Feedback Request: Versus Matchmaking Test - Magnetic Mayhem

Comments

• babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    5* tier player with 450 Surfer, 451 Phoenix, 420 OML, 18 championed 4*'s and all 3*'s championed.

Joined Shard 1 pretty late with around 10 hours to go. Started climb slowly and couldn't tell any difference from the old system. Seeds and then instantly faced with 70+ point teams of two championed 5*'s (more often then not). I couldn't play much due to work so I just hovered for a bit.

With about 5 hours left I climbed to around the 500 point mark I started to see some added variety in my usual team selection. I was starting to see 5*/4* teams and even the rare 4*/4* team. Those teams were typically worth around 28-35 points to me while the usual 5*/5* teams were still being queued for 70+ points. This variety stuck around right until the end of the pvp when I shielded around 1900.

The only hiccup came around 1050 point. The big point targets stopped and I had to climb off 25-40 points until 1350. At this point big point teams came back into the queue and I largely climbed off 65-75 point matched until 1900.

The changes were definitely positive to me.

The fact that I was able to queue weaker teams worth less points made me feel like I wouldn't get stuck in a skip prison. I still felt compelled to his the same people multiple times but it wasn't nearly as many times as I'd normally have to climb off them. I saw one cupcake on my climb so it seems like that aspect of the game wasn't impacted. All told this is a pretty subtle change but a good one. I'd like to see this stick around so long as it doesn't mean dealing with the test changes in PvE.
  • killercool
    killercool Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    I didn't notice anything different in the targets I was being offered. I was getting hit regularly from about 400 points on wards while using my team of 270 Jean Grey, 250 Hulkbuster and 301 Magneto, where as in other pvp events with a team like that I may get hit once before reaching 800 points.
  • I was liking it climbing, didn't get boxed in as much as before, but now I shielded for last 3 hours, took my coins but I'm losing points. Can't re shield because it showing active, but my points are dropping icon_e_sad.gif
  • I like it
    Never before reached 1k points that fast and easy icon_e_smile.gif
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Climbed from 0 with about 14 hours to go in S1, didn't notice much of a difference.
    Maybe points offered were a bit lower from 300 to 600, from 600 it was the usual S1 BC crowd.
    Did see a CC at 899, which hasn't happened in a while, might be cause there was low traffic at the time of the climb.
    Ran out of targets, so first shield at 1200, had no problem queueing CCs after that.

So business as usual.

Roster: OML 345, 5 covered Phoenix and SS at 255, 10 champed 4*s, 32 champed 3*s.

I say keep it if it makes things better for the majority of players.
  • Edith09
    Edith09 Posts: 48
    I´m not big PVP expert, but I like this change. Before I encountered lot of 4 star.png teams with my character non boosted on level 130-140 (so boosted around 200) and 2 5 star.png (3 covers SS and 2covers Phoenix). In this PVP I saw lot of 3 star.png (mostly champions) but it quite playable.
  • donietsche
    donietsche Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    5* user, didn't see much of a change. The "jailing" effect is still there for the most part, which means that roster composition still has too much priority over current scores.

Hopefully the new mmr formula will be tweaked to make the latter factor much more relevant.
  • Natsufan01
    Natsufan01 Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    Climb to 900ish was easier, as I often struggle to 800. I've hit 1k only a handful of times and looks like I'm screwed out of this one.

Once past 900 points I am stuck with two people that are 20ish points and everyone else I can queue are worth single digits.

Never come across that before, and I don't like it. As far as my roster. I have 7 5* covers across all 5 of the 5*. I have a few 4* at or above 10 covers, but none maxed. And I have just over half of the 3* champed.
  • Zappa
    Zappa Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
    3 to 4* transitioner with 13 max 3*s and no usable/max covered 4*s, and 2 min level 5*s rostered.
    This pvp was infinitely more fair. Instead of a wall of max 4*s that I have to skip at every level in normal pvp (straight out of the gate after seeds), I fought mid-max 3* teams from right after seeds all the way up to 850 in one go. Points were slightly lower, but there were always teams of 40+ points (after a few skips sometimes). This seems like a great fix for the problem of rostering 5*s when at a lower tier.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm in s4 so still time to finish, but initial returns were fine.

