Civil War Returns! - New Event Details *Updated

Comments

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Puzzles me that the counter to my arguments, ones that don't explain away possible design choices anyway, seem to boil down to "Yeah, but it's always been like that" or "That's just how it is".

Am I the only one frustrated that 24 hours into these boss events, suddenly everything ramps up massively? Am I the only one bored to tears of the event by the last day because the minion nodes you need to clear to fight the boss are scaled higher than the boss itself? I can't be, surely.

I'm advocating that there's a better way to do it.

Someone said about clearing a node for one side opens the boss for both sides. Well, that's not a difficult fix, surely? I mean, if clearing some easy level 16 minions makes the round 8 boss open easilly, I can see where they'd want to draw the line. But their solution is to screw over *everyone* instead. Simply keep bosses seperate.

I nearly gave up on the Symbiote PvE because the scaling was painful. I skipped the heroic all together because I wanted a break. I really don't want Civil War to do the same thing. Throwing my unboosted level 270 4*s at a wall of level 340 enemies and having to use their best abilities 3 or 4 times to win followed by a healthy meal of health packs is not fun. My alliance got put off the last two civil wars because the scaling went too high too fast.

If things must be kept how they are, then please just lower the maximum scaling. Don't have the cap be level 340 enemies or worse. It's just a painful, boring slog that turns a fun event into a tedious grind.
  • PeeOne
    PeeOne Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Civil war token.... Useless moonstone... So I bought 1.... Useless 500 ISO

DOH!
  • Bryan Lambert
    Bryan Lambert Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Am I the only one frustrated that 24 hours into these boss events, suddenly everything ramps up massively? Am I the only one bored to tears of the event by the last day because the minion nodes you need to clear to fight the boss are scaled higher than the boss itself? I can't be, surely.

You're not the only one. It's one of the most maddening design choices in the game. If, as stated upthread, it's designed to be a roadblock to limit the ability of alliances to clear both sides, then why does it also happen with Ultron and Galactus, which don't have two sides?

Personally, I think they put it on timers under the idea that it roughly correlates with progress, but in practice it's an awful correlation AND the scaling isn't even remotely granular or steady. It's just an unpleasant user experience that I hope eventually gets addressed now that they seem to be on a kick to address unpleasant user experiences.
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    New gamers / late joiners are the ones that suffer the most.

You're new to the game, hey that CW thing looks cool.
    You join with an alliance, or by yourself.
    You open the node you happen to have the character for....
    Your underlevelled, undercover 1/2/3/4* vs lvl340+ nodes.
    Even your one cover 5* that you've levelled to 270 loses
    This is on level 1 of Team Cap / IM.
    You think, man this game is tough i'm playing PoGo / Fifa or something else.

Way to go, attracting new players to your marquee events.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards

You're not the only one. It's one of the most maddening design choices in the game. If, as stated upthread, it's designed to be a roadblock to limit the ability of alliances to clear both sides, then why does it also happen with Ultron and Galactus, which don't have two sides?

Personally, I think they put it on timers under the idea that it roughly correlates with progress, but in practice it's an awful correlation AND the scaling isn't even remotely granular or steady. It's just an unpleasant user experience that I hope eventually gets addressed now that they seem to be on a kick to address unpleasant user experiences.

Yeah I also hate it. IT doesn't make ANY SENSE AT ALL. Node difficulty should be dependent on round never just on time. And in general nodes should never be harder than the boss.

PS: And if it is just time based then something like day1 - 40, day2 - 140, day3 - 240, day4 - 340 so at least there is some progression
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    New gamers / late joiners are the ones that suffer the most.

You're new to the game, hey that CW thing looks cool.
    You join with an alliance, or by yourself.
    You open the node you happen to have the character for....
    Your underlevelled, undercover 1/2/3/4* vs lvl340+ nodes.
    Even your one cover 5* that you've levelled to 270 loses
    This is on level 1 of Team Cap / IM.
    You think, man this game is tough i'm playing PoGo / Fifa or something else.

Way to go, attracting new players to your marquee events.

Totally agree with this. I've been playing for almost 4 months. My best 2 chars are just 2 3* champs (one champed yesterday).

Event started yesterday, my alliance chose Team Cap. First stage was fine, I cleared all the nodes, beat the boss multiple times, gathered a bunch of points. Today morning I wake up, suddenly boss is at lvl 250, I can barely kill him, using 3 health packs. Can't acquire any decent points. Awesome.

