Feedback Request: Versus Matchmaking Test - Magnetic Mayhem

Options
David [Hi-Fi] Moore
David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
MPQ fans,

The designers at Demiurge are reading through all of the helpful feedback you've provided on the recent Enemy of the State scaling testing. For organizational purposes, we're firing up a thread here specifically for your feedback on the new matchmaking testing during Magnetic Mayhem.

What has your experience been like? What is your opinion regarding difficulty levels and the types of opponents you are matched with, etc.?

As always, thank you for your thoughts. The team is reading and evaluating your input and finds it very helpful.

Comments

• Bossblack
    Bossblack Posts: 80 Match Maker
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I like it so far. After the seed teams I no longer face maxed 5* teams right away. (I am using 420 SS and 375 OML) Also I am able to climb to 650+ facing variety of the teams; e.g. Maxed 3*, max 4* and some low level 5*.
    As I am only on the first 3 hour of the shard, and most people with max 5* teams has yet to start so I may see something different later on today.

Edit: After playing for 18 hours.. I am starting to cycle through the same target over and over again similar or higher than my team levels. I spent over 1K ISO just to cycle through the same 4 targets at current score of 680. At this point I did not feel any difference or changes to the MMR.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    As above, I like it so far. Got up to 700 way earlier than normal as there was a good mix of teams on the way up, 2*s till about 400, 3*s with occasional 4 or 5* in tow, now I'm seeing more pairs of 4s, but still plenty of 3s. Will be interesting to see how it goes later when the big boys come out to play, and how my push to 1000 goes.

Running championed Magneto and Blade with either 140 (boosted up to 2something) or 153 3* Ironman.

All good so far.
  • Bryan Lambert
    Bryan Lambert Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So far, it's almost identical for me. I have nearly all 3*'s maxed and champed, one maxed 4*, a couple of cover-maxed 4*'s, a total of three usable 4*'s (HB, XFW, XFDP). I'm seeing the same mix of champed 3*'s, maxed 4*'s, and the occasional low-level 5* I used to see, at least in the early going.

There may be a bit more variety in terms of underleveled 4*'s in the teams I'm seeing, but it's tough to tell at this point.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,756 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have a 3 star roster, 10 or so champed as my highest heroes. No 4 stars worth noting. I am seeing no change at all as expected as the criteria change doesn't seem to effect me. Already measured on the same characters. They already had 13 covers. That said I did sell my 5 star because it was screwing me, so I am curious how this is on players like me with a 5 star or 2 with low covers icon_e_smile.gif
  • firpo22
    firpo22 Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I have a bunch of championed 3*, some 4* that are mostly useless and a 5* with three covers of the same color. Before the scaling set it up so that the opponent was always the boosted character and two championed 3*, maybe thrown in a 4* or 5*. I don't see anything different. I was hoping for a little variety.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My Roster: Most star.pngstar.pngstar.png characters championed, except for a handful of lousier ones. I have a grand total of *one* fully covered four star (Invisible woman), and have X-Force, 4Thor, Hulkbuster, and Nick Fury with enough covers to be usable. Every other four star is at one to eight covers. No four star is above 183.

My experience with the new matchmaking: Small improvement - I've seen fewer maxed 4-star teams, and quite a few under-leveled 4-stars, which is nice. I also have run across a few mixed 2/3 star teams, which is a nice change of pace. I also haven't seen a single OML with more than two covers in my climb to 300. I'll update when I push to 600 tomorrow evening.
  • NickHewitt12
    NickHewitt12 Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It seems good. I've got a solid 4* / transitioning to 5* roster and experienced a comfortable climb, definitely a better experience than the PVE test.
  • Rodolfo78
    Rodolfo78 Posts: 70 Match Maker
    Options
    I'm playing champed 2*, with all else under development, including 2 single cover 5*. When I first rostered a 5*, it seemed like my available opponents suddenly became primarily champed 3*, which made things tough. I can now find many more players in my roster strength range, albeit for somewhat lower points per match.

It seems like mega-roster players are still tending to hit me at the beginning of their climb. No big deal, just can't retaliate.

Overall seems positive for folks in my position. I look forward to my 1k CP for constructive feedback, thanks.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Only climbed to just over 300, but so far my experience is identical to previous PvPs, which is great, since I've always thought my MMR was in a pretty good spot. For reference, I have about a dozen champed 4*s, all the 3*s champed and 17 5* covers in a completely useless spread across the 5 characters. After seeds I see a mixture of champed 3*s, some maxed 4*s and some media covered 5*s, just like I always see. No complaints here so far, and if this improves the experience for 3* players then I'm all for it.
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I am happy with this implementation so far. My top are

Phoenix 270 1-cover
    SS 270 1-cover
    Psylocke 195(boosted)
    2*Thor 185(boosted)
    OBW 181(boosted)
    Quake 153(boosted)
    XFDP 140(boosted) 1-cover
    SW 127
    Shulk 127

After the seed teams, I normally ended up with max 3* teams or 1-covered 5* + a max 3* team until around 400 mark then started to see max 4* team (nothing else in between). This time after the seed teams, I see max 2* teams both boosted and not boosted and half level 3* team (Lv120). Once I pass 400 mark, I start to see teams with 1-cover 5* with either max 2* champed or half leveled 3*. Just pass 500 mark still see the same. I got hit every now and then with max 3* teams and max 4* teams. The first hit was when I already passed 300 mark. I don't mind getting hit though since now climbing back up does not mean dealing with max 3* teams anymore.

