Versus Matchmaking Test - Magnetic Mayhem (3/22/16)*Updated

Options

Comments

• Tryke
    Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    From what's been mentioned, it seems like this new matchmaking is meant to benefit mainly those with low cover 5*s. I suspect that apart from those teams with lowbies and a 5*, there shouldn't be much difference for the majority of us.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tryke wrote:
    From what's been mentioned, it seems like this new matchmaking is meant to benefit mainly those with low cover 5*s. I suspect that apart from those teams with lowbies and a 5*, there shouldn't be much difference for the majority of us.
    pretty sure I just heard a collective "whew" from the gallery. sigh of relief indeed. I've seen more boosted 4* teams, but several were worth big points that I did not previously get before. before I'd have to slog through some 45 pt matches for a while before I found anything 60+. I've already hit 2 for 60+ here. one queued directly after seeds. could just be an anomaly, but i'll take it.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,313 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Others have said it already, but the problem with a scaling/matchmaking system that measures just covers is the same as one that measures just levels: it's doesn't accurate reflect roster strength.

It's easy enough to get a single 5* that completely destroys your scaling but is mostly useless with just once cover (still can't believe they didn't think of this problem before releasing 5*s and haven't fixed it in 6+ months). But it's also easy to have a full covered 3* or 4* but nowhere near enough iso to level them (personally, i have an iso gap of something like 2.5mil.). So looking at just one factor is never going to work properly across all players. Even looking at both together can be problematic because it's possible to have weak, high leveled characters (5*s), and weak high covered characters (4*s without iso to level) on the same roster!

But they could significantly increase the iso flow, which would free more players to level their characters as they gain covers, and thereby make the existing scaling mechanisms work better.

This without touching that a 270, 13-cover Chulk is nowhere near a 270, 13-cover Rulk. But the game sees them as equal.
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I am happy with this implementation so far. My top are

Phoenix 270 1-cover
    SS 270 1-cover
    Psylocke 195(boosted)
    2*Thor 185(boosted)
    OBW 181(boosted)
    Quake 153(boosted)
    XFDP 140(boosted) 1-cover
    SW 127
    Shulk 127

After the seed teams, I normally ended up with max 3* teams or 1-covered 5* + a max 3* team until around 400 mark then started to see max 4* team (nothing else in between). This time after the seed teams, I see max 2* teams both boosted and not boosted and half level 3* team (Lv120). Once I pass 400 mark, I start to see teams with 1-cover 5* with either max 2* champed or half leveled 3*. Just pass 500 mark still see the same. I got hit every now and then with max 3* teams and max 4* teams. The first hit was when I already passed 300 mark. I don't mind getting hit though since now climbing back up does not mean dealing with max 3* teams anymore.

On a side note, I am not alone after all. There are people with rosters similar to mine in pvp.
  • MrTrix
    MrTrix Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I already posted this in the Feedback Request thread, but I see the majority of the discussion is taking place in this thread, so I'll post it here as well:

For my particular case (fairly new player mainly 1* characters (all around level 50, max amount of covers), and a few 2*'s, 3*s and one 4* (all with a very limited amount of covers):
    Don't know if I'm supposed to be able to participate in this event at all or not, but even at the lowest level (vs Magneto, where the two other opponents are very low level), Magneto single-handedly wiped out my entire party. And after that first failed attempt, the level of the other two opponents went up, so subsequent matches were even harder.
    In other words: I wasn't even able to win 1 single entry match in this event. So if lower level players are supposed to participate in this event, then from that perspective I'd say "test failed".
  • chaos01
    chaos01 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I have a 21 champion 3 star team. With one semi usable 4 star (teen jean) lvl 220. I have seen basically no difference in my initial climb to 400... Except the teams that are hitting me. Using champ blade lvl 245, champ hood lvl 246, champ magneto lvl 298. Getting destroyed by max 5 star teams or champion 4 stars. And that is me being at 400 points.
  • chaos01
    chaos01 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    MrTrix wrote:
    I already posted this in the Feedback Request thread, but I see the majority of the discussion is taking place in this thread, so I'll post it here as well:

For my particular case (fairly new player mainly 1* characters (all around level 50, max amount of covers), and a few 2*'s, 3*s and one 4* (all with a very limited amount of covers):
    Don't know if I'm supposed to be able to participate in this event at all or not, but even at the lowest level (vs Magneto, where the two other opponents are very low level), Magneto single-handedly wiped out my entire party. And after that first failed attempt, the level of the other two opponents went up, so subsequent matches were even harder.
    In other words: I wasn't even able to win 1 single entry match in this event. So if lower level players are supposed to participate in this event, then from that perspective I'd say "test failed".

