Fearless Defenders Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You mean if The Hulk... oops, I mean Malkavian doesn't get to them first right?

MALKAVIAN SMASH.
  • vudu3 wrote:
    Does this really work? If a bunch of people attack me my MMR will drop but so will my score in the event. After that, I'll have a bunch of new matches that I can win available to me but by the time I raise my score to where it was previously won't my MMR be right back to where it was at the start?

No. You lose less points than you win until 500-600. In any case, that's why you do it in lightning rounds or events you dont care about. Get 100ish points or more to be a worthwhile target and put in a tank team
  • Impulse wrote:
    vudu3 wrote:
    Does this really work? If a bunch of people attack me my MMR will drop but so will my score in the event. After that, I'll have a bunch of new matches that I can win available to me but by the time I raise my score to where it was previously won't my MMR be right back to where it was at the start?

No. You lose less points than you win until 500-600. In any case, that's why you do it in lightning rounds or events you dont care about. Get 100ish points or more to be a worthwhile target and put in a tank team

Pretty sure you don't lose full value points even up to around 900, but we're talking about say someone get +25 points and you lose 22 points.
  • Any idea why this event ends 1hr earlier than usual? it'll be 5AM for me, but I'm really sorry for the UK people (poor The Ladder...). icon_e_confused.gif
  • Phantron wrote:
    Impulse wrote:
    vudu3 wrote:

Pretty sure you don't lose full value points even up to around 900, but we're talking about say someone get +25 points and you lose 22 points.

Full point loss occurs at 500.

The difference in lost points between 498 and 501 is quite significant.
  • Emeryt wrote:
    Any idea why this event ends 1hr earlier than usual? it'll be 5AM for me, but I'm really sorry for the UK people (poor The Ladder...). icon_e_confused.gif

I'll be safely asleep, don't worry icon_e_wink.gif

Got 1001 points, and a shield through to the end. If that isn't good enough for top 5, then the effect of alliances on bracket scoring will have changed remarkably.
  • Lyrian wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Impulse wrote:
    vudu3 wrote:

Full point loss occurs at 500.

The difference in lost points between 498 and 501 is quite significant.

You lose more above 500 but it's not full. You'd lose at least 25 points being attacked by someone with equal points (or less) and I remember even at very high points you don't always lose 25 points being hit by someone with equal or less score. You end up losing like 22 which is still a lot, but it's not the full value. It just happens once you're up there you're usually getting hit by guys who would probably take 40 points off so if that's reduced down to 35, it's still pretty painful for you.
  • Phantron wrote:
    ...it's still pretty painful for you.

Yup. Tell that to the guy that just cleaned my clock with a 141 IM40 + 141 Modern Thor + 189 X-Force, on a drive-by, lol.

The joy of late entrants to a tourney icon_rolleyes.gif

Its possible. Although I don't believe I've seen any -40+s hits today (who knows, my team has been knocked so silly that it has dain bramage at this point), I know I have been hit for the high 30's many times this afternoon. If there is a modifier, I don't think it would be more than 10 or 12.5% at the most. 400-500 rating blocks 25% of ratings lost, so perhaps half of that ratings protection score might apply above 500.
  • Maybe I'm just a **** player, but it seems the only way to get past 800-900 is to continually play peek-a-boo behind shields or tank you MMR so hard that your go untouched for the first 700-800 points. Or maybe just grind through the retaliations for hours at end.

It's kind of a kick in the balls that I might spend about 300 HP in shields and not even make the 900 progression tier for the piddly 50 HP prize.
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    Maybe I'm just a **** player, but it seems the only way to get past 800-900 is to continually play peek-a-boo behind shields or tank you MMR so hard that your go untouched for the first 700-800 points. Or maybe just grind through the retaliations for hours at end.

It's kind of a kick in the balls that I might spend about 300 HP in shields and not even make the 900 progression tier for the piddly 50 HP prize.

I typically drop 600-800hp on shields in a pvp tourney. I walk away with a 4* and 3x 3*. I ain't bitchin. icon_e_smile.gif
  • I typically drop 600-800hp on shields in a pvp tourney. I walk away with a 4* and 3x 3*. I ain't bitchin. icon_e_smile.gif

It's a shame that PvP has evolved into this. When I first started playing you would do an event and (possibly) win your bracket and MAKE 500-600 HP in the process.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Toxicadam wrote:
    I typically drop 600-800hp on shields in a pvp tourney. I walk away with a 4* and 3x 3*. I ain't bitchin. icon_e_smile.gif

It's a shame that PvP has evolved into this. When I first started playing you would do an event and (possibly) win your bracket and MAKE 500-600 HP in the process.