On a side note, I am not alone after all. There are people with rosters similar to mine in pvp.

PS: Just see this thread after already posted in the announcing thread. Copy and paste my post from there then.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have found no difference between this and regular matchmaking. However this may be due to the fact that Sanctuary decided to invade our shard this event for a pissing contest.
  • MrTrix
    MrTrix Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Options
    For my particular case (fairly new player mainly 1* characters (all around level 50, max amount of covers), and a few 2*'s, 3*s and one 4* (all with a very limited amount of covers):
    Don't know if I'm supposed to be able to participate in this event at all or not, but even at the lowest level (vs Magneto, where the two other opponents are very low level), Magneto single-handedly wiped out my entire party. And after that first failed attempt, the level of the other two opponents went up, so subsequent matches were even harder.
    In other words: I wasn't even able to win 1 single entry match in this event. So if lower level players are supposed to participate in this event, then from that perspective I'd say "test failed".
  • elusive
    elusive Posts: 261 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think I have every 3 star at this point, with the majority of them fully covered, but only 15 of them have been leveled to 166 or higher (the rest are sitting around level 40, i.e. unleveled). I don't have any leveled or fully covered 4 stars and sold my only 5 star a while back to try to reduce scaling. Anyway, right out of the gate, I'm seeing two boosted 3 star teams (i.e. level 242-293) and one with a boosted 3 star with two 5 stars. Maybe I don't know how to play the game any more (I used to place near the top of PvP a long time ago, back when Nick Fury was just being released), but I know I'm going to burn through so many health kits if I take these guys on, and given how often this game loves to trigger cascades for the AI, there's a very real chance that I'd lose horribly regardless. And these are the teams I'm seeing with 101 points.

I don't know what I did to you guys, but almost every single change you've done in the past month or so (DDQ, PvE, PvP) seem to be tailored towards screwing anyone at my level (yes, DDQ isn't impossible for me, but it can still be a royal pain in the tinykitty with the nonstop Ultron waves, whereas it used to be a somewhat fun way of slowly expanding my 3 star roster), and I feel like all I do is complain on this forum any more due to how devoid of fun this is becoming.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Puce Moose wrote:
    My Roster: Most star.pngstar.pngstar.png characters championed, except for a handful of lousier ones. I have a grand total of *one* fully covered four star (Invisible woman), and have X-Force, 4Thor, Hulkbuster, and Nick Fury with enough covers to be usable. Every other four star is at one to eight covers. No four star is above 183.

My experience with the new matchmaking: Small improvement - I've seen fewer maxed 4-star teams, and quite a few under-leveled 4-stars, which is nice. I also have run across a few mixed 2/3 star teams, which is a nice change of pace. I also haven't seen a single OML with more than two covers in my climb to 300. I'll update when I push to 600 tomorrow evening.

This is mostly my same roster except I also have 4 5* dudes, 3 of which have 5-6 covers, one of which is actually max leveled for those covers (OML).

I joined my slice super early for science. I haven't seen a huge change in the way I was being matched from before but my slice also isn't filled yet (or at least wasn't when I went to bed). I climbed the same amount I usually do at the beginning of a slice, and I saw very similar team to what I usually see. This might all change as the slice comes closer to closing and the big hitters start to really climb. I'll edit and report back.

Edit: With 17 hours left in my slice, I'm at 1165 and at 21st place. Top player is at 2253. My scaling has been about the same as before and once I hit 1K-ish I'm still seeing cupcakes (eaten 2, baked 1). Though I do not recognize the top players in my bracket, I am not usually entered into the slice this early in advance. Looking at their rosters though, these are the people I would expect to be at the top. If this new scaling is helping someone I'm happy about it but I'm not really seeing too much of a change. I'll make another report toward the end of the event.
  • Yoik
    Yoik Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Hello,

I saw a couple of seed teams which is normal. The remainder I have seen so far are all roughly my level. I’m skipping less opponents to get what would term a fair match. There are less 4 star teams I am seeing. I have every 3 star champed but only 2 4 stars fully leveled. I have a few 5 star covers . Looking at the teams I have seen and their own rosters it looks like they are usually on a par with my current roster.

I am currently on 400 points. I’ll see how the rest of it goes but it seems positive so far.
  • Deadpool369
    Deadpool369 Posts: 53 Match Maker
    Options
    I have 20 champed 3 stars no 4 stars are cover maxed but I do have them at levels as far as they can go and a handful of 5 star covers. So far I have noticed no significant changes through my climb up to around 600. Even retail nodes seem about the same with the constant jeanbuster attacks that I normally see
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So far so good, event is moving smoothly, i am seeing less max 5* teams, and more right on par (some identical in every way) to mine. I like this.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    Options
    No significant change here either, I am maxed 3-star with the occasional high level but not maxed 4star. I have a couple of 5 but they do not seem to be boosting the levels noticeably.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    In general I would say I like it.

My roster has no useable 4* yet. A little over half of my 3 stars are champed with 177 or so being my highest. I have 2 5 stars both with 2 covers that I have put no iso in.

So far it gives me matches vs similar rosters for the most part. I like not feeling like I have to take on 4* to get to about 600 where I tend to average.

Before the test I would finish seed teams and be looking at at least 1 champed 4* on the enemy team. It was frustrating.

So I like this new method and hope it sticks around.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My general impression, as someone with one strong (not maxed) and two very weak 5* and only four maxed 4* characters is that it seems not to have changed too much, but I haven't been presented with any of the maxed OMLs or champed 5* that are an automatic skip for me. Mild changes, but welcome.