Unfortunately PVP is not for you currently. With no developed 2 stars you shouldn't really be playing PvP and should be focussing on PVE. PVP has never been kind to one star rosters. We have all gone through it.
  • MrTrix
    MrTrix Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Options
    chaos01 wrote:
    Unfortunately PVP is not for you currently. With no developed 2 stars you shouldn't really be playing PvP and should be focussing on PVE. PVP has never been kind to one star rosters. We have all gone through it.

Thanks for the confirmation. Before this, I've been trying out some of the other PvP events. I never expect to get very far, but usually it's enough to at least be able to win some ISO, and once in a while, a 2* cover. This time I couldn't even get past the first match. So I guess I'll stick with PvE until my roster has advanced a bit more...
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MrTrix wrote:
    chaos01 wrote:

Thanks for the confirmation. Before this, I've been trying out some of the other PvP events. I never expect to get very far, but usually it's enough to at least be able to win some ISO, and once in a while, a 2* cover. This time I couldn't even get past the first match. So I guess I'll stick with PvE until my roster has advanced a bit more...

If you get in early (start in the opening minutes or at least check the rewards screen prior to the event's start), you should be able to face a minimum of three "seed" teams (computer teams with a 1/1/1 of the feature character plus two other 1* characters ranging from level 1-30, depending on who's boosted for the event/week). Those three wins get you to 100 points and you'll at least get some iso and two standard covers (one for progression at 50pts and one for minimum placement). It's still worth doing PVP for that, but you probably won't have much luck beyond that until you start getting maxed 2*'s.

As for my event, my highest level characters:
    Magneto 3* - Level 250 (boosted)
    Thor 2* - Level 211 (boosted)
    Blade - Level 200 (boosted)
    Daredevil - Level 200 (boosted)
    Psylocke - Level 200 (boosted)
    Black Widow 2* - Level 191 (boosted)
    The Hood - Level 188 (boosted)
    Devil Dinosaur -Level 144, but cover-maxed
    Few other 3*'s - Level 131 (waiting for iso), but cover-maxed
    I also have a 8-cover Nick Fury & a 6-cover Captain Falcon, for what it's worth--none of my other 4*'s have more than 4 covers

So far, I've seen 3 seeds, a team of loaner/1-cover OML/champed 2*Thor and otherwise only teams identical to mine (Magneto/Blade/2* Thor) give or take the a few levels. One of the mirror matches was 64 points, but otherwise my next three highest scoring matchups were against the seeds. Honestly, other than most every matchup being worth only ~20-25 pts, it's not much different from previous events...maybe fewer 1-cover 5* opponents available, so far. If they hadn't announced the test, I honestly don't think I'd know one was going on...
  • mazerat
    mazerat Posts: 118
    Options
    Ran with loaner Mags / 115 Ms. Marvel / 110 CStorm. Had no trouble grinding to a bit over 400 to finish off my 10-pack. Usually I register early, hit the seed teams, and then let it sit while people build up points. I never get hit during this time while I'm sitting at about 100 points. This time, though, I got hit for 2-3 points a whole bunch of times. Not a big deal, just different. Teams seemed pretty homogeneous--lots of boosted 2-star Thors. I don't recall seeing many "no way I can beat that" teams--was mostly just skipping for points rather than dodging.
  • bat_239
    bat_239 Posts: 48
    Options
    Climbed to 600. No difference so far. 4 maxed 4stars + a bunch of championed 3stars in my roster...
  • CyberVenom2001
    CyberVenom2001 Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I am pleasantly surprised with this PVP. Not only does it feel fairer, but I've actually been able to do immensely better than almost every other PVP in the game.
  • WelcomeDeath
    WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Overall positive experience for me. Saw a wider range of teams, from lvl 166 to lvl 375 or so. Good to have some teams to beat up on as well as some challenges. I liked the balance and no queueing the same people over and over (until after 1k or so, but ml ost people there are shielded, so nothing you can do). I like this system. Keep it. Trash the pve one or greatly modify, but keep the pvp.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    firethorne wrote:
    Well, I was hovering around 500 points, but then was hit by a fully covered Silver Surfer/Phoenix team, both over level 420. I'm only using champion Magneto, Hood and Punisher, and don't have any maxed 4*s...