I think for the super-high progression rewards, that's not a surprising amount of HP. But, if you just want a top 5 or top 10, I don't think shielding is completely necessary, doubly so when you can actually play during the last 30 minutes or so.
  • The way I see it, if I need the 3* covers on offer, it's worth dropping a decent chunk of HP to get them, when otherwise it would cost 1250HP a pop to directly level them yourself. I think it's getting more and more unrealistic to expect to coast to decent rewards, without investment - whether this is right or wrong, I guess that is open to debate.
  • Yep. Agreed. I got burned a couple times holding on to my 75 HP for a shield, only to miss out on the cover I wanted. I ended up paying 1250 HP once for it (my 4th BWGS green as the 5th was coming from daily rewards a day after - this was in the middle of Oscorp Heroic).
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think I've only spent 75hp on shields for tournaments where I wanted the top 1/ top 5 prize for the past couple of months now. During the recent tournaments that I didn't care about, I usually hit top 10 and make 150HP in the process. If the system was like before, I wouldn't have ever considered spending 200-300hp on shields to grind to this Psylocke cover. However, it seems like the recent trend is that D3 is slowing down the cover acquisition rate for new 3* characters, so I might consider going up to 1.1k today: it seems like the time has passed for doing that without spending 500hp+ on shields though due to how the playerbase is going to be more active in the last few hours, but eh. Might be worth a shot even though I'm never going to use Psylocke excepted when shes required.
  • I typically drop 600-800hp on shields in a pvp tourney. I walk away with a 4* and 3x 3*. I ain't bitchin. icon_e_smile.gif

That's a lot, and probably a bit optimizable... I managed the same in predator and prey with 4x 75 hp shields, ending at ~950. That, except for the invisibility trick, only saved me from 1 or 2 actual attacks. Better safe than sorry I guess.
    Then again, 90% of pvp ends at 6 am for me, so I just make happy-do with an easier top 5 using 1-2 shields, as I can't really follow the last hours and react properly to last moment climbers.

In this case, it's probably about sum of rewards... imo 1100 is worth it if you really want both IW green and Psy red badly. Or just want to show off. For me is no, somewhat, and yes. icon_lol.gif Now, what to do...
  • Il Palazzo wrote:

That's a lot, and probably a bit optimizable... I managed the same in predator and prey with 4x 75 hp shields, ending at ~950. That, except for the invisibility trick, only saved me from 1 or 2 actual attacks. Better safe than sorry I guess.
    Then again, 90% of pvp ends at 6 am for me, so I just make happy-do with an easier top 5 using 1-2 shields, as I can't really follow the last hours and react properly to last moment climbers.

In this case, it's probably about sum of rewards... imo 1100 is worth it if you really want both IW green and Psy red badly. Or just want to show off. For me is no, somewhat, and yes. icon_lol.gif Now, what to do...

I can do it a lot if time with 2x 3 hours and an 8 hour but I like to keep a comfy lead so there's no stress at the end so I'll usually overkill a tad for that purpose.
  • The Ladder wrote:
    The way I see it, if I need the 3* covers on offer, it's worth dropping a decent chunk of HP to get them, when otherwise it would cost 1250HP a pop to directly level them yourself. I think it's getting more and more unrealistic to expect to coast to decent rewards, without investment - whether this is right or wrong, I guess that is open to debate.

My problem is I was just getting to the point in my player progression where I actually had the HP to spend on shields and started getting top 5s in PVPs, and then they released Psylocke, Panther, and lazy Thor in rapid succession, so all my HP went to roster expansion again, and I'm afraid to sell off characters or take a pass on the new ones because *looks over at heroic juggernaut*

so I'm back to top 10-20s
  • Lyrian wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    ...it's still pretty painful for you.

Yup. Tell that to the guy that just cleaned my clock with a 141 IM40 + 141 Modern Thor + 189 X-Force, on a drive-by, lol.

The joy of late entrants to a tourney icon_rolleyes.gif

Its possible. Although I don't believe I've seen any -40+s hits today (who knows, my team has been knocked so silly that it has dain bramage at this point), I know I have been hit for the high 30's many times this afternoon. If there is a modifier, I don't think it would be more than 10 or 12.5% at the most. 400-500 rating blocks 25% of ratings lost, so perhaps half of that ratings protection score might apply above 500.

I posted on another thread, but I lost 35 points when I should've lost at least 37 points when I was at 700 versus a guy in 420 (650 versus 500 is +13 for win so -37 for a loss). Does that stop my rating from plummeting? No, but it's less than it could've been, though to the guy losing 40 points instead of 42, he probably doesn't really care.
  • I can do it a lot if time with 2x 3 hours and an 8 hour but I like to keep a comfy lead so there's no stress at the end so I'll usually overkill a tad for that purpose.

Killing the opposition's morale. It's evil. I like it.