Whole new event and after just few clears I can fk off, because I don't run around with 5* champs.

It's really discouraging. PvP is a mess for me and this is the third (!) PvE in a row, where I just won't bother. (I skipped PvE with Howard, progression was unreasonably high, and I had no interest in gimmicky character that just wastes my roster space; I skipped heroic, because of lack of featured characters [I was trying to do it, but then I encountered 3 high scoring nodes, where my best character - Ares, was locked]).
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    And in general nodes should never be harder than the boss.

This especially. It was something they learned during the Galactus run that some people, when they got far enough, were wiping out even trying to *get* to Galactus.
    They acknowledged that thematically that didn't make sense. The pins were meant to be lower ranked minions who were distracting you from your job. Not a global threat on par with Galactus himself.

And then they seemed to unlearn it and we got Civil War with level 340 enemies you must beat in order to fight a level 200 boss.

And no, the solution is not to bump the boss level to 400, thanks ¬¬
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    What I dont understand is why they dont just lock the other side once you pick one. The only way the other side unlocks is once you complete the 8th round on the side you picked. That way scaling can go up by round rather than time.

Yes, people will get irritated by not having required characters on the side you picked, but how is that any different to current PVE? Would you complain if you didn't have one of the essentials in those or just accept it?
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    at least this time I don't have to drag a 1-cover hawk into a wave node. those sucked in the later refreshes last few times.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Wow, scaling actually seem ok today with that jump at the 24 hour mark. I'm only seeing essential nodes at lvl 107 for me in the normal fights, less so in the survival nodes. (Roster below for reference). That's less than a 100 level jump than its been for the previous events likes this at the same time frame. It doesn't solve the time vs round scaling issue, buts its a very welcome surprise.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tatercat wrote:
    Wow, scaling actually seem ok today with that jump at the 24 hour mark. I'm only seeing essential nodes at lvl 107 for me in the normal fights, less so in the survival nodes. (Roster below for reference). That's less than a 100 level jump than its been for the previous events likes this at the same time frame. It doesn't solve the time vs round scaling issue, buts its a very welcome surprise.
    You sure about 107? Because mine are 97, and I have a couple of high level 5*s.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Tatercat wrote:

Yep, just doubled checked. I'm waiting for the boss timer to reset before I start again, but lvl 107 for them. I'm at day 1043, maybe that's a factor for the slight difference? Either way, this means the event will actually be fun for more than one day! icon_e_wink.gif
  • Bryan Lambert
    Bryan Lambert Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Yep, this refresh added another 30-40 levels to the essentials, a perfectly reasonable progression from the previous refreshes.

Who are these people and what have they done with Demiurge?!
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Yeah, this seems a lot better than previous boss events. I'd have to look it up to be sure, but I want to say that around this time, side nodes in boss events jumped from 60 to 200+. Mine are now at 107, which seems far more reasonable.

I will keep my fingers crossed that this more gradual scaling continues the rest of the event, and enemies don't jump to 300 on the next refresh. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Azoic
    Azoic Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    The FAQ still lists that you get a 5* variation of IM or Cap upon completing r8. Please hold this to be true icon_e_smile.gif
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    TxMoose wrote:
    everything in the game hinges on speed. pvp. pve. LRs. only things that don't are prologue, gauntlet and ddq. not sure why boss battles should be any different. they could ease the jump from level 30-300 over a few rounds at least.

That sounds like part of the problem to me...
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards

Am I the only one frustrated that 24 hours into these boss events, suddenly everything ramps up massively?

No.

Coming from an alliance that's both on the younger side and a lot of casuals we haven't cleared round 6 in any of the runs of this event. I think we might have a chance if they didn't bump up the scaling at least somewhat based on a timer. Also I would like to see them scale these events better in the future in general so that any alliance, regardless of roster, could clear one side. Some kind of cumulative (or even individual) mmr or shield rank scaling.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tatercat wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Tatercat wrote:

Yep, just doubled checked. I'm waiting for the boss timer to reset before I start again, but lvl 107 for them. I'm at day 1043, maybe that's a factor for the slight difference? Either way, this means the event will actually be fun for more than one day! icon_e_wink.gif
    Yeah no, I'm day 1030.
    Odd.
    Oh well, not complaining!
  • DrDoMe
    DrDoMe Posts: 97 Match Maker
    Hey am I the only one getting the CP from the boss fights on attempts 1/4/6?
  • chaos01
    chaos01 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    With the last refresh I have lvl 200+ essentials. Everyone else scaling the same?