The teams climbing have seemed maybe a bit easier than usual, but since I'm a ways from hitting progression, Things aren't usually too crazy under 600 on a normal event. I'll withhold judgment for now. Receiving a 5* best down this early in the climb makes me skeptical.

Well, I hit my 1000. Still had to shield hop to get there. It didn't seem significantly different for me. The over 700 matches did scale up from the original climb, with a lot of skipping significantly stronger opponents only to have them show up in two or three skips, per usual. So, it didn't really hurt me, it didn't really help me.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Up to ~750 was great - a large variety of teams for a large variety of poitns. I was able to float around 700 (300 Phoenix + championed/boosted 4* Cyc) overnight with only one hit - usually the max/boosted 4*'s just roll over me for the entire event, which gets tiresome.

Past 800 was same old PVP, mostly 4* champed teams (often with one member boosted that week), lots of 350+ 4*'s, lots of seeing the same team over and over when skipping.

HOWEVER, due to holiday travel restrictions I took the worst slice (2), where points are scarce in the best of times from what I hear. Usually I take S4/5, so both the "didn't get hit much" and "didn't find teams/points past 800" might have something to do with slice.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't play PvP too often any more, so my frame of reference is a bit limited.

But undid play epicenter and magnetic mayhem back to bback and much preferred the experience in epicenter.

Matches were similar through about 600, but I then had a much much harder time finding worthwhile matches in mayhem. Many more skips, and frequently found myself locked in a cycle of just 400+ 5* opponents (much to strong for me).

My own roster is trapped in the 4* transition. I have a champ xpool, so I used him with im40 in both events. I have a cramped cmags too for use in mayhem. I typically play slice 4, but in mayhem I went with slice 2 in an attempt to get 1st overall and earn that previous cyclops cover (alas, no luck. . .)

In epicenter I was able to climb to 1150 without shields and only taking 1 hit. In mayhem I started getting attacks at 800 and never go past 960 (lost 150 points during my last attempt to go 960-->1k).

Some of the difference is undoubtedly the switch in slices. There are just fewer points available in slice 2. But overall I think that the old mmr system was better for players in my position (3 4* champs, full 3* roster with 20+ champs, mobusable 5*s). Not sure how representative I am of the playerbase as a whole, but I for one would prefer the old system since my primary concern is ease of reaching 1k without shields.
  • Dashing Pumba
    Options
    As for me new system is more useful. I don't have any maxed 5 or 4* characters, so my 3* team has an apropriate match up to 850 points.
    At last i dont have to meet maxed 4* teams on 600+ points.
  • BigBZ32
    BigBZ32 Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Doesn't feel any different than before for me. 1k was a little more difficult for me, but I think that was due to the featured being CMags over matchmaking. Had to dig into DDQ vault to get healthpack.png. My slice was kind of dry, but climbing to 700-800 I was seeing same kinds of teams I usually see. I feel I found more boosted 4* teams from 800-1000 than I usually do, but I have champed 4Cyc so makes sense. Shielded at 1k and seeing same kinds of matches as normal for my hopping to 1.3k.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My team of Magneto with maxed 4* Cyclops and Iceman is getting hammered by 5* teams whenever I stray above 600 points. In Epicenter I barely got hit at all, including going from 1000 to 1300 in a single shield. So there's definitely a difference in who's finding me.
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm one of the people suffering from a handful of single-cover 5*s on a modest 3* roster. This test was a net positive for me.

Usually, once I finish off seed teams, I immediately start seeing 4* teams, which is pretty awful when you're fielding 3x 170s (or maybe one ~200 if one of my few 3* champs is boosted). It's then an annoying climb to 650, where I waste absurd amounts of ISO trying to find level-appropriate teams. After 700, forget it. I've only reached 800 twice.

For this event, the climb to 700 was much smoother. I'd say 70% of the teams I got matched against were triple 170-ish, with some occasional characters in the 200-245 range. Which is a lot more appropriate for my level range.

I'm shielded now so I can't speak to the 700-1000 climb yet, but I wouldn't consider it unfair if MPQ started throwing 4* teams at me at this point. It's the climb from 100-650 that seemed completely screwed up, and appeared improved for this event.