[PVE] scaling [Merged Thread]

Options

Comments

• Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Gauntlet has always been difficult, even before nodes already got to 395, it was supposed to be challenging. I think the biggest problem now are the rewards, all this work just for one 4 cover? Not even three or a 5, just one 4 cover. That is the problem, devs being cheap again.
  • thanos8587
    thanos8587 Posts: 653
    Options
    the reward structure for the gauntlet is archaic. a trickle of cp, a single four and a couple threes. any three/four day event is far superior on progression alone, ignoring the fact that there are no alliance rewards for the gauntlet. and oh yeah my 1/2/5 iceman, for whom ive already scrapped FIVE purples, says hi. thanks for the time off.
  • Evilgenius_9
    Evilgenius_9 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    Options
    My first node of Alpine Tactics is lvl 263/4. My highest characters are boosted 266 Loki, boosted 258 Mystique and then my un-levelled, single cover 5 stars. I'm going to be lucky to beat Wilderness survival, let alone get into Alpine at all. Definitely sucks - and way harder than I've ever seen.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    Are you trying to actively kill your game?

You do realize that with this ridiculous scaling that players are going to play less, right? And this means they will occupy their time with other games or activities, right? And that this will make it less likely they will come back to play MPQ, right? Which will mean your game will steady lose players until there is a shell of a community left, right?

RIGHT?

Mod Edit: Clarified Title
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Well, the boss scaling has always been this way. And it makes sense they have to adjust for people with higher level rosters.

The minion scaling. Eh, it's a bit rough, especially in later rounds, when the boss can kill you real easily, it sucks to have to use health packs on the minion nodes.

But overall...it ain't 100% awful.
  • JamesV
    JamesV Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    hamsingame wrote:
    Yep, I have championed 5 stars and I'm fighting guys higher level than me in the first sub o_O

I feel like this should be happening in the last sub not the first...

Right there with you but in 4 star land. My highest level character is a 274 HB. My highest boosted character for the event clocks in at 251. Simulation 11 is all level 310.

I cannot imagine what the last sub will contain.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    Gauntlet has always been difficult, even before nodes already got to 395, it was supposed to be challenging. I think the biggest problem now are the rewards, all this work just for one 4 cover? Not even three or a 5, just one 4 cover. That is the problem, devs being cheap again.

It was difficult, sure...but not THIs difficult. I took a peak at the first node of round 3 and it was three level 366 mobs.
    I didn't get tha in the previous run until nearly the end of the line. Also remember they're level 366 now before I've completed a single node, they're only going to by higher by the time I reach that point.
  • Stony
    Stony Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Well, the boss scaling has always been this way. And it makes sense they have to adjust for people with higher level rosters.

The minion scaling. Eh, it's a bit rough, especially in later rounds, when the boss can kill you real easily, it sucks to have to use health packs on the minion nodes.

You apparently didn't see this thread yet

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=43969
  • gigatilburg29
    gigatilburg29 Posts: 88 Match Maker
    Options
    I have a decent roster of about 11 3* championed while the rest is around level 130. I already championed the good 3 stars like cyclops, kalamakhan etc...: but i cant even pass simulation 9. Im not gonna get frustrated for a gold token that will probably give me 2 louzy 2 star as i will hell not gonna get the 4 star reward so tiny kitty this while event.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If the gauntlet scales up from truly easy nodes in the level 30-100 range (depending on roster strength), and ends with truly challenging nodes (level 200-400 depending on roster strength), then it is a fun experience.

If the gauntlet STARTS at level 300 nodes for vet rosters and scales up to level 500, then it becomes a horribly tedious slog.

This isn't too complicated. Demiurge: your target scaling for 'challenging' experience clearly does not match with player's expectations or desires. If that wasn't clear from the first PVE test, then it should have been clear from the second. And if it still wasn't clear from the second test, it should have been clear from the third test. Are you going to ignore this obvious fact for a fourth time with the Gauntlet?