My climb from 0-600 is usually 90-95% boosted 3* or 3*/4* combos, this time l saw more boosted 4* combos, but they were also worth 50-60 points compared to typically climbing off 40s, so I'm ok with that trade off.

As others said, if you can still find cakes, then the end game is fine.

Roster: Champed 4Cyc, XDP; level 229 Iceman (boosted to 300+); 4-5 other Champed 4*s.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    I'll chime in and agree that the initial climb up to about 800 felt like there were less skips. Once I got to 800+ it didn't feel any different than the old matchmaking.

One note, I joined the event right as it started and was able to hit 200 on seeds and I let it sit after that with CMags and Jeanbuster out. I got hit a ton more this event by really high level 5* rosters so that was 10+ retals I just laughed at and skipped. I'm not sure if my level 270 Phoenix with 11 covers was a factor in that or if it was just more traffic due to folks trying out the new formula.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've climbed to 700s so far, and it does feel a little different.

The Good: easier to find high-point targets.

The Bad: less variety; most of those high-point targets were allies I didn't want to hit. I used to see a good mix of boosted 3* teams on the way up, but now EVERYTHING has a 5* in it. Once in a blue moon I saw someone running Jeanbuster. But I'd say 90% of everything I queued was OML with either champed XDP, champed Ice, or Phoenix. More boring than usual.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm up to about 500 in the 4th slice. What I have been seeing after the seeds is very uneven difficulty teams. Some are 3*s (mix of low champions and less than 166), while others are maxed/champion Jeanbuster and Iceclops. If that was smoothed out in the middle that would probably be equal footing with my roster: most 3*s and 2*s championed, XFW and Thor championed with next highest 4* is Kingpin at 200, best 5* is Phoenix 1/0/3 at level 261. I would say my levels are there but not on the top-tier characters (which will change when i can pull 1 to 2 more covers on most of those).
  • Vohnkar
    Vohnkar Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    I'm a 3->4* transition player. I usually start seeing maxed 4* teams around 300 points. I usually go for 650-800 points, after reaching 600 I see too many 4-5* and have to waste a toon of ISO skipping, so I don't bother to go for more.

On this event things went a lot better. I've been fighting rosters similar to mine, maxed 3* teams with some 4* . I can find matches that gives me 38-40 withing a couple of skips and they are 3* or not maxed 4*. I've had an easier way to get to 625. Now I'm Shielded for the last 3 hours because I'm starting to be attacked a lot.

So, for me its a nice change.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a level 420 OML and several maxed 4*s and this PvP has been much easier for me. Usually I see max 4* teams right off the bat, but this time I've seen plenty 3*/4* teams and a lot of underleveled XFW. I haven't seen Fistbuster or Fist/XFW teams like this in months. It's been a very easy climb to 800. I'm going to make my climb to 1300 soon so I'll see how it's different at the higher point totals.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    I have an established 4-start roster, smited by the RNG gods. Climbed to 1300 with 1 shield. I like it.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Climbed late, so didn't notice any changes at all. Everyone I know reports either favourably or indifferently.
  • apmonte
    apmonte Posts: 72
    Top Roster: 1 cover OML + 4 championed 3-stars.

Can't say I noticed much difference in the level of the opponents. With my recently championed magneto, this is the first verses where OML wasn't my highest level character. It did seem that I had a harder time finding higher point targets. It might be perception, but it also seemed that I didn't see as many 4-star opponents. I didn't get hit in my climb past 650, where I shielded, so it's possible that I was less of a target (not sure). Maybe I should have tried to climb to 800 before shielding (never made it that far). Overall, if you hadn't told us the scaling was changed in this event, I'm not sure that I'd have noticed any change.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I didn't have issue finding opponents although over 1000 points I did still see a few people only worth single fidget points. There should be a min point for each match that you can should not have to waste ISO to skip a 4point match.
  • adamdivine
    adamdivine Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    I have a mostly 3* roster with about 9 of them in the 140's. I have had a positive experience so far. Being matched with much more appropriate opponents. Before it was either bearing up on under leveled people or trying my luck on teams way over my head. Now I have plenty of matches to choose from that are very similar to my roster. I am currently sitting in the mid 600's for reference. This may be the first time I have a real shot at 800