Civil War Returns! - New Event Details *Updated

Comments

• zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    For the love of Mike, PLEASE tone down the scaling this time!
    I hope you guys linked scaling to progress instead of time elapsed. Why things are harder on day 4 compared to day 1 regardless of which round you're on I do not know...
    They can't make it progress due to the set up. The difficulty of sub-missions would be lopsided (more difficult on the side you had more progress in). It would have to be a shred progress to maintain a steady scaling on both sides. The sudden jump in scaling could maybe be fixed though, pretty please?
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    zodiac339 wrote:
    I hope you guys linked scaling to progress instead of time elapsed. Why things are harder on day 4 compared to day 1 regardless of which round you're on I do not know...
    They can't make it progress due to the set up. The difficulty of sub-missions would be lopsided (more difficult on the side you had more progress in). It would have to be a shred progress to maintain a steady scaling on both sides. The sudden jump in scaling could maybe be fixed though, pretty please?

Wait, why is lopsided a bad thing?
    If I'm on round 1, why should that not be easier than round 5 on the other side?

I figured that was the entire point. The further you go, the tougher the enemies. As it currently is, you're penalised for not getting to round 8 fast enough. It's not a matter of how well you can beat the current round, but how quickly you beat it. That, to me, sounds wrong.

I mean, imagine playing something like Super Mario World. If you reach the Bowser in an hour he takes two hits to kill and the enemies are standard. But if you took your time finding the secrets and enjoying the game, now he takes 20 hits to kill, fewer checkpoints and power ups, the enemies took multiple stomps to kill.....that would be batty nuggets.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    everything in the game hinges on speed. pvp. pve. LRs. only things that don't are prologue, gauntlet and ddq. not sure why boss battles should be any different. they could ease the jump from level 30-300 over a few rounds at least.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    Chipster22 wrote:
    You had me at no more crit boosts.

Actually the write-up says that Mystery Boosts have a 10% chance of giving you a Critical Boost, so they are not completely gone.
    Well, they still have their niche uses, like 4* DDQs; in a 1vs1 situation they can really make a big difference, especially if you don't have many covers for a character yet.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    TxMoose wrote:
    everything in the game hinges on speed. pvp. pve. LRs. only things that don't are prologue, gauntlet and ddq. not sure why boss battles should be any different. they could ease the jump from level 30-300 over a few rounds at least.

PvE scaling isn't linked to speed.
    The scaling increases every time you beat a node, or, if you like, the more progress you make.

Why are bosses different? The scaling increases when an arbitrary amount of time has passed. Why can it not simply be that round 1 has level 16-20 enemies, round 2 has 25-40, round 3 has 40-70 and so on and so on up to a final round of, I dunno, level 200 enemies all around?

The current system makes no sense to me, punishing you for not getting to round 8 fast enough when the only incentive to go quickly is to avoid the scaling. It's not like placement is a concern, it's one of the few purely PvE systems in the game.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    TxMoose wrote:

The scaling increases every time you beat a node, or, if you like, the more progress you make.

Why are bosses different? The scaling increases when an arbitrary amount of time has passed. Why can it not simply be that round 1 has level 16-20 enemies, round 2 has 25-40, round 3 has 40-70 and so on and so on up to a final round of, I dunno, level 200 enemies all around?

The current system makes no sense to me, punishing you for not getting to round 8 fast enough when the only incentive to go quickly is to avoid the scaling. It's not like placement is a concern, it's one of the few purely PvE systems in the game.

I think what TxMoose was getting at was that your placement in PVE suffers greatly if you're not fast enough (or if you "play on your own schedule"). In PVP, without speed you get hit more while unshielded and even in LRs when you go too slow, you get fewer seed teams at the beginning. Sure, the scaling/MMR is independent of speed for PVE & PVP, but your rewards aren't...

That said, I think we all agree that the way the nodes scale in this event make no sense whatsoever.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Thing is though...every event in this game with the exception of Gauntlet, DDQ and bosses are player versus player in some capacity. You're competing for a final placement reward of some kind.

The boss battle in particular are not in any way competitive with other alliances or players. So to have global scaling increases makes no sense to me, it should scale based purely on progression.
    If we find ourselves hitting a brick wall on one team that becomes too labourious to break through, we shouldn't be punished for switching teams and taking it easy for the last few days.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    TxMoose wrote:

The mega scaling is there to prevent alliances from clearing both sides too easily.
    Of course top alliances still clear both sides with time to spare, while smaller/lower end alliances struggle to beat the side nodes on one side if they take too long.
    It is what it is. You need to be able to consistently beat a level 450 boss to finish this, anyway.
  • I'm hoping to get confirmation that the Civil War Vault resets after all 41 pulls are made or not. With two 10x pulls I got Daisy and Red Room. I don't want to pull 10x twice more just for it not to reset.