Do you really make extra $ hand-over-fist by cranking up the difficulty? Even if so, is it worth the bad will you are generating in your player base?
  • areacode212
    areacode212 Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'll give the devs the benefit of the doubt and assume that someone accidentally switched "Crazy Scaling" to ON when they activated this event. It has never been this bad before. Now I'm glad that the progression reward wasnt a cover that i actually needed.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

In Galactus' first round they had insanely tough enemies as you went on, but they started out low.
    In this one they started out low simply due to them forgetting to turn scaling on. Then they remembered, the levels spiked hard.

In Galactus, the community backlash was pretty significant. They realised that adding really tough minion fights you had to clear before an even tougher boss fight wasn't fun and just sapped the enjoyment out, so the made the minion fights more of a side objective, a pest to distract you for a moment before you brought your A-game to the boss. This made it way more enjoyable.

So for them to utterly forget that rule and whack the scaling up again is just baffling. I honestly wasn't expecting it since the enemies were always super easy. I figured they did that on purpose to make the game fun and enjoyable.
  • Tryke
    Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    265fb6d0afa2e6be2b64c7f7c6381679.jpg
  • TheWerebison
    Options

In Galactus' first round they had insanely tough enemies as you went on, but they started out low.
    In this one they started out low simply due to them forgetting to turn scaling on. Then they remembered, the levels spiked hard.

In Galactus, the community backlash was pretty significant. They realised that adding really tough minion fights you had to clear before an even tougher boss fight wasn't fun and just sapped the enjoyment out, so the made the minion fights more of a side objective, a pest to distract you for a moment before you brought your A-game to the boss. This made it way more enjoyable.

So for them to utterly forget that rule and whack the scaling up again is just baffling. I honestly wasn't expecting it since the enemies were always super easy. I figured they did that on purpose to make the game fun and enjoyable.

I know. Trust me, I thought that, too. You should see the post I made on the "Preemptive Praise" or whatever thread. icon_e_sad.gif

Anyway, there's another thread that says they are also doing it as a "test". Which scares me, believe you me.

I prefer how CW started. I felt it was good as it would allow more people to throw themselves at the boss, since they wouldn't be wasting health packs on the chaff. And then to suddenly run into minions that jumped up by a multiple of 3 or 4...it was like Forrest Gump suddenly running smack into a tree. And it stung probably just as much.

I think they want us to have fun. But they also want money. And you have to admit, the first way was WAY too easy for people who have been playing for a long time. My Alliance is going to get round 6 done on our 2nd boss after having gotten all the rewards for the first boss. That's 6 event tokens, 3 HB covers, 2 Falcap covers, 2 event legendary tokens, and a 5* cover in 3 days, and that's not even counting the progression rewards. All that for an Alliance where a good number of members are just in the 3-4* transition phase. Does that sound like D3's normal level of generosity?

Look. I want to believe they want to shower us with riches for a special event which will never be run again. But they don't. I imagine they wanted us to only be able to beat one boss, and then maybe switch over for a few extra event tokens on the other boss. So they had to put a choke on the event. And it sucks. It really, really sucks that they would do that in the middle of an event. I'm not defending that. But I can understand it.
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    Options

I know. Trust me, I thought that, too. You should see the post I made on the "Preemptive Praise" or whatever thread. icon_e_sad.gif

Anyway, there's another thread that says they are also doing it as a "test". Which scares me, believe you me.

I prefer how CW started. I felt it was good as it would allow more people to throw themselves at the boss, since they wouldn't be wasting health packs on the chaff. And then to suddenly run into minions that jumped up by a multiple of 3 or 4...it was like Forrest Gump suddenly running smack into a tree. And it stung probably just as much.

I think they want us to have fun. But they also want money. And you have to admit, the first way was WAY too easy for people who have been playing for a long time. My Alliance is going to get round 6 done on our 2nd boss after having gotten all the rewards for the first boss. That's 6 event tokens, 3 HB covers, 2 Falcap covers, 2 event legendary tokens, and a 5* cover in 3 days, and that's not even counting the progression rewards. All that for an Alliance where a good number of members are just in the 3-4* transition phase. Does that sound like D3's normal level of generosity?

