.

There's no significant advantage for using X Force earlier if it isn't going to end the game or at least down someone. Likewise Surgical Strike doesn't particularly care when it's used if it's not a game ending situation. I guess if you have 15 of some color you can destroy with Surgical Strike while Captain's CD is out you should go for it. By the way you can actually see the result from Surgical Strike so it's not as risky as it sounds if you know what the strongest color is (which isn't always possible).

I don't find Intimidation to be that great with Captain America. Once he gets going it's a very short time before the game ends. Of course you're always going to find a situation where ending the game a turn earlier does matter but in general that's not that common. It's probably more relevent for PvE than PvP because 5/5/5 overleveled enemies have a lot more ways to end the game compared to their PvP counterparts.
  • Phantron wrote:
    There's no significant advantage for using X Force earlier if it isn't going to end the game or at least down someone. Likewise Surgical Strike doesn't particularly care when it's used if it's not a game ending situation.
    Neither of those statements are true. The advantage of using either of those powers early is to reap the benefits of the ensuing cascade. Surgical Strike also generates additional AP on its own and it drains enemy AP. So yes, there are very real advantages in firing those powers earlier, because they very well may save you from taking unnecessary damage and lead you to that game ending situation much earlier than holding onto them would, like you might if one of Cap's countdowns is hanging out.
    Phantron wrote:
    I don't find Intimidation to be that great with Captain America. Once he gets going it's a very short time before the game ends. Of course you're always going to find a situation where ending the game a turn earlier does matter but in general that's not that common. It's probably more relevent for PvE than PvP because 5/5/5 overleveled enemies have a lot more ways to end the game compared to their PvP counterparts.
    How is shaving a turn off Cap's shield returns not that great? Big damage a turn earlier, the ability to lock down a target without a one turn gap for them to recover, one less turn for you to get screwed by something taking out your countdowns...it actually is pretty great. Cap's strength is that his powers return AP so you can keep the train rolling, because as single casts paying 11 for 4k damage or 12 for a two turn stun isn't really that cool, even if you can have them both on one character. Intimidation gets you to that second casting faster and more reliably, which is when Cap starts to get good.
  • (Oddly I had a hard time finding this thread)

So now that mine is halfway to covered I started using him on those very low levels on PvE, and something that bothered me is that both his red and blue animations are the same. Maybe a different one can be done? A moving arm from bottom to top, like an uppercut, launching the shield would be cool for the Red, as the launching movement looks like an attack itself.
  • Sykosonik
    Sykosonik Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Devs, any reason why you guys changed LCap's face?

It just seems like such a random decision.

More to the point, maybe fix OTHER character's faces? Cap. Marvel still looks constipated and LDaken... Just, c'mon.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hey, someone else noticed! I mentioned this to my alliance and they all looked at me like I was crazy. I don't like this new Botox Steve. Bring back Original Steve!
  • Unknown
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Am I crazy or did he always have 5 o'clock shadow?

Also they can't change Cap Marvel because then KKs "something stinks" face won't make any sense.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Poor Steve....you were such a fine looking lad but now....alas!
    This one's for you Captain! May the swelling from your surgery heal fast!
    May this facial rearrangement be temporary and not last!
    *takes another swig from the iron flask*

-fight4thedream the forum drunk (*'с'*)ノ酒