The vault shows no reset button like many other Vaults, but again, I'm wondering if a full clear resets it.

Thanks all.
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Didn't see anyone else report about this, but maybe missed it...

I have played the Boss fight 3 times in Round 1 and Round 2 of Team IM now, and the prizes I got were 1 CP, 500 Iso and 250 Iso, so definitely NOT the advertised 1 CP as a third prize. So I guess that changed last minute before the event started unfortnately, bummer..... icon_e_sad.gif
  • Bowgentle
    Stormking3 wrote:
    I'm hoping to get confirmation that the Civil War Vault resets after all 41 pulls are made or not. With two 10x pulls I got Daisy and Red Room. I don't want to pull 10x twice more just for it not to reset.

The vault shows no reset button like many other Vaults, but again, I'm wondering if a full clear resets it.

Thanks all.
    It doesn't reset.
  • Bowgentle
    StevO-J wrote:

I have played the Boss fight 3 times in Round 1 and Round 2 of Team IM now, and the prizes I got were 1 CP, 500 Iso and 250 Iso, so definitely NOT the advertised 1 CP as a third prize. So I guess that changed last minute before the event started unfortnately, bummer..... icon_e_sad.gif
    It's not total number of plays, it's plays per round.
    First rounds go too fast to do more than a couple of fights on the middle node, but you'll get all rewards in the later rounds.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    zodiac339 wrote:

If I'm on round 1, why should that not be easier than round 5 on the other side?

Remember, the way the event is designed, clearing a side node on either side unlocks both boss nodes. Beating a boss node on either side locks the other boss node. Given that design limitation, imbalanced scaling between both sides would mean that you could clear an easy node on one side and come back and fight the tougher boss on the other side.

Now, whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is up for debate, but that seems to be the reason for the lockstep scaling of the side nodes.
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Bowgentle wrote:
    StevO-J wrote:

First rounds go too fast to do more than a couple of fights on the middle node, but you'll get all rewards in the later rounds.

Yeah, I know. But I'd be a much happier camper with 2x1CP in my pocket (as advertised) than with the 2x250 Iso I have now. Just sayin'... icon_e_wink.gif
  • Bowgentle
    StevO-J wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:
    StevO-J wrote:

Yeah, I know. But I'd be a much happier camper with 2x1CP in my pocket (as advertised) than with the 2x250 Iso I have now. Just sayin'... icon_e_wink.gif
    I hear you.
    I'd rather have 2x 25 cp than tokens that will give me at best 3 covers on yet another 5* that won't be useable for months.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sorry I didn't read the 4 pages before this.

Happy to see Civil War again... wish we had more than 1/2 a day's notice to get alliances organized.

Also no mention of scaling since a 5* is not guaranteed. Last time it was "What do you expect, the prize is a guaranteed 5*"... this time it's a 10% chance at a 5*. Even the LT in the Civil War vault is not a "Red Room" LT...

We'll see what happens when the 24 hour mark hits...
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Stormking3 wrote:
    I'm hoping to get confirmation that the Civil War Vault resets after all 41 pulls are made or not. With two 10x pulls I got Daisy and Red Room. I don't want to pull 10x twice more just for it not to reset.

Thanks all.
    It doesn't reset.

It doesn't reset. On a previous vault, I accidentally bought all tokens, not knowing that I'd get a few for free. So I couldn't use all the tokens I had.

But then after the event ended, I was able to use those tokens, so it all worked out fine.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I appreciate the large amount of XP being handed out in this event!
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    zodiac339 wrote:

Remember, the way the event is designed, clearing a side node on either side unlocks both boss nodes. Beating a boss node on either side locks the other boss node. Given that design limitation, imbalanced scaling between both sides would mean that you could clear an easy node on one side and come back and fight the tougher boss on the other side.

Now, whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is up for debate, but that seems to be the reason for the lockstep scaling of the side nodes.

But, that also could be easily changed, and ultimately make more sense thematically. Simply don't have one team's sub nodes unlock the other team's boss fight. Have them be totally independent. What's the problem then? People doing both sides? They're already doing that.

But, if that is a problem (and i disagree that it is, but that's a matter for another thread) there are other options still. Simply keep a count of how many times sub nodes on either side have been cleared, and scale on that. Every time your alliance finishes 20 sub nodes (or whatever number makes sense) raise all the subs on both sides one level. Have it happen if all 20 are on one side, if it is split 10-10, 17-3, whatever. That makes a lot more sense than arbitrary increases over time.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    When I was going to play the Steve Rogers required node, the game picked Peggy Carter for me. Made me laugh. icon_e_smile.gif