Look. I want to believe they want to shower us with riches for a special event which will never be run again. But they don't. I imagine they wanted us to only be able to beat one boss, and then maybe switch over for a few extra event tokens on the other boss. So they had to put a choke on the event. And it sucks. It really, really sucks that they would do that in the middle of an event. I'm not defending that. But I can understand it.

Link about it being a test?
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So are we talking about the level 300+ enemies where you have to use winter soldier or Hawkeye or are we talking about the fact that in the wilderness in the gauntlet I am already seeing level 330 enemies? I though I was not suppose to see level 300+ until the end of round 2 or the beginnings of round 3?

I'm confused as to what we are talking about
  • TheWerebison
    Options
    jffdougan wrote:

Ugh, hang on a second. Finding a red post is the proverbial needle in a haystack. icon_razz.gif

Got it. And I paraphrased horribly, I have no excuse. icon_e_sad.gif

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=43910&start=20

Bottom of the page, from David Moore.

"The difficulty scaling is intended. We will look at how everyone does and adjust accordingly."

So they're still willing to adjust it, if they feel it is necessary. KIND of like a test, but obviously my brain took several uncalled for creative liberties.
  • John Wayne74
    John Wayne74 Posts: 71 Match Maker
    Options
    I have refrained from being negative on the forums. In short I have not posted as there are so few good advancements these days.

CW was fun. Scaling was tough but doable. Down side was once you completed one side you would fight level 388 side nodes to get to a level 100 4 hit boss. Kinda disproportionate.

Gauntlet. What can I say other than, with this kind of set up gauntlet is not only a chore instead of fun but here are some real world issues.

- players are (as in pvp) limited to their top guys. If a player has champed 5*'s then their 4* and below roster is quickly irrelevant in almost all matches.

- 3*'s are no longer relevant at all with champed 5*'s or even close to champed 5*'s. Funny thing is there are more 3*'s than 4's and 5's put together. Does this mean you are trying to bring back soft capping after you made most people stop soft capping? Cause that would be the only way to be able to use your entire roster at this point.

- If pve becomes this kind of slog grind undesirable endeavor, that will eliminate a substantial amount of ISO revenue from most players. Furthering the un-discussed from the devs ISO drought we all suffer from.

- gauntlet is supposed to be a fun outlet from the constant grind and placement race. Do when you want not on a schedule type of event. How in any way did someone imagine that this set up would be fun???

- yes quiting posts get monotonous and some even over-zealous but, it seems you are intentionally driving folks to do so. I am really close myself not that it matters as I went completely f2p a while back. You got more than enough of my money.

I ask one simple thing. Would someone please test this junk you're dumping on us from many different roster levels and rate it based on fun factor? Is that really too much to ask before you throw it at us???
  • TheWerebison
    Options
    wymtime wrote:
    So are we talking about the level 300+ enemies where you have to use winter soldier or Hawkeye or are we talking about the fact that in the wilderness in the gauntlet I am already seeing level 330 enemies? I though I was not suppose to see level 300+ until the end of round 2 or the beginnings of round 3?

I'm confused as to what we are talking about

Oh. Fair point. I actually don't know, just used to seeing stuff about CW, I kind of assumed.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2016
    Options
    jffdougan wrote:

Ugh, hang on a second. Finding a red post is the proverbial needle in a haystack. icon_razz.gif

Got it. And I paraphrased horribly, I have no excuse. icon_e_sad.gif

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=43910&start=20

Bottom of the page, from David Moore.

"The difficulty scaling is intended. We will look at how everyone does and adjust accordingly."

So they're still willing to adjust it, if they feel it is necessary. KIND of like a test, but obviously my brain took several uncalled for creative liberties.

That statement referred to civil war. Not the gauntlet. There was no announcement that new scaling would be in place for the gauntlet.

This is ridiculous. My global domination first node starts at 370 (symbiotes). My highest character is a 280 imhb. This seems about 50-70 levels too high.

The second sub is even worse, starting at 320 when it should be around 220.

Don't know why they are raising the time investment necessary to play pve.